• 81 results
#1 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -
#2 Edited by FireBurger (1479 posts) -

Hey, I was just thinking about character creation, and was wondering what everyone’s personal tendencies are. Whether an RPG, sports game, Sims game, whatever – how do you usually design your primary character?

Personally, I usually go the “good-looking character of the same sex” route.

EDIT: This would be most of the time. We all mix it up sometimes, so adding that option would make the poll sort of lopsided and pointless.

#3 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

I make a character that looks like a scarred-up, total badass.

#4 Posted by Yummylee (20571 posts) -

If a game has a character creator I usually play through that game multiple times creating characters of all those descriptions.

#5 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" If a game has a character creator I usually play through that game multiple times creating characters of all those descriptions. "
Call it your first, main playthrough.
#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

A most of the time but a little bit of B.

#7 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Depends on the game.  Usually if it's a character creator it is a long ass game.  I don't want to be staring at some guy's ass the whole time. 

So I usually make a good looking character of the opposite sex.  

#8 Posted by Yummylee (20571 posts) -
@FireBurger said:
" @Abyssfull said:
" If a game has a character creator I usually play through that game multiple times creating characters of all those descriptions. "
Call it your first, main playthrough. "
Prooooobably C then.
#9 Posted by armaan8014 (5254 posts) -

I always go with option A, though I try to get inspiration from characters in movies or other games. But yeah, good looking male guy who looks ready to star in a movie :D

#10 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

"If I'm playing an RPG for 180 hours I might as well be looking at a chicks ass"

#11 Posted by Gargantuan (1877 posts) -

I usually make normal looking white people. My newest Mass Effect character is asian looking though since I wanted to do something new and his looks fit very well with the voice. He's my favourite Shepard now.

#12 Posted by armaan8014 (5254 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:
" "If I'm playing an RPG for 180 hours I might as well be looking at a chicks ass" "
hmm.. where'd you pick that one from?
#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (34608 posts) -

Bushwald Sexyface.

#14 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@armaan8014: On the bombcast I think and think it was either Dave of Vinny who said it. 
Now it might not be 100% accurate but it was the general idea of what was being said. 
#15 Posted by armaan8014 (5254 posts) -
@ZeForgotten: ah thanks, couldn't remember.
#16 Posted by uniform (1830 posts) -

It all depends on the game. All my years playing World of Warcraft I only made female Gnomes. My Demon's Souls character is female. With Fable, I'll choose the male. Mass Effect I choose generic male Shepard. When given the choice, I will model my characters using a guideline of what I perceive to be attractive.

#17 Posted by X19 (2304 posts) -

Always B. The more I can make her look like Jill Valentine (RE3) the better.

#18 Posted by ProfessorEss (7123 posts) -

A mix of A,C and D.

A better looking, more badass version of myself.

#19 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

If I can't make a bug eyed anime freak with the girl model, I'll make a trollish looking Frenchman with the guy. Fireburger seems to have something against people who have fun with the character makers.

#20 Posted by DjCmeP (1145 posts) -

In my case C=D.

#21 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

I make me, but all scared up and badass

#22 Posted by Sweep (8541 posts) -

THE DAVE SNIDER RULE FOR CREATING IN-GAME AVATARS:  

@Snide:

"If i'm going to spend hours of my life staring at something on a screen then I'm going to make it look as hot as possible"

Moderator Online
#23 Edited by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

A. 

But to elaborate on the specifics: 

Attempt to add Stubble, get mad when you can only have either no hair, or a gandalf beard. 

Attempt to have longish mail hair that goes near shoulder length, get mad when it's either buzzcut or fruity pony tail.

#24 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -

D which is the same as A.

#25 Posted by MadeinFinland (839 posts) -

What about A & D?

#26 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" If I can't make a bug eyed anime freak with the girl model, I'll make a trollish looking Frenchman with the guy. Fireburger seems to have something against people who have fun with the character makers. "
Haha, no, it's more of an endearing "jackass".
#27 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I just like to be taken aback a bit whenever a cutscene brings the camera in on my character's face. After looking at their back for an hour in a dungeon I get to a cutscene  and go "oh god that's right, she has no chin."

#28 Posted by BeachThunder (11264 posts) -
B, but not really. I always make female characters given a choice; however, I'd rather have her looking average, than supermodel. I'm not someone that subscribes to the Creepy Digital Voyeurism school of thought.
#29 Posted by Eristocrat (439 posts) -

I usually make a beauuuuutiful lady.

#30 Posted by crusader8463 (14311 posts) -

Sexy lady. I try to make a sexy Japanese lady, but most character creators make it hard enough to make a character look even human let alone a specific nationality. Also, I never seem to be happy with the default skin tones in games. I find pale skin very sexy, and I can never seem, to make it pale enough. The first thing I do is look to the mod community for it though.

#31 Posted by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -

Depends the game. Sometimes I make him look like a total badass and other times I just try to make him look "good-looking".

#32 Posted by matti00 (663 posts) -

Start out making myself, if I can't make it look like myself and it just ends up looking like Adam Sandler (happens with startling regularity), then I'll make a pretty lady. If the game has moral choices then the woman has to be evil, but playing as myself I have to do everything in good conscience.

#33 Edited by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

Honestly, I mostly try to make a character that looks as much as possible like me: fallout screenshot (not the best example, but it's the only one I have here on GB).
But whenever I can't do that, either 'cause I'm not getting along with the character creator or the character creator doesn't allow for too many costumization options, I go for the badass type.

#34 Posted by Galiant (2163 posts) -

It's a tie between good looking, badass and myself. Always male. 

I can't really get into playing a female in RPG's if given a choice, I don't know why.

#35 Posted by damswedon (3168 posts) -

I seem to always make a lady called either Jane or Freya. 
Jane for Sci Fi Freya for fantasy.

#36 Posted by GetEveryone (4454 posts) -

Messy hair, hefty stubble, aviators. 

Macready, getting his beard on.
#37 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

D. someone who looks like me. casual clothes, doesnt care too much about looking good or having 'game', long soft hair and a goatee. and a bit of extra weight :{

#38 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

I swap it up all the time these days.

#39 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Uh... That depends, really. A and C most of the times, sometimes even B. No matter how hard I try though, I can never bring myself to create the "ugliest motherfucker possible".

#40 Posted by Skald (4366 posts) -

If it's an MMO or a game like Fallout 3, I'll create a male character, because that's who I am. In a game like Mass Effect or Fallout 2, I'll use more discretion creating a character, and probably play through the game multiple times. I find the "I LIEK LOOKING AT DE WOMEN" school of thought to be more than a bit strange. I like looking at ladies too, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have to be one in a video game. 

Also, in fantasy RPGs, I used to always make my male characters dwarves, or sometimes half-elves, now I mostly make them human. My female characters are usually elves and humans. I largely ignore races like gnomes and halflings, because I think they're kind of dumb. 

So my answer is mostly A, a bit of B, maybe even some C. The only thing that looks kind of like me is my Xbox Live Avatar.

#41 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

Especially when making a character in third-person games, I make a character of the opposite sex. If I'm going to be staring at an ass for twenty hours or so, I simply prefer it to be female. But hey, whatever floats your boat. In most games we spend so little time seeing our character's face that I never spend much time on it. I usually use one of the standard options, though I have to admit that in Fallout, Mass Effect and Dragon Age I did a little bit (but not much) playing with details.

#42 Posted by Siphillis (1286 posts) -

I always make two.  One "slider-victim" and one default male character to play through the game. 

I don't know why, but I feel tempted to play Halo: Reach as a female Noble-6.

#43 Edited by Rockdalf (1274 posts) -

I usually play as a character that looks like me if it seems like I can gear the customization features that way.  If not a good looking member of the SAME sex.   

If the game is featured in a kitchen for the most part, with the ability to make sandwiches, I will play a good looking member of the opposite sex.

#44 Posted by Cubic (171 posts) -

I go for something that looks a bit like me, but fits the character. Since most characters are homogeneous masculine hulks that means giving myself abs and making my hair shorter, usually.  For my second character I usually make an average looking female, not good looking but not ugly either.

#45 Posted by Rockdalf (1274 posts) -
@filthreaper: You just reminded me that I do in fact play a female character on Demon's Souls because the males are so obscenely "Conan the barbarian" and that's not the type of character I usually like to play.
#46 Posted by JoeyRavn (4886 posts) -

I usually try to get a character that looks good, though not really "good looking". As long as it fits with the world of the game, it's fine. Male or female, that depends on what I'm playing and/or what character I'm role-playing.

#47 Edited by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

I usually go B, though certain games I'd rather play as A(Mass Effect really). Going over the other times I've ever used a character creator, it's always been opposite sex for me. I don't know why.

#48 Posted by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -

"A" most of the time but "B" and "D" sometimes

#49 Posted by Rox360 (1017 posts) -

Fortunately, games still don't let us easily make people that look like actual people, so my method of trying to get each individual piece of my character as close to my real life self as possible always results in a character much more fitting for the role of a hero than I actually look. I try to use the same hair color (sometimes a bit darker for badassness), same hair length (often forced to shorten it), eye color and so on, but it never actually looks like me. Which is a good thing!

Secondary playthroughs usually sees me making an avaragely good-looking female character instead. For some reason gameplay always seems to take my male avatar into the hardcore soldier direction, with bulky armors and whatever, whereas my second playthrough is more sophisticated. Probably because I've had time to learn the game and get good at it, so I tend to make my female avatar either more practical, or prettier than the game calls for.

For example, in Oblivion I did start out with a rogue/archer type character (who looked nothing like me, but I tried at least), but toward the end of the game, he ended up pretty buff for one of those. My second character, an avarage-looking, female theif with basically no physical attributes in common with me, got more of the roleplaying treatment, and I tended to switch to civilian clothes when wandering around towns, and sticking to leather armor when thieving around. It just seemed better that way.

#50 Posted by innacces14 (733 posts) -

B

*waits for D=E answer*