Your favorite youtube "Let's Play" series and why.

behardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

xcalizorz

pcgamer999

penguinz0

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

TBFP, GameGrumps(I am not of fan of GG anymore as it's lost it's spirit somehow, I like JonTron and early Danny eps, I think I stopped watching around the time they expanded into all the other shows, the last play I watched was Silent Hill Shattered Memories.). I watch SplitPlaythru for walkthroughs and overall game watching.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nmc2008: i kinda thought it has gotten better with danny. i find jontrons humour doesn't transition well on the lets play format.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like GetDaved a lot. He doesn't try too hard to be funny and his voice is really relaxing. He's got a good KOTOR one if you wanna relive that gem. I got into him after looking up his Sword of the Stars LP.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

@fallen189:

Game Informer just recently did a pretty good article on Lets play from its origins to current status and he was one of those they listed as their favorites, so i checked it out. WTF? I wonder why i keep my gaming hobby secretive in which i dont talk about it in the office or around friends.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@scrawnto introduced me to neddle69 (now Pudd'n Neil) quite a few years ago now, which got me into the ArmA series. Absolutely hilarious to listen to the two just bullshit with each other.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#157  Edited By Sooty

I don't watch them, if I am gonna watch someone play a game it will be for a tournament like on Street Fighter. Rather not waste my time with someone as annoying as PewDiePie.

I have used them at times to quickly check out some gameplay of something, but that's it. I really can't stand all the forced humour.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like GetDaved a lot. He doesn't try too hard to be funny and his voice is really relaxing. He's got a good KOTOR one if you wanna relive that gem. I got into him after looking up his Sword of the Stars LP.

Glad to see someone mention him. I've been a fan after seeing Galactic Civilizations, and then all the other 4X space games, and now Age of Wonders III.

Looking back at my old post...Coestar stopped the typical format stuff, and even stopped making videos for a long time, but has been cranking out a lot of Murder / Prop Hunt / Deathrun videos now that he's back, all of which are hilarious.

HatFilm's FTB/HatPack and Skyblock series are great.

I've also subbed to a few of the Yogscast folks.

And Game Grumps and the other spinoff things they do are always dumb but hilarious to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't really tolerate a Let's Play for the most part, watching someone play through the game for the first time, not know anything and kind of just play blind...that's not particularly interesting for me.

I however can watch someone who knows the game and talks about other things going on in the world, which is why I've only watched gaming playthroughs by EpicNameBro and Vageta311(although I've not watched him in a long time).

ENB is a great youtuber. He talks about what it's like living in Japan as an American, the lore and how gameplay mechanics work, about economics and his opinion on universal healthcare. The guy's fantastic and I found myself making a cup of tea (after assignments and whatnot) and just sitting and listening to what he has to say. Vegeta is largely the same but he knows Dark Souls so well that I can listen to him explain how this works and strategies. Anything else, I don't see the enjoyment.

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really enjoy supergreatfriend's LPs. He's informative and amusing, and does great editing too.

This is his website http://www.supergreatfriend.com/ which collects all of his LPs.

His 100% run of Deadly Premonition is great, as is his LP of SWERY's previous work, Spy Fiction. Illbleed is another good one to watch, that game is just so weird, a clip from it appeared on Patrick's Worth Reading a few weeks ago. Also, I highly recommend watching through his current LP of Mode.

Yeah, supergreatfriend is one of the very few let's players that I can actually enjoy. For one, he's the polar-opposite of the a-typical, obnoxious internet personality. Secondly, he actually plays games you might not have heard of. I love all the weird obscurities that he manages to dig up and 100 percent commits to covering. He also tends to play along with the games' idiosyncrasies rather than scream "What the fuck is going on?! This is SO weird!" like a lot of lpers do when covering stranger games. The Deadly Premonition LP he did is way better at explaining the appeal of that weird game than any other coverage I've seen of it on the internet.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I prefer watching stuff live on Twitch then archives on YouTube. Mainly Speed Runs. Why take forever to watch a Playthrough of a game when you can see the whole game played well in roughly an hour/few hours.

Some runners I like are FlareRDB, Werster, CosmoWright, Trihex, DarkSpineSonic, SSBMStuff, iateyourpie, Peaches__, Toufoul, and many more.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@shadowmoses900 said:

I also recommend HC Bailey if you're into older RPG's.

I don't watch many LPs, but I have been watching his videos of the original Dragon Warrior trilogy and while I find him occasionally annoying the guy does his research. You can tell he makes sure he knows everything he can about the game he's playing and he talks through all the systems and how to optimize leveling and equipment. It actually seems like he does practice/rehersal runs of the games before recording which I can't say for 99% of the other LPers I've seen.

I can honestly say I know more about the original Dragon Quest after watching his videos than I did before and I've played most of the series multiple times.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#163  Edited By Justin258

I stumbled across Kikoskia's LP of Doom 3 a few years back and I've since watched many of his videos. I don't know if I've paid attention to an entire LP, though. Maybe the Minecraft one. They're usually pretty good when you need to take ten minutes or you're eating some food quickly or you just need to sit back and do nothing for a short amount of time.

Can't say that I've ever really looked for any other LP'ers. The few that I have randomly looked into ranged from underconfident to annoying to unsure of how to play the game, potholes which Kikoskia has deftly sidestepped. He also never makes the mistake of yelling into the mic, nor does he overuse curse words, so he deftly sidesteps the overconfident douchebag potholes as well.

He just seems to enjoy making Let's Plays for himself instead of trying to get attention or because he has nothing better to do.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#164  Edited By Nodima

I might've already posted in this thread before, I don't remember. But theo nay Let's Plays I ever got into that weren't GB Endurance Runs were Rydar Games playing Uncharted 3 and Batman Arkham City, mostly because at the time I thought I'd never put in for those games (Playstation Plus to the rescue!) and I thought his faint lisp, sort-of Baltimore accent and seemingly perpetual bafflement over what video games are was pretty funny to me. I went back to see what he's been up to recently and it sounds like he's hit some really hard times after the Youtube stream purge of last fall. Lost his partnership, lost his channel, lost his followers, he seemed pretty depressed. Hopefully he can regain what he had before, seemed like his Let's Play channel was a pretty big deal in his life.

User_Undefined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kinda bummed no one's mentioned Gopher. He's a mod maker for several Bethesda games, but people convinced him to start making Let's Plays.

Right now, he has a Skyrim and a New Vegas LP going, but he also livestreams Skyrim mod testing on Mondays, something on Wednesdays, and recently XCOM on Fridays at 2030 Central European Time in addition to sometimes just jumping on and streaming Titanfall or some other game. I like him because of how immersed in the game he can get. He'll rant at an NPC for saying something dumb, doesn't blame stuff on game mechanics, and is really good at hiding player knowledge when it comes to stuff like quests, people, and items.

He also has a decent backlog with Fallout 3, both Amnesia games, a Malkavian Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines, both Metro games, Outlast, a seperate Skyrim playthrough that became corrupted unfortunately (still a fun watch), and an attempt to play Dishonored without using any powers. He also has several mod reviews for Skyrim, New Vegas, and Fallout 3 that not only talk about the mod, but show how to install them.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's beginning to annoy the ever loving shit out of me how people create an account to comment on a thread that is over a year old and then never post again.

Edit: Might as well contribute, I present to you all the best LP of Deadly Premonition:

Loading Video...

Sorry to those of you who liked Giantbomb's playthroughs, but those don't have anything on this. It's a 100% run and he loves to point out so many details and really go into the whole "lore" of the town. It's so good that it convinced my to buy the game for myself, and I even got into Twin Peaks because of it. This is probably my favorite LP to be honest.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Giant Bomb's own Persona 4 endurance run. It's my favorite because it was my first.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

These days, my favorite Let's Plays are the ones on Phil Kollar's Twitch channel StreamFriends because of the great conversations about games as a medium between Phil, Janine Hawkins, and Austin Walker.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#169  Edited By Evilsbane

@Vonocourt said:

@Fattony12000: I heard that Konami did not appreciate those videos.

Got introduced to Chkilroy a while ago through his DayZ videos, but it's really fascinating watching his Arma2 videos.

That video is amazing. Thanks.

Kinda glad this got necro'ed that is worth a fucking watch.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I still think Proteus and Suspicious are the perfect lets play team, sad that they haven't done anything for years since abandoning Bulletstorm (don't know what even happened)

Daikatana is probably my all time favorite let's play. Playing a glitchy ass disappointing game where just about every video brings with it a new insane almost game breaking glitch and catch phrase

https://archive.org/details/LP_Daikatana

They also did an LP of Quake 2

http://bd.baldurk.org/lp/38

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone know of any good female lets players that don't just play blizzard games, lol, or minecraft?

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By stryker1121

Game Informer has some fun Let's Plays (called Super Replays) of shitty Resident Evil survival-horror ripoffs from the 90s. Check out Overblood 2, Blue Stinger and the Cyberia series. Couple of quality Elder Scrolls LPers out there as well, Sorcerer Dave is a good one, as is Gix.

@user_undefined: Seconded on Gopher..haven't watched a ton of his stuff besides his New Vegas modding vids, but he he's got a chill personality and puts out loads of content.

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato said:

Day9's Amnesia playthrough is hilarious.

I second this. I paid money for the game as support for the fact that Day9's Amnesia playthrough was the most entertaining thing ever. (To come out of Let's Play type things)

razzdrazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scrawnto said:

These days, my favorite Let's Plays are the ones on Phil Kollar's Twitch channel StreamFriends because of the great conversations about games as a medium between Phil, Janine Hawkins, and Austin Walker.

They're the best! Especially the park ranger one.

Wired_Abyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two Best Friends are my favorite Let's Players. If I had to choose one series of there's, I'd probably choose either their Eternal Darkness LP or their Indigo Prophecy LP. Overall they're funny dudes who don't try hard to be funny.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Capum15
@evilsbane said:

@slashdance said:

@Vonocourt said:

@Fattony12000: I heard that Konami did not appreciate those videos.

Got introduced to Chkilroy a while ago through his DayZ videos, but it's really fascinating watching his Arma2 videos.

That video is amazing. Thanks.

Kinda glad this got necro'ed that is worth a fucking watch.

Marg Bar Amrika is also hilarious, and Against The Red Tide has a fucking great ~3 minute intro. Kilroy has some of the greatest Arma videos.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

That intro is like a movie. Claymore is great. "This is Army Airmobile and we're getting FUCKED UP!"

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#177  Edited By Brackynews

Our own Hamst3r's Amnesia LP is one of the few I have actually watched in its entirety. Same goes for Fear Gauntlet which counts since it was never posted on GB proper. ;) Otherwise I'm an EpicNameBro and Markiplier fan. Few other channels keep pulling me back by pure host-appeal.

I'm a stickler that a LP has to be interactive with the audience. I'm not so 2002 that it still needs to be screenshots, but if it's not "Let Us" it's just not.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#178  Edited By Corevi

since a bunch of people already said my legit favourite LPer ChipCheezum, i will go with the magnum opus of stupidity that is pokecapn's Sonic 06, because in the immortal words of medibot "Attention game designers: FUCK!SHIT!CUNTWAGGLE! Love, Medibot."

Loading Video...

redgetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjor64 yah, i prefer watching speedruns as well for certain types of games as you get to learn new tricks that you can try out if you ever play the game again. Cosmo's videos are definitely fun. That said though, I do watch let's plays for games like minecraft *cough cough* :) or "goat simulator" ones are fun to watch too.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@random45: It disappointed me so much when neither of the GB teams got the Grecotch.

TDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know of someone who does let's plays of horror games but doesn't come off as a huge twat with forces screams and pretending to be overly terrified? I'm to much of a pussy to play those games myself but i'd like to see the stories. Still most let's players come off as annoying, self-involved idiots.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdot: Jesse Cox (omfgcata) did a playthrough of Outlast. I usually cannot watch people play horror games because of the fake reactions. I sat through omfgcata's playthrough - I'm too much of a pussy to play games like that, too.

And Giant Bomb's own Patrick Klepick. I don't remember if he played through any games, but I do like his analysis of the thrills, whether they're good scares, or cheap monster closet jump tricks.

TDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre said:

@tdot: Jesse Cox (omfgcata) did a playthrough of Outlast. I usually cannot watch people play horror games because of the fake reactions. I sat through omfgcata's playthrough - I'm too much of a pussy to play games like that, too.

And Giant Bomb's own Patrick Klepick. I don't remember if he played through any games, but I do like his analysis of the thrills, whether they're good scares, or cheap monster closet jump tricks.

i'm a big spookin' fan but he doesn't play through entire games unfortunately.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce:

EVERYONE needs to watch Game Informers playthrough of Illbleed

Loading Video...

User_Undefined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdot: You might want to try Gopher. He's done Amnesia, A Machine For Pigs, and Outlast. They're all blind playthroughs, so when he acts surprised, it's because he is. He also has a good voice, which is part of the reason I watch so few LPs.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By AMyggen

@capum15: CHKilroy is really great. Shame he has more or less stopped posting videos.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This playlist features members of Shactac playing Arma II, the Napoleonic Wars mod.

Whats great about ti is that they operate like real units, marching in formation, lining up and then blasting each other with muskets. When they get into melee they put away the guns and start shiv-ing each other. It's comedy gold. These guys have a great sense of humour and it seems like the best time!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL755D62C94C922B28

KingdanglerBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cunt / Tunt Life Inside Gaming

wishful_starrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#192  Edited By confusedowl

Slowbeef and Diabetus's playthrough of the first Dead to Rights is a classic for me and is what made me a fan of theirs for all these years. I also really enjoyed their playthrough of Metroid prime 1-3 (Think I might go back and rewatch these soon).

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Mechanical_Ape

@tdot: You might want to check out Niggurath. He mostly does horror games. No scare-cams or forced reactions, he lets the games speak for themselves. In particular I'd suggest his playthrough of Rule of Rose. It's a great game and one of the few I'd actually consider creepy and he did a good job playing it.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

@capum15: CHKilroy is really great. Shame he has more or less stopped posting videos.

Yeah, they're definitely more spaced out than they were. Dslyecxi has some good ones though.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid: I hadn't seen that one but now that I'm halfway through it I will agree with you completely. It's like watching the GB guys play through Deadly Premonition or something, what a silly silly game.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@user_undefined: Came here to mention him, so you're definitely not alone. I've followed his videos for a long time and learned almost everything I know about modding from his tutorials. I highly recommend his tutorials and playthroughs.

yeahimjordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big fan of the Achievement Hunter guys and PewDiePie, but I'm late to his party. TotalBisquit offers a unique look and style to his videos as well. Wouldn't hurt to throw my name in the hat, I started not too long ago and still in the learning stages, but have a look duders!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/RazorlutionPlays

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Two Best Friends Play AKA The Sw1tcher. They're Let's Play of Beyond: Two Souls is magical.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Calmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce:

EVERYONE needs to watch Game Informers playthrough of Illbleed

Loading Video...

Just finished watching all 12 episodes on Youtube. Great suggestion! First I had seen of Dan's pre-Giantbomb stuff. I really recommend this one to anyone who enjoyed the Endurance Runs - especially Deadly Premonition.

I may be biased though, I was born and raised in Minnesota, so hearing those accents brought back some good memories.