• 184 results
#1 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

This is just a quick post about people who claim to have OCD when they obviously don't. The most recent example of this is when Drew was talking bout super meat boy in the day 2 goty video. I have actual OCD, that means Obessive Compulsive Disorder, and let me tell you, there is way more to OCD than just wanting to collect everything in a video game. This will probably get shut down but i just wanted to say it pisses me off. You dont have OCD shut up. Also this goes for everyone who does that same sort of thing its not just Drew. Also i totally dont hate Drew i think hes super cool actually i just dont like it when people say they have OCD when they really dont, and probably dont even know that much about the condition and how much it can negatively affect people's lives.

#2 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3483 posts) -

I don't have OCD^^

#3 Posted by Vinny_Says (5707 posts) -

d'you snap your fingers and turned the light switch 8 times after writing this?

I kid! People say they have shit they don't have all the time....

#4 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

It's just something people say to express how addicted they can get over things. It's like saying something is the worst, when talking about some mundane thing like waiting in line at a bank. No ones actually comparing waiting in line at a bank to the holocaust, getting raped or a genocide. It's just a quick thing people say to get across something without going into detail. It's not making light of the actual OCD condition.

#5 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

OCD is generally overblown, much like ADD, 'cept I actually do have ADD, and it leads to weird perfection streaks which can be construed as OCD. As long as you keep your disorder in check, you're good to go.

#6 Posted by ChristianCastillo (1178 posts) -

Why so serious?

#7 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -

You know what bothers me even more?

When people say " I'm OCD" instead of "I have OCD".

#8 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

I don't have OCD....
#9 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -

I have OC without the D.

#10 Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -

It's just as bad as the number of people who claim they're bi-polar.

#11 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Its an expression, you should know that

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

When did I say that I have OCD? I don't ever recall saying that, like, ever. Speaking of which, why should I shut up?

I realize what you're saying; I just like fucking with your wording :P.

#13 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Someone might need to take something out of their ass...

#14 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

I doubt anyone who has ever claimed to have "raped" someone else in a video game has ever actually done it. It's an expression, politically incorrect as it may be. Same thing with people using OCD.

#15 Posted by bhhawks78 (1206 posts) -

People who get offended by colloquial sayings are the literal worst.  OMG YOU ARENT ADDICTED OMG RAPE ISNT FUNNY OMG COLLECTABLES ARENT AN OCD

#16 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -
@bhhawks78 said:
" People who get offended by colloquial sayings are the literal worst.  OMG YOU ARENT ADDICTED OMG RAPE ISNT FUNNY OMG COLLECTABLES ARENT AN OCD "
This.
#17 Posted by fearthephins (148 posts) -

People claim a lot of things so sometimes it's best to just ignore them when they bring up something like this. I have tons of friends who truly believe they have OCD or ADD though they clearly don't have the disorder. It is annoying but hey there's not much we can do about it .... becuase even if you would describe to them what the disorders are actually like they probably would still believe they have it.

#18 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
" @bhhawks78 said:
" People who get offended by colloquial sayings are the literal worst.  OMG YOU ARENT ADDICTED OMG RAPE ISNT FUNNY OMG COLLECTABLES ARENT AN OCD "
This. "
Well maybe if you were raped or had an addiction or had OCD you would get fucking pissed off by someone taking what is a lifelong struggle in your existence lightly, so why don't you fuck off?
#19 Edited by Johnny5 (1355 posts) -

Eh I usually say "I have obsessive compulsive tendencies"  

Like whenever I spend any sum of money I have to weigh up the pros and cons and then research it for ages (like a week minimum). Usually takes me forever to buy anything T.T. That and I have to constantly go back to check if I indeed did lock my car lol, but often I don't so thats just clumsiness right?!

#20 Posted by Fezz (441 posts) -

I have OCD and it doesn't bother me at all.

#21 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5257 posts) -

I don't think anyone claims they have that stuff at all.  It's like an expression.  Sorry if it offends you?

#22 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
"It's just something people say to express how addicted they can get over things. It's like saying something is the worst, when talking about some mundane thing like waiting in line at a bank. No ones actually comparing waiting in line at a bank to the holocaust, getting raped or a genocide. It's just a quick thing people say to get across something without going into detail. It's not making light of the actual OCD condition. "

Pretty much this.  Drew's not suggesting he actually has OCD.
#23 Edited by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -
@chililili said:

" @DystopiaX said:

" @bhhawks78 said:
This. "
Well maybe if you were raped or had an addiction or had OCD you would get fucking pissed off by someone taking what is a lifelong struggle in your existence lightly, so why don't you fuck off? "
Or maybe you wouldn't care because you understand they aren't fucking making fun of you. Until you're in that situation, don't fucking tell me off because you think some people may be offended. Most people who use that phrase know they don't really fucking have OCD. I'm Asian, if people make racist Asian jokes for fun I don't give a fuck, I make them myself because I realize these people actually aren't racist. Stop taking everything so goddamn seriously. jesus christ, you're exactly like those people who see racism everywhere when there isn't.
#24 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

I have pretty bad OCD myself, like having to repeat things over and over. If I'm cruzing in my car, and I'm stoned, and I'm listening to a good Ozzy song, and I get a red light, I can't help myself, I have to restart the song when the light turns green because I have to be moving when I'm grooving to Ozzy, not just sitting at a light. It can be pretty aggravating to the other people in the car, especially if it's the third or fourth time the song has been restarted.

#25 Posted by Korolev (1706 posts) -

I don't have OCD, but I can sympathize. OCD is nothing to be trivialized, from what I've seen. It's an extremely serious problem - it's not "I need to get every achievement", OCD is about nearly uncontrollable compulsions to perform certain activities, regardless of  their relevance or function - like, for example, cleaning a perfectly clean table because you just can't stop cleaning it. Or tapping on every door several times before you open it - it's embarrassing, it disrupts your life and it's something no one wants. You can't control these impulses - it's a mental illness. Just like how you can't tell a schizophrenic to "stop hallucinating", you can't tell an OCD person to stop doing the compulsive activity.

I know that it's the internet and we're all a bit informal, but OCD is no joke, and using it in a trivial manner doesn't make you an evil person, but it does lessen the severity of the disease in the minds of the public. 

Again, I know that a lot of people use OCD in a trivial manner and mean no harm by it. They aren't intentionally taking the piss out of OCD. But it does affect the public's perception about the severity of the disease, a disease that can destroy someone's life and can take a lot of time to treat. I read one case of a girl who had OCD, and her condition required her to count to 100 every time she read a word. Needless to say, the sufferer had an extremely severe case that ruined her life. She did get treatment, but again, I stress that treatment is expensive, has side-effects and can take years. 

#26 Posted by Hunkulese (2723 posts) -

Anyone else find it ironic that he spelled Obsessive Compulsive Disorder wrong?

#27 Posted by Milkman (16782 posts) -

I guess you could say that you're pretty OCD about people saying they have OCD.

#28 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i already know that i don't have OCD. you don't have to tell me that i don't have it. people just say it because it is kind of an expression man.

#30 Edited by Korolev (1706 posts) -
@DystopiaX: I understand where you're coming from - intentions do matter after all, and if someone makes a somewhat racist remark ironically or out of just sheer unawareness, then I too, don't get offended. But realize that it all adds up. Racism is something that has haunted humanity for.... well, since EVER. It might even be biologically inbuilt. That doesn't make it acceptable or correct, but it does mean that it's never going to go away - it's a menace that must be fought, constantly. The battle against Racism isn't something that will EVER be won - it's a constant struggle, and everyone slips up now and then. True, your friends probably mean no harm when they make a crack or two at Asian people, but the more it happens, the more it becomes socially acceptable, and that's when racism starts creeping back into social acceptance, and when that happens, stuff can go bad very quickly.  

Racism is... well.... it's HORRIBLE. It's literally perhaps the biggest blight of humanity, in all of our history. Just look at the Holocaust, Operation Barbarossa, the Rape of Nanjing, the Crusades, the Armenian Genocide (and it was a genocide, and if anyone says otherwise they are wrong), the Rwandan genocide, the enslavement of millions of people...... racism has been used as either the cause or a motivating factor in most of humanity's wars! Sure, most of the wars were fought for political gain or resources, but racism was used as the motivation, racism was the tool used that allowed people to be SO ATROCIOUS to each other. 

And it is only in recent decades that racism has started to receded. It still hasn't - racism is still prevalent in many places around the globe (and ironically, in many countries that have suffered the most FROM racism) and makes a huge impact on the lives of people. Yes one or two jokes doesn't mean the Jim Crow laws are going to come back, but the more it's done, the more it becomes acceptable. And you don't want that. 

Like David Mitchell once said, Society's capacity for tolerance and respect is like a wall - a small crack isn't going to do anything, but the more cracks that build up, the more the wall starts to weaken. I know it makes me sound like a PC type person, and to be fair, I kind of am one, but remember, the most horrible things often start off at a small level. It starts off as a joke or two. Some people run with that, and make a few racist caricatures on TV. It's nothing serious right? But it sticks in people's minds. Kids are impressionable. The old stereotypes start to be treated seriously again.  And the misery starts once more. 

Remember that the German's didn't start out with killing Jews. First it was defamatory remarks in newspapers. Then it was pamphlets. Then it was minor laws, like having to wear the star of david. Then it was property confiscation, workplace harrasment, relocation and then... finally.... we all know what happened.  

I'm not saying that anyone who makes one or two bad jokes is a Nazi. Far from it. But it encourages those who ARE racist, that it's not as socially unacceptable to be racist. Remember, what keeps the racist at bay is FEAR, fear that society will not accept their racism. Once that fear (which is psychological) is gone, the racism will resurface. And that's something we all have to prevent. Maybe it's because I'm a history buff, but I have seen and read about how awful racism can be. How much suffering it has caused, and it has been tremendous. Unfathomable almost. And I don't want to see it come back. 

So always be vigilant. Yes, we might tread on a few toes in the process, but I'd rather that happen than see another Japanese internment or another round of Jim Crow. And don't think it can't happen. It can. In Russia right now, Racism is experiencing a resurgence, and it's turned VERY nasty. Funny how the nation that lost over 10 million soldiers in the titantic struggle against the Nazis is experiencing an epidemic of Neo-Nazism.

EDIT: Sorry for hijacking the OCD thread with my anti-racism thread. But the two are similarly related - the public needs to know that OCD is a serious condition. The more jokes made at the expense of OCD, the more trivial it becomes in the minds of people. Most people who use the term "OCD" in a trivial way, don't really understand what OCD is, or know much about it's pathology. They might not donate as much to charitable causes for OCD sufferers. They might not take an OCD sufferer seriously, because they might have the impression that it's not a serious condition. 
#31 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

I think I have a mild form. It prevents me from putting "Engine" mods into my GT5 Premium cars because "the redline no longer reads properly" and "the service cannot be undone".

I guess it's a bit James May-ish. My watch bezel needs to align with the 12:00 point too.

#32 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

When people say they have OCD over a certain something, it is sometimes used as an expression of constant obsession to get something done. Its more or less the same as saying someone is retarded when they do something dumb, even though they aren't mentally challenged or anything.

#33 Posted by GIVEMEREPLAY (821 posts) -

I had to type and delete thos post fourteen times before I could submit it to ensure that it is grammatical error free, else I have to pull all my chest hair out. 

#34 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -
@Korolev: In no way was I condoning serious racism. My point was that racist jokes, etc., much like the use of the term "OCD" the way the OP describes it, is really no big deal because in both cases because everyone understands that no offense occurs. I also don't think that these things promote actual racism/bias against mentally disabled/damaged people because all of these people are actually very anti-racist/whatever, so this in no way encourages racism, which is why I got pissed when the other guy cursed at me for not making a big deal out of this, because it isn't one.
#35 Posted by CrimsonNoir (401 posts) -

what, a guy can't have a light case of OCD? being obsessive and being a completionist could be a symptom of having OCD, just not the crazy A&E Obsessed kind you probably have.

#36 Posted by Sin4profit (2931 posts) -

I'm not schizophrenic, and neither am I.

#37 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Na, na . . . you . . . 
You seem like a perfectly normal person. 
*slowly backs away*

#38 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

The real ADD kids feel your pain.

#39 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

Agreed! Same with ADD... They're just being kids dammit!

#40 Edited by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

Yeah, I know what you mean. I't not that it is offensive or evokes a tragic moment necessarily like with the figurative (and inappropriate IMO) use of "rape", it's that it makes it sound like having OCD is something really minor like being a perfectionist about frivolous things like collectibles in video game when in fact it can be pretty destructive. 
I used to suffer from severe OCD when I was a child and had to get therapy. Now, later in life, I have more minor forms related to symmetry and hoarding, so I know how you feel. 
Just yesterday I had to dig through trash to save this old-ass microwave my mother threw away and keep it at my place. It doesn't even work but I get too anxious when I try to get rid of it. 
Oh, well.

#41 Posted by MEATBALL (3238 posts) -
@Dany said:
" Its an expression, you should know that "
Dude's probably obsessive compulsive about people claiming they're obssessive compulsive.
#42 Edited by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -
@Korolev said:

" @DystopiaX: I understand where you're coming from - intentions do matter after all, and if someone makes a somewhat racist remark ironically or out of just sheer unawareness, then I too, don't get offended. But realize that it all adds up. Racism is something that has haunted humanity for.... well, since EVER. It might even be biologically inbuilt. That doesn't make it acceptable or correct, but it does mean that it's never going to go away - it's a menace that must be fought, constantly. The battle against Racism isn't something that will EVER be won - it's a constant struggle, and everyone slips up now and then. True, your friends probably mean no harm when they make a crack or two at Asian people, but the more it happens, the more it becomes socially acceptable, and that's when racism starts creeping back into social acceptance, and when that happens, stuff can go bad very quickly.   Racism is... well.... it's HORRIBLE. It's literally perhaps the biggest blight of humanity, in all of our history. Just look at the Holocaust, Operation Barbarossa, the Rape of Nanjing, the Crusades, the Armenian Genocide (and it was a genocide, and if anyone says otherwise they are wrong), the Rwandan genocide, the enslavement of millions of people...... racism has been used as either the cause or a motivating factor in most of humanity's wars! Sure, most of the wars were fought for political gain or resources, but racism was used as the motivation, racism was the tool used that allowed people to be SO ATROCIOUS to each other.  And it is only in recent decades that racism has started to receded. It still hasn't - racism is still prevalent in many places around the globe (and ironically, in many countries that have suffered the most FROM racism) and makes a huge impact on the lives of people. Yes one or two jokes doesn't mean the Jim Crow laws are going to come back, but the more it's done, the more it becomes acceptable. And you don't want that.   Like David Mitchell once said, Society's capacity for tolerance and respect is like a wall - a small crack isn't going to do anything, but the more cracks that build up, the more the wall starts to weaken. I know it makes me sound like a PC type person, and to be fair, I kind of am one, but remember, the most horrible things often start off at a small level. It starts off as a joke or two. Some people run with that, and make a few racist caricatures on TV. It's nothing serious right? But it sticks in people's minds. Kids are impressionable. The old stereotypes start to be treated seriously again.  And the misery starts once more.  Remember that the German's didn't start out with killing Jews. First it was defamatory remarks in newspapers. Then it was pamphlets. Then it was minor laws, like having to wear the star of david. Then it was property confiscation, workplace harrasment, relocation and then... finally.... we all know what happened.   I'm not saying that anyone who makes one or two bad jokes is a Nazi. Far from it. But it encourages those who ARE racist, that it's not as socially unacceptable to be racist. Remember, what keeps the racist at bay is FEAR, fear that society will not accept their racism. Once that fear (which is psychological) is gone, the racism will resurface. And that's something we all have to prevent. Maybe it's because I'm a history buff, but I have seen and read about how awful racism can be. How much suffering it has caused, and it has been tremendous. Unfathomable almost. And I don't want to see it come back.  So always be vigilant. Yes, we might tread on a few toes in the process, but I'd rather that happen than see another Japanese internment or another round of Jim Crow. And don't think it can't happen. It can. In Russia right now, Racism is experiencing a resurgence, and it's turned VERY nasty. Funny how the nation that lost over 10 million soldiers in the titantic struggle against the Nazis is experiencing an epidemic of Neo-Nazism. EDIT: Sorry for hijacking the OCD thread with my anti-racism thread. But the two are similarly related - the public needs to know that OCD is a serious condition. The more jokes made at the expense of OCD, the more trivial it becomes in the minds of people. Most people who use the term "OCD" in a trivial way, don't really understand what OCD is, or know much about it's pathology. They might not donate as much to charitable causes for OCD sufferers. They might not take an OCD sufferer seriously, because they might have the impression that it's not a serious condition.  "

I agree. 
I do believe racism is a ramification of class struggle/conflict, however, and not something innate to human beings (in a biological sense).  

P.S. History buffs are always the most sensible people; how the world would benefit from studying its history!
#43 Edited by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -
@DystopiaX: I don't think you quite understood his crack on the wall analogy.
#44 Posted by demontium (4709 posts) -
@Johnny5 said:
" Eh I usually say "I have obsessive compulsive tendencies"   Like whenever I spend any sum of money I have to weigh up the pros and cons and then research it for ages (like a week minimum). Usually takes me forever to buy anything T.T. That and I have to constantly go back to check if I indeed did lock my car lol, but often I don't so thats just clumsiness right?! "
Same with me, I check if car keys aren't in the car like 5 times before I go to class. It's annoying. 
#45 Posted by LeetBalla (698 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
" @bhhawks78 said:
This. "
Except you're wrong, most colloquial sayings are just stupid. For example the OCD topic, people use it as some weird pass to excuse specific behavior for odd reasons. 
#46 Edited by sixghost (1679 posts) -
@bhhawks78 said:

OH REALLY, THEY'RE THE ABSOLUTE WORST? I KNOW PLENTY OF PEOPLE WORSE THAN THAT. LIKE HITLER.
#47 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

what really pisses me off is when people use OCD as an adjective. 

#48 Posted by CrimsonNoir (401 posts) -
@demontium: i'm the same, i keep thinking im draining my car remote 8 times faster pressing the button so damn much.
#49 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

I wish I had OCP 

#50 Posted by danimal_furry (1453 posts) -

Saying someone is OCD about something is a descriptive way of saying they are obsessed beyond  normal. And maybe Drew really is OCD. Quit being a little whiney PC shill. There is such a thing as intent without harm. I think you are OCD about making everyone feel as uncomfortable about everything as you. Now, please excuse me before I drop a few choice explicitives on your prudish, self gratifying, overreacting, igno... nope... not going to continue.