#1 Edited by RainVillain (480 posts) -

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of making a simple point and click adventure game with a lot of emphasis on storytelling and exploration and less about the puzzles.

That said, I feel like I should probably play more adventure games. The only ones that I've played are:

The Walking Dead

Machinarium

Grim Fandango

Monkey Island IV

Back to the Future

I enjoyed all of these (except BttF) and would love some recommendations, both classics and modern. I know Vinny is always harping on a bunch of adventure games, so I'll look into the quick looks he and the GB crew have done.

#2 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Beneath A Steel Sky is pretty good, it's also free which is a plus.

#3 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Full Throttle.

Day of the Tentacle.

The Curse of Monkey Island ( must play, every second spent in this world is worth gold )

Deponia isn't a bad choice either, and quite modern.

The Whispered World for its incredible art.

#4 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

Definitely Uncharted. They always took you to far exotic places to big cities but once in the big cities, they took you somewhere no one has gone for 100's of years. Which I really enjoyed. Also, it seemed to always be an adventure just getting to the destination since something went wrong every single time.

#5 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2206 posts) -

The Longest Journey and The Walking Dead.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (35848 posts) -

Machinarium's probably the best I've played.

#7 Posted by cloudymusic (1041 posts) -

Grim Fandango

The Longest Journey

King's Quest VI

#8 Edited by Kidavenger (3488 posts) -
#9 Edited by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

The Walking Dead of course, along with the first two Broken Sword games (I especially adoooore the first one; childhood favourite) and... I haven't played a lot of Adventure games unfortunately. Really looking forward to this new Broken Sword game, though, particularly because it'll theoretically be released on consoles, too.

EDIT: GODDAMNIT, I also really liked Heavy Rain, too. Oh and Indigo Prophecy, least until the shitty flashback stealth segments... never did complete it.

#10 Posted by Jeust (10454 posts) -

Broken Sword 3, Uncharted 1 and 3.

#11 Posted by AssInAss (2530 posts) -

The Neverhood was amazing.

Indeed

(click for gif)

I marathon'ed The Longest Journey and Dreamfall last week for the first time, they're absolutely some of the best (even with the bad combat in Dreamfall). Made a thread on their Dreamfall Chapters Kickstarter.

Broken Sword is top material too, if you really want an Indiana Jones style globetrotting, investigating adventure with one of the best couples in gaming, George Stobbart and Nico Cottard.

Recently, Kentucky Route Zero is pretty damn good. Spooky open road adventure.

#12 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1249 posts) -

For ones not mentioned because I love many adventure games.

Space Quest IV, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Resonance and Gemini Rue.

I'm currently working on The Book of Unwritten Tales, and Under a Killing Moon.

#13 Posted by rentacop (107 posts) -

@lord_xp said:

Definitely Uncharted. They always took you to far exotic places to big cities but once in the big cities, they took you somewhere no one has gone for 100's of years. Which I really enjoyed. Also, it seemed to always be an adventure just getting to the destination since something went wrong every single time.

Agree on UC. They really hit it out of the park with the visuals. Some of my favorite moments are hanging on a cliff face looking around at their creation. The pacing is also fantastic, making it feel like a movie-quality adventure.

#14 Edited by Funkydupe (3305 posts) -

Beneath A Steel Sky is pretty good, it's also free which is a plus.

I loved that "universe" if I'm allowed to call it that. Very cool, industrial sci-fi'ish environments and characters. The cool factor of having Richard Dean Anderson voice the main character cannot be understated.

#15 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

I never got too into just straight up adventure games but I did love The Walking Dead and Indigo Prophecy. I've tried quite a few others but I may have tried some bad choices and didn't find much else I really enjoyed in that genre.