Your top 10 (or so) games you're most looking forward to in 2012

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By RainVillain

I think 2012 is going to be a hell of a year. Here are the top 10 games I'm most looking forward to, and would love to hear about games y'all are looking forward to as well!

1. The Last Guardian -- Without a doubt, this is my most anticipated game. I bought a PS3 in anticipation of MGS4 (which mostly delivered), FFXIII (disappointed), Versus XIII (still waiting...) and Team ICO's next project. With Ueda only doing contract work and with sensational headlines coming out of Sony Japan fairly frequently, I'm perhaps a little doubtful that this will come out this year.. but dammit, a man can dream!!

2. Shin Megami Tensei Persona 5 -- Alright, technically not announced yet, but Persona Team has been hinting about a new game that everyone's been waiting for for years. Yeah, this could very well not be P5, but instead a different HD SMT game. That would be great as well, though Persona 5 is definitely what I'd want the most. Catherine was perhaps flawed.. but give me a similar level of presentation and audio/visual quality for P5 and we'll have something amazing.

3. Journey -- I loved Flower and everything I've seen from Journey looks even better. One of the most appealing aesthetics I've come across in a game since.. well, Shadow of the Colossus. Something about the look of this world really resonated with me.

4. Mass Effect 3 -- The Mass Effect universe is without a doubt my favourite Sci-Fi universe. Give me more of the same, but with larger environments and you have a strong contender for 2012 GOTY.

5. Tomb Raider -- As a hardcore Uncharted fan, I think its only fair for the cycle to come full circle: Tomb Raider (2012) seems to be lifting all the right elements from the Uncharted series (which in turn took most of its ideas from Tomb Raider!). Mix in a mysterious island setting with some survival elements and you have the ingredients for what could be the revival Lara always deserved.

6. Diablo III -- Not much to say here. I thought Torchlight was an excellent reminder of how great Diablo II was.. and while I'm excited about Torchlight 2, my anticipation for D3 is quite high! Also, infinite kudos to Blizzard for making their games Mac compatible.

7. Bioshock Infinite -- My hype level for this game is surprisingly contained... I suppose I simply feel very confident in Ken Levine and his team to deliver a fantastic experience. Like Portal 2 last year, I have little doubt that this game will be absolutely amazing, the only question is how amazing will it be?

8. Assassin's Creed 3 -- Again, not exactly announced yet, but anyone who's played Revelations knows that all the pieces are in perfect position for a new, fresh Assassin's Creed game. Maybe this'll come in 2013, but if Ubisoft is serious about annualizing this franchise (sadly), then this has probably been in the works for at least a year and a half now, as the B-teams focused on Brotherhood and Revelations. I expect a 50/50 split between contemporary setting (Montreal?!) and a new ancient setting. My money is on somewhere in Africa... Egypt, I think. I doubt the leap from AC2 to AC3 will be as drastic as AC1 to 2, but I think this series definitely needs a shake up. Revelations was a fantastic game.. but playing as Ezio is certainly getting monotonous.

9. The Last Of Us -- I think the team at Naughty Dog are the most talented people in the industry. I expect a class act out of The Last of Us.

10.Final Fantasy XIII-2 -- I thought Final Fantasy XIII was a train wreck. My expectations were very high going into it and as a result I was seriously disappointed by many, well established mistakes and decisions that Square made throughout that game. That said, I think several aspects of that first game are as good as any other title in the series! The soundtrack is phenomenal. The settings of Pulse and Cocoon are fresh and fantastical, the depth of the world mythology is intriguing and only touched upon by the game's end. Lightning, Sazh and Fang are badass, well designed and written characters. The combat system too is, while flawed and a little long in the tooth, a great change of pace. Given a second chance, I think Square Enix can make good on a lot of XIII's promises with XIII-2. I do have some reservations: the plot looks tepid, at most. And I find Noel and Serah to be pretty lame characters... I hope the final game can prove me wrong in both those categories though.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By Little_Socrates

I'm really looking forward to BioShock Infinite and SMT: Persona 5 (if it's actually coming out this year.) I'm also interested in hearing more about all the games you mentioned, but I can't actually say I'm especially looking forward to any of them.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By dagas

Mass Effect 3

Bioshock Infinite

Guild Wars 2

That's what I can think of. Persona 5 won't come out in EU until 2013-14 if ever and I can't think of any other game I'm really exited about right now. Not saying there aren't a bunch of great games coming out in 2012, just not anything I'm super exited about playing on day one.

Cky4890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Cky4890

I would like to see jow reckoning turns out mass effect i am not to sure about from what ive seen plus of what got leaked freaken ea man they screwed that series up

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By McBEEF

Mass Effect 3, Max Payne 3, The Darkness 2, Alan Wake (on PC).

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I'm looking forward to Persona 5 and Devil Survivor 2 most of all. I'm also interested in Final Fantasy XIII-2, but I haven't even played FFXIII yet.

Grand Knights History also looks like it will be interesting, same with Vanillaware's other title Dragon's Crown.

And I'm interested in some of the PSV's launch titles, but I'm not entirely sure I want to drop $300+ on one just yet.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

In no particular order:

• Darksiders 2 - Bloody adored the first and the notion of this expanding on the RPG aspects, with loot and stats and colour coding--FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!
  • Borderlands 2 - The original Borderlands is one of my favourite games of all time, so naturally I'm just a wee bit hyped for the sequel.
  • Kingdoms of Amalur - It all almost sounds impossible; the breadth of content of Skyrim with the combat of God of War? I have my expectations set accordingly that sacrifices must of surely be made towards the world--dull quest lines and I'm envisioning the world to not carry the same amount of depth to it as an Elder Scrolls--but the sheer combat alone mixed with all my beloved RPG stats and, again, colour-coded loot is enough to have me excited.
  • Mass Effect 3 - The marketing has been pretty poor thus far, which has admittedly put a bit of a damper towards my hype-levels for ME3, but I've invested so much in the first two games that nothing will shoot down my need to finish the trilogy.
  • Silent Hill: Downpour - This is Silent Hill's last chance, and to be honest I think it all looks pretty decent. A step up from Homecoming at the very least, and my love for the series to reach the same heights it did during the first three pushes me onward to hope for the series to not completely rot away.
  • Tales of Graces - I'm always up for a new Tales game, considering how rare they are to find over here in the UK.
  • Max Payne 3 - Rockstar's incredible marketing team have sold me on their latest yet again.
  • The Last of Us - Anything to do with Naughty Dog I can't not conjure some interest towards.
  • BioShock Infinite - Again, some outstanding marketing on Irrational's side. Plus messing around with the skylines looks really fun and I'm hoping that the story will dish out the same oompth as the original BioShock's did.

Honourable Mentions:

Also GTAV would easily rank on my top 10 if it was assured to release in 2012, which seems likely, but since there isn't even an estimate yet I'm keeping it on the bench for now.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By BeachThunder

Here's one I prepared earlier:

10 games I'm looking forward to the most in 2012

1. BioShock Infinite

Bioshock is one of my favourite games; I'm glad to see an actual Ken Levine 'sequel' to the original. Hopefully the story will throw a few curve balls; at the moment, I'm sensing that the game will take some familiar turns.

2. Quantum Conundrum

Looks like Portal 1, but with more fluffiness :D I'm actually really excited to see another Kim Swift puzzle game.

3. Far Cry 3

I really loved Far Cry 2; hopefully this takes what was great about 2 and work on ironing out some of its issues.

4. Borderlands 2

I was never really expecting a sequel to the original, but sure, I'm not complaining; I could always do with some more Borderlands...

5. Stasis

If Dead Space was a point and click adventure...

6. Botanicula

Looks adorable; hopefully it will be as good, if not, better than Machinarium.

7. The Witness

Hopefully this will end up as another well designed/clever/thought provoking puzzler, just like Braid was. I can't wait to check it out.

8. Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle

The Layton series is great, but things are definitely getting stagnant; hopefully Layton on the 3DS will revitalise the series a bit.

9. Prey 2

Even though it will be vastly different from the original, it still seems like it has the potential to be a great non-linear shooter.

10. Tomb Raider

I've never really cared about any of the Tomb Raider games, but this fresh start seems like it holds a lot of promise.

Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Packie

I'm really looking forward to Metro: Last Light, DOTA 2, Dishonored, Thief 4(Like fucking hell I'm calling it Thi4f), Bioshock: Infinite, Hitman: Absolution and The last of Us. and I'm avoiding any media concerning these games.

Cautiously optimistic towards Silent Hill: Downpor, Mass Effect 3, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and Ninja Theory's DMC.

Yeah, 2012 looks like it'd be a damn good year.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Capum15

Mass Effect 3 is basically it so far.

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

1- Borderlands 2
2- Mass Effect 3
3- Bioshock Infinite
4- Syndicate
5- Reckoning
6- Binary Domain
7- Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City
8- Lollipop Chainsaw
9- Spec Ops the Line
10- Prey 2

One and two are the only ones that are in a specific place and the last eight are equal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The only 2 games I care about as of now are Mass Effect 3 and F1 2012, I don't think there's anything else I will get day 1. Ask me again after E3.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

1. Darksiders 2

2. Bioshock Infinite

3. Guild Wars 2

4. Diablo 3

5. Mass Effect 3

After reading the developer interviews about Darksiders II and how they plan on improving the first (one of my favourite games of the last few years), I'm absolutely desperate to play it.

s810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By s810

2012 looks like its going to be another good year for vidya gaming, though it doesn't seem like they're going to stop the DLC scheme any time soon. Here's the ones I'm looking forward to, in alphabetical order:

• Anarchy Reigns - The truth is, I'll buy just about anything that Platinum Games puts out. This is their take on multiplayer brawlers like Power Stone. They're bringin' it back!
  • Armored Core V - This will be the first AC game I've played in a while, but it looks really awesome. Its a reboot to the franchise.
  • Asura's Wrath - Though this game seems to be a bit too focused on over-the-top cinematic scenes for my tastes, it does look very entertaining. I also love the art style and the mix of sci-fi and mythology.
  • Darksiders II - I need to get around to playing the first Darksiders before this is released, yeah?
  • DmC - Yeah, its not the Devil May Cry we all know and love, but I'm interested to see where this one goes.
  • Dragon's Dogma - An action (RPG?) adventure game by Capcom that seems to be much like Monster Hunter and can be compared to Shadow of the Colossus in some ways, in a medieval Western fantasy setting. You take on giant beasts such as chimeras, golems, griffins, hydras, dragons, etc. Consider me sold.
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - I'm a bit skeptical of this game, at first it seems to be a generic Action RPG but then it boasts an interesting combat system that could make exploring, questing and finding new loot very addicting. I'm just unsure how well it will be executed. Atleast it's pretty.
  • The Last Guardian - I have no doubt in my mind that this game will be amazing. Team Ico can do no wrong.
  • Lollipop Chainsaw - Another game where you hack and slash zombies - but wait! Its a Suda51 game, I'm down.
  • Metal Gear Revengeance - Hideo Kojima plus Platinum Games? Holy shit. That is all.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#15  Edited By Little_Socrates

Oh, shoot, totally forgot about Borderlands 2. I keep forgetting it exists, but every time I remember I really really want to play it, so I guess that goes on my list too.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Samaritan
  1. BioShock Infinite
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. Diablo III
  4. Borderlands 2
  5. Torchlight 2
  6. Mass Effect 3
  7. The Last of Us
  8. Luigi's Mansion 2
  9. DmC: Devil May Cry
  10. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Animasta

10, huh? I don't think I can make 10 right now :P

• Persona 5 (if it does come out)
  • SSX
  • Metro: Last Light
  • Crusader Kings 2
  • FFXIII-2
  • Prey 2
  • SMT: Devil Survivor 2
  • Far Cry 3 (maybe, that story trailer thing was pretty sweet)

I think that's it, most excited about CK2, Metro: Last Light and whatever Atlus does

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By ZenaxPure

Narrowing it down to only 10 items is pretty hard when I think of everything coming out. Apparently I didn't even realize stuff like Paper Mario was coming... That said this year is pretty much packed with RPGs I want to play (probably) so it will be an interesting year: 

• FF13-2: Not much to say, I've said a lot about it, just wish it would hurry up and come out.
  • Paper Mario 3DS: Looks like Paper Mario is going back to turn based where he belongs, couldn't be more excited now.
  • Thetrhythm Final Fantasy: Haters gonna hate, Elite Beat Agents was the shit and the FF music has always been amazing. I just hope it actually comes out in North America, only listed as JP atm
  • Persona 5: If that's really a thing
  • Xenoblade: North America sad times etc
  • Kingdom Hearts 3D: Sort of worried about this given how amazing the combat was in BBS and they seem to be moving away from that here, I guess we will see
  • Bioshock Infinite: Really digging the art style and setting of this game
  • Assassin's Creed 3: Assuming this is a real game and will actually be focused around Desmond I will be super excited
  • Prey 2: Not a real sequel to one of my favorite FPSes I know, but the whole thing about 1 human being on this planet far away from home sounds really sad and I want to see how that plays out
  • Final Fantasy type-0: This game has me nostalgic for PS1 era Final Fantasy games every time I watch something on it... Terrible world map returning aside something about it just feels like it comes from that era.
Gah, and that is 10 I suppose, there is still more stuff that I really want and for all I know this might not even be my top 10. It's just the first 10 things I thought of.
ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By ssj4raditz

Here, I made a list of what I'm looking forward to in 2012. There's almost thirty games on it... Too many! ARGH!!

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@McBEEF said:

Alan Wake (on PC).

Alan Wake is coming out for the PC? GET HYPE!
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Turambar

Final Fantasy XIII-2
Super Robot Wars Z2-2
Super Robot Wars Original Generations 2
Persona 5
Xenoblade
That new Fire Emblem game that will also never come out here in NA god damnit Nintendo.

EpicBenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 46

#22  Edited By EpicBenjamin

1: Halo 4

2: GTA V

3: Borderlands 2

4: Mass Effect 3

5: Hitman: Absolution

6: BioShock: Infinite

7: WoW: Mists of Pandaria

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By laserbolts

No the darkness 2 in this thread? I loved the first one and I hope the sequel keeps the awesome storytelling intact.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By benspyda

I can't say this year I'm super excited for anything in particular, unlike last year where I couldn't wait to get my hands on Skyrim, which is probably good because surprises like Arkham Asylum can come out of no where. At least I can't be disappointed by anything.

That said I really hope they don't stuff up Mass Effect 3, I loved Mass Effect 2, but the reception to what they have shown so far has been tepid at best.

I am also looking forward to Borderlands 2 for some fun shooting and Reckoning looks like it may be good.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Final Fantasy XIII-2 
Borderlands 2 
Mass Effect 3 
The Last of Us 
Journey 
Bioshock Infinite 
SSX 
Diablo III 
The Last Guardian 

Man, 2012's going to be fucking great.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SSValis

GTA 5, Halo 4, Mass Effect 3, Far Cry 3, Aliens, Bioshock, The Last of Us, The Last Guardian,Max Payne 3, and Assassins Creed.

Yea. 2012 doesn't look too bad.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By phrosnite
  1. Mass Effect 3
  2. Darksiders 2
  3. Tomb Raider
  4. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
  5. Relic's next 40k game
  6. Guild Wars 2
  7. Bioshock Infinite
  8. Far Cry 3
  9. Prototype 2
  10. Hitman Absolution
DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By DarthOrange

I made this a list a week ago.

There's a full top 12 on the link but I'll only put my top 3 here so I don't create too much clutter.

No Caption Provided
1. Twisted Metal
I have been eagerly awaiting this game since it was announced at e3. I love car combat and this looks like more than just a shallow and shoot game. If there is anyone that can bring back the genre, it's David Jaffe.
No Caption Provided
2. Lollipop Chainsaw
Sex, Blood and Rock & Roll. Nuff said.
No Caption Provided
3. Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!
The next Tales from Space game? Hell yea! Wait, I have to buy a $250 system and an over-priced memory card to play it? ah shit :(
H4rdc0rr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By H4rdc0rr

In no particular order...

01.) Syndicate

02.) SSX

03.) Mass Effect 3

04.) Max Payne 3

05.) Halo 4

06.) Assassin's Creed 3 (?)

07.) The Last of Us (?)

08.) The Last Guardian (???)

09.) Borderlands 2

10.) Darksiders 2

Plus about 20 other games that I have on my radar, but these 10 would have to be my most anticipated.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SuperWristBands

Dragon's Dogma
Asura's Wrath
Tales of Graces f
Guild Wars 2

That's all I can think of right now.

I'll be waiting for as long as it takes for PSO2 but I don't think an English version has even been announced yet.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@SuperWristBands: Is Asuras wrath a sequel or something?

1. Mass effect 3.

2. Last Guardian.

3. Ghost Recon.

4. Operation Racoon city. (Not sure if that actually comes out this year or not)

s810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By s810

: No, Asura's Wrath is a brand new IP.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jack268

1. SSX 
2. Wii U and whatever games it'll have  
3. All the 3DS games (RE: Revelations, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion, MH Tri G) 
4. MGS HD collection (Yep, Europeans don't have it yet. Get a sweet LE to compensate though.)

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By darkmoney52

Certainly great: Max Payne 3, Bioshock Infinite, GTA 5

Probably great: Diablo 3, The Darkness 2, Devil May Cry, Quantum Conundrum, Prey 2, Dishonored, Asura's Wrath, Dragon's Dogma

Maybe? : Mass Effect 3, Kingdoms of Armaleur

Almost certainly going to suck but I hope I'm wrong: Ninja Gaiden 3, Hitman Absolution