Your top 5 most under-rated games

Buccura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Buccura

There are many games out there that are hyped beyond belief, but there are many also that are not hyped, but are just as good or even surpass those games that get all the hype. What are 5 games that you think are such titles?

5: Thief: The Dark Project (PC)
A game that truly pioneered the stealth action genre. It had a unique medical/Victorian setting, an intriguing storyline featuring twists all about the place, a memorable protagonist and large, open ended missions. What it also introduced was the concept of darkness being measured depending on the brightness of the spot you were in, and therefore determined your visibility. This did this long before Splinter Cell.

4: Shenmue (Dreamcast)
Yeah yeah, we all know the sailors joke, and the poor voice quality. But underneath all the jokes is something very special for it's time. I still remember how blown away I was at the opening, at how much it felt like a movie (For the time that is). It had a great revenge driven storyline, but the gameplay was also unique for the time. Yes, it was slow paced, but it can be rewarding. Not to mention all the little things you can do on the side, like the arcade with real arcade games that the developer had made in the past. And for some reason, you also just had to keep wasting money on those damned capsule toys, even though they are totally useless.

3: Killer7 (Gamecube)
Admittedly, this game was not for everyone. The gameplay is a bit shallow yes, and sometimes very frustrating. However for those who played it, this introduced us into the strange mind of Suda 51, who most recently made No More Heroes on the Wii. It's surreal visuals and bizzar storyline made it easier to overlook the times when the gameplay gave up slack and kept you going. With 7 different personalities of one person, each with their own little ability and purpose, surrounding a politically charged storyline, this is something that will stay with you for a long time.

2: Beyond Good and Evil (PC, Gamecube, Play Station 2, Xbox)
A game that was hugely over looked. Why, I will never know. But all I know is that this game is one that did everything right. A great storyline, memorable characters, solid gameplay and plenty of things to do on the side. This game was available for EVERY platform at the time, and was even demonstrated in an IMAX theater! And yet, still most people over looked it. Some people don't know a gem when they see it.

1: System Shock 2 (PC)
I cannot stress enough how under-appreciated this game is. The precursor to Bioshock, this game was a perfect mix of First Person Shooting and Role Playing character development. This game is actually deeper than Bioshock is gameplay wise, as it relies more on stats and development rather than power ups. It also featured 4 player online co-op! It did this before Halo did, which would come out a few years later, and even then it wasn't online co-op. The main antagonist SHODAN is also delightfully nuts, and power hungry. This game just suffered from 3 problems. 1, guns broke down waaay too easily, the developers even admitted this in a retrospect. 2, it's short. So short that theoretically, if you are good, know exactly what to do, and how you want to develop your character, you can beat it in little more than an hour, or maybe less. And 3, the ending sucks, but I won't spoil it. Still, this game is one too many people have looked over.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Absurd

1.Grim Fandango
2.Monkey Island games
3. Max Payne 1&2
4.Counter Strike, I know this game is popular, but I've spent so many hours playing it.
5.Can't think of another

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By BlackWaterCO

1. Max Payne
2. Serious Sam
3. GUN
4. Soldier of Fortune II