#1 Posted by jeanespinosa21 (84 posts) -

Whats your favorite game? mine personally is still emerald just because there was so much more to do after you beat the elite four.

#3 Edited by Hunter5024 (5538 posts) -

Silver is my favorite. Generation 2 evolved the mechanics of earlier games in a lot of cool ways, and getting to go back and explore the previous region and face off against Red was really cool to me.

Edit: I would probably say my favorite is Soul Silver though. Same game but with a bunch of cool new shit in it too.

#4 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

Probably black/white- I have a lot of fond memories of crystal, but the fact that it was before the physical/special split is kinda a bummer- though I admit I haven't played the 2nd gen remakes. Skipped 3rd gen, first gen was wonderful for starting the franchise but broken in a lot of ways. That leaves gen IV and V, and my god, after playing V I could never go back to IV. The battles are so slow by comparison. Black and White may not have revolutionized the franchise, but they are, I think, far and away the most polished entries I've played.

Though the 4th gen Pokemon league was rad. That Cynthia fight is how you end a Pokemon game right.

#5 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

Emerald or Fire Red maybe.

#6 Posted by HurricaneIvan29 (554 posts) -

Sapphire, I just can't look at the 4th generation pokemon without asking myself "wtf is that?" They just look so random from that point on. And sure there a lot more important factors to consider in which game was your favorite, but to me, the weird pokemon are just a complete dealbreaker to the point that I wouldn't even consider the games. I can't get immersed if I'm constantly looking at them and instead of thinking "oh wow, that's creative" i'm telling myself "is that supposed to be abstract" every single time.

#7 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4282 posts) -

Yellow. Then again, I never touched another Pokemon game after Silver/Gold so my choices are a bit limited. Not even sure why I stopped playing to be honest. I never really felt like I "outgrew" the series or anything. I guess I just never got around to it. Meh.

#8 Posted by Nev (539 posts) -

HeartGold/SoulSilver, followed by FireRed/LeafGreen.

#9 Edited by beeftothetaco (420 posts) -

Gold/Silver.

#10 Posted by RecSpec (3762 posts) -

Yellow, then SoulSilver

#11 Posted by Bollard (5247 posts) -

Gold/Silver

#12 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1026 posts) -

I would say Silver since that game had so much to do and it was pretty cool to go back to kanto.

#13 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5221 posts) -

I really like the first 3 gens a lot. The DS remakes of Gold and Silver are probably my favorite though.

#14 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

Fire Red/Leaf Green combined the improved mechanics and art of the later games with the best pokemon in the series. Gold an Silver were pretty good too. i never played the DS ones because I never owned a DS.

#15 Posted by Nasar7 (2601 posts) -

Red, son.

#16 Posted by Nasar7 (2601 posts) -

Red, son.

#17 Posted by WaterLord0 (44 posts) -

Pokemon Silver/Gold it was the first time I could have a full team of eevee/eevee evolutions.

#19 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Silver is my favorite. Generation 2 evolved the mechanics of earlier games in a lot of cool ways, and getting to go back and explore the previous region and face off against Red was really cool to me.

This guy has it right, IMO. I grow less and less fond of the Pokemon designs with each passing generation, and Silver hit the sweet spot between having all the Pokemon I loved while still adding some new ones. I didn't particularly care for any of the ones after that, but they're not bad by any means. Just different and feel even slower.

#20 Posted by CircusPeanuts (5 posts) -

Fire Red/ Leaf Green have special places in my heart.

#21 Edited by Wess (100 posts) -

My favorites will always be the original Red/Blue. However, outside of that Platinum is pretty awesome. If I just order the different generations, I think it would be this:

1. Red/Blue (Gen 1)
  2. Diamond/Pearl (Gen 4)
  3. Gold/Silver (Gen 2)
  4. Black/White (Gen 5)
  5. Ruby/Sapphire (Gen 3)
#22 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

Gotta be Yellow. Surfing pikachu mini game, absolutely fantastic.

#23 Posted by Yummylee (21243 posts) -

I can't quite even remember what the differences between them where anymore. I followed the series up till I think... Crystal? Whichever one it was that introduced the option to play as a girl. I enjoyed 'em all a lot way back when, though.

#24 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2301 posts) -

I say Blue is the best because Blastoise is on the cover. My actual favorite is either Leafgreen or Emerald.

#25 Posted by MocBucket62 (1147 posts) -

I'd say Yellow. It was a get well gift and I loved the thing, though at first I kept losing my save because I thought the game saves automatically.

#26 Posted by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

Blue.

#27 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

Red has the best memories for me, but I think it was Silver that felt like the game had a good evolution. Hoping X/Y moving to 3D will be as good as I'm allowing myself to hope for.

#28 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1287 posts) -

Blue...Silver was also good. I have not played a Pokemon game since

#29 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2195 posts) -

Gold and Silver. Who needs 8 badges when in GS you could get 16!

@yummylee said:

I can't quite even remember what the differences between them where anymore. I followed the series up till I think... Crystal? Whichever one it was that introduced the option to play as a girl. I enjoyed 'em all a lot way back when, though.

yeah I believe it was Crystal that let you choose between playing as a boy or girl

#30 Edited by 49th (2689 posts) -

Gold because of the extra badges.

#31 Posted by Flappy (2127 posts) -

16 badges > 8 badges. As a kid, that's the math I used to determine that Silver/Gold were better than the previous games. Oh, and Totodile was totally awesome.

#32 Edited by Zeik (2220 posts) -

Black/White is probably my favorite to actually play, but Red/Blue will always hold a special place.

I've never quite understood the love for Gold/Silver. It's a fine game, but I didn't think it was as outstanding as some people make it out to be. But maybe it's just my experience with the original and the time in which I played it. It was right when I was starting burn out on Pokemon (after burning white hot from the moment I played Blue), so I left the game with mixed feelings.

#33 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3005 posts) -

I think Diamond because it was the first one to take advantage of playing others through wifi. I could literally be playing against my cousin across the country in my boxers and briefs.

#34 Posted by Itwongo (1119 posts) -

Gen 2 followed immediately by its remakes in gen 4, but both are kinda centered on well-founded nostalgia. I skipped gen 5, but I'll be getting gen 6.

#35 Posted by DarkShaper (1320 posts) -

Gen 1 will always have a special place in my heart but there is something I really love about each gen except 3. 3 was fine but was more about looking great than anything else.

#36 Edited by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

Yellow, because you freaking get all 3 starters!