Posted by rachelepithet (1392 posts) 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: Your Top Mario Bros. Game? (155 votes)

Mario Bros. 1%
Mario Bros. Special 0%
Super Mario Bros. 1%
Super Mario Bros. 2 USA 3%
Super Mario Bros. 2 The Lost Levels 1%
Super Mario Bros. 3 24%
Super Mario Bros. 4 Super Mario World 37%
Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island 3%
Super Mario Land 1%
Super Mario Land 2 6 Golden Coins 1%
Wario Land Super Mario Land 3 1%
Super Mario All-Stars & Super Mario World 7%
Punch Ball Mario Bros. 0%
Super Mario Bros. Special 0%
Mario Clash 0%
New Super Mario Bros. 0%
New Super Mario Bros. 2 0%
New Super Mario Bros. Wii 1%
New Super Mario Bros. U 1%
Vs. Super Mario Bros. 0%
Super Mario 3D Land 5%
Other - Donkey Kong; Peach; Yoshi's; Luigi; Wario 2%
None - I suck ass and like Supet Mario Sunshine or some shit. 13%

Get at it. P.S. Nuffin' stops All-Stars & World. Fools.

#1 Edited by Sanity (1950 posts) -

World by far, its still the best one in the series, voted for All Stars though as that was a awesome collection.

#2 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

2D? And not counting All Stars compilations (because that feels like cheating)? 3. It has to be 3. Has some of the best power-ups of any Mario game.

#3 Posted by TheHT (11680 posts) -

Mario 64

World and 3 were fantastic, and my sisters were all over those, but 64 was the one that really hooked me.

#4 Posted by Rafaelfc (1417 posts) -

Having New Super Mario 2 and not Mario 64 is kinda weird

#5 Posted by BeachThunder (12295 posts) -

I suck ass and like Supet Mario Sunshine or some shit.

What?

Anyway, Bowser's Inside Story is the only Mario game that I can say I've truly enjoyed.

#6 Posted by Deranged (1856 posts) -

Super Mario Bro's 3 by far with World coming in a close second.

#7 Posted by Ryuku_Ryosake (218 posts) -

I can't answer All-Stars because that is a total cop out. World is the true answer. It has the best music, the best secrets, and the cape is functionally the best power up.

3 is second since it is definitely a fantastic game just not as good as World in most cases. Plus it has the coolest power ups.

3D Land is my third. I feel like it is easily the best 3D Mario game but I missed the Galaxy games so I could be wrong on this one.

#8 Posted by Rays_Gaming_Rants (77 posts) -

All-Stars is a really great collection, even if Lost Levels make me want to punch a baby.

#9 Edited by JackSukeru (5949 posts) -

There's plenty of things I don't like about Sunshine but it is not a bad game by any means.

I guess I feel the same about World.

I probably like 3 or one of the Galaxy games the best, used to be really into the first New as well.

#10 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

I beat Mario 3 on a fuckin' NES a few nights ago. I love that game- but still think Super Mario World has the best feel of any of the other Mario games.

#11 Posted by BigJeffrey (5145 posts) -

#12 Posted by ShaggE (6636 posts) -

I was going to joke "What, no Clash?", but you totally added Clash. Well played.

#13 Posted by Chaser324 (6716 posts) -

I'm calling shenanigans! We're counting All-Stars as an option and ruling out the 3D games?

#14 Posted by ProfessorK (825 posts) -

3. Frankly if they stopped at world I wouldn't be upset at all.

#15 Posted by ajamafalous (12129 posts) -

I think Sunshine and World are probably the only two I can go back to and actually enjoy playing.

#16 Edited by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

Super Mario Bros 3 was my first game ever, but Super Mario World is likely my favorite in the series. I've always enjoyed the fans' rivalry between those two.

Also, I agree that it's pretty silly to include Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World on the list. That's easily the obvious answer.

#17 Edited by Vextroid (1427 posts) -

World. Most definitely.

#18 Posted by jsnyder82 (762 posts) -

I'm not entirely sure why you don't have Galaxy 1 or 2 up there, but Super Mario Galaxy 2 is what I would go with. It's the best game I've played this generation.

#19 Edited by Svenzon (728 posts) -

Mario World, for sure. Wario Land 3 is a close second.

#20 Edited by Hunter5024 (5905 posts) -

If I'm trying to be objective about it, I'd probably say World was better, but I had much more fun with 3d land than any other Mario game so I voted for that.

#21 Posted by jsnyder82 (762 posts) -

@hunter5024: Yeah, I beat 3D Land long ago. But I'm always getting back into it, because I'm always impressed at how smoothly it incorporated 3D into its levels. The level design in that game is fantastic.

#22 Posted by EchoEcho (836 posts) -

Putting All Stars on the list kind of breaks the poll. It's not a game; it's a collection of games, and gives people who enjoyed all the NES games (and World) an easy out without actually making a decision.

I really enjoy 3, World, and Yoshi's Island about the same, making it really difficult to choose. Mario Bros. 3 was the first game I ever personally owned; before that anything I played was at a friend's house. Yoshi's Island was just an amazing game and a very interesting diversion from the typical Mario gameplay, while still feeling like a Mario game at its core. But I probably put the most time into World out of the three, just due to it being the only SNES game I had for a long time (not to mention all the secret stuff to discover), so I guess I'll have to use that as the tie breaker.

#23 Posted by L33T_HAXOR (339 posts) -

64 isn't listed, so Mario World

#24 Posted by Stonyman65 (2822 posts) -

I would say either Super Mario Word or Super Mario Bros. 3. I had Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES, and then I got the All-Stars pack in with my SNES that had everything on it.

I have the fondest memories of Super Mario World, but Super Mario Bros. 3 was literally the first video game I've ever played so it has a special place in my heart.

#25 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Super Mario World or GTFO.

#26 Edited by rachelepithet (1392 posts) -

I wanted the poll to be exclusively about the mainline Mario Bros. series of 2D scrolling platformers, and not just games starring the brothers. So games like teaches typing are out, as well as Paper Mario, Dream Team, vs. DK, etc. I left one option for people who only like the 3D non-linear games (64, Galaxy, Sunshine). I consider 3D Land to really be a 2D game with polygonal graphics, like some recent Sonic games have been... it's really just a spiritual successor to game boy Mario Land, and plays so. I also left an option for non-Mario Bros. platformers built on the same gameplay engines like the original Doney Kong or Super Princess Peach, or sequels like Wario Land 2-4. Finally, I included All-Stars cause its basically significantly changed versions of the first three games running on the world engine and sound scheme. I've always loved those remixes best.

#27 Edited by Coafi (1490 posts) -

Super Mario World!

#28 Posted by Blargonaut (153 posts) -

Super Mario World definitely, but Mario Sunshine does not qualify as ass sucking.

#29 Posted by HoboZero (207 posts) -

No love for Mario 2? Multiple Characters! Gambling! Vegebles!

I will fight anyone who says there has been better music in a Mario game. Gypsy jazz version!

#30 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6002 posts) -

You should've kept the numbering scheme all the way up to present

#31 Posted by Brenderous (1107 posts) -

Galaxy 2.

#32 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2400 posts) -

Yoshi's Island

#33 Posted by Nightriff (5257 posts) -

Am I crazy or is there no option for Galaxy?

#34 Edited by Hunter5024 (5905 posts) -

@hunter5024: Yeah, I beat 3D Land long ago. But I'm always getting back into it, because I'm always impressed at how smoothly it incorporated 3D into its levels. The level design in that game is fantastic.

In the second half of the game especially. The things they do with shadow mario and time are impressively smart.

#35 Posted by JadeGL (947 posts) -

Super Mario Bros. 2 USA and it's not even close.

#36 Posted by CooVee (146 posts) -

Super Mario 64 is my Mario game, though the first Galaxy game is pretty close.

#37 Posted by mosespippy (4376 posts) -

I vote for District D, Fortune Street!

#38 Posted by Jerm411 (2 posts) -

Tempted to go with World but had to go with SMB3...still an incredible to this day.

Was for me personally the first "game changer" and a true turning point...

SMB2 is an all time underrated game BTW...

#39 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Super Mario Brothers 3 is my fav. SMW is an excellent game but something about it never quite endeared itself to me in the way the NES games did, I can't explain it.

#40 Posted by EsDeib (61 posts) -

SMB3 for the 2D games and Galaxy for 3D games. A lot of other games are pretty close, though. Galaxy 2, 3D Land, World, the first SMB... Some if the best games ever. I still think it's the best franchise out there.

#41 Posted by MonetaryDread (2135 posts) -

Its a toss up between Mario 64 and Galaxy 2.

If I am forced to pick a 2D Mario game then I vote for Super Mario World.

#42 Posted by MEATBALL (3398 posts) -

Galaxy 2 is fucking amazing.

#43 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Super Mario World is probably the greatest game ever made.

#44 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I didn't ever have a SNES so I pick SMB3. It's probably the one game I can definitively trace back to the start of my crippling gaming addiction--I mean hobby.

#45 Posted by Hamst3r (4555 posts) -

World is where it's at.

#46 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (950 posts) -

World, come on. Either Super Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario 3D Land is the second best and neither even come close.

Also props for including Super Mario Bros Special even though nobody would ever pick it due to a combined factor of being obscure and kind of shit.

Edit: Didn't notice the All-Stars + World option, that seems like a complete cop-out since it's just a compilation of the best Mario, the game a lot of people mistakenly call the best Mario, and a few other solid Mario games.

#47 Posted by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

I honestly think the game I have the most fondest memories of are for Super Mario Brothers 2 (USA version)

I don't think it's techincally the best game, but I probably played it more then any of the others.

#48 Posted by Xymox (2111 posts) -

Super Mario All-Stars & Super Mario World is the superior product because it contains SMB 3+World and the originals, with improved graphics.

However I still vote SMB 3 because I'm, as they say, an idiot. I don't know. I'm just overly biased towards SMB 3 and didn't really like what they did when they improved it graphically for the SNES, and I'm just not that into World.