• 83 results
#1 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

http://pandodaily.com/2013/02/01/sources-ziff-davis-is-close-to-buying-ign/

Ziff Davis used to own 1up, caused the 1up-ocalypse by selling 1-up to UGO, UGO sells 1-UP to IGN, Ziff Davis is buying IGN. The Internet swallows itself again.

#2 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3834 posts) -

This is funny? or sad? I don't know.

#3 Edited by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

IGN sucks anyway let him have it.

#4 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

I wasn't even sure if Ziff Davis still existed. I know they used to be huge in print. Are any of their physical magazines still in production?

#5 Posted by BillyTheKid (485 posts) -
This is how much I care
#6 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -
@Bishna nope. The only property they own is some digital PC mag thing
#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Why does Ziff Davis sound like an 80s pop star?

#8 Posted by Mijati (921 posts) -

I hope not, IPL is pretty awesome and would hate to see that go away.

#9 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3834 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Why does Ziff Davis sound like an 80s pop star?

To me, sounds like a David Bowe persona.

#10 Posted by Landmine (525 posts) -
#11 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

Lets see. Ign giving the 300 blu-ray a 10 on video quality. Giving skyward sword a 10. Giving uncharted 3 a 10.

Can't say it really matters.

#12 Posted by PenguinDust (12514 posts) -

@Bishna said:

I wasn't even sure if Ziff Davis still existed. I know they used to be huge in print. Are any of their physical magazines still in production?

This is my reaction, too. I honestly thought they had folded ship and gone under a while ago.

An intriguing turn of events to say the least. I expect Ziff to buy G4/Esquire TV next and turn it into an all-Tech channel. The 90's are back folks!

#13 Posted by kishinfoulux (2301 posts) -

What would this mean exactly?

#14 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1700 posts) -

@thechronodarkness said:

Lets see. Ign giving the 300 blu-ray a 10 on video quality. Giving skyward sword a 10. Giving uncharted 3 a 10.

I am not really a huge fan of IGN, but for actual reasons. I don't think you can judge an entire site based on 3 writers opinions on three very specific things cause, you know, opinions. And those examples in particular, I wouldn't personally give those things 10s, but I can certainly see why someone would.

#15 Posted by Miketakon (514 posts) -

WELP

#16 Edited by Warfare (1634 posts) -

They didn't manage to kill 1up the first time so they're back to finish the job.

#17 Posted by Nightriff (5079 posts) -

WHY is IGN still around? Thought everyone realized the site is complete shit by now...

#18 Posted by granderojo (1788 posts) -

I would be perfectly fine with Anthony Gallegos jumping ship to Giantbomb.

#19 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (665 posts) -

I like IGN a lot..it's the only website out there that has reviews for every version of every game...and it's helped me time and time again when trying to find out if the Gamecube version of FIFA or something is worth it. That said I'm surprised Ziff Davis can AFFORD IGN...it's a hugely successful website and Ziff couldn't even make 1UP work.

Also, I don't get the hate for IGN...I think it's just cool to hate IGN so people do.

I like Giant Bomb AND IGN, guess I'm alone.

#20 Posted by squiDc00kiE (352 posts) -

Wait, IGN owns 1UP now...

#21 Posted by Octaslash (528 posts) -

@thechronodarkness said:

Jeff Gerstmann gave Tony Hawk 3 a 10. That means Jeff thinks 300 is as good as Metal Gear Solid 4 and Sengoku Bazzaro. His opinion is wrong.

#22 Posted by PHenry1991 (137 posts) -

I don't even know....what....it's a big....Nope. Stop thinkin' about it. Hurts my brain.

#23 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@thechronodarkness said:

Don't forget Halo 4's 9.8.

#24 Posted by Hailinel (24731 posts) -

@kishinfoulux said:

What would this mean exactly?

It would mean that IGN is now property of Ziff Davis, and given ZD's inability to manage 1-Up, IGN could be in for stormy weather ahead.

#25 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

I heard 1up is buying CBS. Confirm/deny?

#26 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

@Counterclockwork87 said:

I like IGN a lot..it's the only website out there that has reviews for every version of every game...and it's helped me time and time again when trying to find out if the Gamecube version of FIFA or something is worth it. That said I'm surprised Ziff Davis can AFFORD IGN...it's a hugely successful website and Ziff couldn't even make 1UP work.

Also, I don't get the hate for IGN...I think it's just cool to hate IGN so people do.

No, you must pick a side! Only one can survive!

#27 Edited by Warfare (1634 posts) -
#28 Posted by BoOzak (919 posts) -

I go to IGN for non-gaming related stuff weirdly enough. It used to be my favourite site back when they exclusively reviewed N64 games. (those were the days) I have no idea what Ziff Davis is (thought it was some guy) but I doubt it'll have any impact on the way the site's run.

#29 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1700 posts) -

I think the reason it's "cool" to hate IGN is because there is a lot to legitimately dislike about it. I don't know why other people don't like IGN, but I'll give you a few reasons why I don't care for them.

• They are very fond of stirring up flame wars by writing sensationalist articles that deliberately get people arguing about meaningless bullshit (ie. console wars).
  • Many of their editors have clear bias for one console or the other, and as such push their point view vehemently. Exclusive games always seem to get higher scores, and its hard to take those seriously when the editors for IGN Playstation, IGN Xbox etc. always seem to be pushing fanboy agendas in their articles.
  • All the IGN videos pander for clicks by prominently featuring attractive women, rather than offering quality content. I don't particularly have anything against Jessica Chobot or Naomi Kyle, but their presence in video content seems to be for the sole reason of getting adolescent males to watch the video cause hot girls. I wouldn't care as much if they contributing more meaningful personal opinions, but they seem to be there solely for their looks.
  • They flood the front page with so many worthless fluff articles that can be boiled down to a one paragraph press release. They are in the business of generating as many articles as possible in a 24 hour period without much concern for quality control. There are certainly some good articles buried in there somewhere, but the number pointless stuff they post is overwhelming.

So, if you like IGN that's fine, but I have real reasons for not liking them, and it has nothing to do with being trendy.

#30 Posted by Demoskinos (14823 posts) -

Everyone over at IGN better bail ship now.

#31 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

No photoshopped photos of Ryan Davis. I am disappointed.

#32 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

Greg miller fired? (I like Greg, ps. I also like ign. yeah! I like ign!)

#33 Posted by Zelyre (1193 posts) -

But... IGN is where Matt Rorie is now. :(

#34 Posted by sarge1445 (676 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

WHY is IGN still around? Thought everyone realized the site is complete shit by now...

Because podcast Beyond and NVC are both pretty good podcasts and they occasionally put out a good feature.

#35 Posted by sarge1445 (676 posts) -

@ll_Exile_ll said:

I think the reason it's "cool" to hate IGN is because there is a lot to legitimately dislike about it. I don't know why other people don't like IGN, but I'll give you a few reasons why I don't care for them.

• They are very fond of stirring up flame wars by writing sensationalist articles that deliberately get people arguing about meaningless bullshit (ie. console wars).
  • Many of their editors have clear bias for one console or the other, and as such push their point view vehemently. Exclusive games always seem to get higher scores, and its hard to take those seriously when the editors for IGN Playstation, IGN Xbox etc. always seem to be pushing fanboy agendas in their articles.
  • All the IGN videos pander for clicks by prominently featuring attractive women, rather than offering quality content. I don't particularly have anything against Jessica Chobot or Naomi Kyle, but their presence in video content seems to be for the sole reason of getting adolescent males to watch the video cause hot girls. I wouldn't care as much if they contributing more meaningful personal opinions, but they seem to be there solely for their looks.
  • They flood the front page with so many worthless fluff articles that can be boiled down to a one paragraph press release. They are in the business of generating as many articles as possible in a 24 hour period without much concern for quality control. There are certainly some good articles buried in there somewhere, but the number pointless stuff they post is overwhelming.

So, if you like IGN that's fine, but I have real reasons for not liking them, and it has nothing to do with being trendy.

I don't think they have a bias as much as they have been assigned to that team and have to play to that audience. Greg Miller owns a 360 and has said over and over that he loves Left 4 Dead, Ryan Clements when he was on the Playstation team talked about PC gaming all the time. I can't really blame them for using eye candy to get clicks, this is a business I imagine IGN has a lot of over head more clicks the better same with the fluff pieces. I just don't like a lot of the personalities they have, the PC team has been dead forever, the Xbox team hasn't been good since Goldstien left, IGN Playstation seems to be the one of the two rocks of stability because Greg and Colin have been there for what feels like forever, same could be said for the Nintendo team with Rich George.

#36 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -
@thabigred

WORD... also Mitch dyer in some capacity. He's good
#37 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

Forgot about Gamespy. Feel like tat will get dissolved if this goes through and they get absorbed into the machine. I do think the whole separate console teams thing will get broken up with this sale. New owner:: looking at the landscape: IGN:: no affiliation.

Also, I do get minor sadness seeing people posting here commenting on solely ign without knowledge of the EGM/1-UP background. That's where I grew up with gaming. =\

#38 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

Two irrelevant things that taste irrelevant together.

#39 Edited by Brendan (7806 posts) -

Well if Ziff Davis sold 1Up for more than they ended up buying them afterward as a part of IGN then that's a pretty smart move.

#40 Posted by Hailinel (24731 posts) -

@Zelyre said:

No, he's with Gamespy. Unless Gamespy became part of IGN when I wasn't paying attention.

#41 Posted by MonetaryDread (2030 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

According to Alexa.com IGN takes in double the amount of visitors as its closest competition... and giantbomb.com is one ninth the amount of visitors. So why would IGN disappear?

#42 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -
@MonetaryDread

@Nightriff said:

According to Alexa.com IGN takes in double the amount of visitors as its closest competition... and giantbomb.com is one ninth the amount of visitors. So why would IGN disappear?

I have to imagine that's an accurate representation of VG Internet. Outside of ign, GS, kotaku, who else would be beating GB?
#43 Edited by granderojo (1788 posts) -

@WMWA said:

@thabigred

WORD... also Mitch dyer in some capacity. He's good

Mitchy would fit well with gamespot* bros.

#44 Edited by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

@WMWA: 4chan gets something like 20 million hits per month and approximately 1.5 million unique visitors a day and moot has said that /v/ is either the second or third (can't remember off the top of my head) most popular board. Assuming the scale for that chart is millions of views, I wouldn't be surprised if /v/ gets as many, if not more, hits than IGN.

#45 Posted by kishinfoulux (2301 posts) -

Because they just employ awful people. If there is one site I trust the least it's them. Has nothing to do with being "cool". They really are just bad.

#46 Posted by mrfluke (5151 posts) -

@Landmine said:

exactly,

#47 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -
@familyphotoshoot wow, that's nuts. Honestly forgot about them. Wonder what Reddit's numbers are, as well. And what Kotaku's would be if they weren't banned by Reddit
#48 Posted by NegativeCero (3001 posts) -

I always thought a big part of Ziff's mismanagement of 1up was the magazines related to it doing poorly. Still must be weird for the few guys over there to be back with their old management.

#49 Posted by Dalai (7028 posts) -
Whenever Ziff Davis is referenced, I automatically think of this.

Agh-hem!

#50 Posted by GaspoweR (3022 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Zelyre said:

No, he's with Gamespy. Unless Gamespy became part of IGN when I wasn't paying attention.

Woah wait he's with Gamespy now? Man haven't been back there since Ryan Scott left.