• 100 results
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By demontium

Or it needs to be severely toned down, because people abuse it. Every time people don't like the video, they call it youtube spam, they report it, and the topic gets closed right away. But no one reports a topic were they like the video. 

Look, even if there is only a one sentence description, as long as there is a description that isnt: "this video is funny" it shouldn't be deleted or locked. Also, if the description follows the video because it needs to be explained chronologically in that order to make sense or work, DO NOT delete it or lock it. Similarly, if they edit in a description after being warned, dont close the topic.

However, if there is no description, or the description provided is meaningless, delete it.  

Examples:
  Abuse of youtube spam rule (also: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/my-top-11-games/438803/)

Legit youtube spam 

Let's tone this crazy rule done, ya?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Maybe we should have a general "Youtube" thread?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

I don't see anything wrong with the rules we have. It prevents a metric fuck ton of unnecessary threads.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lemoncookie01
@Axxol said:
" I don't see anything wrong with the rules we have. It prevents a metric fuck ton of unnecessary threads. "
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince
@FluxWaveZ said:
" Maybe we should have a general "Youtube" thread? "
This works. However, spam is spam, so I mostly disagree with the topic god.
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By one_2nd
@Axxol said:
" I don't see anything wrong with the rules we have. It prevents a metric fuck ton of unnecessary threads. "
This. There shouldn't be a new thread every time someone sees something funny on youtube. 
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By meteora

A YouTube spam is when a topic gets created with bare minimal sentences, probably less than a paragraph. The lack of writing qualifies as a YouTube spam; because there isn't anything productive that comes out of the thread.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By bonbolapti

no youtube spam is the best rule ever.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman

How is that "legit" thread legit in any way? It's Youtube spam. 

Wait, now I'm not sure which videos you meant should be exceptions and which you meant should not be. They're all spam in my opinion though.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deathstriker666

No, the mods are too lenient on spam in general  
Quest spam, in particular, is still fucking everywhere

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By bed
@bonbolapti said:
" no youtube spam is the best rule ever. "
nirokogaseru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nirokogaseru
@Axxol said:
Certainly rules that prevent spam are good, but what if the video drives a discussion and the description focuses the attention of the discussion?  That isn't spam--that's a true to life thread, and some threads are being wrongly closed.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iamjohn
@AjayRaz said:
" @bonbolapti said:
"
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BraveToaster
@nirokogaseru said:
" @Axxol said:
Certainly rules that prevent spam are good, but what if the video drives a discussion and the description focuses the attention of the discussion?  That isn't spam--that's a true to life thread, and some threads are being wrongly closed. "
No, it means that the OP (of the YouTube spam) is too fucking lazy to write. Anybody can post YouTube videos all day and claim that it's "True To Life". If they have an issue with abiding by this rule, they can simply post them on another site that allows it.
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By thatfrood
@JJWeatherman said:
" How is that "legit" thread legit in any way? It's Youtube spam.  Wait, now I'm not sure which videos you meant should be exceptions and which you meant should not be. They're all spam in my opinion though. "
I had the same problem. He means both of them are spam.

Also I guess I can agree to a point. I've seen plenty of threads that I"m glad were made where there was just a new trailer for a game in it, Giantbomb's trailer would probably come up in a day or so, so I appreciated that I got to see it early because of the thread. I say if it's valuable to the community it should stay, the tough part is knowing when something is valuable or not.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JoelTGM

It's annoying in that anytime a video is posted everyone calls youtube spam, but as long as you have something to say to encourage discussion then it won't be locked. 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By meteora
@Axxol said:
" @nirokogaseru said:
" @Axxol said:
Certainly rules that prevent spam are good, but what if the video drives a discussion and the description focuses the attention of the discussion?  That isn't spam--that's a true to life thread, and some threads are being wrongly closed. "
No, it means that the OP (of the YouTube spam) is too fucking lazy to write. Anybody can post YouTube videos all day and claim that it's "True To Life". If they have an issue with abiding by this rule, they can simply post them on another site that allows it. "
This. At least the OP can write about something, like how he stumbled onto the video, thought it was interesting, and wanted to stir it into some kind of discussion/debate. Just posting the video up is asking for a direction-less discussion. 
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#18  Edited By natetodamax

It's a great rule. 

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Driadon

Best way: check the thread. If it's a legit thread that just happens to focus on a YouTube video, then awesome, keep it. Otherwise, fuck 'em

nirokogaseru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nirokogaseru
@Axxol: If the discussion centers around a video, then why is it inappropriate to post the source video. For instance, I saw one thread closed about a video the guy made--he wanted comments for improvement.  That being said, illustrations are few and far between. The GB Mods are pretty good at what they do.
SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpiralStairs

I agree it's a dumb rule. Someone just posts a video as part their thread and it's all "oh Shit youtube smapz oh noes"

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By Spoonman671

If the youtube video cannot inspire the threadmaker to think of something substantive with which to start the thread off, then the video does not deserve its own thread on Giant Bomb.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I think it's a good rule overall, it's more in the way it's enforced. A lot of the time people post threads about youtube videos that are gaming related, which usually don't get closed.

I would much rather see the rule revised to suit all contexts rather than outright removing the rule.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BraveToaster
@ThatFrood said:
" I say if it's valuable to the community it should stay, the tough part is knowing when something is valuable or not. "
Yeah, and some people will get upset if their thread gets locked but some other user's is authorized. Mods would have to determine what's acceptable and what is trash, which would be very time consuming.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Milkman

Sometimes the mods get out of hand with it. To think that no videos can incite some discussion on their own is just stupid.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By trace
@Meteora said:

" Just posting the video up is asking for a direction-less discussion.  "

Precisely this. Posting a YouTube video with minimal writing isn't creating a conversation, it's just pointing to a video and saying, "look at this." That does so very little to contribute to the forums.

If somebody actually creates an interesting point of discussion that they write out and accompany with a YouTube video, and thus move past the no YouTube spam rule, more power to them.
nirokogaseru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nirokogaseru
@Spoonman671 said:
" If the youtube video cannot inspire the threadmaker to think of something substantive with which to start the thread off, then the video does not deserve its own thread on Giant Bomb. "
Some sort of description is a must.  At least a short synopisis of the video or what the threadmeister wants you to take from it.  A stand-alone video deserves to be locked.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BraveToaster
@nirokogaseru said:

" @Axxol: If the discussion centers around a video, then why is it inappropriate to post the source video. For instance, I saw one thread closed about a video the guy made--he wanted comments for improvement.  That being said, illustrations are few and far between. The GB Mods are pretty good at what they do. "

But anyone could use that excuse for any video. Everyone has a different definition of your phrase True To Life, so how can a Mod decide which is authorized or not? This would create a lot of unnecessary work for the Mods.
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Barrock

People really do go overboard with policing the boards. I made a thread about a woman calling Google because she couldn't figure out how to use google when they did the thing for Pac Man's birthday and the first like... four responses were people saying "YOUTUBE SPAMM!!!"

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CL60

The rule is fine as it is.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jeust
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Jeust said:
" @demontium:  

I find that rule a joke.  

Look at the last Halo  threads: 

http://www.giantbomb.com/halo-reach/61-26786/meet-nobel-team-vidoc/35-438957/#37  

http://www.giantbomb.com/halo-reach/61-26786/halo-reach-live-action-trailer/35-438909/#14 I reported at least one of them, and i'm sure mods saw it, and did nothing.     People should be allowed to construct a topic around a video, or not at all. it shouldn't be because of not upsetting a lot of people.  "
In my opinion, the first vid doc video is fine because it tells the game and provides discussion about ya know, a video game. This is a video game site after all. The second one is about Halo, but is just kinda a trailer. Not much to say besides "cool".
error5305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By error5305
@iAmJohn said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" @bonbolapti said:
"
"
^
If you want to watch youtube videos, go to youtube.  
@demontium:
Do you not realize the irony of calling that link "legit youtube spam?"
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jeust
@JJWeatherman said:

" @Jeust said:

" @demontium:  

I find that rule a joke.  

Look at the last Halo  threads: 

http://www.giantbomb.com/halo-reach/61-26786/meet-nobel-team-vidoc/35-438957/#37  

http://www.giantbomb.com/halo-reach/61-26786/halo-reach-live-action-trailer/35-438909/#14 I reported at least one of them, and i'm sure mods saw it, and did nothing.     People should be allowed to construct a topic around a video, or not at all. it shouldn't be because of not upsetting a lot of people.  "

In my opinion, the first vid doc video is fine because it tells the game and provides discussion about ya know, a video game. This is a video game site after all. The second one is about Halo, but is just kinda a trailer. Not much to say besides "cool". "
Still, similar videos were provided before and were locked. People should be able to center threads about a video or not at all, because locking a thread where something cool is going on, while letting others very similar open is not a fair policy. Or everyone eats from the same bowl, or why bother with the rules in the first place?
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By ch13696

Ok. What if the video has a means of discussion? I decide to post up a video instead of typing what I need to say. Does that count as YouTube spam? I can understand if someone's posting something that's considered funny, but has no means of discussion. However, what about other kinds of videos? I say just make the mods jobs harder and make them go through the videos that are posted and see for themselves if it merits discussion.

Avatar image for thekingoftoilets
thekingoftoilets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By thekingoftoilets

Ok? So, we can't post videos that we want to share with the community, but we can have threads such as : What can I do now that im single? My girlfriend is being an ass, help me! Favorite movies?. All I am saying this that whether or not a youtube video does not have a long description, but DOES stimulate the community, that SHOULDN'T be labeled as spam. Hell, at the very least, GB should limit the number of pointless threads with new rules or something.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BraveToaster
@Barrock said:

" People really do go overboard with policing the boards. I made a thread about a woman calling Google because she couldn't figure out how to use google when they did the thing for Pac Man's birthday and the first like... four responses were people saying "YOUTUBE SPAMM!!!" "

Because it was YouTube spam and it will turn the site into a ginormous clusterfuck if they change the rule. 

Here's an example of a user following the rules.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JJWeatherman
@ch13696 said:
" Ok. What if the video has a means of discussion? I decide to post up a video instead of typing what I need to say. Does that count as YouTube spam? I can understand if someone's posting something that's considered funny, but has no means of discussion. However, what about other kinds of videos? I say just make the mods jobs harder and make them go through the videos that are posted and see for themselves if it merits discussion. "
If you mean like a video blog, I see those as perfectly fine. It's just starting a discussion in another format. From what I've seen those have been left unlocked too, so I think the mods just do their best to make the right call. Overall I think I'm fine with the rules how they stand.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By toowalrus

Actually, it absolutely needs to be a rule.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kmdrkul

The rule should be used on a case-by-case basis.  

And also, have you clowns ever thought that, instead of bitching and complaining and shrieking "YOUTUBE SPAM! FLAGGED!" you could actually try to reap conversation out of the video instead of contributing to the spam yourselves?  Too many retards on this forum not thinking logically.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DystopiaX
@error5305 said:
" @iAmJohn said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" @bonbolapti said:
"
"
^
@demontium: Do you not realize the irony of calling that link "legit youtube spam?" "
I think the rule is fine, but what I and some other people on this thread seem to take issue with is the fact that sometimes a video WILL be posted with a paragraph or two as a good discussion point and still be closed as spam.
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hockeymask27

It can be the dumbest youtube video ever. As long as the you  write the reason you believe its necessary to have a topic. Or ask a question you want answered I'm fine with it. For the abuse example your provided if the user embed or link the the movies and then wrote something along the lines of " Here is a 2 part video show casing my top 11 favorite video games. Do you agree with my choices and/or what are yours" then topic would have been fine trust me.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jeust
@DystopiaX said:

" @error5305 said:

" @iAmJohn said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" @bonbolapti said:
"
"
^
@demontium: Do you not realize the irony of calling that link "legit youtube spam?" "
I think the rule is fine, but what I and some other people on this thread seem to take issue with is the fact that sometimes a video WILL be posted with a paragraph or two as a good discussion point and still be closed as spam. "
Does a word count as a good discussion point? lol 

And that is a very slippery slope, as it can be argued that every video with one one paragraph or more has a good discussion point. 
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DrPockets000

Yeah, but then there would be a ton of spam.  

I don't see what's wrong with the rule.  

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BraveToaster
@kmdrkul said:

" The rule should be used on a case-by-case basis.  

And also, have you clowns ever thought that, instead of bitching and complaining and shrieking "YOUTUBE SPAM! FLAGGED!" you could actually try to reap conversation out of the video instead of contributing to the spam yourselves?  Too many retards on this forum not thinking logically. "

So any video is allowed, since someone can start a conversation around it. Check this out: 

Let me show you how your "logic" works. 

Here's the OP:

Here are the comments: 

Sniper Killa: That Dingo ate my baby 

Woopy Poopy: Cool Bro 

Mupa Koopa : I'd Totally bone dat whale bro 

Kimmy Cat:  Do you guys use make-up? My boyfriend does :)

King Uppy Cuppy: Wowzers gang! Check out my video, it's better 
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By cstrang

Both of these videos seem to be spam to me.  I like the rules as they are.

actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By actionTACO

ugh, why would i want a bunch of low content, no effort, uninteresting youtube threads clogging up my precious forums? 

now, if you'll excuse me, there are some "what is ur favorite *blank*" and "gurls are weird" threads that require my attention.

ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By ErgoProxy77

I vote for a separate video section in the forums.  

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By sagesebas
@demontium: Wait I thought youtube was in inherently spam
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kmdrkul
@Axxol said:

" @kmdrkul said:

" The rule should be used on a case-by-case basis.  

And also, have you clowns ever thought that, instead of bitching and complaining and shrieking "YOUTUBE SPAM! FLAGGED!" you could actually try to reap conversation out of the video instead of contributing to the spam yourselves?  Too many retards on this forum not thinking logically. "

So any video is allowed, since someone can start a conversation around it. Check this out: 

Let me show you how your "logic" works. 

Here's the OP:

Here are the comments: 

Sniper Killa: That Dingo ate my baby 

Woopy Poopy: Cool Bro 

Mupa Koopa : I'd Totally bone dat whale bro 

Kimmy Cat:  Do you guys use make-up? My boyfriend does :)

King Uppy Cuppy: Wowzers gang! Check out my video, it's better  "
That's because those people are idiots.  I'm sure if you really, really, REALLY put your mind to it you'd be able to come up with better commentary then those people.  And if you can't?  Hit the back button and continue browsing.   The video wasn't for you and you have nothing constructive to add.

That's how simple "logic" works, but it's clear you and the majority of this forum are too spoiled (or likely just too fucking stupid) to understand this.