#1 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

#2 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

D. I'm not going as far to cast doubt on anything the crew does after this point, but I love GB for its independant shenaniguns (?). Hopefully the content doesn't change too much and things transition smoothly.

#3 Posted by xbob42 (517 posts) -

I love it. I have faith that Jeff and crew wouldn't do this if they didn't think it would help them become an even better site. Jeff has done absolutely nothing to make me not trust him at his word, and until he does, I will trust his judgment implicitly.

#4 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5834 posts) -

I chose C because I only use GB for the forums.

#5 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Full blown A.

I have said it multiple times but if the Giant Bomb guys say they will be staying the same then we should trust them, they made lots of valid points and I am really looking forward to the new stuff. I will of course miss the small based thing they had with all of the WM crew in the office but I think it will turn out to be awesome.

#6 Edited by Vinny_Says (5713 posts) -

Nothing says crazier, bigger and more insane like a giant corporation overwatching you.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I'm juss kidding, this should be fun to watch. Hope the forums aren't affected, because some of the stuff said here would never fly over at gamespot. Best of luck to the crew i guess.

#7 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Hoping that this all works out, but it doesn't look it will :/

#8 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Breadfan said:

D. I'm not going as far to cast doubt on anything the crew does after this point, but I love GB for its independant shenaniguns (?). Hopefully the content doesn't change too much and things transition smoothly.

I really hope they don't get formal, Giantbomb has always been a video site, and if the videos and quicklooks because more 'information' about the game and less them just playing, that would be the worst thing to happen. I said before, if CBS just lets them be themselves, and just funds the site, I can say that would be perfect. Also, I find it a little sad that Jeff and Ryan left Gamespot to make their own awesome site, and now they are coming back to the company they left in sort of an awkward fashion, rubs me the wrong way. Let's hope they don't change their attitude to the tone of having to prove themselves. Bah, its all speculation and we can't say for sure until they are in the new building, but man, this is a dramatic change that's happening so fast.

#9 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -

D. Because I'm not stupid.

#10 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Don't care...yet.

We'll see what it all means, I'm here for the forums anyway.

#11 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Gotta go with "B". I'm looking forward to see what's next.

#12 Posted by csl316 (8766 posts) -

I'm cautiously optimistic. People freaked when they moved to a new building with premium memberships, but that turned out cool.

Interesting path they've taken if you've seen the How To Build A Bomb videos. It's grown and changed so much since they first got in that basement.

#13 Posted by Moreau_MD (402 posts) -

@Ragdrazi said:

D. Because I'm not stupid.

This.

#14 Posted by MasterGladden (15 posts) -

Giant Bomb has given us no reason to not trust their decision... Sounds good to me.

#15 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

D. I'm scared as fuck, I love Giantbomb and Whiskey media.

I am really feeling a bunch of mixed emotions.

#16 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

D.  I really  doubt CBS is gonna let Giant Bomb be, it's a corporation all about getting clicks and making money, they're gonna turn Giant Bomb into another mindless click-magnet/money-machine. I'm cancelling my subscription. 

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Don't care...yet.  We'll see what it all means, I'm here for the forums anyway.
Give me that subscription back!
#17 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

It's just a website, and I'm an adult with real-world problems.

#18 Posted by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -

It really depends on either HitmanAgent47 will still be banned after the transition.

Now, seriously, I'm excited. I mean, if Jeff has no problem going back, why would I? It kinda feels like going back home for me too. Back in 2003-2007 I used to love Gamespot, specially during Kasavin's tenure as editor in chief.

#19 Edited by TekZero (2673 posts) -

I don't know what to expect really. I rather liked that Giantbomb and WM was a small operation working out of a basement (in the beginning anyway). I loved how GB was a website that relied heavily on the community for everything (including funding, which is probably what lead them down this road). I actually didn't really like the move to the new/bigger office with all the other people running around.

But looking back, you could see how this was coming and it's not a big surprise to me anymore. Well, GB will always be GB (hopefully).

#20 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

H - Cautious Optimism

#21 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

If they're happy about the acquisition, then so be it. Hopefully I can be convinced otherwise that the soul of the site will not be stripped a la GameFAQs' transition to GS.

Let's wait for the 4PM reveal to see what's going down.

#22 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU said:

You didn't see the "Manchildren only" sign on the clubhouse door?
#23 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

D. I really doubt CBS is gonna let Giant Bomb be, it's a corporation all about getting clicks and making money, they're gonna turn Giant Bomb into another mindless click-magnet/money-machine. I'm cancelling my subscription.

@TaliciaDragonsong said:
Don't care...yet. We'll see what it all means, I'm here for the forums anyway.
Give me that subscription back!

Really, Giantbomb will be normal for the first 3 months with CBS, after that, and CBS isn't happy about the numbers, THEN it will become something we all tried to avoid. Let's hope Giantbomb has great traffic, that's the only way this can keep going.

#24 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@Ragdrazi said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

You didn't see the "Manchildren only" sign on the clubhouse door?

Must have missed it.

#25 Posted by Grixxel (766 posts) -

I hate change, but I can only hope this is for the best.

#26 Posted by WilliamHenry (1204 posts) -

I'm hopeful everything works out, but I can't say that I don't expect this to end badly. I don't see any way CBS doesn't eventually fold GB into Gamespot after a year or two. CBS will eventually realize that they don't need two different video game sites. They'll probably justify it by saying it confuses the users and GB isn't bringing in enough revenue because of that. I'll be surprised if at least one of the guys isn't gone within six months.

#27 Posted by AndrewBeardsley (371 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

This

#28 Posted by Stonyman65 (2725 posts) -

I followed these guys over from Gamespot anyways, so that doesn't really bother me. As long as Jeff and crew still continue to do what we love, then I'm cool.

The only thing that is bothering me is that Tested and Screened won't be working with them. I love those guys too, and It'll be weird knowing they aren't in the same office anymore. Some of the best stuff WM has ever done was when GB/Tested/screened got together.

#29 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

I trust the Bomb crew implicitly but I'm so sure about CBS. Only time will tell.

#30 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Stonyman65: Very true.

#31 Posted by HubrisRanger (489 posts) -

If this was CBSi from three, four years ago, it would be cause for concern. But this is the same company that hired John Davison, and I would follow that man anywhere. The fact that they're finally allowing Jeff to openly talk about Gerstmanngate is just a small sign of how open they're planning to be about the editorial content that both GameSpot and Giant Bomb going forward.

And say what you will, Jeff and Ryan have always put their integrity before everything else. That is what caused the CBS of old to push Jeff out the first time, with Ryan quick to follow after. I doubt they made this decision lightly, especially given the history,; if they had multiple options, this is what allowed them to keep their identity as it has been. And why would CBS buy them just to create a second site identical to GameSpot?

I am not following in blindly, but I find the cynical nature of some detractors to be based on things that happens five years ago, under different administration, really short-sighted. Giant Bomb is going to get more funding and more support to do the things they've always done, will be able to be bring more staff in to support that and remain true to the vision of what this site was in the first place. Throwing that all away to become Another Generic Videogame Website doesn't make sense for them or CBSi. They were purchased precisely because they were different.

#32 Posted by RVonE (4642 posts) -

F. Definitely F.

#33 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

CBSi is a business and I just have a bad feeling that a year down the road some guy in a suit will say "we don't need two videogame sites, lets merge them" and there will be a bunch of layoffs. The GB that I knew and loved will be dead and I'll be sad. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

#34 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic: So you can cancel it? Nevah!
#35 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

I'm going to wait and see what happens before I make any rash decisions!!

In all seriousness though, I'm fairly optimistic. They would not have taken this deal if they thought it would ruin what Giant Bomb stood for. I trust Gerstmann & Co. to have made an educated decision on this deal. I'm just concerned about Screened and Rorie.

#36 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@devilzrule27 said:

CBSi is a business and I just have a bad feeling that a year down the road some guy in a suit will say "we don't need two videogame sites, lets merge them" and there will be a bunch of layoffs. The GB that I knew and loved will be dead and I'll be sad. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

Yeah, then history will repeat itself. Giantbomb will hire a bunch of new guys when they come to CBSi, then the president will merge gamespot with giantbomb and call it giantspot, then Jeff and Ryan will leave and make a new site, they will be independent until someone else buys that site, then repeat.

#37 Posted by wewantsthering (1570 posts) -

I trust the GB guy's judgement and hope for the best. I'm not going to pre-judge them before we see how things actually turn out.

#38 Posted by spamantha (16 posts) -

I'm so excited. I'm so excited. I'm so scared.

#39 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

I'm just sad no alex on screened

#40 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I'm between D and B, but C doesn't really describe my feelings. I'm happy they get to grow and I hope everything is all great and awesome, but I have concerns still that some things will change for the worse. I will miss Will Smith/Norm Chan + GB crew shenanigans. Also I heard someone saying something about Gamespot members joining in on the Giant Bombcast.

YOU LEAVE MY GIANT BOMBCAST ALONE, MOTHERFUCKERS! For real, man, 5 people is the maximum load for me.

Also, if content is still held behind a pay-wall after this move, I feel like that will be a rather shitty move. Before it was necessary to have subscribers to stay afloat and I was all good with that (as you can see), but now they're financed by a large corporation and I don't see them exactly having financial troubles... Sure, have a premium service for set top boxes and no ads and even HD video and other such bonuses, but don't hold back content.

#41 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
I will not have my hard earned money go to CBS! Cancel it, woman!
#42 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Yeah, I feel bad for subscribers right now, talk about uncertainty.

#43 Posted by SpaceRunaway (869 posts) -

G. If the people are all there, it will probably work out in the end, but right now I am fucking terrified.

#44 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@BestUsernameEver said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Yeah, I feel bad for subscribers right now, talk about uncertainty.

We'll see when there's more concrete info available.

The money's paid already anyway, might as well pluck em for all they got right?
#45 Posted by konig_kei (622 posts) -

Turns out this was all a plot to fire Jeff again then he goes on to create giant bomb Poland.

#46 Edited by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -

A + B = D

Community is almost evenly divided. Down to the tenth of a point.

I guess if you throw in E, sentiment is negative.

#47 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Full blown A.

You certainly are.

#48 Posted by fox01313 (5074 posts) -

I believe that the GB crew would have backed out of this idea if it was going to cause a lot of drastically bad changes for the site & us the community of the site. For all those people freaking out & canceling memberships before even seeing GB & the crew running it after the move are just hideously overreacting (maybe in practice for the other ending this year thanks to the mayans).

#49 Posted by JauntyHat (324 posts) -

I'm legitimately concerned and confused.

#50 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Ragdrazi said:

A + B = D Community is almost evenly divided. Down to the tenth of a point. I guess if you throw in E, sentiment is negative.

wow, that's sad, 1/10 of the community right now is optimistic about this change.