your favorite series that hit a dead end.

• 72 results
Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Supermarius

Hi. So i was thinking today about one of my favorite series that looks like it will never have another sequel. The SSX games. SSX3 was sublime. It made snowboarding really fun and arcadey with compelliing graphics, interesting courses, unique likable characters. An open world style trio of highly explorable mountains. A realxed non-linear progression system where you could choose to concentrate on racing or tricks and excellent music ant style. ITs one of my favorite games ever, and i dont mean just in the sports genre. But now its looking like we might not see anymore of them because the last two games were busts.

SSX on Tour, while not really a bad game, was not up to the ssx 3 or Tricky standard. It removed all the characters, took out the open world, made character progression slow and confusing, looked graphically worse, and had a weird punk rock napoleon dynamite doodle thing going on instead of the hip (okay, maybe a little "hipster") atmosphere of ssx 3. It was strongly disliked by fans. This was followed up by ssx blur, which was essentially just a rehash of old ssx3 and on tour tracks with weirded out versions of ssx3 characters, kinda muddled graphics and highly complex, though not necessarily bad, motion controls with no gamecube controller option.

Now its looking like the series may not get another revisit and its a total bummer. Do you have a favorite series that developers ran into the ground and now you wont see any more entries?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Dood, I absolutely agree with you on SSX.  It's funny that as much as I love SSX3, I just realized that I NEVER talk about that game on the forums.

I was seriously distraught when I played On Tour.  It was such a blasphemy of a game after how amazing SSX3 was.  I know that a lot of people had complained about having to navigate through an open world (which you didn't even have to do, but the open world was a ton of fun), so they went back to the menu selection crap.  Moreover, WHAT WAS WITH THE FUCKING MUSIC?!  All that indie bullshit just didn't sit well in my stomach.  I was definitely more akin to riding the slopes with SSX3's soundtrack.
freakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By freakin

Mortal Kombat.

I've been the biggest fan for so long, but MK vs. DC just killed my love for the franchise.    Used to be my favorite fighting game, now I'm kinda disinterested in the whole thing.     Seems like the MK franchise was brought down by Midway trying to do anything with their popular franchises to make money, even if it means running them into the ground.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

Probably Medal Of Honor. MOH: Airborne was my first 360 game and I loved it. It's too bad that series lost all of its steam.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jakob187
@freakin said:
" Mortal Kombat.I've been the biggest fan for so long, but MK vs. DC just killed my love for the franchise.    Used to be my favorite fighting game, now I'm kinda disinterested in the whole thing.     Seems like the MK franchise was brought down by Midway trying to do anything with their popular franchises to make money, even if it means running them into the ground. "
Aside from the fact that the 360 has a shitty D-pad so playing the game is nigh impossible for the most part, MK vs. DCU was a great return to form for MK after MK4 - MK: Armageddon reigned shit all over the place.  Granted, I kind of enjoyed Deception, but I think it's only because it had the fun little mini-games on it.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By FrankCanada97

Crash Bandicoot was awesome back in it's heyday, but ever since Naughty Dog left it, the series have turned to crap.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By JJOR64

Tomba!  I fucking love the first game.  The second was good but, not as good as the first one.  Now if they would make a third one, I would cum in my pants.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Meowayne

First one to say Final Fantasy. Hurrr.

roddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By roddra

I'd have to say Shining Force. I grew up on Grans Island, and to see the bastardizations they've made over the past few years kills me a little inside. Shining Force 4 would completely rock my world.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By Icemael

Mega Man Battle Network(They did get stale towards the end, but Star Force is hardly an improvement - all the series needed was some changes) and Mega Man Zero.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'll say two genres, take your pick of their better franchises: the beat em' up and the top down shooter.  Why aren't they still making quality Streets of Rage games? (lets forget about those "badatude" train wrecks)  How about a new Smash TV?  If they would just incorporate modern features to these genres they could be resurrected again.  We've seen it done peacemeal and here and there but it should be a regular thing.  Honestly you can just combine the two genres and have an awesome product.  Red Star was pretty sweet and it could have been even better and there's plenty of room to expand on that formula.

EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EgoCheck616

SSX for me if not Half-Life.
They claim that Half-Life 2: Episode 3 is in development. But they have made a mess of the term "TBA".

freakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By freakin
@jakob187 said:
" @freakin said:
" Mortal Kombat.I've been the biggest fan for so long, but MK vs. DC just killed my love for the franchise.    Used to be my favorite fighting game, now I'm kinda disinterested in the whole thing.     Seems like the MK franchise was brought down by Midway trying to do anything with their popular franchises to make money, even if it means running them into the ground. "
Aside from the fact that the 360 has a shitty D-pad so playing the game is nigh impossible for the most part, MK vs. DCU was a great return to form for MK after MK4 - MK: Armageddon reigned shit all over the place.  Granted, I kind of enjoyed Deception, but I think it's only because it had the fun little mini-games on it.
"

I thought MK5 was great at the time, but after playing MK6(which I think was Deception) it completely blew that away in every way, MK6 might be my favorite, I really dug the three styles and was near unbeatable with Raiden online.  MK2 used to be what I pointed to as 'the best', but really after playing it again on the PS3, it's basically just a jump kick fest, though there is something great about the simplicity of the combat, or kombat.   Arm was shit, I agree, but it was kinda enjoyable to me in how ludicrous it was.     MK vs. DC just left me feeling empty inside, maybe the next MK can grab me back though, we'll see.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Akeldama

XIII and luigi's mansion

DaFT_PLAyeRr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DaFT_PLAyeRr

Star wars republic commando

EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EgoCheck616
@Tarsier: Wasn't there just a NWN expansion for the sequel not long ago?
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gizmo

Halo.

OH SNAP.

Joking off-course, Halo 3 was excellent.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EgoCheck616 said:
" @Tarsier: Wasn't there just a NWN expansion for the sequel not long ago? "
There was.  NWN is by no means dead.  There's talk of turning it into an MMO now.
Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ChickenPants
@Supermarius said:
" Hi. So i was thinking today about one of my favorite series that looks like it will never have another sequel. The SSX games.
Totally agree with you man.I spent hours upon hours on both Tricky and SSX3, but then when I got my hands on On Tour it just repulsed me in so many ways....

One thing I will say about Final Fantasy though is that I wish they would keep the online titles out of the main series.Words can't describe the shift from pure excitement to disappointment I felt when I saw ''Online'' flash up under the FFXIV trailer.

The series I really hope they bring back is Timesplitters,my favourite FPS of all time.Hopefully 4 is still in the works.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gizmo

Tony Hawks Pro Skater.

Pro Skater 3 was incredible, I invested many fun hours into that game.

It's dead now, it would take nothing short of a miracle to ressurect that franchise.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Akeldama

also i miss oldschool resident evil. 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By EpicSteve

Quake by far. I wish those games could still exist in this day and age. 

Turtlefuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Turtlefuzz
Perfect Dark and Conker.

Perfect Dark on the 360 is pretty lame. It's not a terrible game, but it's so average. Compared to the N64 game, it's so underwhelming.

Conker on the Xbox was pretty good, but I'd like to see a Conker game on the Xbox 360. It just kind of vanished.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BigBoss1911

james bond games.Devil May Cry 4 would be another,nero just killed the game for me.And GTA 4 left me very dissapointed.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tarsier said:
" @Stephen_Von_Cloud: NWN 2 was dead the day it was released. The system requirements were ridiculous, so nobody got into it, and all the modules people have made for it (that I have seen) are poor.

Then again, I didn't really like most of the modules for the first game either. The only one I ever played was Fork, which had like 7 active servers with different versions. The whole success of those games rides on whether or not there are good modules, and according to my taste, NWN 2 didn't have many. And if it did, none of them were active..
"
Okay, yeah I mean I liked NWN 1 a lot and didn't care for 2 so I understand where you're coming from, it's just this thread was for games that aren't getting new installments at all.

Obsidian seems to go only part way to making good games I think.  Not sure why exactly.
chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#26  Edited By chronicsmoke

shenmue

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#27  Edited By Yummylee

Fear effect :'(

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

Area 51..... *sigh* Blacksite was..... okay I don't want to talk about it :(

Timesplitters..... if only Haze..... if only...

Silent Hill seemed like it was dying but Shattered Memories looks really cool so that's great.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By keyhunter
@freakin said:
Word. I played MK vs. DC for maybe 6 hours. Bad online play, DC characters are, and always will be extremely stupid, and the lack of gore really drives the stake in. They should just sell all the rights to MK to capcom or SNK or something and have them do some kind of crazy mashup.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
" @Tarsier said:
" @Stephen_Von_Cloud: NWN 2 was dead the day it was released. The system requirements were ridiculous, so nobody got into it, and all the modules people have made for it (that I have seen) are poor.

Then again, I didn't really like most of the modules for the first game either. The only one I ever played was Fork, which had like 7 active servers with different versions. The whole success of those games rides on whether or not there are good modules, and according to my taste, NWN 2 didn't have many. And if it did, none of them were active..
"
Okay, yeah I mean I liked NWN 1 a lot and didn't care for 2 so I understand where you're coming from, it's just this thread was for games that aren't getting new installments at all.Obsidian seems to go only part way to making good games I think.  Not sure why exactly. "
Why cant it be about games that have new entries, but the new entries either arent updating the franchise or are terrible?
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ineedaname

Not so long ago I was reminded of SSX and went on a massive net hunt to see if there was a new one, there's must have been something, but I found nothing =(
Makes me sad.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ket87

Resident Evil is dead to me (no pun intended), that series lost its way after Code Veronica when Capcom turned its back on the faithfull to go after the casual.  And to go way back to my childhood days I miss the joy that came from the original Sonic games the first three + Sonic & Knuckles were fantastic, and also I miss Vectorman. I was pumped when they announced the PS2/Xbox revival but for some stupid reason or another it got canceled. Way to shit on my parade guys.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zombie2011

Republic Commando. Who doesn't like Rainbow Six with those white army guys from Star Wars, don't know their name.

It was such a good game, I liked it more than Rainbow Six 3.
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JeffGoldblum said:
" @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
" @Tarsier said:

"
Okay, yeah I mean I liked NWN 1 a lot and didn't care for 2 so I understand where you're coming from, it's just this thread was for games that aren't getting new installments at all.Obsidian seems to go only part way to making good games I think.  Not sure why exactly. "
Why cant it be about games that have new entries, but the new entries either arent updating the franchise or are terrible? "
hell you can post whatever you want, but I'm just trying to go off the spirit of what the OP said.  In his first post he just said NWN, and I thought he didn't know there was a sequel or something.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jakob187
@SuperMooseman said:
" Simon the Sorcerer. They ruined that series with 3, and 4 and 5 was made by a German company, meaning the English translation is crappy and horribly voice acted. I think the original script was completely messed up too, as from what I gather they made Simon the opposite of the sarcastic, British guy he should be. "
Moosey, you never cease to amaze me.  = D

@zombie2011 said:
" Republic Commando. Who doesn't like Rainbow Six with those white army guys from Star Wars, don't know their name."
O.O  Did you just say that?  Seriously?  I smell an MB ban approaching!  lol
dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By dsplayer1010

NBA Street or Tony Hawk

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dsplayer1010 said:
" NBA Street
Another great one.  Homecourt was the worst too.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Jeust

Silent Hill... without team silent, it was never the same again.

And there is no game like silent hill :'

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Absurd

Monkey Island, I'm stoked for the new games, but I'm also feeling really uncertain.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Dizzyhippos

Zone of the enders, as much as I love MGS I want another ZOE the 2nd one was by far the best giant robot game in a long while

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AuthenticM

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Sonic the Hedgehog yet. So here I go:

Sonic the Hedgehog.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bubahula

@DaFT_PLAyeRr said:

"Star wars republic commando"

oh yah , i remember that game being pretty fun,  that disapeared pretty fast

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By Black_Rose

Soul Calibur for me. Loved Soul Blade, Soul Calibur and SCII but after 3 and Legend it just went downhill.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Red

Golden Sun...UNTIL NINTENDO'S PRESS CONFERENCE.
Come on guys. Resurrections can happen.

Terra1909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Terra1909

The original Phantasy Star series. PS IV is still one of my favorite games of all time. The PSO stuff they've been doing for the last few years has been junk. I'd love to see another proper Phantasy Star game.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By Black_Rose
@jakob187 said:
"@zombie2011 said:
" Republic Commando. Who doesn't like Rainbow Six with those white army guys from Star Wars, don't know their name."
"
He's not alone...I vaguely remember their name...Star Troopers or Shippers or something >_<
Deathdealer108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Deathdealer108

They need to reboot Streets of Rage. I loved those games as a kid. Even if they just pulled a mega man 9 I would be happy.

Terra1909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Terra1909
@Black_Rose said:
" @jakob187 said:
"@zombie2011 said:
"
He's not alone...I vaguely remember their name...Star Troopers or Shippers or something >_< "
I think it was Starship Troopers actually. Yeah, I think that's right.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TheGreatGuero

The Tony Hawk series. A dead end has been hit. It makes me so sad.