#1 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

I'm curious how people here view guides. Me personally I have no problem using one on certain games where others I try to avoid unless I'm really stuck. An example is right now I'm play Persona 4..... I really don't care to go through and figure out enemies weaknesses one at a time. Just give me the weakness and move on. BUT on the S Link portion (the best part) of the game I will not look up how I should be doing things and just go with the flow. I made my first mistake already in joining the Band over Drama, but I moved on with my terrible choice. Another one is the Portal games. I haven't played them and I'm TERRIBLE at puzzle games so once I reach a puzzle that I can't figure out I'll probably look towards a guide for help when I start playing them.

I use guides more of a anti-frustration tool. How do you view guides?

#2 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

I fucking wrote one once. It wasn't very good, but I'm pretty sure it's still on GameFAQs. I probably have the paper notes I took somewhere around here.

Guides are good. The people who have problems with it are generally the same kind of people who have a hissy fit when somebody enters a cheat code.

Not that cheat codes exist any more Microsoft.

#3 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I am a big fan of FAQs. Especially since I play a lot of RPGs.

#4 Posted by Dimsey (948 posts) -

I won't give a guide a glance until I am at my complete wits end. Usually if I get stuck in a game I'll just leave it and come back to it later, play something else for a while. 
But if I can't figure it out after a few more goes of it then I'll hit up a walk through or something, but I don't feel good about it.

#5 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

@Canteu said:

I am a big fan of FAQs. Especially since I play a lot of RPGs.

Those are the games I end up using them the most on, I try not to use them at least on the first playthrough but depends of the game really

#6 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@Nightriff: I have a problem where I want all of the stuff, but I am in no way motivated to walk around for hundreds of hours to find it all, so I follow guides for that purpose. Never for combat or story purposes though, it's just side stuff for me.

#7 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -

I think if you want 100% in GTA, the only sane way to go about it is with a guide.

#8 Posted by dpedal1 (191 posts) -

@Canteu said:

@Nightriff: I have a problem where I want all of the stuff, but I am in no way motivated to walk around for hundreds of hours to find it all, so I follow guides for that purpose. Never for combat or story purposes though, it's just side stuff for me.

This...when going for collectibles or such I methodically work through a game with a guide.

#9 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@dpedal1: And if you don't follow it methodically, and go back say, when you've already found 50% of the stuff, you basically have to start from scratch to see if you already got the thing or not. That's why I follow from the start for that stuff :p

#10 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

@Dimsey said:

I won't give a guide a glance until I am at my complete wits end. Usually if I get stuck in a game I'll just leave it and come back to it later, play something else for a while. But if I can't figure it out after a few more goes of it then I'll hit up a walk through or something, but I don't feel good about it.

Why do you not feel good about it out of curiosity? I only feel bad when it was actually something super simple that I just over complicated.