#1 Edited by Nottle (1915 posts) -

A lot of the time I play games through good word of mouth, or perhaps the cult following a game may have. After all just because a game doesn't sell great or get eights, nines or tens doesn't mean it is not worth playing. I honestly wouldn't have picked up some great PS2 games like Shadow of Rome, and the Onimusha games, or some of my favorite games like GodHand and Vanquish if it weren't for good word of mouth from fans of those games.

That is why I want to ask the question: if you could recommend one game to us all, what game would it be? Maybe the game is one of your favorites, maybe it just does something interesting, maybe you think it doesn't gets the recognition it deserves. Hopefully it is something that is easy to get and not something everyone has played. But really it can be whatever you think needs to be played by more people. And if something has been mentioned already say yeah that game plus something else you like. Go Crazy recommend stuff like Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden or Abobo's Big Adventure or whatever I don't care I just want to hear what's out there.

EDIT: I just want to hear people talk about a variety of games, if you want to talk about more than 1 game or a game that has already been mentioned be my guest.

My recommendation would be the Mother games, they have a cult following but haven't taken the world by storm mainly because Earthbound was the only game released here. But Mother 2 and 3 have such a charm and quirk in the writing, and the characters/ enemy design. The gameplay is fairly simplistic and so are the main characters until 3. The simplicity is probably to its benefit, that way you aren't sitting though long cutscenes or wondering why does that character have so many zippers. But still there is something so strange about the games that I just love. Earthbound probably has the most Beatles references out side of Beatles Rockband, Why? Because Itoi is a big Beatles fan, so big a fan he named the series after a John Lennon song. I think the the whole Japanese America aspect of it is amusing and it is one of the few times that kids are the protagonists of a JRPG and it doesn't seem stupid. Maybe it's because Mother 3 would be a good studio Ghibli movie. The humor I find great It is worth mentioning the music is fantastic, plagiarized, but fantastic. How many games give you bat enemies that have battle themes that sample the 60's Batman theme? Only 1 I can think of.

#2 Posted by TinoXtreme (300 posts) -

I would say Shenmue for Dreamcast. I want a third one damnit! Sega make it happen now.

#3 Posted by Redbullet685 (6047 posts) -

I would recommend Bioshock. It has some of the best story telling and one of, if not the best, twists in any videogame I've ever played. I also believe the gunplay is good (though it was much better in 2) and the setting is fantastic. In simpler words: Bioshock is my favorite game ever and I think everyone at all interested in games should play it.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (11995 posts) -

Mother Thr...oh, uh, I guess I'll pick something else then.

I would say Cryostasis, simply because it's something that I think a lot of people seem to have overlooked. It has fantastic storytelling and some really unique moments. Unfortunately there are a lot of technical issues; regardless, I would still recommend it even if you have to play on all minimum settings with the lowest resolution. Also, it was just recently added on GOG for $10 =D

#5 Posted by IBurningStar (2173 posts) -

Siren: Blood Curse. Probably the best horror game on any console. Seriously.

#6 Posted by FLStyle (4730 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 2.

A game that was so far ahead of it's time as a piece of art, a lot of Kojima's thoughts and concepts on human society, the internet, AI and control were buried under gamey complaints about the lack of Solid Snake playtime and the cut-scenes overshadowing the gameplay. I'll take a thought-provoking "interactive movie" over the majority of pop-culture games any day.

Special mention to Mass Effect 2 and Assassin's Creed II.

#9 Posted by N7 (3590 posts) -
@FLStyle said:

Metal Gear Solid 2.

A game that was so far ahead of it's time as a piece of art, a lot of Kojima's thoughts and concepts on human society, the internet, AI and control were buried under gamey complaints about the lack of Solid Snake playtime and the cut-scenes overshadowing the gameplay. I'll take a thought-provoking "interactive movie" over the majority of pop-culture games any day.

Are you... Are you me?
#10 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2722 posts) -
@Village_Guy:  

You're a good man.
#11 Posted by liquidmatt (230 posts) -

@N7 said:

@FLStyle said:

Metal Gear Solid 2.

Are you... Are you me?

He's also me!

#12 Edited by FLStyle (4730 posts) -

@liquidmatt said:

@N7 said:

@FLStyle said:

Metal Gear Solid 2.

Are you... Are you me?

He's also me!

My name is Legion: for we are many.
#13 Edited by katemarion (1 posts) -

Hi Guys,

I recommended the mother game because in my opinion it is very different from all video games. It has new properties.

#14 Posted by Brodehouse (9976 posts) -

Bastion.

It's both simple and deep, it plays extremely well, and you can let anyone play it without worrying that they'll get offended by something.

#15 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3485 posts) -
#16 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

Omega Boost was a pretty cool PS1 game. Metroid Prime is still the best looking game I've ever played (seriously, the Gamecube did that!?), and Super Metroid is still my favorite game of all time.

Also Portal 2, if you haven't played it yet. Everyone should play Portal 2 in the same way that everyone should watch all three Back To The Future movies in a row at least once.

And, on a final note, any Sonic fan should have long since played Sonic Rush by now. Sure, his console games suck ass, but Sonic has some good handheld games.

#17 Posted by Masha2932 (1241 posts) -

Sorry, I went overboard. You only asked for one game. As of this writing I guess that game would be The Warriors on PS2. I'll leave my other recommendations incase anyone is interested plus I wrote a lot, I'm not deleting it.

NB: All my other recommendations are in the spoiler block.

PS3/XBOX360

Bioshock 2.

Rapture was still engaging a second time through. Many people seemed to ignore the sequel deriding it for being an un-needed sequel but the gun play was much better and playing as a big daddy was really fun. Plus the story stands out on its own. Check it out if you haven't it's a great 12-15 hr game.

Driver San Francisco

Ubisoft haven't officially released any sales data for the game so I'm not sure how it did, but if you haven't checked it out you definitely should. The single player campaign had a fun story that followed Detective Tanner through his fumbles with his new found powers- shifting. The 'shift' mechanic is really believable in the game's universe story wise but it excels in the gameplay department. Being able to shift from car to car changes the dynamic of chase sequences and race events. Shifting ahead of your opponent into a car on the opposite side of the road, ramming into them then shifting back into your car to win a race is always fun. Special note should also be given to the game's multiplayer, especially the trailblazer and tag events-ramming into each other by shifting all over the place is so much fun in multiplayer even with random players.

Other games:

• Split/second- explosive racing fun
  • Prince of Persia(08)- Beautiful open world game. Hopefully we get a sequel.
  • Saboteur- Pandemic's last hurrah. A flawed gem, but a beautiful one.

PS2

Spiderman 2

The upcoming amazing spiderman looks promising but the short development time and developer history makes me apprehensive. While we're waiting to see how the game turns out(good I hope) I suggest you check out Spiderman 2. One of the very few spiderman games to get the feeling of swinging through the city right, if not the only one. If you look at videos of the game now it looks crap, don't worry it's looks weren't revolutionary at the time either. Ignore the game's bland visuals and rush through the boring movie inspired story mode and just swing around completing side missions, rescuing balloons and speeding through the city. Spiderman 2 gave you complete control over your swinging and you could intuitively transition from swinging to wall running to pole swinging without breaking a sweat.

War of the monsters

With the new Godzilla movie expecting sometime this year or early 2013, you might be hankering for some giant monster gaming. Well look no further than War of the monsters, one of Incognito entertainment's last games before they split to form lightbox and eat sleep play. Developer issues aside, this game was great. It has a 50s B monster movie aesthetic complete with movie theatre menus and black and white cutscenes. The game was basically a 3D Brawler and you played as any of eight monsters from a King Kong inspired ape to giant robots. The game placed you in various destructible environments to fight other monsters. I had so much fun with my cousin as we start out in a pristine city before ending the match to see the whole city torn down. The game also had dynamic splitscreen allowing you to roam freely around the environments getting pick ups to hurl at your opponent.

Other games:

• SOS: Final escape/Disaster report- Very interesting earthquake survival game.
  • Hulk Ultimate destruction- Remedy basically copied this when they made prototype. Fun chaotic open world game with the big green guy
  • Psi-ops: The mindgate conspiracy- great range of powers in this game from telekinesis to mind control.
  • King Kong- Michel Ancel works his magic on a movie tie in. It's a bit short though
  • The Warriors- One of the best singleplayer brawlers on the PS2 with Rockstar's trademark wit and reverence for the source material. Splitcreen for two players as well.

NB: Man, the PS2 was a great console. So many good games. Also why hasn't anyone made a good Avatar the last airbender game? Bending the elements seems so natural in a game world. The TV series' story basically follows the general upgrade path of a game character as Aang slowly masters the elements and the guys' adventures would make for a fun RPG.

Earth Bending is my favourite in case anyone was curious.

#18 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

A friend of mine got both is mom and dad hooked on Skyrim, I mean each with over a hundred hours of play time hooked, and neither of them were gamers. I personally have issues with the game, but that's a serious testament to its power.

#19 Posted by RedCream (705 posts) -
#20 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5834 posts) -

Killer7, because it's the craziest game ever made and as far as I know, there's nothing else like it out there.

#21 Posted by Hairy_Fish (366 posts) -
#22 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

I guess Fallout: New Vegas, if only because I've spent so many hours playing it and just talking about it makes me wanna go create a new character!

#23 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Buy Infinite Space RIGHT NOW!!! It is becoming more and more rare with each day online and in stores. It has a great story very interesting and hard gameplay and should have gotten more attention than it should have.

I will recommend more, but since I just got up. I gotta take a shower.

I'll be back...
#24 Posted by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

Fallout 3. It's just one of those magical things in the world that everyone should experience. I've played that game through 3 times now and each play-through was better then the last.

#25 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11806 posts) -

Well, if my past work of evangelizing is any indication, I think the answer has to be Temple of Elemental Evil. Not only did I write about that game twice, but I gave it away on this website several times including to two of the more prolific writers in this community... who also wrote about it several times. Sure, you guys can promote your well-known "obscure" games and your Metal Gear Solid 2s but only one game allows you to perform trip attacks with a spiked chain in the context of sadistic turn-based combat.

#26 Posted by VoshiNova (1694 posts) -
#27 Posted by Animasta (14698 posts) -

Nier has the best story of any game, best storytelling, fantastic characters, it is the saddest game, it's basically my favorite game of all time

#28 Edited by Jeust (10680 posts) -

Alan Wake, as it is a game with a superb story, great characters and solid gameplay. It is an awesome game altogether.

#29 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

@liquidmatt said:

@N7 said:

@FLStyle said:

Metal Gear Solid 2.

Are you... Are you me?

He's also me!

My name is Legion: for we are many.

Great, now we are all part of Dead Cell, because MGS2 is my 2nd favorite game ever.

@Masha2932: @BeachThunder: Perhaps those rules shouldn't be there. I don't really care about how many games you talk about. I just wanted more than the name of the game, I wanted people to talk about something engaging. I would have never played God Hand if it wasn't for people saying that it had a lot of weird humor or if they didn't talk about the Hakuto No Ken style of combat it had that made it one of the few great modern beat em ups. If you feel like saying something about Mother 3 go for it. I just didn't want 10 people saying "HAS ANYONE PLAYED A LITTLE GAME CALLED CALL OF CTHULU!" Support a game that you think needs to be mentioned, but be original and make the game sound interesting.

#30 Edited by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

Lost Odyssey.

It'll make you cry like a little girl.

But seriously, if you loved old School JRPG's like Final Fantasy from VI-10, or Shadow Hearts, or similar games.

You owe it to yourself to play this game.

One of those games where you can feel that the ppl who made it, put everything they had into it, a labor of love, and True Masterpice.

#31 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

The Witcher

#32 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

The Warriors on PS2 or Punch Out! on the Wii. Both are fun as hell!

#33 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

If you don't like Burnout Paradise you are either a bad person, or very uncool.

#34 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

NBA Jam Tournament Edition

#35 Edited by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

If you don't like Burnout Paradise you are either a bad person, or very uncool.

The open world aspect of that game just ruined it for me.

And i love Midnight Club, before you even go there.

But, that's just not what i want in a Burnout game.

If they do another one, i hope they go back to closed tracks, with shortcuts.

#36 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1546 posts) -

Max Payne 2. Just finished it again this morning and I'm the kind of person who can barely play a game to completion once let alone multiple times. It holds up surprisingly well, looks great with 16x AA too. Engine has some minor problems with high FPS though. I've had Vinnie stuck just walking in place until I knocked the FPS down with FRAPs.

#37 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise

#38 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -

@BPRJCTX: I actually finished Lost Odyssey two days ago, and it is pretty good. Kaim, Seth, Ming and Jansen are all great characters but the others are either too bland or come in a little too late like Tolten or Sed. Those Thousand years of Dream segments are interesting, some really did stick with me.

#39 Posted by CornBREDX (5402 posts) -

Game that is under rated and makes threads die cus no one seems to have played it- Ghosthunter

Unfortunately its on PS2 (tad old now) and failed so I doubt we'll see a re-release (HDified or otherwise) but I found the game to be fantastic. Only downside is the end feels unfinished as it has some audio missing.

Game is fine otherwise and one of my Favorite PS2 games.

#40 Posted by EuanDewar (4973 posts) -

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines is fucking siiiiiick

#41 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Oh man either the best horror game in a while, Amnesia or one of the best games ever PERIOD, Grim Fandango. There are a lot but those are the two that more mainstream players may not know of. They're so fucking great, you guys.

#42 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@BPRJCTX: I stand by my statement.

#43 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I would recommend Ikaruga for the Dreamcast and Gamecube because it has the most badass gameplay and level design of any 2D shooter I've ever played. It's also goddamned hard, and I always like to throw an old school challenge out there.

#44 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

I'd recommend Snatcher. It's like a cultural sake bomb - a shot of straight Metal Gear dropped in a glass of frosty Blade Runner.

#45 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6230 posts) -

The Suikoden series. I know the first game doesn't hold up particularly well, but I think 2, 3, and 5 are marvelous and 4 is a guilty pleasure. That's the second time I've brought up the series today. Hm.

On a side note, I feel kind of bad. I've recommended Dead Island to bunches of friends, and of everyone I know personally who played, I'm the only one that deeply enjoyed it.