Your platforming preference: Kirby or Mario?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Your platforming preference: Kirby or Mario? (90 votes)

Kirby 18%
Mario 82%

I think I've only had significant experience with one of each, but the Kirby experience was back when I was a kid. I think I enjoyed it though.

• 
Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Rayman

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Mario World is my favorite game of all time.

But Sonic.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Donkey Kong Country.

Specifically, the second one.

...OK, OK! Mario is all right. I think I've played a Kirby game once or twice, but I don't actually remember.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I love both of them, but Mario takes the cake.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kirby because I fell in love with Superstar (Ultra) and I just want another one like that (return to dreamland fell frustratingly short IMO).

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ezekiel

I still need to play a Kirby.

Super Meat Boy > Mario (1, TLL, 3, World 2) > Rayman (Origins) > Sonic (trilogy)

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Hunter5024

When I was a kid I had a rom for one of the gameboy Kirby games and I remember liking that a whole lot, but beyond that I don't have much experience with Kirby. I spent some time with Epic Yarn, and the one following it for the Wii and I felt like the gameplay wasn't hard enough or complicated enough for me to derive much enjoyment once the newness had worn off.

I also paid my dues to Super Mario World and Mario 64 when I was a kid, and thought they were amazing at the time, though once I experienced Zelda I think I kind of wrote it off as baby stuff. I distinctly remember Sunshine coming out and acting like I was too good for it (because I didn't have a gamecube). It wasn't until my friends picked up New Super Mario Bros Wii and decided the four of us would play through the whole thing together that my love of Mario was really rekindled. I don't think I would've even agreed if the quick look weren't so good, and yet now I consider that playthrough one of my best gaming memories. I tried going back to the DS one and was kind of unimpressed, so I was ready to write it off as a multiplayer fluke until I played 3d land, once I got to the second 8 worlds that game had its hooks deep inside me. It ended up getting me to go back and play Mario 64 and that holds up way better than it should.

So yeah. Definitely Mario. Those first two Donkey Kong countries are pretty damn good too though.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario, but Kirby has better music.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...Sonic? (I'll just go back to raising my Chao)

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd said:

Still no Chao game!

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

C'mon now. Super Mario World/64/Galaxy. Kirby games are cute and a fun time but those Mario games listed are exceptional games and all time classics.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Iodine

See, I love Kirby more than I can ever love Mario, but in terms of Pure Platforming it's Mario

But Kirby is the illest

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:

@dixavd said:

Still no Chao game!

I know, right?!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Crash Bandicoot.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By AMyggen

@yummylee: That's barely a platformer!

But seriously, Mario. Come on, this isn't a contest.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen: Wachu talking 'bout. Crash Bandicoot 2 and Warped are completely valid (and also great) platformers.

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer Mario platformers, though I hope Kirby doesn't leave us any time soon.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Mario is a better platformer, but Kirby wins in every other respect. Art, gameplay, setting, character... I should play another Kirby game

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@yummylee: I was (kinda) trolling. I just think that CB has always been very mediocre, and don't understand the people who want a new game in that franchise. But I guess it's a platformer, but not a good one!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yummylee

@amyggen: Well I think they're fantastic, and I relatively recently headed back to 'em (and even 100%'d them both again, too), and think that they not only hold up surprisingly well, but are still really fun games with an appealing dose of personality. So... agree to disagree blah blah blah.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

kriby games always feel to come out of no where. So they feel like a delightful surprise, because everyone is going to say canvas curse and not Kirby 64 as games they enjoy playing

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither, but even with my limited Kirby experience I've enjoyed that series more than any Mario I've played.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#26  Edited By jacksukeru

Mario. I'm not sure I'm into the feel of the controls or the design of many of the Kirby games anymore. It's kinda hard to explain but a lot of the time I just don't find the copy-powers satisfying to use.

I did like Epic Yarn though, it did away with the slow flying and the copy powers and generally played pretty well, I think.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kirby is just too easy. He's a little too chill for me. Mario isn't afraid to get gangsta.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Can the carefree floating in Kirby games honestly be considered "platforming"?

CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Mario games are far more interesting as far as platforming goes but I must admit I haven't played too much of Kirby games over the years. Perhaps I should check out that upcoming 3DS game as it seems pretty faithful to past games.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Kirby is just fine, but there's no contest really. Mario.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#31  Edited By TheMasterDS

Kirby is more about fucking about with fun powers. It's almost what you'd get if a brawler and a platformer had a baby. Sort of. I would say I generally prefer the tighter platforming of a pure platformer. That said I would not say Mario, Mario's a bit crap. Not as crap as Sonic, but not exactly top of the line. Modern Rayman or Donkey Kong Country's where it's at.

Donkey Kong Country.

Specifically, the second one.

Right on man. You know your platformers. Clapper's Cavern.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario. I find almost every Kirby platformer to just be completely boring.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mario inside of kirby

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Kirby is only a platformer in the most literal sense of the term, and while I still appreciate that series' light and breezy nature, it's not even comparable to Mario.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rayman (y)

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario.

Every.Single.Time.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

@yummylee: I was (kinda) trolling. I just think that CB has always been very mediocre, and don't understand the people who want a new game in that franchise. But I guess it's a platformer, but not a good one!

Well, take this into consideration. I am someone who's first real game console was a Playstation (my dad had a Saturn that I played before but it wasn't like I was buying Saturn games). As such, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro were the first two platformer franchises I played. I never owned an N64 or a Gamecube, and as such had very little contact with Mario, even though I did own Nintendo handhelds. Mario doesn't really do a lot for me since I do not have any sort of nostalgic backing. That's not to say Mario games aren't well made, but without any kind of nostalgia for that series, I see them just as I see any other well made game. Nothing more and nothing less. Super Mario Bros, Mario 3, and World are fantastic games, but Mario 64 to me doesn't really hold up at all to me as some classic of the ages or end all be all platformer. Without nostalgia for first party Nintendo titles, I have never had a reason to buy a Nintendo console. I think the original Spyro and Crash trilogies are excellent, and well worth being remembered alongside Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time.

All that aside, I think Kirby is the game series I have personally had more fun with than Mario. Mario is fine, but its not all that special to me. Kirby has a lot of personality and pizzazz.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#38 gamer_152  Moderator

I mean Kirby's cool, but the Mario games are such fantastically made platformers that there's no competition for me.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Kirby but I feel like Mechanically they have never topped Super Star for the SNES? Granted, I haven't played a new Kirby game since Canvas Curse and it seems like every other Kirby game is a "nontradtional" Kirby game where you aren't absorbing powers.

Has a Kirby game had as much Depth as Super Star? Some of 64 was cool withe fusion of abilities, but I often find that his abilities will do like 1 thing now days or it's a game about whip attacks/ drawing lines/ mass of kirbys.

Mario I'd say is overall better, but I'd like to like Kirby more. It's just that Super Star was too good.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am unaware if there is a multiplayer Kirby game. So Mario wins in the game contest.

As far as TV Shows go though, The Kirby cartoon, easily wins over anything Mario. Except for maybe Super Mario Bros

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I love da Kirbster. He rides a giant hamster, he's the man!