• 0 results
#1 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -

Giantbomb isn't really a website for the sports gamer.
However, we all pretty much have that one game, from a genre we don't really understand, that we enjoy to some degree.

Sports games are weird. Most of them don't really have much of a personality because its based off real life entertainment 
with real life people and events that actually exist. And most of it is current.

My favorite sports game has to be NBA street vol. 2

The aim of the game was to collect players of legendary status like Micheal Jordan (and fictional characters like "Stretch") 
and build your own bad-ass basketball team. At the core, Its a standard basketball game, but the way it handles and the 
exaggerated moves you can do made it much more than a game like NBA live to me. 
 It also gave legends like Micheal Jordan a more comic book-ish look.

NBA street vol. 2 is my NBA jam...some of you may find that blasphemous

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (11794 posts) -

Tony Hawks 2

#3 Posted by one_2nd (2359 posts) -

The NHL franchise. 

#4 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

SSX3

#5 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

Although, another sports games I loved was Splashdown.

#6 Posted by TehFedro (431 posts) -

Mines NHL09, only because I don't own any sports games and that's the one my friends and I have alot of fun with when we decide to play it really late at night. We've had alot of crazy times with that game.

#7 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -

Man I really loved NBA Street (1 and 2) but I have to give it to SSX Tricky, so many good memories of playing splitscreen with friends.

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (11794 posts) -

Hm, actually now that I've thought about it more (and looked through the wiki) maybe Tony Hawks 3, either way, the early Tony Hawks games were awesome 8D

#9 Posted by psyborg0815 (444 posts) -

Wave Race 64. 
It still holds up pretty well.

#10 Posted by AjayRaz (12423 posts) -

Tony Hawk's Underground or WWF No Mercy. it's a close tie. 

#11 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

either SSX 1 (I never had tricky :/) Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 (low gravity + chicago = FUN TIMES), or smackdown: Here Comes the Pain (I think that's what it was called)

#12 Posted by Grilledcheez (3945 posts) -

I probably have the best memories with the first 2 Tony Hawk games...Street Vol. 2 is awesome though, that was a really good choice on your part

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Um, that Mario baseball game? I don't know, I've only played, like, three sports games, ever.

#14 Posted by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

Wave Race 64
Mario Golf 64 and Toadstool Tour
Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort

#15 Posted by agge (4 posts) -

Fifa 08

#16 Posted by Onigenko (335 posts) -

Pro Evolution Soccer 6 on PS2. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

#17 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

Fifa 98: Road to World Cup

#18 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

Would you take motorsports? Otherwise it'll be GT4. But if not then it has to be Tiger Woods 08. Or was it 09 again?...

#19 Posted by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -
#20 Edited by MrAriscottle (258 posts) -
#21 Posted by TooWalrus (13153 posts) -

#22 Posted by 1337W422102 (1009 posts) -

NBA mothereffing Jam, Tournament Edition.

#23 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

It's tough between Fifa 10, Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (or 5, i can't remember which was superior anymore) and Fifa 98 road to the world cup.

Then there's NBA jam and NFL blitz, lesser sports, but ridiculous fun. 

I think PES 6/5 wins, because i spent about a year of my life playing the master league mode with the default boys, Hamsun, Zamenhof, Ruskin, Mananda E.t.c

#24 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Anything to do with Golf. Tiger Woods on the Wii has gotten better every year. I do find it strange that Nintendo has not made Mario Golf Wii. It seems like a perfect fit.

#25 Posted by Fezz (440 posts) -

I loved most most of the NBA Street games and most of the Tony Hawk games.

#26 Posted by sammccallum16 (51 posts) -

International Superstar Soccer 64 
By a damn mile!

#27 Posted by august (3833 posts) -

#28 Posted by Zidd (1841 posts) -

PS2 North American front cover
The last good one right before the series went to crap.
#29 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1288 posts) -
@luce: SSX Tricky...if you can count that as a sports game...I really really liked NHL 09.  I buy a new NHL probably every 4-5 years,,,ppl who buy annual are silly.
#30 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6139 posts) -

That's a tough call.  I'll say SSX 3, though Tiger Woods 2010, NBA Street 2, or Tony Hawk Underground could all easily fit that bill.

#31 Posted by KrisCarter (102 posts) -

I can't remember the name of it but it was on the Amiga and it was a mixture of Soccer and Football and it was played by cyborgs you could upgrade or recruit. Any help with the name would be amazing. I want to get it possibly on GOG but I cannot forthelifeofme remember.

#32 Edited by Stilblad (88 posts) -

Even though I really dont like sports games I have fond memories  of playing madden back when the original xbox came out.  My dad and brother would play with me and kept commenting on how ridiculously realistic it looked....

#33 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

NFL 2K5 or really any of the NHL franchise from 99 on.

#34 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

I really enjoyed Tony Hawk's Underground, and Mario Golf.

#35 Posted by Hosstile17 (763 posts) -

If I had to pick a favorite it would have to be NFL2K5. Unequivocally, the most well rounded and polished sports game for any console.

#36 Posted by dankempster (2252 posts) -

I'd have to say Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4. No sports game before or since has gripped me like it did back when it came out. It looked great, controlled brilliantly, and brought a whole new dynamic and pace to the series with its open-world, seek-out-the-challenge-givers gameplay. It's a shame the Tony Hawk franchise has become what it's become, because back in its heyday nobody could touch it.

#37 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -
@Hosstile17 said:
" If I had to pick a favorite it would have to be NFL2K5. Unequivocally, the most well rounded and polished sports game for any console. "
I'm glad I'm not alone on that one. 

Surpassed Madden in every way, it's a shame. 
#38 Posted by jasondaplock (260 posts) -

It's either Tony Hawk 3 or SSX Tricky for me. I played them both at around the same time, played the hell out of both, and haven't realistically played many other sports games.

#39 Posted by supernando (55 posts) -
@Onigenko:  I 100% agree pro evolution has fallen massivly and fifa has become better, but its still a poor game with dodgy controls and poor A.I. Still I want to play online so I choose Fifa these days. It sometimes makes me feel dirty
#40 Posted by AngelofDeath (26 posts) -

The ridiculousness that is NHL10
#41 Posted by DewRequired (122 posts) -

MVP Baseball 2005, without a doubt. That game was ridiculously awesome.

#42 Posted by Zidane_24 (738 posts) -

NFL Blitz 2003.  So many great memories from that game, both in the arcades and on Xbox.

Runner-up: NFL Fever 2002
#43 Edited by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

Hello Kitty : Roller Rescue 

Seriously though, probably Fifa 03.

#44 Posted by PATERSON (248 posts) -

FIFA!!!!!!

#45 Posted by Junior_AIN (200 posts) -

Lately I would say Pro Evolution Soccer.

#46 Posted by Bam_D_Leprechaun (795 posts) -

NHL10 
ESPN NHL2k5 
NHL 94 
WAYNE GRETZKYS 3D HOCKEY! 
NBA Jam (SNES) 

#47 Posted by Encognegro (35 posts) -

FIFA World Cup 2010 simply because the goalie was no longer running out at the ball from 50 yards out.

#48 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

#49 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain and NHL 05 are the ones that I've spent the most time with.

#50 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

Excluding not-quite-a-sports-game sports games like SSX3, Blitz, and the early/mid Tony Hawk games, my heart belongs to NFL 2K5.  God, that game was good.