#1 Posted by Redsand26 (125 posts) -

Hey folks:

Dave from Microsoft says:

Just wanted to let you know that I'll come online and do a Q&A once we go live with our launch announcement at midnight tonight (US-PST).

Is anyone planning on getting the Zune HD at midnight.?   

Zune HD 

I'm an owner of a 1st gen 30gb Zune, and plan to stay up for the 4.0 update which includes an app store and HD radio among other things. 

This is not  an ipod vs. zune thread.  If you are a zune owner or a potential owner, come share the love.
#2 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

Zune Software 4.0?

#3 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1172 posts) -

I'm not trying to be pro ipod or anitzune but i had so many bugs and technical problems with my first zune that I just went to an ipod touch.

#4 Posted by jkz (4028 posts) -

I pre-ordered mine, it's coming in tommorow (or today at this point I suppose,) can't wait, especially looking forward to seeing what they do with that Tegra Chip

#5 Posted by xyzygy (9996 posts) -

I really, really want a ZuneHD. They are far more superior to that OTHER MP3 player out there. Wait I mean M4A. You don't need to convert all your music into a file which is only recognized by one device. Plus I am amazed at the beauitful quailty of this screen!

#6 Posted by AxeMeTender (16 posts) -

My poo coloured Z30 is still kickin' it and I will be updating the SW tonight.   I've cracked the player open twice now - once for a broken screen ($30 to replace on eBay!) and once to disconnect the battery for the infamous clock issue - but I still love it.    I owned a 3rdGen iPod for a few years and it was a wonderful player but when the HD finally bit the dust I researched the heck out of the market and found that the new gen of iPods required iTunes where I'd gotten by without it up till then.    Turned out the Zune SW (I came in after 2.0 was released) was still a bugger to get comfortable with and somewhat feature-poor compared to iTunes but it was still BETTER than iTunes (barely), and V3 blew iTunes completely away because by then I was comfortable with it and it added mixview and channels, etc, which are really cool to play with.

I haven't heard anything at all about what's coming for my ancient player in the new version.  Just some rumours that the cool backgrounds and factoids we see in the full screen mode of the SW player for certain bands will be on the devices now, too; and maybe another major revamp of the interface on the device.

I'll hold back and see how the initial reviews and user feed back go for the Zune HD.   I'm about due for a new player (well in a year or three ;-) and it looks pretty freakin' awesome.

#7 Posted by Redsand26 (125 posts) -

Exciting times.  With any luck, microsoft might be able to bridge the gap from their xbox gaming platform, to their portable mp3 market.  

#8 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -

Where has the marketing on this thing been? I haven't seen any info that would lead me to believe the general public actually knows about the Zune HD. 

#9 Posted by AndrewB (7621 posts) -

I'd buy it if I didn't lack the income, and/or if I didn't already own a Zune. As cool as the HD is, my ole' hard drive player is the only thing with enough space to hold what I need to (music + podcasts + movies and other videos). The more affordable 16GB just isn't anywhere near enough, and the 32GB one is easily out of monetary reach, not to mention still not enough space, expecially considering the want to actually put HD content on the Zune HD, and the fact that there are supposedly games coming for it.

Though I don't expect much from the games department. Microsoft always emphasizes game support on their devices as an afterthought. I don't see them getting the support that the Apple App store has, and that's what they need for this thing to be taken seriously. For all the crap that gets put onto the App store, people still somehow think of the iPhone/iPod Touch as a gaming device.

#10 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1480 posts) -

What time zone midnight?

#11 Posted by Redsand26 (125 posts) -

It's Midnight Pacific, so 2am Central for me.  

'Monster Energy' plans to keep me awake it seems.

#12 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1480 posts) -
@Redsand26:  3 AM for me. I think I hear Street Fighter calling me...
#13 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@Redsand26 said:
" It's Midnight Pacific, so 2am Central for me.   'Monster Energy' plans to keep me awake it seems. "
Nice. I live on the west coast and I just woke up after staying up for about 24 hours yesterday. So yeah, I'm good to go.
#14 Posted by juanvaldes (185 posts) -

I'd assume PST with MS HQ being in Washington and all. 

#15 Posted by AndrewB (7621 posts) -

Freaking A... everything important runs on Pacific time. I'll probably still be up at 3 in the morning, but there's no way I'll be waiting around *just* to update my Zune software. Well.. I dunno... I am pretty pathetic when it comes to these things. And I've had way too much coffee anyway : \. I won't be sleeping for a long while now...

#16 Posted by Ping5000 (385 posts) -

Oh god, I had no idea this was even coming out this year. The sudden IT IS NOW GOING TO BE OUT RIGHT NOW shock of it is like getting hit by a car while remaining concious throughout all of it.

#17 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1480 posts) -

Annnnnnd it's out.
Annnnnnd the store's down.
Though they're offering a free two-week free trial of Zune Pass, don't know if that's new or not.

#18 Posted by AxeMeTender (16 posts) -

It seems like a pretty decent update to the software so far. (I don't use the marketplace for anything)
I like the DJ thing; I haven't used the itunes "genius" but this Smart DJ makes some pretty cool mixes based around a starting song or band.
I also like the mini player and tool bar player!  Long overdue.
I miss the band info and pics that would show up for most bands in that full-screen player mode;  I was hoping that stuff would be carried into the player... not removed entirely!
It took a few tries before my Zune 30 would "take" but after that it was painless.  Seemingly not much of an update on the player itself, but pictures seem to navigate a whole lot faster.

#19 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

More integration with the 360 would really help push these things.
I'm pretty excited about the Zune, but apparantly they have no plans to launch them in Europe in anytime soon... So what can you do.

#20 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@AxeMeTender said:
" It seems like a pretty decent update to the software so far. (I don't use the marketplace for anything)I like the DJ thing; I haven't used the itunes "genius" but this Smart DJ makes some pretty cool mixes based around a starting song or band. I also like the mini player and tool bar player!  Long overdue. I miss the band info and pics that would show up for most bands in that full-screen player mode;  I was hoping that stuff would be carried into the player... not removed entirely!It took a few tries before my Zune 30 would "take" but after that it was painless.  Seemingly not much of an update on the player itself, but pictures seem to navigate a whole lot faster. "
The backgrounds that scroll by in the now playing screen are linked to the marketplace I believe, that's where the info and pics are pulled from. So just wait until tomorrow and you should see them back.