• 71 results
#1 Posted by liquiddragon (229 posts) -

With the inevitable launch of new consoles this year, I was wondering what your most desired vaporware of the current generation of consoles.

There are a lot of promising games that never saw the light of day such as The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy Versus 13.

#2 Posted by JaredA (822 posts) -
#3 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Versus XIII was announced 7 years ago. Time flies.

#4 Posted by liquiddragon (229 posts) -

@JaredA: Beyond Good and Evil 2 would be awesome!

#5 Posted by Branthog (7478 posts) -

HL3

/Thread

#6 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1178 posts) -

Mega Man Universe looked cool.

#7 Posted by BeachThunder (11805 posts) -

It took 5 posts to get to HL3. For shaaaame.

Also, Mirror's Edge II

#8 Posted by SgtSphynx (1335 posts) -

Versus XIII and that's really it.

#9 Posted by BisonHero (6405 posts) -

Yeah, Half-Life 3 would be nice. My only fear is that it won't live up to the impossible expectations people have, sort of like Diablo 3.

Then again, Half-Life 2 lived up to and exceeded expectations. Or for a more recent example, Portal 2 was probably as good as they could've made it, when Portal 1 has the unfair advantage of being this weird surprise sleeper hit. So I really hope the whole company isn't just focused on Dota 2 still; wrap that shit up, properly release it, then keep a small team updating it like with TF2.

#10 Posted by L44 (555 posts) -

Prey 2. Please.

#11 Posted by Doctorchimp (4074 posts) -

STALKER 2, Prey 2 and The Last Guardian. Really, that's kinda it.

I can't believe I bought a PS3 mostly on the promise of The Last Guardian.

#12 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

So many good ones battlefront 3, Prey 2, and Stalker 2 are up there for me.

#13 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Battlefront 3 or Mirror's Edge 2

#14 Posted by Anund (881 posts) -

The WH40k MMO, but not sure if that was part of this generation or not...

#15 Posted by JoeyRavn (4962 posts) -

@iceman228433 said:

So many good ones battlefront 3, Prey 2, and Stalker 2 are up there for me.

I don't know about STALKER 2, but neither Battlefront 2 nor Prey 2 qualify as vaporware, since there are working builds of both games running around the Internet. They are more in a "development hell" than anything else, and Battlefront 2 was even officially canceled, IIRC.

I'm surprised that nobody has said Shenmue III. I never played either I or II, but people seem to love that series.

#16 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

@L44 said:

Prey 2. Please.

#17 Posted by chrissedoff (2079 posts) -

It's got to be The Last Guardian for me. I've never felt like Half-Life 3 was in any kind of jeopardy of not coming out. It seems to me like it's something we'll see some time after the new hardware generation is here, and it'll probably be based on a new engine to replace the pretty long-in-the-tooth Source engine. Honestly, who knows what the hell they're doing with The Last Guardian though? We've all seen footage of the game. We all know basically what the game is all about. What is the hold-up there? Some time during that game's development, that team must have come to the realization that they don't actually know how to do any of the things they're trying to do with the game. Either that, or they've just been collecting Sony's paychecks and spending the days screwing around instead of getting any real work done. It's a real shame too, because The Last Guardian seemed like it should have been this landmark game that ten years later people would look back on and say, "Games like that were why the Playstation 3 was great." Now, it would be a minor miracle if it even came out before the Playstation 4.

Prey 2 was a good mention. I thought XCOM looked like it could be really good. I don't know uncool it makes me for thinking that. I was looking forward to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 but I don't think that really counts as vaporware because it's officially been canceled.

#18 Posted by Senno (74 posts) -

Pirates of the Carribean: Armada of the Damned.

The world needs a great pirate themed game. Doesn't have to be tied to the films, can be it's own thing. Something like Sid Meier's Pirates, with the physics of the Assassin's Creed 3 engine, and the atmosphere of Skyrim with a dash of Tropico. Light hearted, some dark edges, lots of action and adventure.

#19 Posted by Gamer_152 (14066 posts) -

I know it's the cliché answer, but God dammit, it's true: Half-Life 3. It'd also be cool to see Mirror's Edge 2.

#20 Edited by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

Metro Last Light

#21 Posted by Svenzon (718 posts) -

Yeah, that Pirates of the Caribbean game looked so cool. Shame it got canned. Would have loved to see Prey 2 too, but I haven't written that off just yet!

#22 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
#23 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7074 posts) -

Darksiders 3 :(

#24 Posted by MentalDisruption (1621 posts) -

FF Versus XIII

#25 Posted by Cretaceous_Bob (506 posts) -

Kingdom Under Fire 2.

I was going to say I remember a lot of talk about Huxley at the beginning of this generation and can't recall it ever coming out, but apparently it's playable somewhere.

#26 Posted by BaneFireLord (2918 posts) -

Poor Battlefront III.

#27 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

Gun 2

#28 Posted by GunstarRed (5103 posts) -

Rodea The sky soldier. Yuji Naka has said it was finished, it popped up on that fake Wii U eshop list some time last year. I thought it looked really cool.

#29 Posted by EchoEcho (818 posts) -

@Seppli said:

As of today? Warhammer 40k : Dark Millenium - which seems to haved died together with Vigil Games in the aftermath of THQ's demise.

Goddammit, yes. I was so looking forward to seeing that in action, even if it got completely restructured to be a solo/co-op game instead of an MMO. Had reservations about how the product would end up with such a big change so late in development, but fuck, now I'll never know!

#30 Posted by Bollard (5400 posts) -
#31 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

I would agree with Half Life 3, Except the question was, what was "Your Most Wanted Vaporware Of This Generation"

#32 Posted by Atlas (2435 posts) -

Was it ever actually announced in no uncertain terms that a Half-Life 3 was going to happen? Because from what I recall it wasn't, and the speculation is more due to the inevitability of continuing the hugely successful series as well as the dramatic end of Episode 2. Does vaporware as a term refer to a product that was in development but not released, or to a product that was in development, officially announced, and then never released? If we can count HL3 as vaporware, then yes that wins hands down. If not, I don't have a proper answer. None of the other responses in this thread were games that I was at any point super excited for.

#33 Posted by Pr1mus (3858 posts) -

Can't be HL3 because it was never announced.

It has to be either Versus XIII or The Last Guardian.

#34 Posted by oraknabo (1457 posts) -
#35 Posted by squidraid (129 posts) -

Does Metro really qualify as vaporware? I guess it sort of does, with the current state of THQ.

Also putting money on Half Life 3. Valve has to turn its eyes away from Dota one of these years. Not getting my hopes up, though.

#36 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3851 posts) -

Prey 2

Warhammer 40k MMO

StarCraft Ghost (I know that's last gen but I still want it)

I'm not saying Half Life cause I'm still convinced its coming at some point.

#37 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -

@xobballox said:

Battlefront 3 or Mirror's Edge 2

these 2

#38 Posted by Vonocourt (2125 posts) -

@Atlas: @Pr1mus:

Half-life 3 was never announced, Half-Life 2 :Episode 3 though...

The Last Guardian

Project Offset (just because the whole thing sounded insane)

Versus XIII

#39 Posted by squidraid (129 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

I had to echo this one, though it's another that was never officially announced. I hope some remnant of Vigil still manages to pull through.

#40 Edited by KaneRobot (1510 posts) -

Mortal Kombat: Fire and Ice. I don't think it was every actually announced, but fuck it. Going with that answer anyway.

Not going with the stock answer of Half-Life 3 since it has been too long. At one point I would have said HL3, but I don't care anymore. I'll probably buy it after it comes out, but it doesn't matter to me when/if it ever shows up.

#41 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Oh, Half-Life 3 counts even if it was never announced? .. well, then.. Starcraft 4, Bioshock 10, and Final Fantasy 21. 

#42 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7074 posts) -
@squidraid

@MariachiMacabre said:

I had to echo this one, though it's another that was never officially announced. I hope some remnant of Vigil still manages to pull through.

That's the saddest part. A Vigil dev went on twitter yesterday and said Darksiders 3 was going to be the long-awaited co-op game.
#43 Posted by MarcusCoxus (29 posts) -

@Crixaliz: Errmmm... that game's coming out. It's not vaporware. :)

#44 Posted by Elwoodan (807 posts) -

2 Human (that's what I would call it, anyway), and a sequel to Advent Rising.

Mirror's Edge 2 would be good too, but was that ever actually announced/planned?

#45 Posted by MarcusCoxus (29 posts) -

I don't think half of these people understand the term 'vaporware'.

"computer software that is announced to the general public but is never actually released, nor officially cancelled"

#46 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4360 posts) -

Before I played XIII, I would've said Versus XIII.

Now my answer is just HL3 and Battlefront 3.

#47 Posted by YoThatLimp (1897 posts) -

That pirates RPG they were working on. Bah

#48 Posted by liquiddragon (229 posts) -

Agent anyone?

#49 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

OH CHRIST. You made me sad :(

#50 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

Homeworld 3. :(

Probably never gonna happen since Relic's been separated from the IP AGAIN. But... Maybe... http://www.indiegogo.com/save-homeworld

:P

That's just me being desperate though- it doesn't even count as vaporware since it was never officially announced. So... My real answer would be Battlefront 3. :(