#1 Edited by stoodspoon (592 posts) -

Brutal Legend because it shows how far the music industry has fallen

#2 Posted by warxsnake (2634 posts) -

The original Half-Life still isn't beat. 

#3 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

i dont know man .. alot of good openings 

#4 Posted by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

Resident Evil. The original one, not the remake.

#5 Posted by JCGamer (658 posts) -

The first time I saw the opening sequence for Final Fantasy II (aka IV) with the airships flying in formation and hearing the music blew my mind.

#6 Posted by Hennet_sim (339 posts) -

The Legends of Zelda: The ocarina of Time The deku tree introduces the game then you see dream of Links that has Zelda and Ganondorf in it then Navi flying around showcases the 3d world.

#7 Posted by RecSpec (3754 posts) -

Final Fantasy X.

#8 Posted by Doctorchimp (4067 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 had a pretty good one... 

But BioShock and Half-Life had really good ones too... 

Hmm I pick those 3.

#9 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -
@stoodspoon said:
" Brutal Legend because it shows how far the music industry has fallen "
That was pretty damn good, too bad the game doesn't hold up after that. It's funny people rag on Darksiders for copying, but wanted Brutal Legend to just be a metal version of Zelda.  

I'd say Fallout 3, running through your character growing up was pretty cool.  
#10 Posted by Stete (722 posts) -

Shadow of The Colossus. Hearing the opening tunes of To The Ancient Land and seeing the gorgeous in game intro is nothing short of breathtaking.

#11 Posted by Zidd (1836 posts) -

My top 3 are Mass Effect 2, Back to the Future: the game and brütal legend. in no particular order.

#12 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

Bioshock. Something about the beginning of that game really did it for me!

#13 Posted by ClaritySam (594 posts) -

Bioshock is the one that springs to mind.  I sat looking at the flames reflecting off the water for a good two minutes before I realised the cut-scene had finished.

#14 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

#15 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

the original resident evil

its quite funny to watch it nowadays

#16 Posted by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -

Final Fantasy VIII is still the best for me with Soul Edge and Kingdom Hearts II as close seconds. 

#17 Posted by ohnobruno (85 posts) -

Bioshock.  It was the first video game I had played in years and I had no idea what the game was about when I first started playing it - only knowing that I wanted to renew my interest in video games and this one was supposed to be "awesome."  When I heard Andrew Ryan's monologue in the bathysphere and suddenly realized, "Oh shit, a video game is taking on Ayn Rand," I realized how far video games had come.  Not to mention the way the little sisters were introduced as well.  Still creeps me out when I think about it.   

#18 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5797 posts) -

good stuff
#19 Posted by Cirdain (2996 posts) -
#20 Posted by Fascism (148 posts) -

Vanquish

#21 Posted by StarvingGamer (7922 posts) -

Bayonetta, I vividly remember getting to the end of the opening sequence, throwing up my arms and shouting, "YES!" despite the fact that I was alone.

#22 Posted by Toms115 (2314 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
" Final Fantasy X. "
ffx's opening is so god damn boring, which is a shame, really. the rest of that game is golden.
#23 Posted by AndrooD2 (221 posts) -

Uncharted 2

#24 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -

Doesn't get much better then these two.  I also always really liked the Resident Evil 2 intro, buts pre-rendered graphics start to show their age.

#25 Posted by X19 (2304 posts) -
#26 Posted by Lab392 (237 posts) -

Probably Half-Life 2. I was so scared. :(

#27 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

call of duty 4. 

50 thousand people use to live here, now it's a ghost town.

#28 Edited by Delicious_Brains (170 posts) -

First time poster here. One of my old favourites was a game on the PS1 called Wild Arms. Great opening, gets me all nostalgic.

#29 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

Bioshock 

#30 Posted by Teeknuts (188 posts) -

The beginning of Indigo Prophesy is amazing.

#31 Posted by NoelVeiga (1063 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan said:
"   
  good stuff "

I really, really thought I was the only person in the universe that remembered Anachronox. Best western-made JRPG ever. 

Anyway, if it comes down to number of times I played them in a loop, it MUST be a tie between this: 

Aaand this: 

Yeah, they don't look like much now, but back in the day these blew my teenage 16-bit mind to smithereens.
#32 Posted by Venatio (4483 posts) -

I have a couple of intro's that I love:

My most recent is Mass Effect 2, showing the Illusive Man in the room with Miranda was pretty damn cool, plus blowing up the ship and killing Shepard is pretty dramatic as an intro. The music that kicks in before the title card gave me chills 

Jak 2 and 3 were pretty awesome aswell, having played the first one that was a colorful lightharded adventure with plenty of humor and then just ending up in Haven City through a time machine was shocking to say the last, but the second one is my favorite in the series. And as for the intro in Jak 3.....the destroyed the freaking city which blew my mind. Plus, hearing Jak talk for the first time was pretty cool in Jak 2

#33 Edited by blackbird415 (777 posts) -
@warxsnake said:

" The original Half-Life still isn't beat.  "

true

@FancySoapsMan said:

"   

good stuff "
wish there were more of these blade runner influenced sci-fi games around. Masseffect is amazin and all, but I want some of that grit with my sci-fi
#34 Posted by yakov456 (1897 posts) -

I'm serious.
#35 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
#36 Posted by President_Barackbar (3418 posts) -

Bioshock is pretty great, it tells you exactly what to expect from the rest of the game. Red Dead Redemption's is also good, that train ride perfectly sets up what the atmosphere of the time period is going to be.

#37 Posted by GoodKn1ght (491 posts) -
@Toms115 said:
" @RecSpec said:
" Final Fantasy X. "
ffx's opening is so god damn boring, which is a shame, really. the rest of that game is golden. "
True but that was the first time I saw CG in a cutscene which at the time was amazing to me...I'm sure now it wouldn't hold up but at the time I thought it was cool.
#38 Posted by supermike6 (3530 posts) -

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. You crash into the god damn Statue of Liberty while on the side of a flying slave ship! That shit is bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

#39 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Killzone 2 has a pretty awesome cinematic even before the start menu.

#40 Edited by JeanLuc (3565 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 had a pretty amazing opening and I'm also a big fan of the late opening to Escape from Butcher Bay. 
 Bayonetta may be my favorite though. Its really lets you know what exactly your getting yourself into. 

#41 Posted by RecSpec (3754 posts) -
@Toms115 said:
" @RecSpec said:
" Final Fantasy X. "
ffx's opening is so god damn boring, which is a shame, really. the rest of that game is golden. "

I'm not going to lie to you and try to say it's good, it's pretty bad. 
But it is still my favorite. Fucking Blitzball + Uematsu doing arena rock? Insanity
#42 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

God of War's opening is fantastic.  

#43 Posted by csl316 (7986 posts) -

Soul Reaver was pretty awesome.  Mindblowing CG at the time, plus a cool sense of discovery when you realize how messed up everything became.

#44 Posted by Toms115 (2314 posts) -
@GoodKn1ght said:
" @Toms115 said:
" @RecSpec said:
" Final Fantasy X. "
True but that was the first time I saw CG in a cutscene which at the time was amazing to me...I'm sure now it wouldn't hold up but at the time I thought it was cool. "
well, the blitzball cgi scene is awesome. the opening section of the game, however, is not.
#45 Posted by MatPaget (1113 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption's opening scene is awesome
From walking through Blackwater to getting on the train and heading to Armadillo
The conversation on the train is really cool and puts you into that time period.

#46 Posted by Fleppie (200 posts) -

Back in the day, blaster master! The way the music built up and when it finally got to it's full-blown midi glory is when you actually got to play.  

Nowadays, Batman - Arkham Asylum springs to mind. The part where you're just walking along taking in the atmosphere 

#47 Posted by sterbacblu (231 posts) -

I guess having "opening" be defined would help, but if we're going with overall opening sequence, regardless of length, the easy answer for me is BioShock.  I don't know if it's cheating giving it to BioShock since I consider the opening sequence of that game to be about the first 45 minutes, although Fallout 3's opening was about that long, however didn't impact me as much.  I'd give an honorable mention to Final Fantasy X.  Anything that makes me ask "What is going on?" and "What is about to happen?" is a winner to me.

#48 Posted by PooffBallzZzZ (86 posts) -

50 CENT BLOOD IN THE SAND!!! 
BEST OPENING!!! 
He's in fucking Iraq or some shit with a kevlar vest and grenades on his belt!  AND BITCH TOOK HIS SKULL!!
#49 Posted by Subjugation (4716 posts) -

I'm sticking with ME2 because it actually made me stop and say "Wow." Nothing like opening your game with the main character dying.

#50 Edited by Monte (229 posts) -

All the Half Life games have really good openings. I remember Lost Odyssey's being pretty good too. 

FF VII had a pretty impact full  intro for the time. I also personally liked the Kingdom Hearts intro video and gameplay.