• 174 results
#101 Edited by Giantstalker (1626 posts) -

I still experience a flickering of inconsolable rage when I think of Dragon Age II.

Realizing what that game was, compared to the first, was just so sad. After a grim three hours, I put it down and never looked back.

#102 Posted by Grillbar (1813 posts) -

@sparky_buzzsaw:
no your not some kind of hipster for not liking the last of us, your just either mentally deranged or some kind of xbox chill that never even played the game and just want to hurt the game and sony reputaion, and a major fan boy and your whats wrong with everything in this world.
and im clearly not being serious. just had to do it
but to be honest i loved that game but i can totally get why some would not. or that the combat or controls did not click with them

#103 Posted by AdequatelyPrepared (397 posts) -

After finishing Part 2 of the Bioshock DLC and seeing how everything comes full circle with the original, I figured I'd go back and play the original again. It's still an incredibly atmospheric game with a wonderful story but maaaan, I don't remember the combat being such a chore the first time I played through it.

Become a Wrench Ninja. Wreck face, enjoy atmosphere. I forgot how much I enjoyed McDonagh's character.
I'm doing the same myself after playing the DLC, only took me an hour of searching to figure out how to make the game able to handle audio from more than 3 sources at once without freaking out.

#104 Posted by xXHesekielXx (242 posts) -

antichamber, brothers and max payne 3!

#105 Posted by Savage (321 posts) -

Rise of the Triad. I like 90's singleplayer FPS quite a bit, and never played the original ROTT. After hearing positive reactions to the reboot, I expected to have fun with it, but I found none of what I enjoy about those kinds of games in it. The weapons felt weak, the enemies were ordinary without big exaggerated death animations, the sound effects and music weren't memorable, the cutscenes managed to be worse than a scrolling text screen, the level layouts were either too empty and stretched out or too gimmicky with lots of platforming and jump pads rather than being tight mazes focused on nonstop combat encounters, and there wasn't significant resource management of ammo and powerups to encourage efficiency or variety in combat. The game just fell completely flat for me.

#106 Posted by LackingSaint (1787 posts) -

I played Betrayer for most of a night, was really enjoying it, praising it on my Twitter and whatnot, was shaping up to be a highlight of the year so far.

Then I played it the next day, having just reached the second zone, and it all went to shit. Frustrating forced stealth sections, enemies that see you from miles away and run back and forth shooting at you, just all of the quiet atmosphere and mystery was sucked out in an instant. It went in the complete opposite direction I thought it was going to go, and that bummed me out.

#107 Posted by dudeglove (7751 posts) -

@tyrrael said:

@

@adequatelyprepared said:

@tourgen said:

Remember Me was a let down. I really wanted to like it, and I did like some of the world design quite a lot. But the game parts were bad. The main fighting game mechanics were sloppy - camera and combo timings were so bad.

The jumping and climbing was uninspired, uninteresting, and had arbitrary rules & pass/fail areas. Not so bad, because that's pretty much the same as Uncharted, right? Unfortunately, just like uncharted, they put in collectibles. These collectables determined your max health in the fighting game! You can't hide collectibles in a world where the world traversal rules are arbitrary and random.

It had a pretty strong intro segment and some neat gimmicks, and REALLY nice scenery. But man, what a let-down when it came to playing the game.

It's a crappy experience playing Remember Me, because you can clearly tell that a lot of soul went into it. The design and sci-fi aesthetic all looked really great and original, and the soundtrack, especially with how it reacted to your actions in combat, matched it perfectly. It's gameplay just let it down in such a way that parts of it weren't crappy enough to be remembered (a la Deadly Premonition), and it was instead doomed to an even worse fate; being perceived as mediocre. I would recommend it to anyone if its on sale and they want something fresh and original though.

@tyrrael I agree with BL2, I was pretty heavily into it until I realised four things:

A. Starting a new game to try out a new class, especially as someone who has already got a lvl 50+ character, just forces everyone into this annoying as hell tutorial slog, and it takes ages for loot to actually be all types of equipment.

B. UVH mode in SP is just ridiculous in certain scenarios. Heard that with 4 players its easy, single player is a nightmare. Also, no matter what equipment or loadout, especially in UVH, you just never really feel powerful, its bizarre.

C. Why is good loot (especially legendaries), such a chore to find? Why can't I buy good loot? That seems a good way to alleviate frustrations for those who hoard money instead (I know that shops sell high level loot occasionally, but its nowhere near consistent)

D. I realise that BL2 can be up to 4-players, but man are some environments just unnecessarily big. This is especially true if there just happens to be a quest giver and acceptor on the opposite side of a map from where you can teleport in, and there is a map-filling-worth amount of guys between you and it. Just makes it a slog.

Your POV on BL2 so closely resembles mine that it could have been me who wrote this.

A) It's annoying how all the different types of guns didn't start to show up for me regularly for at least 20-30 hours. I didn't even see SMGs and rocket launchers in what seemed like forever.

B) I never felt like I was adequately equipped to handle the enemies the game was throwing at me. I always felt like I was just scraping by by the skin of my teeth. Also, I'm convinced there is no coding in this game that involves scaling the enemies to the number of people that are playing. I either hear people say that its too hard when playing SP (like I did), or too easy when playing MP, even you have just 1 more person.

C) This was never a problem in the first game. I have no idea why they changed it, nor how they could screw it up this bad. I got legendaries at regular intervals in the first game, and they were normally very good, if not great. I also regularly used the shops in the first BL. There was a good mix of drops from enemies, rewards for quests, and items for sale in the shops. The shops in BL2 are useless. I was still getting level 7 gear at level 20. By the time the shops updated, I was still only seeing high teen to low 20s gear when I was in the high 20s and low 30s.

D) I realized just how much I hated this game when I got to the area where you do the missions for Lilith. Having to go back and forth across that map a half dozen times was infuriating. I haven't played it in a long time, but if I remember correctly, you couldn't just run from one end to the other. You had to take certain paths, because it was multi-tiered level at different elevations which made it take even longer.

I can forgive a lot of things in a lot of games, even my favorite ones and not-so-favorite ones, but this has to be the brokenest-ass loot system in any game I've ever played. This coupled with the other glaring problems with the game make it an unforgivable mess that tarnishes the reputation of the first Borderlands, which is a game that I hold in the highest regards as one of my favorite games of all time.

In short, fuck Borderlands 2. Fuck it straight to hell.

After playing a bunch of both BL1 and 2

a) In both games, and it seems more obvious or overt in the second one, there is almost an exact order to elemental weapons dropping/becoming available, and it's infuriatingly slightly after when you need them i.e. you won't get shock for the enemies that go invisible, you won't get corrosive just before encountering armored bots. And yes, rocket launchers are difficult to come across regardless of class. See c)

b) if you have a couple of sirens in your team buffing and/or resing along with health regen mods, BL2 is kind of a cakewalk.

c) gamble at Moxxi's instead, or farm certain enemies for the (sort of) guaranteed drops (e.g. the bee etc.)

d) if you kill yourself, I've noticed you respawn at whatever checkpoint was last "hit" by any player in that game, so just jump off the nearest cliff or take off your shield and grenade yourself and you should catch up to them soon enough (providing you don't hit a checkpoint yourself and respawn there). You'll usually see if the others have hit a checkpoint when the vault icon starts flashing in the corner.

Also the guy they brought on to write the game is a horrible individual, but in some weird way, the game's plot is way more entertaining if you don't think about it. The lead up to the Bunker section, the Bunker itself and the reactor core fight after was some of the best paced 3-ish hours of that game (somehow), but if you stop to pay attention to the garbage that was written for all of BL2, it all falls apart miserably.

#108 Posted by CakeBomb (218 posts) -

Super Metroid, the holy grail of the series by its fans.

Having played Metroid 1 and 2 before it, it amazes me how they got so much right and so much wrong in the same game. The main issue is the controls, a dedicated run button and separate buttons for shooting up and down is downright unacceptable, I criticize the original Metroid for not having the freedom of movement/shooting as its contemporary, Contra, and this is the same issue. Contra for SNES did a much better job with its controls (independent of how different a type of game it is).

Next, and that has more to do with my personal opinion, it's boring as hell. The beginning is great, but from then on the places you go to just don't do anything for me, and traversing them always feels like a chore, from the unreliable grappling beam physics to overly long routes (I know there are various though), it's not much fun to play, even compared to the older games, and of course, Zero Mission destroys this game in every meaningful way, except for its presentation (again, the beginning was awesome).

Metroid 1 has dated controls, but it's a simple game, Metroid 2 retained the simplicity but improved the controls a little. Super Metroid is a much more complex game, but it really shows they didn't know how to tackle the way you interact and walk through this rich world at the time, making it stuck in this limbo of "almost there". The GBA games show they took notes in that 8 year gap and improved the experience, which makes me wish for a Super Metroid remake with a redesigned world (maybe not as labyrinthine) and better gameplay.

Next I will play Prime and Fusion, to see if they're what they're cracked up to be. Prime seems like a wonderful game, Fusion looks more divisive, but I like linear games too so I probably won't mind that aspect of it.

#109 Posted by baka_shinji17 (204 posts) -

This game called Life. The series has been going on for over two decades with the same characters and the plot has gone nowhere. The gameplay is boring, the world makes no sense and I have heard rumors that if you die, you cannot even restart. What the hell is up with that?

#110 Posted by ADAMWD (581 posts) -
#111 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

This game called Life. The series has been going on for over two decades with the same characters and the plot has gone nowhere. The gameplay is boring, the world makes no sense and I have heard rumors that if you die, you cannot even restart. What the hell is up with that?

Yeah, but those graphics sure are something. Plus the huge world map and endless sidequests make it all worth it.

#112 Edited by BeachThunder (11831 posts) -

@mikkaq said:

@baka_shinji17 said:

Yeah, but those graphics sure are something. Plus the huge world map and endless sidequests make it all worth it.

You really need good eye hardware to appreciate the graphics. There are lots of locations you definitely don't want to go to and there are some really terrible sidequests too.

#113 Edited by McDayman (101 posts) -

Fire Emblem Awakening: Don't get me wrong, I really liked playing the game and beat it 1.5 times. I even liked the story and how it was told. The goddamn boiler plate character archetypes, however, absolutely did not pay justice to the amount of work and care that went into the rest of the game. It felt like Valkyria Chronicles 2 all over again. Does that pass for memorable characters in Japan?

Also, New Super Mario Brothers Wii. I was completely on board for some back to the roots Mario, cut my teeth on SMB3 and World for a long period of time. It looked and controlled well but felt very flat and uninspired, not to mention bloody easy. I used to know you, Nintendo.

#114 Edited by amalager (16 posts) -

Well, I rarely purchase PC games as I'm more into MMOs that I can just download. Latest let down would be from Eclipse War and Elder Scrolls Online.

#115 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I dont know if it counts since it was free, but Hitman Absolution. Got it free via games with gold thing microsoft does.

I dont think its a bad game, and in fact its my first hitman game. So it was fun for awhile, exploring the levels finding interesting ways to kill guys and stuff. But i don't know, something about it... Felt sorta like a more methodical gimmick kill filled assassins creed without all the fun running / climbing / jumping stuff. I mean sure i CAN poison this guys food, but its SIGNIFICANTLY easier to just garrote him when he walks his repeating path and turns the corner when no ones looking. I lost interest in the fancy kills and that ultimately made me lose interest in it and go back to Dark Souls 2.

But maybe i just was still hooked on dark souls 2....

#116 Edited by Cloudunderfire (35 posts) -

Combat in inFAMOUS has been pretty disappointing thus far. Considering inFAMOUS 2 had such an emphasis on melee combat and encouraged the player to try different approaches during fights (dodge, amp, shoot from cover). I feel like most of the battles in second son consist of me trying to get head shots with smoke or hitting someone's foot with neon. Is it me or does Deslons chain seem completely useless against most enemies?

Besides that the biggest recent letdown ive had in video games was Remember Me. I remember following the games facebook page when they were showing alpha footage and thought the whole idea seemed so cool. It has a fantastic setting, great music, interesting take on future sci fi, and a really unique world. It sucks that such potentially awesome game was crippled by repetitive level design and combat. Not to mention the confusing plot (Who am I actually fighting?). If only there were more of those memory remix sequences...

#117 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Infamous.

All looks, zero personality.

#118 Posted by arustysumo (28 posts) -

I don't really get let down by games. I might slowly lose interest or get bored but I never really get let down. So for me the last real let down was Assassin's Creed 3. I still get bummed out at how bad not only that ending, but that whole game was. Mass Effect 3 fans thought they had it bad!

#119 Posted by zaglis (909 posts) -

Counter Strike Global Offensive. Just a disgusting game.

At the time of the release it had absolutely no purpose to exist what so ever since it didn't have anything new to offer. Even bunch of textures and models are copy pasted from previous valve titles (As long as Valve does it, it's all good).

Now its purpose and main focus is to sell weapon skins and community maps which you won't be able to play on official servers anymore after a certain time. Again, this is perfectly fine it seems because Valve. Imagine Activision pulling maps from the playlist after 6 months? Wouldn't that be fun?

#120 Posted by Dasdude (90 posts) -

I am both late to the party AND beating a dead horse, but I really did not like Dragon Age 2 when I tried it recently. There were enough reviews saying it was "different but good" or "refreshing", but there was absolutely nothing in that game that interested me beyond the fact that some choices from DAO would carry over. I suppose I should have seen the disappointment all over the internet as a warning, but I somehow remained hopeful.

#121 Posted by BambamCZ (137 posts) -

The most recent would be Resident Evil 6. I really hoped it would at least as much dumb fun as RE5 was, but this was just a freaking mess with way too many shitty QTEs.

#122 Posted by leafhouse (133 posts) -

Hitman: Absolution came home amped as fuck about this game, and only got about an hour in. I don't care if people say it gets better, fuck that shit.

#123 Edited by hollitz (1500 posts) -

Dark Souls 2.

#124 Posted by Matt_F606 (306 posts) -

I might get shit for saying this but... Man... Dark Souls II. Dark Souls kicked my ass often but I never felt like I didn't earn those beatings. When I got my bearings, figuring out attack patterns/animations, I could take on any enemy or boss. Dark Souls II made me feel so weak and powerless, from the tough beginning to the bitter end. No matter what play style I tried, I got my ass handed to me on a platter, and it often didn't feel like a fair defeat. There are too many instances of multiple enemies ganging up on you, and certain bosses are just too tough to take on alone. Sure, there is an in-game mechanic to deal with tough enemies and bosses, summoning, but needing to use it so often cheapened the overall game experience for me.

Dark Souls remains my favorite of the series, followed by Demon's Souls, with Dark Souls II struggling to keep up at the rear. It pains to me to say so--I really wanted to love this sequel--but there it is...

I can get behind that. Loved the first Dark Souls, felt like every death was my fault and I knew why it happened. I know DS2 can be tamed but it doesn't feel quite as fair. I haven't played Daemon souls so I cant comment on that.

#125 Edited by JoeyRavn (4964 posts) -

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. I waited for the PC release and, while the port itself is great, I just couldn't get into the combat. A "character action game" with no dodge? Not for me.

Thief is pretty boring too. I need to finish it and forget about it.

#126 Posted by peritus (993 posts) -

Sadly, the elder scrolls online. :( That world just doesnt feel alive to me.

#127 Posted by leafhouse (133 posts) -
@mattf87 said:

@magusmaleficus said:

I might get shit for saying this but... Man... Dark Souls II. Dark Souls kicked my ass often but I never felt like I didn't earn those beatings. When I got my bearings, figuring out attack patterns/animations, I could take on any enemy or boss. Dark Souls II made me feel so weak and powerless, from the tough beginning to the bitter end. No matter what play style I tried, I got my ass handed to me on a platter, and it often didn't feel like a fair defeat. There are too many instances of multiple enemies ganging up on you, and certain bosses are just too tough to take on alone. Sure, there is an in-game mechanic to deal with tough enemies and bosses, summoning, but needing to use it so often cheapened the overall game experience for me.

Dark Souls remains my favorite of the series, followed by Demon's Souls, with Dark Souls II struggling to keep up at the rear. It pains to me to say so--I really wanted to love this sequel--but there it is...

I can get behind that. Loved the first Dark Souls, felt like every death was my fault and I knew why it happened. I know DS2 can be tamed but it doesn't feel quite as fair. I haven't played Daemon souls so I cant comment on that.

I don't understand any of this. DS2 feels far easier than previous games, which I totally attribute to the fact that we played the previous games and knew what to expect, but how is it not fair? No boss fights are as shitty as Smough and Ornstein, no area as shitty as Tomb of the Giants.

#128 Posted by enginerd (1 posts) -

Spelunky. Heard so many good things about it, and I just can't seem to get into it. Which is a real bummer because so many people seem to be having a great time with it.

#129 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Infamous: Second Son

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring

#130 Posted by Alkaiser (358 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. I waited for the PC release and, while the port itself is great, I just couldn't get into the combat. A "character action game" with no dodge? Not for me.

There is a dodge. You have to buy it, which is crazy in itself, but its there and at least its pretty cheap.

#131 Edited by Schlorgan (209 posts) -

I really liked Crysis 2. It was one of my favorite games of 2011 and I consider its single player campaign as one of the best of the generation, and Alcatraz to be one of the best protagonists.

I was especially hyped after the end of that game where Prophet tells Alcatraz that New York was just the beginning and there were things all over the world that needed to be taken out. So I imagined Crysis 3 would be Alcatraz (with Prophet as a Cortana-esque support character) going to various exotic locales around the world and fighting aliens, and got really excited for Crysis 3. Then they announced it, basically getting up and saying: "Hey, remember how we had a really good protagonist last time? Well, this time we replaced him with someone way worse. Remember that author we had that last time that wrote us a decent story? He's not involved. That super hype Hans Zimmer score that we had? Gone. Also, it's still in New York."

Congrats, Crytek, your game was a huge letdown long before it even came out.

#132 Edited by Bistromath (603 posts) -

All of them.

#133 Edited by Culture_cypher (5 posts) -

Yaiba lol kinda saw it coming but I thought I'd be into it.. can't believe that still F*** up the camera that bad.

#134 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1035 posts) -

@mattf87 said:

@magusmaleficus said:

I don't understand any of this. DS2 feels far easier than previous games, which I totally attribute to the fact that we played the previous games and knew what to expect, but how is it not fair? No boss fights are as shitty as Smough and Ornstein, no area as shitty as Tomb of the Giants.

I had no problem with Smough and Ornstein, no matter what build I brought to the fight. I know that's not the norm but that was my experience. Ditto the Tomb of Giants, although I had the bug thing that you wear on your head that emits light, so navigation wasn't an issue. But that's what it comes down to really: personal experience--it felt unfair at times to me but I can't say that the game was inherently unfair. After all, you don't think so, along with plenty of other folks; and I'm not about to tell you that your experience, or anyone else's experience for that matter, wasn't valid, because of course it was.

#135 Posted by Killroycantkill (1401 posts) -

Lighting Returns...

• Every quest is a fetch quest
  • Time mechanic feels tact on and doesn't really add anything to the game other than frustration
  • Because you level up during quests completed and not battles completed battles become very very tedious.
#136 Posted by DeadpanCakes (840 posts) -

Xenoblade

It just wasn't quite what I wanted, and I think that's more on me than on the game, itself.
I still think there was plenty good in that game, and I'd definitely recommend it to some, but man... that game was not for me.

#137 Edited by BlueWolverine (97 posts) -

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag. Terrible mission design. I don't think I've ever played a game that was so in-tune with its main theme even to its detriment. Being allowed to explore the sea at my own pace was exhilarating. But as soon as I was forced to adhere to AC 4's abysmal stealth/stalk design, I didn't want to play it anymore. Not as bad as AC 3, but the AC series still has a lot of shit to sort out.

#138 Posted by JBird (489 posts) -

@sparky_buzzsaw: I have also really struggled to get into the Last of us. Partly because it spawned a 1.5 hour dive into the world of full/limited RBG so I could actually see what was happening at points, and partly because I felt like I couldn't really play it 'my' way. When I tried to be sneaky I got spotted and when i tried to run head in I got killed. I got a few hours in and left it in my drawer. I'll come back to it one day. Just not for a while

#139 Posted by Novocaine (30 posts) -

For me it would be Arhkam Origins.

I don't know if it's because it's a bad game at it's core, or that I was getting an Assassin's Creed type "this is all the same" vibe, but I could not get immersed into it like the previous two, and it's sort of killed any kind of enthusiasm I have for Arkham Knight.

#140 Posted by XLR87T3 (29 posts) -

Amazing Spider-Man. After the main storyline, it just you swinging around the city.

#141 Edited by ThatOneDudeNick (552 posts) -

I don't get hyped for games, so I'm rarely let down. Here's a couple examples of when I've been disappointed. I'm not looking to argue opinions or anything...

I finally played Fez. I can't "meh" hard enough. There's nothing wrong with the game, but I have no idea where all of the hype came from. I expected a much better game based on the praise it received.

I thought Telltale's The Walking Dead was a huge disappointment. I'm sure it's very much a case of two people looking at the same thing and seeing it differently. I tried playing through Season 1 again recently, thinking I must have been missing something. Nope. I see what people like about it, but I thought it did more things bad than it did good. Seeing it win so many awards while it wasn't even in my top 10 for 2012 was pretty strange.

While I enjoyed Assassin's Creed Black Flag, the parts not on a boat are absolute garbage. Tailing missions aren't fun. Ever. I wouldn't call it a let down, because I knew ahead of time that I don't like Assassin's Creed games. I was disappointed that nearly every mission was aggressively not fun, when all of the moments on the boat, exploring, and unlocking things is awesome. I got the game on release date and I just finished it a couple days ago. It was a chore to get myself to get through any of the story. It felt like they were actively trying to make every mission terrible. Multiplayer is fun though, oddly enough.

#142 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

Mechwarrior Online. Fuck how that turned out.

#143 Edited by SeanCoughing (262 posts) -

Infamous second son was a let down for me. I loved the first two games, but second son went too far away from the comic book style stuff when I wish they would have leaned into it more. The first two games also had really cool gangs to fight in different areas of the city that varied in look and attack style, second son had the same generic military guys the entire game.

#144 Edited by NTM (7337 posts) -

I guess the most recent, though not a very exciting answer, would be Freedom Cry. I just found it kind of dull. Other than that, while I thought the game was still decent, and though I didn't have huge expectations or sheer enthusiasm for the game beforehand, I thought Second Son could have been a whole lot better. The first one was the only really superb thing in Infamous to me, while Festival of Blood comes in as second with a great atmosphere. I didn't feel a sense of disappointment with two or Second Son, but I probably should have because I love one, but two and Second Son just weren't as good in my opinion.

#145 Posted by NTM (7337 posts) -

@bobbyr said:

I think the last time I've been disappointed with a game was when I finished Mass Effect 3 and Assassins Creed 3. Man, 2012 was a bummer year for me

Assassin's Creed 3, very much so, Mass Effect 3, only marginally.

#146 Edited by Professionlol (71 posts) -

not a new release, but I spied the Paradox Island game "Sengoku" on steam for $10 and picked it up. I loved Crusader Kings 2 and this was close to that engine, but man... this was a tough steak to swallow. at least I have a more intimate idea of the political landscape than in Shogun 2. Cant wait for a grand strategy game to really knock 1600s Japan out of the park though.

#147 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11622 posts) -

I rarely hype myself up for a game enough to get notably disappointed anymore. When I play a bad game, chances are I wasn't expecting a whole ton in the first place. Still, I found the last 4 chapters of Bravely Default to be a serious bummer. The rest of that game is pretty great, but it feels like they ran out of stuff at the 40 hour mark and just decided to recycle like crazy.

#148 Posted by njean777 (46 posts) -

Infamous: Second Son

I played the first two and enjoyed them, but for some reason I feel like this one is just a minor iteration on those. It really is dampening my impressions of it as well. I am about 62% done and just have no want to go and finish the game at this time. I will eventually finish it, but I just hate that I feel let down by a series I enjoyed.

#150 Posted by Deckard42 (132 posts) -

Infamous Second Son, I spent time clearing the districts to get the fast travel points only to have it completely erased after the second meeting with Augustine. Maybe I missed something telling me that it would do that but it really bummed me out. I didn't feel like doing any of the side stuff after that and just pushed through the rest of the story. I think the game was great looking and the characters were animated well but I wasn't into their personalities at all. I didn't feel much when the brother died, mostly because I never liked him as a character. I'm glad it was a rental.