• 58 results
#1 Posted by Unilad (559 posts) -

So I was recently having a conversation with friends about which is our favourite GTA. Whilst my friends came down heavy on the side of GTA IV, however I stood my ground with Vice City. I just think the atmosphere was better. Characters were funnier, music was great and it was just a great game!

With the next GTA rapidly approaching, I'm interested to know what is your favourite GTA, why? Ad what do you hope for in the next one.?

#2 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

GTA IV > GTA San Andreas > GTA Vice City > GTA III > 2D GTAs (excluding Chinatown Wars, because I haven't played it yet). Dunno about the PSP exclusive 3D GTAs, I don't expect those to be great, nor did I play 'em.

GTA gets exponentially better, the more its world simulation improves - so thus far, every iteration of GTA was an improvement over the prior entry in the franchise.

I'm confident GTA V will deliver. I expect a step-up in every way imaginable. It's going to be the shit! Can't wait to cruise the greater Los Santos region in a sportscar like I'm Smokey and the Bandit - listening to good music on the car radio - and just having a good time with what crazy lively virual world Rockstar North has created.

#3 Posted by Humanity (9054 posts) -

Vice City hands down.

#4 Edited by Jojojimmeny (60 posts) -

For me it was Vice City. The awesome soundtrack, the neon lights, and characters like Lance Vance and Love Fist... So much dumb fun. My friends and I spent many days messing around with that game on PC, modding in different car models and playing around with the handling, and for me it was the first game I played that had enjoyable motorbikes.

#5 Edited by aguststef (37 posts) -

For me GTA III will always have a huge part of my heart. It was so groundbreaking that it just completely blew my mind. I have played all of the GTA games (yes even GTA Advance) and GTA III is the game I have sunk the most hours into. The map of GTA III will be forever burned into my mind!

Also because I didn't realize until very late on that you could actually change the radio stations manually I always listened to the radio station already on when I nicked a car. In the other GTA games I always find some channels I like and stick to them which stops me from enjoying the whole set of radio stations like I did with GTA III.

GTA IV is also a masterpiece in my eyes but GTA III will always be my favourite.

EDIT: Also if you haven't played Chinatown Wars you're really missing out, I really hope that the drug trafficking mini game will be somehow implemented into GTA V

#6 Edited by falserelic (5412 posts) -

Good ole san andreas

#7 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

Aside from IV, they're all unplayable today. But it goes like this for me:

• San Andreas
  • IV
  • Vice City
  • GTA 2
  • GTA 3

Kinda sucks that San Andreas, my favorite, aged terribly. All I have is the memories, I can't play that shit.

#8 Posted by TobbRobb (4601 posts) -

I really enjoyed San Andreas for what it was. Part of it was coming in too late to enjoy Vice City properly "the style of that game would fit me better in general", and part of it is seriously despising a lot of what GTA 4 did.

So in the end, the goofy gangbanger game comes on top, at least I bothered to finish it and managed to have fun in the open world.

#9 Posted by Vextroid (1389 posts) -

For me it was Vice City. The awesome soundtrack, the neon lights, and characters like Lance Vance... So much dumb fun. My friends and I spent many days messing around with that game on PC, modding in different car models and playing around with the handling, and for me it was the first game I played that had enjoyable motorbikes.

This. Word for word.

#10 Edited by Mr_Misery (258 posts) -
  1. GTA III
  2. Chinatown Wars
  3. San Andreas
  4. GTA IV
  5. Vice City
#11 Posted by Revan_NL (335 posts) -

1. GTA Vice City (to be fair I played Vice City before GTA III, but I really liked the city, the atmosphere and the music)

2. GTA III

3. GTA IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony (this was GTA IV as it should have been in terms of style, mission design and characters)

4. GTA: Liberty City Stories (I was just so amazed that I could play GTA on a handheld)

5. GTA: San Andreas (loved the style, but the map was too big for my taste and the story kinda lost itself at some point)

#12 Posted by randomcharachter (62 posts) -

San Andreas number 1 for me

#13 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -
  1. GTA 3
  2. GTA 2
  3. Vice city
  4. San andreas
  5. GTA 4
#14 Posted by mracoon (4967 posts) -

GTA 2 mostly because of nostalgia. The only 3D GTA I've put a significant amount of time into is GTA III.

#15 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I can't defend it as the best of the games, which it isn't, but GTA III will always be my favorite.

#16 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

1. GTA4

2. GTA3

3. GTA SA

4. Vice City

I loved 4. It's got the best written characters, I actually like the protagonist for the first time in a GTA game, it was just a god damn blast to play as well. Sure going back now i think "UGH these controls!" but at the time it was amazing.

I didn't like Vice City since it felt like well, scarface the game. Plus its got easily the worst city for freeroam fun, its just so damn flat. No hills no elevation, it sucked to just run around and do shit because of that.

#17 Posted by jimmy_p (278 posts) -

San Andreas, have completed it atleast 4 times and is probably my all-time favourite game. Never truly adjusted to the GTA3/Vice City controls

#18 Posted by _Horde (839 posts) -

I really, really liked San Andreas. The customization options and stuff like that made it for me. I also liked GTA IV a hell of a lot. But, give me any GTA game and I'll play through it with joy.

#19 Edited by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Vice City and IV are equally brilliant to me. For one, I absolutely adored the world of Vice City. On the other hand, I couldn't get enough of the characters from IV and the online multiplayer.

#20 Posted by ElixirBronze (424 posts) -

1. Vice City

2. GTA 3

3. GTA 4

San Andreas doesn't even deserve a 4th as I'd probably rather play GTA 1 & 2 before that. San Andreas was just way too packed with countryside bullshit and it sort of took the fun away from it for me. I feel like Vice city perfected what GTA 3 started, then San Andreas exploited it to shit by being overly ambitious. I also never got into the whole gangster stuff.

#21 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

@clonedzero: Vice city was awesome because of the whole vibe of the game, it was not really about the terrain.

#22 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Saints row the third

#23 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

III for how it redefined my expectations for games (and for nostalgia). IV for the direction it took the series.

#24 Edited by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

San Andreas by a country mile. Love the music, love the time period, love everything about it.

#25 Posted by afabs515 (1019 posts) -

San Andreas. It was my first, I loved CJ, and there were planes to crash. What more could I want in a video game?

#26 Posted by Kaiserreich (690 posts) -
  1. San Andreas
  2. Vice City
  3. IV
  4. III
  5. II

Of the ones I've played

#27 Posted by mosespippy (4114 posts) -
  1. Vice City
  2. GTA2
  3. Bully
  4. The rest of them
  5. Liberty City Stories

It's really difficult to rank 1, 3, 4, SA, VCS, CW, GTAA, and the episodes since none of them stand out as better or worse than the rest.

#28 Posted by kaos_cracker (579 posts) -

San Andreas all the way. I have it on every platform for some reason too, but I'm fine with that.

#29 Posted by mosespippy (4114 posts) -

@clonedzero: @thatdutchguy: Fast cars and bikes with long, straight, wide, flat roads to use them on for getting speed is part of that vibe.

#30 Posted by armaan8014 (5380 posts) -

1. Vice City

2. IV

Shouldve been a poll

#31 Posted by BaneFireLord (2924 posts) -

San Andreas, hands down. The fact that I logged over 70 hours in that game in my first playthrough more than 8 years after its release can attest to that. The only other GTA game I have actually beaten (while I do own all of the non-portable 3D era titles) was IV, which was completely ruined by the decision to not include mid-mission checkpoints in a game released in 2008. Oh, and fuck the cell phone. Fuck it in its stupid bubbly yellow screen.

#32 Posted by Damodar (1343 posts) -

San Andreas. While I appreciate them trying to do different things, San Andreas was just the most fun.

#33 Posted by Bollard (5432 posts) -
#34 Posted by DeF (4858 posts) -

GTA2.

Fuck Hollywood. :P

#35 Posted by GreggD (4487 posts) -

Aside from IV, they're all unplayable today. But it goes like this for me:

• San Andreas
  • IV
  • Vice City
  • GTA 2
  • GTA 3

Kinda sucks that San Andreas, my favorite, aged terribly. All I have is the memories, I can't play that shit.

I'd hardly call them unplayable.

#36 Posted by SpoogeMcduck (186 posts) -

Never finished a GTA game, the closest I've come is Vice City but then I get too into jumps and shooting random people with the sniper rifle. Is it wrong that I enjoy picking up hookers before going over what will probably be a huge jump that I wreck on?

#37 Posted by Cowmeat (142 posts) -

San Andreas

#38 Posted by SavePoint (100 posts) -

Probably had the most fun with San Andreas - I liked the varying landscapes rather than just driving through a city the entire time.

#40 Posted by forkboy (1138 posts) -

Such a tough question. I mean if you're asking me which one I'd want to play today then it'd be GTA4. Because I did play it recently & still enjoyed myself. As for what I enjoyed the most at the time, well I never managed to finish GTA3, don't remember why but I got suck on some mission & just got fed up.

Vice City was revelatory at the time, the whole 80s feel was fantastic & unlike anything I'd seen to that time, but then there was that stupid bloody RC helicopter bombs on a construction site for Burt Reynolds character which was utterly, utterly infuriating. But on the whole the experience was very positive.

San Andreas built on the whole feel of a time period, & is pretty much responsible for my interest in both country & hiphop music. CJ was at least a more sympathetic character than Tommy Vercetti, the dodgy coppers, especially Tenpenny, were fantastic. And personally I really enjoyed the huge scale, there was something satisfying about just driving around the middle of nowhere, listening to K-Dust playing some Creedence. Personally I think San Andreas was the high point for radio in the series, both the music & the chat.

GTA4, well I loved the change of tone myself. Still one of my favourite games of the generation. Obviously still has the whole "protagonist wants to get out, but is also doing some seriously fucked up things" problem.

Doesn't seem fair to compare GTA1 & 2 to what came afterwards, though I enjoyed them both greatly for what they were. Remember fun online games of GTA2 which were rather marred by horrendous lag. So I dunno, 4 > SA > VC > III

#41 Posted by Ezekiel (408 posts) -

IV, for the improved controls/handling and the tech. That said, I was underwhelmed by the story, the missions and the meager minigames, and I wanted a more varied map. Which V appears to have.

#42 Edited by Ares42 (2621 posts) -

I'd say it's a toss-up between vice city and 2 for me. Hard to remember back, but I know I spent a stupid amount of time with both of them. It's also hard to compare considering they come from different GTA eras, but they are both easily the best of their own style.

As for 5, I hope they go back to focusing more on gameplay/open-world stuff. I wanna find and steal cool cars, do sick tricks on bikes etc etc. The campaign is good and all, but the thing that has made GTA magical in the past was all the other stuff you could do. More cool, fun criminal stuff, less bowling and dating.

#43 Edited by ProfessorEss (7319 posts) -

GTA3 proper. Other ones may have been better but none of them had the wow factor of the original genre-definer.

#44 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

GTA 3 for me. I know they improved a lot of stuff got later games, but many of the cars in Vice City controlled like hell, and I'm not enamored with Miami Vice or LA gang movies. Also VC had this super-annoying sunset effect that reduced visibility to zero in many places at the right time. I played 4 till I ran into some terrible driving (early on) and gave up.

#45 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3228 posts) -
Order of SweetnessZe GameRelevant Memory
1GTA IIITo quote Jeff Gerstmann, this was the time in history when someone grabbed the wheel of gaming and said NAH SON, we goin' *this* way now. Easily the most mind shattering experience of my young gaming life.
2Vice CityThe music. The lights. The neon. Driving the faggio on the beach, delivering pizza.
3GTA IVThe first thing I did in GTAIV was just walk down the street, taking in the absurd level of detail in the city. It's still a super well realized world, and the cutscenes were so well acted it was a real shocker. Brucie. Also, there was that time a stray bullet accidentally murdered Dwayne's girlfriend and he never spoke to me again. Messed up. Sad.
4San Andreas The setting is probably my favorite of the series, but this was the one that dragged on for me. Still, riding bikes in the hot ghetto sun, eatin burgers and getting fat was super, super hilarious and awesome.
5GTA 2Hard to remember that this impressed me but it did. Far more of a fast & furious experience than the latter games but GTA2 was an early gaming addiction of mine.
#46 Posted by Dot (163 posts) -

San Andreas. I spent so many hours on that game, and I probably would have spent more if my disc didn't get scratched up.

#47 Posted by CornBREDX (5100 posts) -

The first one.

I have never been a big fan of the polygonal TPS ones, although Vice City and San Andreas were alright games that I got bored of so never finished.

I feel I am now ready to play another one so I am looking forward to GTAV. I probably wont finish it, though. For some reason I cant ever finish open world games. I get bored of them at some point. Still, generally it's money well spent, though. Even if I don't finish I still play for more than 20 hours.

#48 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

Vice City

#49 Posted by SquirrelGOD (501 posts) -

San Andreas is topping my list, with IV at the bottom. I though IV was just boring and kind of up it's own ass, while San Andreas was just non-stop fun and Samuel L. Jackson trying to kill you. I liked the others just fine, but not enough to put thought into where I'd rank them.

#50 Posted by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

Vice City was my favorite, with San Andreas being a close second. I never played GTA IV, and am not all too excited about GTA V.