• 66 results
#1 Posted by CptMorganCA (206 posts) -

While I'm a huge fan of the GB crew, I also read and listen to many others on a regular basis.

I love the Podcast Beyond guys over at IGN, Greg Miller, Colin Moriarty, and Ryan Clements. I also watch Game Scoop with Daemon Hatfield, Mitch Dyer, Justin Davis etc.

Polygon is also one of my favorites lately--I'm a fan of Arthur Gies (even though we rarely see eye to eye), Phil Kollar, and everyone else over there. The Besties podcast with Justin McElroy, Rush Frushtick, Chris Plante, and Griffin McElroy is awesome as well.

Rebel FM with Arthur Gies, Anthony Gallegos, Matt Chandronet (former 1UP) is also one of my favorites.

What about everyone else? Who do you often read and listen to?

#2 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I like Beyond. The bombcast is enough for me though.

#3 Posted by mellotronrules (1192 posts) -

he doesn't currently have a podcast, but i've always enjoyed adam sessler's work.

#4 Edited by CptMorganCA (206 posts) -

@mellotronrules said:

he doesn't currently have a podcast, but i've always enjoyed adam sessler's work.

Did you know he's now set up shop at Rev3 Games? It's basically a games site but video only and on Youtube.

Never really heard of the guy before he got laid off, because I never watched G4.

#5 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

@mellotronrules said:

He's at Rev3Games if you didn't know. And that's actually what I came here to say. I didn't learn about Rev3 until Sessler joined, but I do like their work.

#6 Posted by Empirepaintball (1393 posts) -

I love the Rooster Teeth podcast.

#7 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1420 posts) -

I used to go to IGN...but now i might give it a quick scan, fell off of Game Scoop when it went video but still like Greg Miller and the rest of the beyond crew. I also like 4-Player Network and their podcast.

#8 Posted by CptMorganCA (206 posts) -

@Empirepaintball said:

Yep, I listen to that every week as well. I think everyone on there that isn't the original crew is pretty annoying, but it's still entertaining. I'm glad they've found success in their non-RVB stuff.

#9 Posted by CornBREDX (5285 posts) -

Ploygon's podcast is growing on me. 
Angry Joe is cool although I grow a little bored sometimes with his schtick so I don't watch him as much. 
Spoony Experiment is fun. 
I like Gamespot but most for their editorials and a few of the videos from the UK office. 

I think that's about it.

#10 Posted by L44 (561 posts) -

gamebomb.ru

#11 Posted by CptMorganCA (206 posts) -

@thebunnyhunter said:

I used to go to IGN...but now i might give it a quick scan, fell off of Game Scoop when it went video but still like Greg Miller and the rest of the beyond crew. I also like 4-Player Network and their podcast.

I'd much rather listen to Game Scoop all at once in audio form, but they've become very inconsistent on when they post it, which bums me out.

Never heard of 4-Player Network.

#12 Posted by JaredA (824 posts) -

I have been listening to Kevin Pereira's podcast Pointless and it's pretty damn good. On one of their recent episodes they talk about the behind the scenes on Attack of the Show and it's really interesting. They usually have really interesting guests so that always keeps it interesting, too. Can't recommend it enough!

#13 Posted by Undeadpool (4941 posts) -

I'm a big fan of the Nerdist podcast. Folks REALLY open up there and everyone's pretty witty and charming. Used to listen to Mark Maron's comedian podcast, but his neuroses finally started to grate on my last nerve, particularly after one of his guests pointed out that he starts out with a MASSIVE chip on his shoulder if the guest is younger and more famous than him.

#14 Posted by sarge1445 (676 posts) -

@CptMorganCA said:

While I'm a huge fan of the GB crew, I also read and listen to many others on a regular basis.

I love the Podcast Beyond guys over at IGN, Greg Miller, Colin Moriarty, and Ryan Clements. I also watch Game Scoop with Daemon Hatfield, Mitch Dyer, Justin Davis etc.

Polygon is also one of my favorites lately--I'm a fan of Arthur Gies (even though we rarely see eye to eye), Phil Kollar, and everyone else over there. The Besties podcast with Justin McElroy, Rush Frushtick, Chris Plante, and Griffin McElroy is awesome as well.

Rebel FM with Arthur Gies, Anthony Gallegos, Matt Chandronet (former 1UP) is also one of my favorites.

Love Beyond also, can't stand Rebel FM. As for ones you didn't mention Jim Sterling over at destructiod and his jimquistition on the escapist is fantastic, Bob Chipman or the Game Overthinker on Blip and screwattack is good, and the Extra Credits team over at Penny-Arcade TV also puts on a great show. I really miss the old IGN 360 podcast when it was hosted by Goldstien that was it's peak

#15 Posted by sarge1445 (676 posts) -

@CptMorganCA said:

ohh and the crew and content over on thegameraccess.com is also pretty great

#16 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

@CornBREDX said:

Ploygon's podcast is growing on me.

It was Justin's Persona 4 joke this week, wasn't it.

...anyways, I pretty much just stick to the Bombcast and Besties, generally reading from anywhere people are writing.

#17 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

I like alot of what Rev3Games and Destructoid do. Though I can't in good consciousness recommend Destructoid's podcast to another human being.

#18 Edited by CornBREDX (5285 posts) -
@Little_Socrates: My main gripe with it before was Chris Plante can be annoying, but either he's getting better or I'm just getting used to him.  
Their taste in games helps but mainly I just have to find interest in the show. The McElroys are always fun to listen to for me, but that particular podcast isn't about them, nor really should it be. 

To be fair, though, polygon always has great articles and I enjoy the site. The podcast took some to mature for me, though- like a fine wine. It's getting better now.
#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Me.

#20 Posted by Mastercheesey (220 posts) -

MBMBAM and Bombcast. Also I go to Joystiq when I want to check random video game news and I go to polygon every now and then.

#21 Posted by D_W (1163 posts) -

I like the Game Station Podcast and The IndieStatic podcast is pretty good.

#22 Posted by jewunit (1061 posts) -
#23 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

Oh, right. This is about reading people's stuff, too. In that case...

I read just about anything written by these non-Bomb Crew members.

Justin McElroy, Phil Kollar, Arthur Gies, Chris Plante, Grififn McElroy, Jim Sterling, Mattie Brice, Leigh Alexander, Jenn Frank, Kevin VanOrd, Carolyn Petit, Chris Grant, Emily Gera, Tom Bissell, and FilmCritHULK. And I've been watching every episode of Game Grumps, and I'll watch Adam Sessler's output every few months and remember how good he is.

#24 Posted by sarge1445 (676 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

Oh, right. This is about reading people's stuff, too. In that case...

I read just about anything written by these non-Bomb Crew members.

Justin McElroy, Phil Kollar, Arthur Gies, Chris Plante, Grififn McElroy, Jim Sterling, Mattie Brice, Leigh Alexander, Jenn Frank, Kevin VanOrd, Carolyn Petit, Chris Grant, Emily Gera, Tom Bissell, and FilmCritHULK. And I've been watching every episode of Game Grumps, and I'll watch Adam Sessler's output every few months and remember how good he is.

look into Extra Credits on Penny Arcade TV and the game over thinker on screw attack I think you would enjoy them

#25 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

@sarge1445: Extra Credits is pretty good! The videos are a little long, and his service is absolutely necessary, but he always seems to say things that I've already been thinking. I'll check out Game Over Thinker though!

#26 Posted by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -

Podcasy Beyond! is oe of my favorite's after the Bombcast. Game Scoop has gone down hill since it became a video show.

For non-game stuff - Opie and Anthony radio show and Joe Rogan Experience are favorites.

@JaredA said:

I have been listening to Kevin Pereira's podcast Pointless and it's pretty damn good. On one of their recent episodes they talk about the behind the scenes on Attack of the Show and it's really interesting. They usually have really interesting guests so that always keeps it interesting, too. Can't recommend it enough!

It's a great podcast. Kevin is a very interesting dude.

#27 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2387 posts) -

Danny O'Dwyer.

He's wasted at Gamespot.

#28 Posted by celegorm_menegroth (63 posts) -

I'll have to pay more attention to some of the sites you guys have mentioned here ( especially the ones I've never heard of ) ...

But I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Eurogamer or Rock Paper Shotgun.

#29 Posted by HistoryInRust (6315 posts) -

@Empirepaintball said:

Oh, you mean that one podcast brought to you by Onnit? And their flagship product, Alpha Brain?

#30 Edited by Animasta (14691 posts) -

I will occasionally listen to the RPS podcast when they make one. I guess that's about it tho

and the only other media I use is RPS, even though they irritate me

#31 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1180 posts) -
#32 Posted by captain_clayman (3321 posts) -

@JaredA said:

I KNOW RIGHT! I honestly was never into AoTS, and honestly thought Kevin Pereira was kinda douchey (at least his TV character was) but his podcast is fuckin' great and it turns out he's a really cool dude, and he has had AMAZING guests so far (well, for the most part.) Bobcat Goldthwait was amazing.

Pretty much anything from nerdist, earwolf, and maximumfun is guaranteed greatness.

#33 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

I think Greg Miller seems like a cool dude, but I stopped going to IGN a while ago. Still follow him on twitter though.

Nowadays, Giant Bomb and Bonus Round and Pach Attack on Gametrailers are my only video game sources. I watch some video reviews on GT from time to time too, I guess. But the bombcast gives me my fill for news, for the most part.

#34 Edited by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

The only video game podcast I listen to is Podcast Beyond (Bombcast is too long and is really just them rambling about their weekend and talking about why they hate video games). The content put out by Colin, Greg, and Andrew is usually pretty damn good and they cover just about everything video game related so it is the only real news site I need. I also listen to Keepin it Reel and Justice Talking, but those aren't video game related podcasts.  

#35 Posted by berniesbc (44 posts) -

As far as game stuff goes, I listen to Idle Thumbs, Gamers with Jobs, Player One and 8-4 Play all pretty regularly. Idle Thumbs is really the only one that I never miss though, as it is the reigning king of video game podcasts.

#36 Posted by MasterBrief (223 posts) -

They arent game related but Todd n Tyler have a radio show and I listen to their podcasts they are hilarious

#37 Posted by evanbower (1211 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

The only video game podcast I listen to is Podcast Beyond (Bombcast is too long and is really just them rambling about their weekend and talking about why they hate video games). The content put out by Colin, Greg, and Andrew is usually pretty damn good and they cover just about everything video game related so it is the only real news site I need. I also listen to Keepin it Reel and Justice Talking, but those aren't video game related podcasts.

"Why they hate games", or, not busy selling you the idea of being a Playstation consumer.

#38 Edited by bennym6 (417 posts) -

It used to be around a few years ago called Jake and Mike VGS. They were two dudes from Vegas who love video games. The podcast has now ended and is pretty much impossible to find, they are actually big Giant Bomb fans. They still currently are apart of one of the few podcasts on the level of entertainment as the bombcast. It's called Jim and Them at jimandthem.com

#39 Posted by HODGEY3000 (344 posts) -

rebel fm is the only other gaming podcast i listen to

#40 Posted by mellotronrules (1192 posts) -

@CptMorganCA: @Redbullet685:

yeah thanks for the heads up guys. i was aware he started working again, but i didn't realize the amount of stuff he already has up. glad he's continuing his op-ed pieces (formerly 'soapbox,' now 'something'). although i do wish he had a longer format spiel- i enjoyed when he hosted 'feedback' on g4.

would love to have him on the bombcast more often as well- i'm sure he's super busy, but he's in the bay area again so one can hope.

#41 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3835 posts) -

I listen to CAGcast, Gamers with Jobs, Rebel FM, and 8-4.

CAGcast can be a bit weak at times but overall is just a dumb fun podcast that is usally quite good. I find Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck all entertaining in their own goofy ways. Cheapy is just a strange dude living a strange and lucky life I feel like. Not that he didn't earn his money, his site was a great idea, but what he does day to day and how he lives in Japan... it's just funny to me. Shipwreck also goes to Walmart every day and enjoys it. That's weird.

GWJ is pretty good but its mostly just "safe" I guess you'd say. A bit boring but solid.

Rebel FM has had its strong moments but also Arthur Gies drives me up a wall sometimes with some of the things he says. His recent reaches for finding racism/sexism are a good example in the last few podcasts. They used to be really good I think around their "Game Club" days. It's a shame they don't go back there (though with work I understand why) because those are really outstanding podcasts and an idea no one is still doing quite like they did. I highly recommend listening to those.

8-4 also can get on my nerves. How they defended Nintendo and then shit on Molyneux in a recent podcast (as if he had done nothing in his career)... I had to turn it off. I believe they literally said he had done nothing in his career. It was so ignorant. They have their moments though.

None are close to the Bombcast for me. I've tried other gaming podcasts too and just hate them basically. I listen to a lot of podcasts so I wish this wasn't the case but it just is. I've tried Idle Thumbs, Weekend Confirmed, IGN podcasts and they all were just bad.

#42 Posted by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -

Cagcast. Beyond.

oh how I miss Joystiq!

#43 Posted by Mendelson9 (402 posts) -

If you want a good Nintendo focused podcast, check out Radio Free Nintendo. They often talk about other games they play on non-nintendo consoles but right now they have lots of Wii U coverage. Brad was on the podcast too during their radio telethon.

#44 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4895 posts) -

I don't really have the time to listen to anything other than the Bombcast right now, but my second option is always Weekend Confirmed, then 8-4, Rebel FM, and the BS Report/Dan Patrick Show (edit: yeah, those aren't videogames but whatever)

#45 Posted by MURDERSMASH (251 posts) -

Most Youtube channels are utter garbage, but TotalBiscuit puts out some quality gaming content every day.

#46 Posted by Acura_Max (64 posts) -

I really like the Loading Bar at spill.com

#47 Posted by Moth_Pope (455 posts) -

So far I only listen to the Bombcast and Idle Thumbs. Would be up for finding more though. I've dabbled with the IGN podcasts but have gone in and out of liking them.

#48 Posted by TheStimpinator (106 posts) -

I try to keep up with whatever the Sess is doing.

#49 Posted by falling_fast (2224 posts) -

rock paper shotgun and zero punctuation

#50 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

Comedy Bang! Bang! with Scott Aukerman and frequent guests Paul F. Thompkins, Nick Kroll, James Adomian, Harris Wittels, Jon Daly, and Zach Galifiankis.

Professor Blastoff with Tig Notaro, David Huntsburger, Kyle Dunnigan, and Aaron Burrell.

I know these aren't the media types that everyone has been talking about, but all of these people has done something significant outside of podcasting.