#1 Posted by mattdragn (73 posts) -

So I've always been a big fan of video game music, and have a somewhat hefty playlist on Youtube to prove it http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEF543D447DA8191D. Now for me the best video game music helps a great game incite emotion from the player, be it excitement, fear, sadness or confidence. To that end I would say that my favorite ever piece of game music is Atolm Dragon from Panzer Dragoon Saga:

It may not be technically amazing by todays standards but at the time it was almost in a league of it's own. Not only is it a very good track but it would also only play in a select few places in game. First it played in the intro of the game as shown above, which at least for my young self got me real excited to play the game, but second it would play during fights against Atolm Dragon, one of the more significant bosses in the game, in which it invoked a sense of fear and anticipation as you fought against your nemesis.

All of which brings me to my question. What is your single favorite video game track and why? Is it because it elicits an emotional response as I detailed above, or simply because it was a piece of music that blew your mind?

#2 Posted by UnrealDP (1217 posts) -

The GTA4 soundtrack is pretty amazing, it's even amazing without the game.

#3 Posted by crusader8463 (14321 posts) -

Whatever I posted in the million other threads made about this topic.

#4 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

#5 Posted by supermike6 (3523 posts) -

These threads are dumb, but I still want to post this.

#6 Posted by beckley205 (310 posts) -

The Siege of Madrigal. Im to lazy to embed

#7 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

I thought this was a thread about racing games.

#8 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

Best one I can think of right now. Inon Zur is a genius.

#9 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

#10 Posted by uniform (1830 posts) -

#11 Edited by takua108 (1475 posts) -

I could listen to this on loop for the rest of my life:

#12 Posted by believer258 (11048 posts) -

Eh. The Halo soundtrack, I guess. I never have paid much attention to the music in video games. 

Actually, I really like it when a developer knows when to turn the music off. This isn't as much of a problem nowadays but I used to turn the music off of many older games because I wanted some nice quiet peace as I blew my more pixelated enemies into oblivion. 

Speaking of Oblivion, its soundtrack is really good. OK, it's seemingly always on, but the volume on it is really low and it sets the mood for wherever you are really well. Plus it serves as a nice "alert, mudcrab nearby" thing because the music abruptly changes when enemies come along. And even stopping to listen to the outdoors music feels really good. 

Saints Row 2 picked out some good metal and rock songs. Don't much care for the rap, but oh well. 

Also, I like the intros for Kingdom Hearts 1, 2, and Birth By Sleep. I would never admit that in person, but I thought they were nice little tunes. 

Bioshock's soundtrack really set the mood quite well. Too bad the level design and stupid camera broke it.

#13 Posted by HODGEY3000 (344 posts) -

c'mon son 
#14 Posted by SmasheControllers (2543 posts) -
#15 Posted by RandomBullet (55 posts) -

Just a great, god damn piece of music.
#16 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -
#17 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

2:20 is when my favourite part starts.  the guy in the comment section has the right idea....   I also like the soundtrack in GTA IV because of the radio, I mean, they got DJ Premier for the Classic radio station.  that was my favourite
#18 Edited by OroJackson (680 posts) -
#19 Posted by Vexxan (4598 posts) -
#20 Posted by mordukai (7092 posts) -

Highly disappointed no one posted this yet.  

This piece mirrored perfectly the essence of BioShock. 
#21 Posted by firewrkninja (227 posts) -

Rainbow Road.
Oh wait, not that kind of track.

#22 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Turnin' this thread on its head.

#23 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (737 posts) -

Let's just get this out of the way.

#24 Edited by CounterShock (419 posts) -

#25 Posted by EveretteScott (1328 posts) -

#26 Posted by TobbRobb (4408 posts) -
#27 Posted by advocatefish (355 posts) -

Anything from Donkey Kong Country.

#28 Posted by SkylarTrace (118 posts) -

#29 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9767 posts) -

#30 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1021 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan: Damn ninja!
Well then it has to be this   
#31 Edited by guanophobic (208 posts) -

Hearing the lower Afterlife-music in Mass Effect 2 for the first time gave me some hardcore goosebumps. That and the trailersoundtrack of Human Revolution:

#32 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

The Witcher 2 menu/trailer theme. Awesome.

#33 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

Turnin' this thread on its head.

That was magical.

#34 Posted by wafflez (519 posts) -

SERIOUSLY?!

Also

#35 Posted by Glottery (911 posts) -

Oh, it's a thread like this...but hey, I haven't posted in a thread like this before, not on these forums at least!

#36 Posted by apoptosis61 (600 posts) -