Your Top 10 of 2009

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Red

Yes, two thousand fine is coming to a close, along with the rest of the decade. This means that the forums will inevitably be filled with a myriad of blogs of people listing their top 10s of the year. 
However, why not use the tools we have, namely the tools of making lists! 
In order to clean up the forums, I suggest that we all make up our top ten of 2009 list and post it on here, instead of making our own individual topics. 
I guess I'll start: 

Red's Top Ten of '09

List is currently in no particular order, and will probably be added to over the Holidays. 
Also: in order to be on this list, I have to had beaten it, which cuts off some truly spectacular games ('Splosion Man, Dragon Quest V) from the list because of my laziness.

1. Modern Warfare 2

I only got around to playing the first Modern Warfare this summer, and I absolutely loved it. The singleplayer was intense and cinematic, and the multiplayer was as addictive as all hell. Modern Warfare 2 took most everything I loved about CoD4 and improved it exponentially. Yeah, the campaign's story wasn't quite as plausible as CoD4's, but it was still action-packed and filled with myriad cinematic moments. However, the biggest improvement was in the multiplayer. By the time I got around to playing CoD4, I felt like I had missed it. Yeah, it was still a good experience, I just felt a little late to the party. Modern Warfare 2 added a slew of new and more interesting weapons, challenges, and more options. I've spent close to 40 hours playing Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer, and there's no end in sight. That, and the fact that Spec. Ops is just a fantastic co-op experience definitely make MW2 one of my favorite games of the year.

2. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Fire Emblem is one of my favorite franchises. Even though the stories, characters and difficulty may be uneven in the series, I can always count on a Fire Emblem game to provide an addictive, strategic and challenging experience. Shadow Dragon may be a port of a 20 year old game, but despite a story that's a little bit on the generic side, its age rarely shows.

3. Halo 3: ODST

If you were to ask me what I thought about Halo 3, I would just reply "trying too hard". Yes, it had a stellar multiplayer component, but I still prefer the more class-based styles of multiplayer over weapon-drop multiplayer. I just thought that Halo 3 was trying a little bit too hard to tie up the lose ends started by Halo 2, and having a bunch of repetitive vehicle sequences than it was focused on delivering an actual experience. ODST, on the other hand, was an experience. The striking dark atmosphere of the night missions, a protagonist who didn't create a disconnect from the player, and countless similarities to Firefly actually made me really like ODST. Oh, and there's Firefight, too.

4. inFAMOUS

I love super heroes. While yes, I may have never actually finished reading a comic book in my life, I still love super heroes. As someone who has played dozens of pen and paper Super Hero RPGs, InFamous actual captures the slow, turn-based interactivity of a pen and paper RPG, and actually brings it into a fast-paced action game. InFamous also threw in some great platforming, a gripping story, and some moral choices that were actually kind of difficult to make, even though they were still very traditional black and white decisions. All in all, InFamous is just one of those dream games that you'd think would be super cool if someone actually made and put effort into, except actually in real life.

5. Batman: Arkham Asylum

At first, I didn't really like Arkham Asylum that much. I thought it had clunky controls, weird animation, and some major plot holes (re: Batman not having all of his gadgets at the start of the game for no reason at all). However, by the time the Bane fight came around, I was hooked. Much like InFamous, Batman: Arkham Asylum made me feel like a super hero, but this time, it was my favorite super hero of all time. Even though it isn't always perfect, Arkham Asylum was a thrilling and atmospheric experience that I won't soon forget.

6. flower

Few games can spark the pure emotion that flower can. Yeah, it was a short game, and the second last chapter did nothing but piss me off and highlight the control oddities of the game, but it truly is a beautiful game. It's just a tranquil and entrancing experience, and is just one of those games that I'll always think of fondly.

7. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Uncharted 2 is a really, really, really good blockbuster game. It's got great action, memorable and well-acted characters, beautiful settings, and a cohesive story. I really liked the first Uncharted, and I didn't really mind its combat that much. However, Uncharted 2 took the giant leap of improvement that the franchise needed. You could actually hit people with grenades, stealth was a viable option, and enemies didn't soak up quite as many bullets as they did in the first game. Still, what really got me was the massive set-pieces it had. From leaping from truck to truck, train car to train car, and collapsing building to stable building, Uncharted 2 never had a dull moment, but still managed to maintain some fantastic pacing.

8. The Beatles: Rock Band

I really like the Beatles, and I really like Rock Band. Need I say more?

9. Canabalt

What? An iPhone game? But the iPhone isn't a legitimate gaming platform! You're right. You are very much right. But it can still have someone tap the screen to jump, while a very stylized man animates very well along a very stylized building. Even though it is a very basic game, it's as fun as all hell. The hours I have pumped into it trying to beat my high score (current record is 6476m) and its addictive format make it one of my favorite games of this year, and easily my favorite iPhone game.

10. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Yeah, it didn't come out this year, but it did come out in Europe this year, which kinda makes it still count! No point in talking about how incredible it is, because it's been already said by me, and countless other individuals whose opinions are much more valid than mine.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By SmasheControllers

Good List, but Uncharted should be higher.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 52

#3  Edited By tearhead
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By Red
@SmashedControllers: My list's order isn't particular, as I mentioned. 
I still haven't quite decided on my Game of the Year yet.
RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RobotHamster

1. Uncharted 2 
2. Batman: Arkham Asylum 
3. inFamous 
4. Demon's Soul 
5. Killzone 2 
6. Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time 
7. Resident Evil 5 
8. Assassins Creed 2  
9. Flower 
10. Modern Warfare 2 

Didn't play a few games that came out like Dragon Age, but I will be getting to them next year

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By asurastrike
@JJOR64 said:
" Here are my Top 10 games of the year in no particular order:

Street Fighter IV
Resident Evil 5
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
BlazBlue 
Pokemon Platinum
Dragon Quest V  Umm...... that's it really.  All the other games I bought this year were older games.  I did buy some other 09 games, but I don't want to put them on this list. "
I liked DQV until the third or so time that they forced me to play with new party members and grind XP so they were as strong as my main character.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JJOR64
@Asurastrike: It does seem like all DQ games make you grind at some point.  I had to do it in DQ IV as well, but it payed off at the end.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By asurastrike
@JJOR64 said:
" @Asurastrike: It does seem like all DQ games make you grind at some point.  I had to do it in DQ IV as well, but it payed off at the end. "
The grinding wasn't the problem, it was when they forced me to replace members of my party that I had used to grind previously, with new members that were low level. I'm talking specifically about

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JJOR64
@Asurastrike: True.  I haven't gotten that far yet, but I was bummed when Harry had to leave my party for good and I had leveled him up really high.  At least Dragon Quest IV didn't have that problem.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By asurastrike
@JJOR64 said:
" @Asurastrike: True.  I haven't gotten that far yet, but I was bummed when Harry had to leave my party for good and I had leveled him up really high.  At least Dragon Quest IV didn't have that problem. "
Stuff like that happens a lot in DQV.