• 47 results
Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Raven10

So IGN this week posted their list of top 100 shooters. Now I didn't make this thread to bash their list. I more wanted to see what you guys would list as your top shooters. I would bet most people don't have 100 they can list off hand so just list 5 or 10 or whatever you want. I'll start with my top 10:

10. Doom

9. FEAR

8. Call of Duty

7. Crysis

6. Bioshock Infinite

5. Half Life

4. Halo

3. Counter Strike

2. Bioshock

1. Half Life 2

EDIT: For those asking, IGN's list was only first person shooters although the list was titled "top shooters". So I listed only first person and only games that were fully about shooting. So no Portal or Gears of War or Uncharted. But, hey, it's your list so list what you want.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

BioShock 1

I'm out of answers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I can probably do a top 10...

10: Heretic

9: Gotham City Imposters

8: Perfect Dark

7: Counter Strike: Condition Zero

6: Call of Duty 4

5: Bioshock Infinite

4: Crysis 2

3: Borderlands

2: Unreal Tournament 2004

1: Doom / Doom 2 (I can't decide!)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I assume we're just talking about shooters from a first-person perspective. Anyway, this would probably be my list:

• 10. Prey
  • 9. Hard Reset
  • 8. Cryostasis
  • 7. Crysis
  • 6. Far Cry 2
  • 5. Half-Life 2: Episode 2
  • 4. Borderlands
  • 3. BioShock Infinite
  • 2. System Shock 2
  • 1. BioShock

BTW, I've excluded the Zeno Clash games and Mirror's Edge - they both do include shooting, but in such a very backseat way.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: I could never get Cryostasis to run well on my PC. Even on the lowest settings at 800 x 600 I would still get like 20 fps. Probably one of the worst optimized games in history.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By big_jon

I will name them by franchise because picking individual games is too hard.

1.Halo

2.Battlefield

3. Duke Nukem 3D

4. Half life 2

5. Cod 4

6. Team fortress 2

7. Bioshock

8. Perfect Dark

9. Unreal Championship

10. Far cry

This is a pretty general list but Halo and Battlefield are my favorite shooters by far, I have literally put in hundreds of thousands of kills into these games.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

Halo, Doom, Half-Life, FEAR, and Crysis.

Those are the games that came to mind, anyway, and I don't really have a particular order to put them in.

EDIT: Just in case you were wondering why I didn't put Metroid Prime up there, I don't really like calling it a shooter. I don't want to get into a debate over it, but I think that the emphasis on exploring, finding items, and learning about the world around you makes shooting a secondary part of the game. Oh, sure, there's lots of that in it, and it's there to liven things up and make the area you're in feel dangerous, but it's not the reason you're there.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a list of my favorite shooters here

thank you.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I will name them by franchise because picking individual games is too hard.

1.Halo

2.Battlefield

3. Duke Nukem 3D

4. Half life 2

5. Cod 4

6. Team fortress 2

7. Bioshock

8. Perfect Dark

9. Unreal Championship

10. Far cry

This is a pretty general list but Halo and Battlefield are my favorite shooters by far, I have literally put in hundreds of thousands of kills into these games.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Half-Life 2
  2. Others
RedLoopz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

C...C...CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS 2!!!!

im sorry it had to be done....

RedLoopz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

C...C...CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS 2!!!!

im sorry it had to be done....

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

1. Doom. It popularized the genre. There were many before it, but Doom is king. That and I have fond memories of dialing in to my favorite multi-node BBS for some 4 player deathmatch. And it was so easy to modify the game. Unpack a wad, replace assets, adjust numbers, repack. Level building? If you took a gradeschool CAD class, you could build levels in Doom.

2. Half-Life. It was cinematic before there was cinematic first person shooters. You were no longer going down a map of connected hallways, you were trying to get out of an underground facility. The AI didn't simply spawn and run towards you. Sure, Half-Life didn't age well, but when it came out, it was a notable leap when it came to first person shooters. And while games before Half-Life had mods, Half-Life was once again, king. Team Fortress. Counter-Strike. Day of Defeat.

3. Battlefield 1942. That Wake Island demo. Holy shit. Sure, Halo had Warthogs in 2001, but in 2002 BF 1942 gave us: fighter planes, bombers, tanks, jeeps, frigates, fuckin' air craft carriers. That you could move on the map. That you could take off from, land on, and sink. That you could parachute on to, steal an enemy plane, or better yet, attach explosives to enemy planes, hide, and blow up once they took off. Maps big enough where 64 players never felt cramped. AI soldiers for some lan-party comp-stomping. Mods!

4. Desert Combat Sure, it's a mod. But when every first person shooter of the time was World War 2, Desert Combat put us into the modern era. This mod alone probably sold more 1942 expansions than EA ever could by itself. All of my PC gaming buddies own every expansion for 1942, but we couldn't tell you what they were like; only that we needed them for the next version of Desert Combat. Maps were huge - you could fly a jet in a straight line for more than five seconds before going out of bounds! Helicopters were incredibly difficult to learn, but mastering one was incredibly rewarding. An AC-130! One that you needed multiple gunners to man. One that you needed a pilot to fly. There was a sense of scale to Desert Combat games that no game has touched since.

5. Half-Life 2. Again, this game didn't age well. However, it was another leap forward in the FPS genre when it came to tech. Characters whose mouths were lip-sync'ed through software and not through hand-animation. The gravity gun. Ravenholm! Environmental physics! Pick up that can!

6. Halo. While every FPS of the time focused on team versus team and deathmatch, Halo brought us a cooperative experience as well. A coop experience that felt solid, balanced, and fun. I don't care for Halo's multiplayer, but whenever a new Halo comes out, I'm always down to play some coop.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I top out at 9 off the top of my head. Feels like I should have 10. But then, I don't like some of the other big named ones at all.

• America's Army: While being rumored to be a recruiting tool for the US Army, as a Swedish teenager what was more important at the time was that it was a multiplayer shooter for free. And a pretty fun one at that. The tactical aspect of the game, along with it's introduction being in class rooms and shooting ranges, it felt like you were almost role playing your part. And encounters were always tense due to the instant death.
  • DOOM: Possibly one of the first FPS I ever played. As I wasn't a PC gamer initially, a lot of the big PC shooters went by me when they were actually relevant. I do remember playing it on PC at some point, but I also remember sitting in a house in the woods at a friend's place with two connected Playstations and two separate tv:s playing linked one on one deathmatch.
  • Duke Nukem 3D: This one was one of those games everyone was talking about at one point. The one liners, the hidden nudity, the strippers, the shitting down the throat. It was all juvenile and we were all young enough to think that was really cool. Reality of it though was that I don't think the gameplay was ever something you talked about. But it had a special place and time.
  • Quake: As noted, I was never quite the PC gamer when I was younger. But Quake was a game you just didn't miss. Your friend had it, or a friend of a friend did. Or, it was simply installed on every connected computer at your school and everyone was playing death match on the breaks. Also, who can forget rocket jump and custom character skins.
  • Syndicate: I remember Syndicate Wars on the Playstation back in the day, actually, all I really remember is the isometric view and a lady saying "Minigun" translated into Swedish, which was ridiculous. As a game that actually made a piss poor first impression with the multiplayer demo, hearing it was not all that bad got me to get it when it was cheaper. To my surprise, I really was digging the game and it's setting a whole lot more. And by the time the game was over, I was really pleased with my time with the game and it's mechanics that at times made you feel like a real super soldier. I wish they made more.
  • Borderlands (Franchise): Possibly the most co-op fun I've had over the years with my brother. Playing through the Borderlands franchise universe has been a real treat. The crazy guns, the characters and humor has been entertaining for hours on end. The only downside Borderlands ever had, was playing new game plus and having to plough through the opening parts that take forever.
  • Battlefield 2: My first real time sink when it came to multiplayer shooters. I spent hours on end staring at my computer screen shooting dudes in this game. I loved sniping from ways off, being in the midst of combat or flying above with a bunch of people in a helicopter. The size of the maps was sometimes a pain but for the most part really awe inspiring when you were doing your best hiding in some bushes on some ledge trying to outflank your opponents. Oh the memories.
  • Call Of Duty (Franchise): I've been playing this one since the beginning, up right until Black Ops 2. I've always liked their roller coaster campaign styles and multiplayer has always been really solid. It's one of the few franchise I've played that I've also felt has not really dropped the ball on quality. Sure some of those early console off-shoots didn't sound too hot but I never got around to playing those anyway, so I guess I'm well off there.
  • Deus EX: Human Revolution: The game that got me researching human augmentation and biotechnology. The game manages to create a well realized world that I just got so lost in. And the overall implications on the story and how it related to the world around me at large really made me take a step back and contemplate things I had not before done. It didn't hurt that the game was a lot of fun to play and while some boss encounters were not perfectly balanced for every play style, it was a minor thing in the grand scheme of things.
Avatar image for deactivated-59f6ef1aee50b
deactivated-59f6ef1aee50b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a top 5:

1. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. COP

2. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SOC

3. Half life 2

4. Timesplitters 2

5. F.E.A.R. (the first one)

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Halo 3

2. Halo 2

3. Call Of Duty 4

4. Battlefield 2

5. Battlefield 3

There's my top 5. I should specify that it's my "Top 5 multiplayer shooters"

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Whitestripes09

1. Halo

2. COD 4

3. Battlefield 2

4. Half Life

5. Fear

6. Rainbow Six Vegas

That's all I can really think of right now... I have a feeling many people will hate me for putting Vegas up there, but I had a lot of good memories with that game and in my opinion it's the only game that ever got a cover system done right in an FPS

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven10 said:

@beachthunder: I could never get Cryostasis to run well on my PC. Even on the lowest settings at 800 x 600 I would still get like 20 fps. Probably one of the worst optimized games in history.

>_< Yep, when I first played it, I played it on the lowest settings at 800 x 600. It has terrible optimisation, but disregarding that, it's a fantastic game.

Avatar image for deactivated-59f6ef1aee50b
deactivated-59f6ef1aee50b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitestripes09: Nobody will hate you for that:) its your list. Your top shooters;)

34f3ecwdc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Mass Effect 3

2. Mass Effect 2

3. Mass Effect 3

4. Metro Last Light

5. Deus Ex Human Revolution

6. Resident Evil 6

7. Borderlands 2

8. Battlefield 3

9. Crysis 2

10. Bioshock Infinite

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven10 said:

>_< Yep, when I first played it, I played it on the lowest settings at 800 x 600. It has terrible optimisation, but disregarding that, it's a fantastic game.

It plays fine on moderate hardware these days though.

-

I guess mine would be something like

1: Half Life 2

2: Metro 2033

3: Stalker CoP

4: Cryostasis

5: Arma 2

None of them are in there for their shooting either.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

@beachthunder said:

@raven10 said:

It plays fine on moderate hardware these days though.

It does, I replayed it not too long ago; although, there are a still a few parts where the frame rate still hitches for seemingly no reason =/

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

1. E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy
  2. Metro 2033
  3. Stalker: Call of Pripyat
  4. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  5. HL2
  6. L4D2

I guess? I don't know.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Besides the "Classics" I would also mention "No one lives forever 2", man I really like this game.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Halo: CE
  2. Crysis
  3. CoD4
  4. Half-Life 2
  5. Far Cry 3
  6. Killzone 3
  7. Crysis 2
  8. Far Cry 2
  9. Killzone 2
  10. F.E.A.R.

Not necessarily in that order since I have a hard time choosing one over another.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2. Crysis
  3. CoD4
  4. Half-Life 2
  5. Far Cry 3
  6. Killzone 3
  7. Crysis 2
  8. Far Cry 2
  9. Killzone 2
  10. F.E.A.R.

Not necessarily in that order since I have a hard time choosing one over another.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Counter-Strike (franchise)

2. Call of Duty (all of them except the last)

3. Crysis (franchise)

4. Wolfenstein (franchise)

5. Battlefield Bad Company 2

6. Far Cry 3

7. L4D2

8. Medal of Honor (franchise)

9. Bioshock (franchise)

10. TF2

Yeah, I'm more of a fan of contemporary shooters.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By DharmaBum
  2. Gears of War
  3. Max Payne
  4. GoldenEye
  5. Far Cry 2
bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Halo
  • Max Payne
  • Perfect Dark
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Call Of Duty (MW/MW2)
  • Gears Of War
  • Team Fortress 2

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

• Unreal Tournament 2004
  • Unreal Tournament III
  • Unreal Championship 2
  • Modern Warfare 2
  • Blacklight: Retribution
  • Halo 1 & 4
RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Orange Box (specifically Half Life 2 complete and TF2), Half Life 1, Bioshock Infinite, Uncharted 2, Max Payne (all of them), Vanquish, Resident Evil 4.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By pr1mus
  • Perfect Dark (N64)
  • Half-Life 2 and its episodes.
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Counter-Strike: Source
  • Call of Duty 4
  • Max Payne (All of them)
  • Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

These are shooters i like a lot.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Raven10

@beachthunder: How modern are we talking? On my 560 ti I could still never get a solid framerate at anything above low settings. Haven't played it in a while but when I got my 560 ti a couple years ago I re-installed the game thinking I could finally play it after having a Radeon card before, but I still couldn't manage a great framerate despite the card being like 4 generations beyond the recommended specs.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven10 said:

@beachthunder: How modern are we talking? On my 560 ti I could still never get a solid framerate at anything above low settings. Haven't played it in a while but when I got my 560 ti a couple years ago I re-installed the game thinking I could finally play it after having a Radeon card before, but I still couldn't manage a great framerate despite the card being like 4 generations beyond the recommended specs.

Hm, interesting, I played it on my 570 and for the most part it was fine. Are you running at a high resolution?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Do they have to be first person? If not then in no particular order:

• Uncharted 3 (multiplayer)
  • The Last of Us (multiplayer)
  • Bioshock
  • MAG
  • Resistance 3

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Mass Effect 3

2. Mass Effect 2

3. Mass Effect 3

You. I like you.

34f3ecwdc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkhan: you made me laugh a little bit, now I like you too.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bemusedchunk

Quake 1 (because of mods like TF).

Quake 2 due to online co-op and community made maps/mods.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quake 1 (because of mods like TF).

Quake 2 due to online co-op and community made maps/mods.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Raven10

@beachthunder: I started at 1080p and then dropped down to 720p and still wasn't getting great framerates so I honestly never beat the game. Performance was so bad that I just wasn't enjoying it.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: I started at 1080p and then dropped down to 720p and still wasn't getting great framerates so I honestly never beat the game. Performance was so bad that I just wasn't enjoying it.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven10 said:

Hm, interesting, I played it on my 570 and for the most part it was fine. Are you running at a high resolution?

I played it on a 6870 and an AMD 955 and it ran fine... Not sure why you couldnt get it done.

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe I play too many fps's, 93/100 of the list

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe I play too many fps's, 93/100 of the list

Okay, I have to know, which seven haven't you played?

I'm only at 22/100.