• 76 results
#51 Posted by Siphillis (1292 posts) -

Harmless fun.  Nothing more or less.

#52 Posted by Mister_Snig (592 posts) -

I don't really get the whole video game reference criticism. Having the film look like a fast-paced video game was a stylistic choice, and a great one at that. The references themselves weren't too bad either. Sure it felt like one or two of them were trying to hard, but for the most part they were subtle and tastefully done. The only reason they tend to jump out at us is because we're gamers and can pick up on that sort of thing easily. 

I thought the movie was great. The fight scenes were amazing, and the whole film was visually dense (which isn't a bad thing) in a way that I've never seen before. It did seem like the plot called for deeper characters though, and they never really spend much time fleshing Ramona, Scott, or their relationship, out very much. I haven't read the comics, but definitely plan on doing so. As for the game, it looks fine, but I'm kind of burnt out on beat-em-ups right now.

#53 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

Instant uninformed opinion: Hipster trash.

Actual opinion: Never heard of this until I saw a trailer for the movie. It looked awful, cringeworthy. I still remember that girl that said "this is epic" or something, and it made me facepalm.

#54 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1407 posts) -

I'm the biggest Scott Pilgrim fan of all time, got all the comics and watched the movie half a billion times. Totally worth it.

#55 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5261 posts) -

I loved the movie.

#56 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (898 posts) -
@Jamer91: Because finding any graphical novels at all in Norwegian libraries are rare. Normal comics are even rarer. Never heard of Chapters or Indigo, which means we don't have them at all. Norway is a small country, so we have some catching up to do when it comes to stuff like that.
#57 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

The books were alright, the game was fun, the movie..meh. 
#58 Edited by AngriGhandi (779 posts) -

I read the comics in anticipation of the movie (because Edgar Wright, goddamn), then saw the movie, then played the game.
Enjoyed the comics-- I feel they get better and better, up until book 3-- which is incredible-- but I was let down by the last three, more and more. The art style and storytelling became less uniquely Charlie Brown-endearing and way more slick, anime-inspired, and melodramatic. A lot to love there, sure, but mixed feelings overall.
Same goes for the movie, which did an incredible job visually, but was probably too slick and quip-driven for its own good, and ended up mostly missing the mark, character-wise-- maybe as a result.
Game seems great, almost shockingly reverential, but then again, I haven't finished it yet for some reason.
So basically, I love the idea of Scott Pilgrim, as a would-be indie multimedia juggernaut. But I don't love everything about it.
I probably feel the same way that Jeff has said he feels about The Matrix, come to think of it. Very love-hate, and oh, what could have been.
I really shouldn't even get started.

#59 Posted by Jamer91 (132 posts) -
@Durandir said:
" @Jamer91: Because finding any graphical novels at all in Norwegian libraries are rare. Normal comics are even rarer. Never heard of Chapters or Indigo, which means we don't have them at all. Norway is a small country, so we have some catching up to do when it comes to stuff like that. "
Have you tried looking it up online?
#60 Posted by lucas_kelly (769 posts) -

I hated the game, controls were way to clunky.

#61 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (898 posts) -
@Jamer91:
Oh, I can find it fine, but then there is the question about money. I cannot justify purchasing comics when I barely got money for food and gas. I will buy the comics some day though, as I really want them.
#62 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

Never read the comic or played the game so I'm going on my only interaction with the series: the movie. I thought the movie was awesome. I really enjoyed it to the point where I'm considering adding it to my very small dvd collection. The little video game aesthetics really were interesting whenever they did pop up. Alot of the set pieces and scenes were shot exceptionally well too. The scene that comes to mind is when the vegan ex-boyfriend levitates scott pilgrim into the air for the first time. The style of that shot was beautiful.

#63 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1869 posts) -

I'm gonna try see the movie tomorrow. the game is a lot of fun.

#64 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -

No interest in it, especially the movie.

#65 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I don't really know much about it, but it seems like something that appeals to 13 year olds with EPIC WIN and internet speak. 

#66 Posted by Jamer91 (132 posts) -
@Durandir said:
" @Jamer91: Oh, I can find it fine, but then there is the question about money. I cannot justify purchasing comics when I barely got money for food and gas. I will buy the comics some day though, as I really want them. "
no no I mean look to read it online. im sure you can find a website online that has the series and if you cant find it you can allways download it in a torrent. You can find almost every kind of comic on torrent websites for example I read every single darkness comics by using torrents and a comic book reader application on my computer. it may seem complicated but it really isnt. :)
#67 Edited by Jamer91 (132 posts) -
@Hourai said:

" I don't really know much about it, but it seems like something that appeals to 13 year olds with EPIC WIN and internet speak.  "

Its alot more then that.  I really think you should give it a shot and read the comic books. you will eather really love it or really hate it depending on what kind of person you are :)
#68 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@Jamer91 said:
" @Hourai said:

" I don't really know much about it, but it seems like something that appeals to 13 year olds with EPIC WIN and internet speak.  "

Its alot more then that.  I really think you should give it a shot and read the comic books. you will eather really love it or really hate it depending on what kind of person you are :) "
What more is there? It's references packed into an over-stylized two hours.
#69 Edited by Jamer91 (132 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:

" @Jamer91 said:

" @Hourai said:

Its alot more then that.  I really think you should give it a shot and read the comic books. you will eather really love it or really hate it depending on what kind of person you are :) "
What more is there? It's references packed into an over-stylized two hours. "
Im talking about the comic book not the movie. The movie is a lot more enjoyable when your relating it back to the comic books and you are more familiar with the characters. Without the ability to relate back to the comic book I can see how someone could come to the conclusion that it is over stylized and "trying too hard"  

If you want to know if you will like Scott Pilgrim I would suggest reading the comic books instead of seeing the movie
#70 Edited by SethPhotopoulos (5261 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:

" @Jamer91 said:

" @Hourai said:

It's a parody about hipsters and the way they act while not completely destroying them.  Scott is supposed to be a dick and Ramona is supposed to be defined by her ex because they are supposed to be shallow.   The most likable characters are the side characters who get used by these characters.  Ramona is the girl that you shouldn't get with because something bad will happen and Scott is that self-centered ass.  Shaun of the Dead had a lot of references to other Zombie films and other stuff outside of it and Hot Fuzz referenced a lot of other buddy cop films.  They aren't stylized because the stuff they are parodying didn't need it.   
There are a lot of references to hipster and gamer culture and it is really stylized and a lot of people hate it because of it but to be pissed that we like/love that is annoying. 

And the movie was the only thing I saw.
#71 Posted by LackLuster (718 posts) -

Movie was great, cera doesn't deserve all the hate he gets. Books are also great. Not a fan of that style of game though.

#72 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @HandsomeDead said:

" @Jamer91 said:

" @Hourai said:

It's a parody about hipsters and the way they act while not completely destroying them.  Scott is supposed to be a dick and Ramona is supposed to be defined by her ex because they are supposed to be shallow.   The most likable characters are the side characters who get used by these characters.  Ramona is the girl that you shouldn't get with because something bad will happen and Scott is that self-centered ass.  Shaun of the Dead had a lot of references to other Zombie films and other stuff outside of it and Hot Fuzz referenced a lot of other buddy cop films.  They aren't stylized because the stuff they are parodying didn't need it.   There are a lot of references to hipster and gamer culture and it is really stylized and a lot of people hate it because of it but to be pissed that we like/love that is annoying.  And the movie was the only thing I saw. "
There's absolutely nothing parodical about the film. Just saying Scott and Ramona are supposed to be unlikable sounds more like an excuse than anything and even if that is the case, then why do I want to watch a movie where the main character is a dick and still gets the hot girl? It's wish fulfillment for a generation of losers. Also, Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are pastiches of the genre films that have a story of their own while playing to the tropes of others, Scott Pilgrim is literally things taken from one context and put in another. The thing that annoys me with the fans is when they act like it's a classic that's underappreciated when it is just a string of references that pander to a small amount of people.
#73 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

"an epic of epic epicness" yep that sums the movie up to me. 

That's not in a good way, by the way.

#74 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (898 posts) -
@Jamer91 said:

no no I mean look to read it online. im sure you can find a website online that has the series and if you cant find it you can allways download it in a torrent. You can find almost every kind of comic on torrent websites for example I read every single darkness comics by using torrents and a comic book reader application on my computer. it may seem complicated but it really isnt. :) "
Yeah, I though that was what you meant, but my years of lurking on Facepunch has made me cautious talking about stuff like that on forums. There you get banned for hinting that you have or should pirate something. Which this is. 
I don't need to read it so bad that I will stoop that low. I don't see a problem with downloading old as hell comics, like I did with the first Spider-Man comics. But when it comes to new comics that are easy to get in stores even here in Norway, then it is just another form of pirating. 

If I had nothing else to spend my time on, then maybe. But with all the unfinished games I have, all the books I should read now that I started working in a bookstore, all the Italian I want to learn, all the webpages that must be read.... well, even if I could afford the comics, I don't think I would have time to read them right now :P 
What I am going to do as soon as it is possible though is to buy the movie. Don't think it hits the stores here in Norway till next year, so I got some time before that.
#75 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I thought the movie dragged on and got pretty boring, it wasn't that funny either.

#76 Posted by Tordah (2479 posts) -

The comics are really funny and great.

Saw the movie not too long ago, I was surprised by how closely it followed the comics considering all the insane crazy stuff that happens in it. Also liked it a lot.

No opinion on the game yet as I haven't played it.