BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#1  Edited By BeachThunder  Online

Personally:

• Computer (PC/Mac/Linux) - My personal preference; I suppose I just enjoy the vibe of PC games (the type of games, the customisation/freedom, mouse and keyboard, etc...)
  • Mobile (iOS/Android) - I don't have a smartphone and I don't have immediate plans to get one, but I am genuinely surprised by the recent popularity of phone games...
  • Handheld Console (3DS, Vita) - I've had almost every Nintendo handheld to date; personally, I like having the ability to play games wherever I want. So, having said that, maybe it is about time I stop being a fogey and invest in a smart phone.
  • Home Console (WiiU, PS3, 360) - Honestly, I've never seen much real value in home consoles; to me, home consoles just feel very restrictive.
  • Arcade - I think arcades are great in theory; but now, in 2013, they just come across as being way too inconvenient and unnecessarily expensive.

Anyway, what say you?

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By egg
  • PC - Computer is for doing stuff like posting on forum boards. I wouldn't sully the delicate sanctity of a computer with games. In fact I think releasing games for PC is actually irresponsible in a way since you're making impressionable young kids want to install them. NEWELL.
  • Mobile - A gaming connoisseur's dream in a way, what with so many games, and them all being cheap or free. For many games/genres (the ones that don't suffer much from lack of buttons and inputs) it's no worse than a handheld, so the only question is, where are all the core games?
  • Handheld - Replacement to consoles but mind you it never really happened before PSP.
  • Console - At this point good for only 2 things. Offline multiplayer, and motion controls. Anything else should kindly go to other platforms. EDIT: Except WiiU since it's technically usable as a handheld. (or so it is claimed)
  • Arcade - Very few good arcade games and most of them are dated crap by now. Also when you think about it, it seems awfully unpractical to have an entire machine dedicated to only one game. There were even Neo Geo cabinets that held multiple games, why not do that all the time? (or should I say, why didn't they do that all the time) Not that it matters now since arcades are gone and we have no particular reason to miss them. Well except for guns and steering wheels, come to think of it. Sure beats having to buy one yourself. (and by "having to buy one yourself" I of course mean "not buying one because it's not worth it")
loyalroyal1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By loyalroyal1989
  • PC - this is my favourite way to play games a lot of the good things about the wiiu that people have enjoyed have been on the pc for years and for me the ability to upgrade hardware means you will always be able to play games at there best.
  • Mobile - I don't really get it I love surfing the internet on my phone but I cant just get behind games on these systems as traditional games just don't work due to lack of controls.
  • Handheld - The sony handhelds have been a massive disappointment and since I brought a psp and the lack of games I just cant bring myself to get a vita. Love my 3ds even if the 3d is a bit rubbish due to being on a hand held and struggling to keep it still on the move.
  • Console - still the best way to play games on the big screen but with the work that valve are doing with steam could change this and maybe Microsoft if they allow integration of pc and xbox.
  • Arcade - DEAD!!!!!
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By WinterSnowblind
  • PC - Makes the most sense at the moment. It's relatively cheap to buy a decent machine these days that will massively outperform any of the current consoles, all new games are compatible with the 360 pad, HDMI cables allow you to play on your TV in your living room and Steam/sale prices of games are so cheap that you'll quickly offset the higher hardware price.
  • Mobile - I think tablets/phones are great for surfing the web and certain apps are crazy useful, but games tend to be nothing but 10 minute time wasters. There's a few I really enjoy, but nothing I'd consider to be of real value or comparable to a gaming experience on any other system.
  • Handhelds - I think with tablets/phones growing in popularity so much, it's only a matter of time before these are completely irrelevant. But we definitely haven't approached that point yet, there's nothing on iOS/Andoid that comes close to the experience of Pokemon or Monster Hunter and the ability to sit down and play these with friends in the same room, really makes the experience in a lot of cases. Games like Pokemon don't need to be handheld, but you'd lose a core part of the trading/multiplayer experience if they were shifted to a console.
  • Consoles - Have gradually become more and more redundant in my eyes, aside from a handful of exclusives. I don't look down on people who still prefer them, but there's really no advantage to playing a game on a console over the PC.
  • Arcade - Were never very big were I'm from and have never seemed at all important to me. I can see why the experience might have been fun for some, I guess, but they've long since outlasted their usefulness.
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

PC is best.
I don't care for mobile games.
Handhelds sound awesome but they don't seem to get much that I care about. My fault probably.
PS3 and 360 both have some good and bad points but if the next gen of those are like this gen, I'll stick with PC.
Nintendo, what the hell are you doing?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
  • PC: How did I accumulate this many games without spending a penny?
  • Wii: Holy shit. I'm still gonna be using you in 2013? Congrats!
  • Xbox 360: Keep doing what you're doing. It's clearly working.
  • 3DS: Look, I'll get around to Kid Icarus: Uprising once I've finished Metal Gear Solid 3D....and 999....and maybe Fire Emblem, depending on how long this all takes me.
  • PS3: Why haven't I bought you, yet? Laziness, I take it.
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By StarvingGamer

PC - Great for PC games: RTS, shooting, ARPG

Console - Great for console games: Action, Fighting, Platforming

Handheld - Great for handheld games; TRPG, Puzzle, Visual Novel

Mobile - Great for mobile games: Tower Defense, Kairosoft, DCG's

Arcade - Great for arcade games: Dancing, Light Gun

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#8  Edited By pyromagnestir
  • PC - I hate the keyboard for games that make you use wasd for movement. Hate it. I prefer an analog stick by a mile. So no pc shooters for me, thank you very much. I don't give a shit how much more accurate the mouse is at aiming, I want a fucking stick to move! But a strategy game or rpg that primarily uses mouse along with key commands or something else along those lines is fine be me. And since my main computer is a laptop I can take it with me and use it as a mobile console of sorts to play games wherever and whenever I want. And Steam sales! And bundles! PC is easily the most bang for your buck at the moment.
  • Mobile - Drains my battery far too quickly for reliable on the go gaming. But it's a nice thing to have when I'm watching a football or baseball game and need something to distract me during commercials.
  • Handheld - I gave up on handhelds during the GBA era, as I found I mostly played them while lying in bed, when I'd much prefer to be able to play the better games that are available for them on my tv. And the simpler games they offered are now phone games. But since Fire Emblem games only come out on handhelds now I'll likely get my hands on the newer ones at some point just for them.
  • Home consoles - I own all of them for the exclusives that they have but I'm starting to lose interest in them. There are fewer exclusives and they have been less interesting games to me recently. Everything seems to come out on everything else if you wait long enough, and games stay much more expensive to buy on console, plus consoles break too frequently nowadays.
  • Arcade - I went to Funspot quite a few times as a kid but it was just a fun distraction for me, nothing more. Something that sounded like it was more fun than it ever actually was. I grew up with consoles in my house, you know? The days of arcades were the days of yore.
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By AndrewB

@BeachThunder said:

Anyway, what say you?

Computer: I spent $400 on a graphics card for a reason, damn it!

Mobile: I don't...

Handheld Console: All of them have laid dormant since finishing Virtue's Last Reward and I really need to get back to playing Pokemon White 2. I still love handhelds for the unique games that don't generally work on a full console or with the limited control set from your standard phone. Most of my handheld gaming is done while loafing around the home in various locations I wouldn't normally have a TV or monitor in (I don't have a TV in my bedroom, for example, and my laptop is not really game-capable).

Home Console: Uhm, I haven't turned on a home console for more than a few minutes since Mass Effect 3 for the 360 last year. Most of the types of games I enjoy are either PC-only or just better on PC. Actually, at this point there's no such thing as a console game that isn't better on PC. I'll surely buy the next Microsoft console if there's signs of games backing it, or the next Sony console if not, but I'll do so only because of the stupid exclusives and not because I wouldn't prefer to play them on an upgraded PC.

Arcade: Man.... Double Dragon was pretty sweet. Made you forget you were in a stinky bowling alley. I prefer the NES version though. Bimmy and Jimmy!

Evercaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Evercaptor
  • Computer (PC/Mac/Linux) I think my PC is boss, it's why I bought one; but my social network isn't there and there's no guarantee that when I buy something it will play well or even at all.
  • Mobile (iOS/Android) It's hard to make an app feel anything other than throwaway and so I can't ever justify an expenditure greater than £2. It's probably because my usage of the games is 10 minutes on the toilet and waiting for a train (up to fifteen minutes).
  • Handheld Console (3DS, Vita) I like my 3DS, it's pretty fun, but I have to be REALLY in the mood to play it. The best part is that when I am in the mood, I can play it almost anywhere.
  • Home Console (WiiU, PS3, 360) I like em, by which I mean I like my 360. When I put in a disc, it plays either immediately or near enough to. I appreciate that.
  • Arcade What's an arcade? You mean that place down at New Brighton with the air hockey, the time crisis and laser tag attached to the bowling alley? Or do you mean the penny gambling machines?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Seppli
    • All Gaming Platforms in General - Fuck yes, games!
    • 360 - Fuck Gold Subscription!
    • PS3 - Fuck Sub-Standard Download Speeds & *Daily OS Updates *hyperbole
    • Wii - Fuck Extremely Oudated Hardware
    • WiiU - Fuck Outdated Current Gen Console
    • Mobile Devies - Fucking Commuting Peasants Hardware
    • PC - Fuck Cheater Scum and Shoddy Optimization
    • Arcade - Fuck beating a Dead Horse or something...

In short. Games are awesome. Circumstances are often not. Overall - fucks were given. Nobody else cares. Whatever.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By BaneFireLord

PC - great for just about every genre, with the possible exception of 3rd person character action games and fighting games (using a controller makes that problem disappear)

XBOX - Gold subscription is bullshit. Ads are bullshit. But I love me some achievements and that controller is wonderful.

PS3 - Dualshock 3 SUCKS (those stupid sticks make my knuckles knock together).

Wii - Motion controls SUCK. Ugly, too.

WiiU- Stupid name.

Mobile Devices - great for turn-based strategy games, great for casual games, great for revisiting ports of older games, but terrible in terms of precision controls.

Arcade - lolwut?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Hizang
    • Console - I play the most games here, I have my whole life and don't intend to change. Sure consoles are slowly becoming irrelevant, I still love them and is the best option I have for video games.
    • iMac - I don't know why I got a Mac, I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to save £400 and get a awesome PC that plays actual games. The iMac games selection is slim, but hey it plays MineCraft so thats alright.
    • Handheld - I rarely play handhelds, now I have my iPad/iPhone I play them less. I have a 3DSXL and have hardly touched it, for me to play on a handheld the game has to be REALLY good.
    • iPhone/iPad - I don't really play games on my iPad, thats more for watching media. But I play on my iPhone a little when I'm out waiting for something.
    • Arcade - Sorry whats an Arcade?
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

PC is king!

People need to stop bitching about paying 4 dollars a month on Gold and grow the fuck up!

That's about it.

EDIT: Actually, I have a thought on the WiiU. I totally called the name. I'm a genius, and I hate myself for it. Such a dumb name but I saw it coming. Ugh.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cold_Wolven
    • PC-Great when games work and hell when they don't. Steam is the best thing to ever happen to that platform and bleeds my wallet whenever the sales start.
    • Xbox 360-Great for shooters and racing games with its controller and 3rd party games tend to work that bit better on them.
    • PS3-Awesome first party lineup but some 3rd party games lack. The controller needs to have better triggers much like the 360's.
    • Wii-Wiimote is so frustrating when buttons could clearly do the better but the main first party games are pretty good.
    • 3DS-Games are good but my interest in handheld gaming as a whole isn't what it use to be 12 years ago.
    ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaggE

PC - What I grew up on; my primary platform.

Mobile - More fun to dick around with than get truly serious about. Some great games, though.

Handheld - I don't own one, but I do want a 3DS.

Consoles - Perfectly fine, no matter what elitists say. And sometimes you just want to put a disc in and play.

Arcade - Fuck, I miss arcades. Especially since I'm kind of obsessed with pinball lately.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• PC: Haven't invested in one yet and probably won't until the next gen consoles have reached their peak.
    • Mobile: The fastest growing market in gaming and the platform to which I plan to make games for.
    • Handhelds: Meh. Handheld gaming has kind of lost it's touch with me. I like my 3DS and everything but there isn't shit to play on it. (Well for now.)
    • Consoles: Still my source for gaming. PC elitists can laugh all they want.
    • Arcades: Are these even prevalent anymore? No? Okay.
    myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By myniceicelife
    • Computer (PC/Mac/Linux) - My main platform for playing games. Requires more knowledge to pay games then on a console and more expensive, but allows for better graphics and stuff you might not see on a console ie Civilization :)
    • Mobile (iOS/Android) - My iOS device is an iPod Touch, not a phone, so it ends up being a little more mobile of a device then something like a 3DS or Vita. I have a few actual games on it (TWEWY and Infinity Blade) but most of it is just stuff that I can mess around with for a few minutes or just listen to music/watch a movie if I'm bored and away from home.
    • Handheld Console (3DS, Vita) - My 3DS is mostly a paperweight, but the Vita has Persona 4 Golden, which makes it the best device I own. I'm half joking with that last bit.
    • Home Console (WiiU, PS3, 360) - I like consoles, I like a lot of the games on consoles, I just don't like playing online on consoles.
    • Arcade - Arcades were fun a long time ago, but not really practical these days in the states at least, mainly because of how expensive they've become. Wasn't too bad when it was just quarters gets you into the game, but sadly those days are long gone.
    coilcloudvaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By coilcloudvaper

- ALL platforms

They are all fucking video games

taking up time and taking our minds off the fact that we are all going to die on day.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Vexxan
    • PC is probably my favorite way to play games. Pretty graphics and awesome load times are great. Though I still use a 360 controller whenever possible, love that thing.
    • Mobile is okay I guess, I only care about games I can pick up for a few minutes and then put down. I feel like I don't want to put too much effort into those games.
    • Handhelds are not really for me, I rarely travel so I don't feel the need to get one. It's kind of nice to put down the games for a while and just do something else.
    • Consoles have a bunch of exclusives I want to play so I tend to own at least one every generation.
    • BONUS: Dumbass Android platforms: Stop using the Android brand like it signifies quality games, because it doesn't. Go away with your shit tier games.
    Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bane122

PC - mostly for games that consoles can't do well like mmos and the upcoming Simcity, and exclusives like Hotline Miami. Also handy for getting an older game dirt cheap sometimes.

Mobile - lots of garbage but some really great gems scattered about. Kairosoft rules this space for me.

Handheld - doomed but still kicking for now. For the most part, I don't want console experiences on them, I want more unique games like Ghost Trick, Push/Crashmo, and Theatrythym.

Console - the platform I use most. The best exclusives. Can co-exist perfectly fine with PC despite what many think and, like PC, has its pros and cons.

Arcade - fun to play on my emulator.

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HeyImPhoenix

Me next!

• Computer (PC/Mac/Linux) - More to do with RPG's like Skyrim, simulators like The Sims and RTS games!
    • Mobile (iOS/Android) - Games to play in university lectures.
    • Handheld Console (3DS, Vita) - Games to play when going on a trip such as Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing.
    • Home Console (WiiU, PS3, 360) - Story driven games with co-op, always with co-op like Resident Evil 6.
    • Arcade - Games to play when camping with friends! Nip into an arcade for an hour and have fun!
    DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By DeathByWaffle

PC: I enjoy PC gaming when it works out well, but often times there will be some bug or error that I don't know how to fix, and I am not quite computer savvy enough to deal with myself. This hasn't really happened in a while, but I remember having a ton of issues with the first Fallout 3 DLC on PC (which is a shame, because I had one of my best experiences this generation playing the main game on PC, even though it would always crash the first time I started it).

Mobile: I don't play many mobile games. I had Cut the Rope on my phone at one point and that was fun, I have Canabalt and that's cool. Other than that though, nothing.

Handhelds: I loved handhelds when I was a kid. Had a Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, SP, and DS. By the time the DS came out I was at the tail end of my handheld enjoyment. I remember some games fondly that I played on the DS, but I stopped caring pretty quick.

Home console: I do the majority of my gaming here (though I have played more PC games in the recent years), primarily on the 360. I have a PS3 and a handful of exclusives for it that I love (Heavy Rain, Infamous, Valkyria Chronicles, Uncharted 2, etc), but that is it. I just found out the other day that my Blu Ray player on my PS3 is broken, so I don't know what to do with that (as I don't want to really buy a new PS3 this late in the generation, even a refurbished one). This is quite the dilemma, as two of my most looked forward to games of this year are PS3 exclusives (Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls).

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WasabiCurry

PC: I made the big switch to never again play a less superior console version of a game. It is my gaming platform of choice and my google-fu has become much stronger because of it. Certainly there are issues that arise such as the Saint Rows The Third with its red artifacts. That is why PC Gaming Wiki is here to save us as well as provide additional performance boosts. I not only traded consoles, but my friends. They see the vast improvement over consoles, yet they are contempt for where they stay. For that, I am always happy to play with them on the 360 or PS3, but I will not shed a tear when I game alone on my PC.

Mobile: You were cute when I had time to blow off 15 minutes before class. But to simply put, you offer nothing in terms of core games.

Handhelds: As a kid, they were simply the best thing next to sliced bread. Many hours were spent playing Pokemon, Mario And Luigi: SuperStar Saga, and many other rpg's. However, I feel that Nintendo has turned handhelds into a gimmick market with the 3DS and the lack of titles that interest me are few and far between.

Consoles: During my youth, you literally consumed my day and night. Summer days were spent playing the N64, Playstation, GameCube, Xbox, Playstation 2, Wii, and 360. I will not forget the memories that you gave me. They were fun while they lasted, but you offer no exclusives that I am interested and the age is very apparent when compared to my PC. I will not buy the next generation of consoles and some will not either. You do make a pretty good DVD player though...

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rafaelfc

@StarvingGamer said:

PC - Great for PC games: RTS, shooting, ARPG

Console - Great for console games: Action, Fighting, Platforming

Handheld - Great for handheld games; TRPG, Puzzle, Visual Novel

Mobile - Great for mobile games: Tower Defense, Kairosoft, DCG's

Arcade - Great for arcade games: Dancing, Light Gun

Couldn't agree more! There's a place for everything kids, you don't need the ridiculous fighting over "this is better than that and yadda yadda yadda..."

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bell_End

PC - Where i do most of my gaming and always have and most likely always will

Consoles - I still have a PS3 but if it was to break i would not replace just as i didn't replace my 360.

Mobile - I like games on my iphone but no all of them. i can't play ANYTHING with virtual stick or controls. luckily there are plently of great games that use touch control to great effect and i alway seem to have something new to play. even if it just for an hour or 2. bubble gum gaming. and i LOVE bubble gum.

Handhelds - Don't really see the point of the vita it seems to be trying so hard to be something people just don't want anymore. plus it to big. i think i will get a 3DS at some point though.

TheFreepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheFreepie
    • Computer (PC/Mac/Linux) - The one I've been using for the past couple of years and in my opinion the superior. M+KB all the way.
    • Mobile (iOS/Android) - Mobile games are made for wasting time, they aren't really games but they succeed and what they're meant to do.
    • Handheld Console (3DS, Vita) - I played a lot of Gameboy Advanced but lost interest after the DS. Partly because following the initial DS release most of the games being produced just focused on the double screen gimmick rather than making the game itself enjoyable. I lost the need to use a handheld since I had a perfectly capable console and never left the house.
    • Home Console (WiiU, PS3, 360) - I played 360 for a while.Much cheaper and easier to maintain than a PC (less devices you end up breaking) and there are many console exclusives that have almost been enough to make me go back.
    • Arcade - In the modern age, Arcades are total rip-offs. You literally get 5 minutes of a mediocre repetitive game for a £1. Yet I still play them and quite frequently love them. Hmm.
    Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Synaptic

Computer (PC/Mac/Linux) - Great platform for games, but purchasing a new computer every few years to keep up with modern graphics is expensive.

Mobile (iOS/Android) - Really good for small, contained, polished experiences like Doodle Jump and also games like Puzzle Quest with a bit more depth to them.

Handheld Console (3DS, Vita) - Sadly, too expensive for me to consider buying nowadays. I'd rather get a full fledged console, but man was the GameBoy fun. I played til the end of the Gameboy Color. (Pokemon Gold was my favorite)

Home Console (WiiU, PS3, 360) - PS3 and 360 have some really great games, but a lot of the experiences I've enjoyed most on them are downloadable games.

Arcade - Way too expensive. Not viable in the modern era, people want more bang for their buck.