YouTube Video Player On GB?

Davey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Davey

I just started an old P4ER episode, and it wasn't played in the usual Whiskey Media video player, instead it used the YouTube player, which of course confused the shit out of me.

Has anyone else experienced this, and do you know why this is happening? Would be nice to get some info from the engineers if possible!

punpun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By punpun

It's one of the changes they're making to the site that Dave talks about in his article. Only nonsubs have to use the YouTube embedding. Since you're a subscriber you can switch back to the GB video player.

TheBowerhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Masha2932
harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By harinosho

Just wondering what will happen the the videos that the interns were making, do they fall to the way side or will they go on.. im hoping they go on.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By The_Nubster

@harinosho said:

Just wondering what will happen the the videos that the interns were making, do they fall to the way side or will they go on.. im hoping they go on.

I'd imagine they'd continue the same they are now. Since they were on Youtube anyways, this wouldn't affect them much.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@harinosho said:

Well, there was supposed to be a Fear Gauntlet on Monday, and there wasn't, and there was supposed to be one today, but there hasn't (yet). So...Yeah.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By benpicko

@harinosho said:

I wish they'd make a new channel for intern content. I don't want to search through pages and pages of Quick Looks to find something they made.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By theodacourt
Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Bollard

You're kidding me, they're removing their video player for non subs? No offence to them, but I think that's pretty dumb. From the outside Giantbomb will always be known as "that site that couldn't afford its own video hosting so used Youtube to play it's videos."

While I think reputation wise this is a terrible idea, at least for me the plus side will be I can actually stream GiantBomb video content from now own, despite my awful internet. At least Youtube offers a "low" quality setting which is actually different from the medium. Does anyone know if all the old content is being shifted to Youtube too? I really wanna finish the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run, but I never have time to leave my internet buffering for half an hour for each episode. If it's on Youtube though I could stream it...

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By benpicko

@Chavtheworld said:

You're kidding me, they're removing their video player for non subs? No offence to them, but I think that's pretty dumb. From the outside Giantbomb will always be known as "that site that couldn't afford its own video hosting so used Youtube to play it's videos."

While I think reputation wise this is a terrible idea, at least for me the plus side will be I can actually stream GiantBomb video content from now own, despite my awful internet. At least Youtube offers a "low" quality setting which is actually different from the medium. Does anyone know if all the old content is being shifted to Youtube too? I really wanna finish the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run, but I never have time to leave my internet buffering for half an hour for each episode. If it's on Youtube though I could stream it...

Yeah, they're being uploaded today. It's only 360p though, which doesn't sound like a problem for you lol.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Bollard

@benpicko: I don't see them doing any favours for themselves here reducing the quality of the footage new visitors get to see and removing their custom player. But whatever, it's their business.

I for one can't wait to take that 360p ER and take it all the way down to 240. Really hyped to finish the ER - even though I believe they lost, come on team BR!

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#13  Edited By vager

@benpicko said:

@harinosho said:

I wish they'd make a new channel for intern content. I don't want to search through pages and pages of Quick Looks to find something they made.

This is a good idea. I changed the integrated YouTube video page I built a while ago to only show Intern content. If you have FireFox/Chrome you can use it directly on giantbomb.com here. Or If you dont have either browser you can just go here.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By benpicko

@Vager said:

@benpicko said:

@harinosho said:

This is a good idea. I changed the integrated YouTube video page I built a while ago to only show Intern content. If you have FireFox/Chrome you can use it directly on giantbomb.com here. Or If you dont have either browser you can just go here.

Cool thanks. I actually had this installed before, but I reinstalled Chrome and I forgot to install it again.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deadmanforking

@MooseyMcMan: There was a Free to Play today.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@deadmanforking said:

If there was, I can't find it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MooseyMcMan said:

@deadmanforking said:

If there was, I can't find it.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mnzy

The Channel is a total mess now. I guess it works for embedding, but on youtube it's search&pray.

It doesn't help that they decided to not specifically name all their different features.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@animathias: Weird! Thanks for that.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By OldGuy
@theodacourt said:

If people hate searching for fear gauntlet, I made a list.

You don't happen to have one for the other content that only goes to YouTube (Lemon Lens, Lemons new Bombcast thingies, behind the scenes stuff, etc.) do you? Cause they don't categorize that stuff nearly well enough.

<edit - oh, wait. I should have read more of the thread "Never mind.">
theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By theodacourt

@OldGuy: I'm afraid I don't, but all lemon lens and lemons other work will be in his blog. Just check up on that and follow him or whatever. Just don't get close enough to breath down his neck though, he doesn't like that. Fear Gauntlet (I'll keep my list updated) and other assorted stuff will be listed under Kessler's blog. You can follow him as close as you like and he dont lose his coo'.