• 76 results
#1 Posted by Jamer91 (132 posts) -

A few weeks ago I read the Scott Pilgrim Comic books in a local book store and I really liked the story and characters. I liked it so much that I went and bought the game for xbla and watched the movie. I loved the game and I thought the movie was ok but the comic books are still the funniest I have ever read.

I was wondering what you guys think about the whole Scot Pilgrim phenomenom. the books, movie, game and TV show. Do you like them or are you like the Giant Bomb crew and feel that it is "trying too hard"?

#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

the game i saw in the quicklook (DS game or something): looks fun, but not that fun 
the movie: i havent seen it, but Michael Cera equals fuck that movie

#3 Edited by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" the game i saw in the quicklook (DS game or something): looks fun, but not that fun the movie: i havent seen it, but Michael Cera equals fuck that movie "

That QL was of the XBLA version I believe. I'm not even sure there is a DS version. I actually just bought the game a couple of days ago and it's really fun. Once you level up, increase your strength, speed, etc. the game really changes. I was having freezing issues at first, but for some reason, switching off of HDMI fixes it. 

Loved the movie. Haven't read the comics, though I'm very very tempted. I think I'm a Scott Pilgrim fan.  :P 

Edit: The QL was of the PSN version. It's only on PSN and XBLA.
#4 Posted by Scigrex14 (83 posts) -

The comic books are amazing and one of my favorite series. The movie was equally amazing, though the ending I think should have been changed to be more like the books ending. 

I haven't played the game, but it looked okay from the Quick Look.
#5 Posted by Yoghurt (95 posts) -

The comic book - Big fan. One of the funniest things out there. Looses some wit at the end, but all in all, it still has lots of charm and seems like it's written by a guy who loves what he does, and you can surely tell that he's a geek in a good way.

Game - fun for a short periods of time. Sometimes I had a feeling it tried too hard to be 'geeky' or 'nerdy' if you like the term better. Loved some of the tributes and homages, some were probably forced.

Movie - still haven't seen it, didn't have a cinema release in my country yet. I'll wait for blu-ray. I'm not a big fan of Michael 'always the same voice and expression' Cera, but I put a lot of hope to the technical stuff, like word bubbles, on-screen onomatopeias and other visual candies.

#6 Posted by Goopynose (62 posts) -

I can appreciate the direction in which the game took, but the comic's animation is exactly what I can't stand about modern cartoons - BORING AND LAZY LOOKING.

#7 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Comic Books are alright, the game is fun with 3 other people. 
The movie is alright I guess but no matter what people keep telling me it's still a lovey dovey chick flick

#8 Posted by SMTDante89 (2549 posts) -

I really enjoyed the comic.  Even after reading them I kept going back to them.
I liked the game back when it first came out.  Only beat it as Scott, too much was going on after that and couldn't really play much of the other characters.
Couldn't see the movie so I'm waiting for home release next week so I can finally watch it.

#9 Posted by Sin4profit (2908 posts) -

never read the book, liked the movie, thought the game was great...but i don't think it's a phenomenon anymore.

#10 Posted by IamTerics (406 posts) -

The comics were really cool and the fact that Scott wasn't that much of a good person. but I hated the actual drawings.  I thought the movie was alright except for the part where they made Kim a minor character. The game is fun but I see no reason to go back after beating it a few times.

#11 Posted by Drakhir (410 posts) -

Watched the movie 2 days ago. It's my current favourite movie, even though the story could use a few tweaks.
I'm also thinking about reading the books.

#12 Posted by James_F (15 posts) -

I definitely liked the movie (Zelda music and sound effects!!), but you could tell that it would appeal to such a limited audience and that it wouldn't make all that much at the box office. It's unfortunate too because it's so original compared to what else is out there. Side note: When I went a few months to go see The Room play at one of the midnight screenings at the Sunset 5 in LA I saw Michael Cera in line right in front of me and he looks just as dorky in person as he does in Scott Pilgrim. 

#13 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Worst film I've seen all year. Twilight for boys is spot on. Boring, unfunny, gaudy, no character, no plot, just a bunch of references for smarmy man children to point to and recognise.

#14 Posted by iAmJohn (6109 posts) -

Own all the comics but I've never read them.  However, the movie is legitimately the best movie to come out this year and one of my favorite films. 

The game is pretty kicking rad, too.

#15 Posted by Sjosz (485 posts) -

Own the comic books, they're great to read from time to time. The movie is a cool enough adaptation of the books, though I'm sad the final book's most bad-ass scenes were omitted. The game is awesome, and more specifically because of the excellent music.

#16 Edited by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I have no interest in it.

#17 Posted by SSully (4128 posts) -

I thought the movie was excellent despite the fact that i never read the comics. I was one of the people that shrugged it off because i thought it was just going to be another Michael Cera crap fest, but my girlfriend wanted to see it and i did not leave disappointed.  

As for the game, i downloaded the demo after seeing the quick look because i thought it looked like a lot of fun. It was, but not beyond that demo.  I just couldnt push myself to buy the full game, especially at 15 dollars. 

#18 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I didn't really enjoy the first volume of the comic. The jokes went on for too long, and Scott was too much of a prick. I couldn't relate to him, and there's no one else to relate to in the comic version. Wallace Wells loses a lot of the fun in his snarkiness without Culkin's deliveries, and Knives was the buttmonkey for most of the jokes that went on too long. 

The movie, which I went into with low hopes because I hadn't enjoyed what I'd read of the comic, was one of the best movies I've seen in years. They cut exactly what they needed to cut for the jokes I'd already heard to be HILARIOUS (see: "Be good.") and the modified versions of the characters are much better than the ones in the comic. The most fixed character was Scott; as opposed to being what the comics were (a story about not being a self-absorbed ass) the new Scott made him more relatable. His new story was about dealing with hardship while trying to seek true love and self-respect. And I've read the plot of the comics online, I understand the point of the comics IS that he's a self-absorbed ass who has to transform into a compassionate person, but that just doesn't resonate with me. I look for something more than awesome jokes and special effects, and the movie DID offer more.

#19 Edited by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

Love the comics, love the game but didn't care for the movie. 

the style was there, the directing was there but cera ruined it for me.

#20 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

Did it ever really hit the level of "phenomenon?" I mean, the Scott Pilgrim stuff got marketed, sure, but that's the way all licensed properties are. It didn't really catch on in any broad demographic. Instead, the franchise appeals to a pretty narrow, pretty specifc fragment audience.  

As for what I think? Never touched the comics, but the movie was swell. Haven't quite finished the game, but it's not terrible.

#21 Posted by ClaritySam (594 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" Worst film I've seen all year. Twilight for boys is spot on. Boring, unfunny, gaudy, no character, no plot, just a bunch of references for smarmy man children to point to and recognise. "
Exact opposite of this :-)
#22 Edited by audiosnag (1604 posts) -

The comics are awesome. The movie was awesome. The game was fun but i've only played the demo.
As for the "trying to hard" complaint i don't think it's valid. The comic came out before referencing old school games was "cool". It wasn't till later you started seeing 14 year olds buying mario shirts from Hot Topic so i don't think the same criticism applies. All the references were pretty genuine.

#23 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

I've only seen the movie, and I've read maybe the first bits of the comic, but I enjoyed it. Kindof a fun movie to shut your head off to. 

#24 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Haven't played or seen anything, but the game looks very fun.

#25 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (866 posts) -

Loved the movie to bits, haven't read the comic yet, only tried the demo for the game. 

In other words, I am a huge fan, just don't have enough money to experience it all so far.

#26 Posted by bonbolapti (1599 posts) -

I acutally watched the movie before i finished reading the last two book.

I should have finished the books first, because I actually liked the ending of the movie a lot more. :(

#27 Posted by DukesT3 (1893 posts) -

Never read the comics but the movie looks pretty cool. I'll probably rent it when it comes out what? Sometime this month I think. 

#28 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I hate mr Cera, but Scott Pilgrim is one of my favorite movies ever ( yes, mock me! ) and it felt like one big geek trip to me!
Tried the game demo but meh, doesn't seem too special.

Planning on getting the comics tho, if I can find a store that sells em down here!

#29 Posted by JackSukeru (5906 posts) -

Game is alright, sorta overgrinded Scott when I wanted to see what Scott's Late Fees would get me so ended up going through the game Maxed out and on the hardest difficulty, which wasn't all that. Comic was alright, had some good parts. People discussing at lenght why it sucks have sort of turned me off further. Haven't seen the movie.

#30 Posted by spiceninja (3055 posts) -

I love the comics, movie, and the game.

#31 Posted by Romination (2776 posts) -

I only saw the movie. It was a ridiculously pandering, specifically-marketed movie that shoved in the Seinfeld theme song for no damn reason next to video game references every 3 seconds, especially when put next to some of the most annoying characters, like Ramona, a self-obsessed whiner who thinks she's the only person with problems, and Scott himself, who's a bit of a dick, and is not nice to the perfectly fine Knives Chau. 

But the fight scenes were so fucking good the movie gets 4/5 stars. SO FUCKING GOOD. The soundtrack for the game is great, too. Go check it, it's only $4 right now.

#32 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

I thought the movie was okay. I bought the game, and while I appreciate the look and music, beat 'em ups don't hold up all that well on your own. 

#33 Posted by Jamer91 (132 posts) -
@Durandir said:
" Loved the movie to bits, haven't read the comic yet, only tried the demo for the game.  In other words, I am a huge fan, just don't have enough money to experience it all so far. "
why dont you read them at your local Chapters, Indigo or Library?
#34 Posted by SirBlimE (167 posts) -

Loved the movie, Love the game and love the comics... fanboy much?

#35 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. It might be my favourite this year.

#36 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I think I hate everyone in this thread.

#37 Posted by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

Read the comics and really enjoyed them for what they were then followed with buying the game which is really awesome. It may not be everyone cup of tea but i found it to be really fun and had an awesome 8-bit soundtrack that no game has come close to being as great besides super meat boy. I watch the movie and also really enjoyed it and thought it was a lot of fun to watch. In the end i;m not some super scott pilgrim fanboy that goes yelling it the best thing out there. But i will say it just a really fun little series that does not take itself to serious and has a lot of cool nods to game culture.

#38 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

no interest whatsoever 

#39 Posted by Brodehouse (9600 posts) -

Scott Pilgrim at a glance seemed like a Mary Sue story.  A cool, attractive hipster guy gets with all these hot hipster ladies, beats up on the competition, and does other super cool things?  It feels like the last frame of the comic should be Scott Pilgrim deciding to write a comic book which everyone thinks is hella awesome.

Same thing with Y: The Last Man.  It's about an attractive hipster with no responsibilities, an incredibly attractive and intelligent girlfriend, super competent in anything he tries, and I guess he ends up being the last man alive on earth.

#40 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Loved the comic, though I wasn't particularly keen on the last chapter. Seems no one really knows how to wrap up a story. 

Liked the film, thought the ending was slightly better.

#41 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

Scott Pilgrim is fantastic.

#42 Posted by KoolAid (842 posts) -

I liked the movie and game, but I love the comics.  It's a coming of age story, but he's 23?  Crazy!  And the video game-ness kept it original and interesting.  I have yet to meet someone who disliked the comics.  The moive had some problems, notably that they tried to fit six books into 2 hours, so you lost a lot of the good stuff, most notably Knives and Ramona's character... 

It's funny how it seems that Cera was the opposite of a box office draw... a lot of people didn't give him a chance and he was pretty good.  Not great, but pretty good.

#43 Posted by emem (1961 posts) -

Loved the movie, haven't touched anything else and don't plan to, right now.. but the game looks pretty nice, too.

#44 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@HandsomeDead: We've all been there
#45 Posted by Dysnomia (689 posts) -

Loved the movie, loved the comics and I thought the game was pretty good. 

#46 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

Liked the comics, liked the game, tad disappointed by the movie.

#47 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -

Movie was OK. Would have been better without the kids. Playing the game now. Finding it bit mediocre. The comics are no doubt the best thing in Scott Pilgrim

#48 Posted by Jamer91 (132 posts) -

I didnt like Ramona in the movie at all :S. She was really mean and she never made you think "oh thats why he's fighting so hard for her". she was also way too sarcastic. It would have been funny once or twice, but it seemed like she was sarcastic throughout the entire movie and did not match the character from the comic at all.

#49 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

The game looks cool, but I have no interest in the movie.

#50 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

I find Scott Pilgrim quite boring