• 175 results
Avatar image for randomcharachter
randomcharachter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

A few weeks ago I bought Project X Zone for my 3DS and it sucks hard.

Why?

-Story was so basic that a 8 year old can easily come up with

-Too much unnecessary characters

-Gameplay sucks you just have 4-6 moves thats what you will be using in the entire game and there is no such thing as weapons, armors that you use to increase your stats or special abilities just a few moves.

So after this I created this thread to see if your latest let down

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Battlefield 4, was just bored the entire time and one of the things I remember hearing and reading about the game was the story was pretty good this time around...I don't remember 3 that well but I didn't hate that story like I do with 4.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Chop

Bravely Default

Only made it a couple hours in before I realized I can only handle that kind of jrpg if it has heavy nostalgia backing it.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably InFamous Second Son even though I never really had high hopes to begin with.

- Took me like 12 hours to not only beat the game, but 100 percent it
- Bad story
- Almost all of the side stuff is just repetitive work
- For a super hero, I sure can't take a whole lot of damage before my whole screen going ugly and having to hide in the corner for a while (why in the hell is this a popular thing to have in your video game?)

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I don't have these anymore to be honest. I've gotten pretty good in being able to tell if something is for me or not.

I guess... Endless Space? I thought that game was for me, but I haven't been able to play it for more than 2 hours. There is something about that game that makes me feel empty inside. Maybe because it projects such a huge scope, but you don't see any living things whatsoever. While I really enjoy Civilization, this is also an issue I have with it. You're talking about massive civilizations that barter or wage war with each other, yet there is so few life to be seen. Say what you will about Rise of Nations, but at least that game showed some more life. Each building had a couple of people working in it that you could see working, instead of seeing a head-symbol on a spreadsheet to indicate they are there. Each tile that was being worked, you saw someone working it.

But I still love Civilization regardless.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Ni No Kuni. Other them the art style I disliked everything else. Oh, and Drippy. He was cool. But the main character was a whiny, indecisive little brat, the story was boring, the loop of 'visit town, find new mushy crap spell about emotion to proceed, grind, fight boss' was tedious, the writing was way too fucking mushy, and the combat was dull.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steadyingmeat said:

Probably InFamous Second Son even though I never really had high hopes to begin with.

- Bad story

- For a super hero, I sure can't take a whole lot of damage before my whole screen going ugly and having to hide in the corner for a while (why in the hell is this a popular thing to have in your video game?)

Reasons like this are why I didn't particularly care for the first Infamous. Team Prototype Unite!

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Probably the Metal Gear Series as a whole, long story short, I thought the new game looked really interesting and so went and gathered up a few of the old ones and played through a few of them and the ones I didn't buy I found Youtube videos of all of their story moments and I wound up really hating the story and characters and dialogue in those games, the gameplay was alright but not enough to keep me going. I still think the new ones look interesting but have gone from a "buy when new" to a "wait 5 years and buy when 5 bucks in the bargain bin" now for me.

And just before that, the new Pokemon game, my nostalgia lead my astray on that, they are for a much younger audience then I.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Brink. After Brink, I learned to never get hyped for a game again.

seveword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Bioshock Infinite last month for the first time, and once everything was said and done I realized I wasn't a fan of it as I was the first Bioshock. It showed promise early on, but I began to lose interest as the game circled in on itself more and more. I felt that the topics and themes that they explored were much less interesting to me personally than the ones in Bioshock, plus I had no personal connection to Elizabeth, her ideals, or actions, so half the game was an exercise in "ehhhh, whatever lady." It's not a bad game, but it's not a game for me, and with all the hype surrounding it I guess I got my hopes up a bit, which I should know not to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Ever since last year I've had to reduce my game purchases to almost nothing, so there's very few major purchases anymore. The last two games I bought new were South Park: The Stick of Truth in March, and Grand Theft Auto 5 in September.

I suppose the answer would be Shadowrun Returns. It's alright, but I was hoping for something better than alright.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had so much fun with the first half of Killzone Shadowfall, but wow did that second half just ruin the game for me.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

The last one of note that I can think of was when I made the foolish decision to disregard Alex's 3-star review of The Cave without actually reading WHY he docked those 2 stars. It turns out he specifically listed almost every problem I had with that game (and there were several).

I'm sorry I doubted you, Navarro.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Faction 2 was pretty awful.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Last of Us. Great dialogue, good characters and story, but I can't get into the combat. Well, I do get into the stealth bits but the game keeps making me participate in action set pieces that take me out of it.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

Ni No Kuni. Other them the art style I disliked everything else. Oh, and Drippy. He was cool. But the main character was a whiny, indecisive little brat, the story was boring, the loop of 'visit town, find new mushy crap spell about emotion to proceed, grind, fight boss' was tedious, the writing was way too fucking mushy, and the combat was dull.

As much as it makes me feel like a shitty person, I agree totally. The game looks beautiful most of the time. But fuck is it tedious. I got to the third town, I think, before I caved in. I just don't have the patience to deal with horribly dense main characters. Especially in games that cross the twenty hour mark. Can't do it.

Fable Anniversary was probably my most recent disappointment. I've written about that plenty, so I won't harp on it. I will say that the disappointment stung all the worse because of my fond memories for the game. I'm trying to decide now whether it's the god awful port or if the game was actually always terrible.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubberbabybuggybumpers: I had fun with it + messing around with the AI bot matches. Did get it for 5 bucks several years after the fact though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

I might get shit for saying this but... Man... Dark Souls II. Dark Souls kicked my ass often but I never felt like I didn't earn those beatings. When I got my bearings, figuring out attack patterns/animations, I could take on any enemy or boss. Dark Souls II made me feel so weak and powerless, from the tough beginning to the bitter end. No matter what play style I tried, I got my ass handed to me on a platter, and it often didn't feel like a fair defeat. There are too many instances of multiple enemies ganging up on you, and certain bosses are just too tough to take on alone. Sure, there is an in-game mechanic to deal with tough enemies and bosses, summoning, but needing to use it so often cheapened the overall game experience for me.

Dark Souls remains my favorite of the series, followed by Demon's Souls, with Dark Souls II struggling to keep up at the rear. It pains to me to say so--I really wanted to love this sequel--but there it is...

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HerbieBug

I was secretly sorta hoping that that new Ninja Gaiden game wouldn't be bad. :(

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Remember Me was a let down. I really wanted to like it, and I did like some of the world design quite a lot. But the game parts were bad. The main fighting game mechanics were sloppy - camera and combo timings were so bad.

The jumping and climbing was uninspired, uninteresting, and had arbitrary rules & pass/fail areas. Not so bad, because that's pretty much the same as Uncharted, right? Unfortunately, just like uncharted, they put in collectibles. These collectables determined your max health in the fighting game! You can't hide collectibles in a world where the world traversal rules are arbitrary and random.

It had a pretty strong intro segment and some neat gimmicks, and REALLY nice scenery. But man, what a let-down when it came to playing the game.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By falserelic

Thief.

Couldn't finish it I found it to be too boring. I ended up trading it in and putting it towards Ground Zeroes. Though Ground Zeroes on the other hand was fun, it was over before you know it. Kojima only gave people a piece just a taste because he knew nobody couldn't handle the whole thing.

P.S Yes I know the game is still in production, I'm just kidding.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

The Last of Us, and no, I'm not some kind of goddamned hipster. It just never really clicked for me, though I can certainly appreciate why other people would like it. It's very well presented, but the gameplay never did anything for me from start to finish.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Steadying

@sparky_buzzsaw: I thought it was too easy unless you played on Survivor or whatever it was called (which isn't even unlocked until you beat the game once), the entire first act of the game was just bad, and the amount of time skips the story goes through really ruined that aspect of the game for me too, so I'm with you. It's a shame, because I was sooooooo excited to play it when I got it.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't remember, GTA V was awesome The Last of Us was one of the best games i've ever played and recently finished Beyond good and Evil HD and loved that one too.

I guess i only buy games i'm sure i'll like,

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I separate GTAV from GTA online? GTAV was excellent, multiplayer sucked.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King

NiGHTS into Dreams.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#27 fisk0  Moderator

Zombie Tycoon 2, I guess. I've been hoping for an RTS on the Vita for quite a while, and while I heard Zombie Tycoon wasn't great, it was said to be an actual RTS. Turned out it was neither, there was no large scale control of units, and the game didn't even utilize the two touch screens the Vita has, instead using the analog sticks to move a pointer around, which was pretty ridiculous.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

GTAV

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xyzygy

I'm really not good at this because I feel I can accept a lot of games for what they are. What I can remember from the past few years though is Skyrim. I absolutely loathed everything they changed from the older titles. Everything was way too streamlined. The Major and Minor system was gone, meaning you can be every class in the game, meaning the entire point of variation and characters was put solely on an RP level. I know it's a RPG, but come on. You know what I mean.

The worst part about Skyrim for me was the items. Bethesda seriously skimped on Items this time around, there were no really awesome, badass items and too little variations between the armor and weapon types. Too many times I found myself at the end of a massive cave, just exploring, and having absolutely nothing to show for it. It sucked all the fun out of the game. It just wasn't rewarding to play, and I have no idea why it gets praised so much. Morrowind and even Oblivion were much better.

@steadyingmeat said:

- Bad story

It's sad to me that Suckerpunch doesn't change this about their games. They're short, uninteresting, and the enemies will snipe you with assault rifles from buildings away, forcing you to flee and hide. It really doesn't make you feel like a superhero at all. The best thing they have going for it is the really tight controls. Haven't played SS but the first two have a really great feel to it.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amnesia 2: Forget Harder. (I'll never get tired of coming up with dumb names for that game)

It was a really cool little game, but it wasn't Amnesia. I still can't mention it without audibly sighing and imagining what could have been.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked up an Xbox One last week on the cheap and I was looking forward to playing Dead Rising 3 but I'm really not enjoying it as much as the previous games.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By csl316

I expected Infamous to be great, but it's merely good.

It also took several steps back in the combat design department, in my opinion (mainly due to the lack of enemy variety and smaller scale encounters compared to part 2).

But my biggest disappointment this year was Dustforce. I couldn't stand the way it played and stopped after 15 minutes.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#33  Edited By Yummylee

I wasn't really let down by it as I was already well aware of its reputation and went in with a specific expectation, but... Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a New World, y'all.Just. Fuck.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I really do hate to be that guy, but...Gone Home. Just fell absolutely flat for me, and left me with a pretty awful taste in my mouth. I respect that it exists, but I felt that it categorically failed to live up to the hype. It's meditative and considered in parts and utterly juvenile and manipulative in others, and it's one of those games that relies too much on nostalgia - Gone Home was a profoundly less meaningful experience for me because I was a young kid in the 90s and I'm from the UK, whereas Gone Home is all about being an American teenager/pre-teen.

I was also pretty bummed out by my inability to enjoy Luigi's Mansion 2. Man, that game looks great and is super charming, but playing it was an absolute drag for me. And I was also let down by The Last of Us, but only because it turned to be an awesome game, instead of the best game of the generation like it had been hyped up. I'm pretty anti-hype in general these days, with some exceptions (BioShock Infinite, Skyrim, Papers, Please, Stanley Parable...).

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infamous Second Son.

One of the worst Open Worlds i can remember, nothing about it was memorable. After i beat AC 2 and Brotherhood i still spent hours in the world just looking at stuff, same can be said for GTA 5 and Skyrim. For how short the game felt Second Son could have used a better or more unique world.

Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

South Park the stick of truth.

The game just felt to easy by the end so I just din't enjoy the combat. Also not enough fun in the side-quest and I really dint enjoy how many references in there vs original South Park Humor with the exception of the Canadian level.

TheFakePsychic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 18

I got Thomas was Alone through PS+ and outside of the fact that I really enjoy the voice of the British guy from Assassin's Creed, that game is just... unremarkable in just about every possible way, paunfully cloying, and incredibly tedious.

Before that was Tomb Raider, for... also being incredibly unremarkable and tedious.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Stanley Parable

Honestly I don't know what they could have done better. Maybe too much narration and witnessing crazy things, without getting to actually do most of the crazy things? I really can't put my finger on exactly why, it just didn't grip me like I thought it would.

I think it is one those games that maybe released past the zeitgeist of when it would have been huge. 5-6 years ago? The Stanley parable would have been absolutely amazing.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atlas: thanks for reminding me about how disappointed I was with Luigi's mansion dark moon, didn't enjoy it all that much after the first mansion and then that difficulty spike on the second to last level made me rage quit in the worst possible way.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sdharrison

Lot of hate for Infamous. I just finished a long session with it and had a blast. And Dark Sous II is legendary.

But I agree, Skyrim is garbage with 20/20 vision. I really hope a different studio challenges Bethesda in the open world single player RPG genre.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I guess South Park. It was fine, but I was hoping for more. Nothing in it really made me laugh. At best it got a smirk out of me. Though I hadn't watched South Park in many many years outside of catching the off episode here and there. So maybe if I had of caught up with the show I would have seen more references that would have made it funny.

But thankfully I have hundreds of games in my back log to disappoint me next! Just gotta get motivated to play them.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: I also had fun with the AI bots. The other thing I really liked were the vaporized bodies upon being blasted by a rocket or some other large gun. I had quite a bit of fun turning bots into chunks of meat.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Guacamelee!

I really enjoyed the visuals and the atmosphere, but the game gets pretty hard really fast. I got stuck on the X'Tabay boss fight. After a handful attempts I was too frustrated to continue and stopped playing. (I'm just trying to relax after a hard day's work, I don't want to be challenged -- games should have easier casual modes! :)

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ground Zeroes. Extremely short, and Big Boss was basically a silent protagonist.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say this a lot, but Borderlands 2 is one of my biggest let downs ever. I just can't hate that game enough. That broken ass loot system is just unforgivable.

Lightning Returns is the most recent one. I loved the first two XIII games, but Lightning Returns had too many mild to moderate problems that all accumulated into that abomination of a game. I wanted to like the game so much, too, but nearly everything about it pissed me off. And just so I'm clear, the time limit really isn't a problem for me until it is combined with other aspects of the game. Then that, along with a plethora of other problems, transforms it into intolerable garbage. Oh yeah, I also finished the game and clocked in at about 50 hours, so it's not like I played it for 10 minutes. I finished it to I never have to touch it again, and because I don't like leaving games unfinished.

Bobbyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the last time I've been disappointed with a game was when I finished Mass Effect 3 and Assassins Creed 3. Man, 2012 was a bummer year for me

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

Amnesia 2: Forget Harder. (I'll never get tired of coming up with dumb names for that game)

It was a really cool little game, but it wasn't Amnesia. I still can't mention it without audibly sighing and imagining what could have been.

Oh man, I completely forgot about this game. I completely agree.

I went in expecting more and BETTER of the first game, what I got was Dear Esther 2 instead... DAMN what a disappointing game! Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is such a cool title too, and I was just expecting so much from it, so when I beat it three hours later, not having any of the "OH SHIT" moments from the first one, I was completely let down. I won't say it's a bad game, but it's not really fun to play at all. The story was interesting, and the voice acting was pretty fantastic - with the bad duder's monologue at the end being one of my favorite villainous breakdown speeches ever, but man that doesn't really do much to make up for how disappointed I was.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45: On the bright side, it did give us this:

Loading Video...

*shudders* Even out of context, this song makes my muscles tighten in anticipation of something horrible. Man, if the rest of the game had been like that moment, it would have gone down as an absolute masterpiece.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Fallout 3. I feel as though the developers must have gone out of their way to make the game glitchy and unstable - how else could it have ended up that broken?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

NBA 2K14 Next Gen Edition: Virtual Currency overload to the point anything interesting about the single player modes is treated like a cellphone game and completely devalued, menus that might as well have been lifted from a game in 2003, every corner of the game relying on cloud saves rendering you unable to play your franchise/superstar/whatever saves whenever their online servers go down (an almost monthly occurrence), and gameplay lag online that makes an otherwise super satisfying experience rely on the luck of random dice rolls...that game was the only reason I bought a PS4 a month before inFamous came out and I waited four months without the PS3 version just to savor the "best" version...and I've barely played it. I almost returned it before the online at least roped me back in. But I'm worried about the future of that franchise.

Brothers: Downloaded from PS+, played an hour or so and promptly deleted it. The gameplay was dull, the graphics were unappealing to me and I didn't like how they were attempting to handle story. For all the hype it got - and how much I tend to get low key games like Journey or Shadow of the Colossus - I was super disappointed that it was just a dumb $15 game.

Max Payne 3: Incredible first two hours but once they start really throwing enemies at you it just wasn't for me. I ended up playing much of this game like a cover-based shooter and only using the bullet time for dives, which I often ended up stumbling into a counter, desk or wall and losing the bullet time/being vulnerable in an extended recovery animation. It was fun to beat but I typically binge-play games over a single week/weekend until they're done, but that game was a three month journey for me.

Saints Row the 3rd: When this came to Playstation Plus I was super excited to finally play this game Ryan and Jeff loved so much, but a weird thing happened where, like all other open world games that aren't GTA (I'm looking at you, Sleeping Dogs) but very clearly admire GTA I just felt like I was playing a bootleg version of the thing I was looking for. I also didn't find the first couple hours particularly funny, or the vehicles fun to drive or the shooting fun to shoot. At least it inspired me to finally buy Episodes from Liberty City to psyche up for GTA V.