Achievement Unlocked:100,000 Wiki Points

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Edited By Hailinel

This morning, as I submitted a wiki edit for the Weeping Lily Meadow page, I achieved an arbitrary milestone. As I write this, I currently have 100,285 points. Yes, some users crossed this plateau long before me with rather alarming speed and have left me and pretty much everyone else in the dust. But as a relatively steady contributor toward Giant Bomb's wiki since the site's inception, finally hitting that hundred grand mark feels pretty good. It's been fun seeing the wiki take shape since the early days of the site, when it was all Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny could do to keep up with the insane influx of submissions. Since then, a good chunk of the wiki has become well fleshed out and fairly informative, while other pages still have a lot of work left to be done.

The Wine and the Roses

My general stance toward contributing to the wiki has generally never been to focus exclusively on a single page. I look at some point totals wracked up on pages, point totals north of ten thousand, and it still boggles my mind how someone could find that much to say or find that many images to add specifically to a single wiki entry. Hell, the most I have for any one page is 3,073 points, and that was after over a year of continuous edits. That being said, I've contributed to a wide range of pages over the years, some far more than others.

For those of you wondering what it really takes to contribute to the wiki, it's really not that difficult. Find a page for a game, or a character, or a concept, or location, or whatever, and just add what you know. If there are any blanks in your knowledge, do the research, but don't plagiarize. Use your own words. Even if all you feel you can add is a grammar correction here or fix a misplaced punctuation there, then you're still making the wiki better. Lord knows how many times I've opened the editor specifically to remove the italics from game titles. (No, the style guide for Giant Bomb specifically says don't italicize. So don't. Really. Seriously. Please.)

The point is, anyone can add to the wiki. Don't see a concept that you think would fit some games? Create it. Wonder why there aren't any images of that character you like so much? Add some to his gallery. Feel a need to nerd out in a long-winded description of a game's mechanics, story, and its thematic relationship to Vegemite? Then by all means, do so. The only thing stopping you from contributing is yourself.

Because how anyone can stomach this stuff is one of the greatest mysteries of all.
Because how anyone can stomach this stuff is one of the greatest mysteries of all.

The Beer and the Pizza

Well, maybe not just yourself. Despite all of the ups, there have been a fair share of downs in the past three years, as well. Most recently, the image uploading system broke down, and last I checked, it's still broken if you're using Firefox. Like all things software related, bugs happen, but the Top Men are in general on top of the worst cases. So don't let the fact that you can't upload that super-awesome picture of Quetzalcoatl get you down. The time will come.

And when you've contributed as much as I have, the time will also inevitably come when someone edits your work. Don't take it personally. Keep in mind that this is a wiki. It is not my personal playground, nor yours. If someone feels the need to clean up that text you added, or move some of it over to a page of greater relevance, they have the right to do so. The last thing that the wiki really needs is a Wikipedia-style edit war. Because holy hell, those guys are cutthroat. For any wiki editing questions you have, use the Editing & Tools forum. If you find a page is a duplicate, or for some reason you believe a page is inappropriate for the wiki, inquire in the Delete & Combine Requests forum. But!

1. Don't be a complete asshole about it. That Rape page might have more relevance than you know.
  2. Don't be offended if someone suggests a page you worked long and hard on should be deleted.

Defend your actions intelligently and firmly, but the moment a moderator or staff member steps in and makes a ruling, particularly a ruling you don't agree with, learn when to let go. It doesn't make your contributions any more or less valid; you just can't win every battle.

And for goodness sake, don't be that guy that, in the early days of the wiki, became so offended by an edit I made to a page he "claimed" that he started deleting the full contents from wiki pages that, regardless of the contributions of others, I happened to be the top editor of at the time. That is what is called being a childish prick. No one likes those.

And Now, A List!

Before writing all of this up, I went ahead and compiled a simple list of pages for your entertainment, derision, and dare I say, arousal. It is a list of ten of my favorite pages on the site that I have contributed toward at degree or another. Egotistical? Most certainly. But it's my list. Contribute some to the wiki, and you too will have the power to stroke your very own Giant Bomb ego.

Favorite Wiki Pages That I Have Contributed Toward.

1. Metroid: Other M

Holy Christ. I spent more time editing this page than any other across nearly every aspect, from the article text to the most esoteric of concepts that could legitimately be associated with the game. Obsessive? Yeah, probably. But looking at some of the other wiki pages and their top contributors, a little north of 3,000 wiki points is still pretty small potatoes.

2. Ike

According to my wiki history, Ike's page is the first page creation submission that I had approved, way back in the first days of the site when everyone and their mother was rushing to be the guy to create the Tifa Lockhart page. Those were chaotic times.

3. Castlevania Judgment

Yes, it's a bad game. But damn it if I didn't at least give it a chance. Probably more of a chance than it deserved, honestly. But I felt compelled to fill in the wiki for it.

4. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

I'm not anywhere even close to being one of the top contributors for this page. Far more people took far more time to fill in every last exacting detail during the height of the P4 Endurance Run. But that collaborative effort managed to create one of the best wiki pages on the entire site.

5. Crossover

Of all of the concept pages I've created, this one is probably the most commonly used and referenced. I was honestly surprised that no one had created it before I had gotten around to it.

6. Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei

When the wiki task system was first instituted, this game was one of the first and biggest tasks I took on. I'd love it if someone with even more knowledge of the game could flesh it out even more.

7. Nene

There are roughly a hojillion Dynasty/Samurai Warriors pages that I've contributed toward, but I just have more of a fondness than Nene than any other. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just the absolute hilarity of the way she's depicted as a ninja housewife (housewife ninja?).

8. Multimedia Celebrity Poker

Another big team effort I contributed toward. Beware the true form of Jonathan Frakes!

9. Metroidvania

Another page creation of mine, though others pretty much came in and made it their own. (Call it Castletroid and I will end you.)

10. Queen Zeal

Another page creation of mine from the site's early days, I also wrote the bulk of the article text as it currently stands upon this list's creation. What can I say? I'm a sucker for psychotic women with ridiculous hair and garishly colored dresses.

To those of you that prefer western games, I apologize for the above display.

Actually, no, I take that back. I don't. Sorry!

Contribute What You Want

But in all seriousness, don't be afraid to add what you want, so long as it doesn't violate any guidelines. Hell, I'm the guy responsible for creating the Rape and Incest pages. These aren't topics that are exactly appropriate for polite society, but seeing as there are games that feature or reference them, they are appropriate concepts for the wiki. Once again, if there's a page that you feel is missing and that has a legitimate reason to be here, then by all means, add it.

If you're still not sure where to start, just browse around the different page categories. There are countless games that are missing their full casts of characters. There are location pages that are little more than lists with no description of what makes them significant to the games in which they appear. There are concepts that are so ill-defined that no one can seem to agree on what exactly the page is meant to reference. There are publishers and franchises with no known histories. All it takes is a little searching to find a page that could use at least a little help. You add a little here, a little more over there, you knock down the wall down that way and add a whole new wing, and well, suddenly the place is looking a lot spiffier than it was before you got here.

There's a lot you can do. And regardless of your drive, if you work at it long enough, you'll hit that six-digit point total eventually. The thing is, you won't ever get there if you don't contribute and contribute well. And Giant Bomb can always use more quality contributions.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hailinel

This morning, as I submitted a wiki edit for the Weeping Lily Meadow page, I achieved an arbitrary milestone. As I write this, I currently have 100,285 points. Yes, some users crossed this plateau long before me with rather alarming speed and have left me and pretty much everyone else in the dust. But as a relatively steady contributor toward Giant Bomb's wiki since the site's inception, finally hitting that hundred grand mark feels pretty good. It's been fun seeing the wiki take shape since the early days of the site, when it was all Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny could do to keep up with the insane influx of submissions. Since then, a good chunk of the wiki has become well fleshed out and fairly informative, while other pages still have a lot of work left to be done.

The Wine and the Roses

My general stance toward contributing to the wiki has generally never been to focus exclusively on a single page. I look at some point totals wracked up on pages, point totals north of ten thousand, and it still boggles my mind how someone could find that much to say or find that many images to add specifically to a single wiki entry. Hell, the most I have for any one page is 3,073 points, and that was after over a year of continuous edits. That being said, I've contributed to a wide range of pages over the years, some far more than others.

For those of you wondering what it really takes to contribute to the wiki, it's really not that difficult. Find a page for a game, or a character, or a concept, or location, or whatever, and just add what you know. If there are any blanks in your knowledge, do the research, but don't plagiarize. Use your own words. Even if all you feel you can add is a grammar correction here or fix a misplaced punctuation there, then you're still making the wiki better. Lord knows how many times I've opened the editor specifically to remove the italics from game titles. (No, the style guide for Giant Bomb specifically says don't italicize. So don't. Really. Seriously. Please.)

The point is, anyone can add to the wiki. Don't see a concept that you think would fit some games? Create it. Wonder why there aren't any images of that character you like so much? Add some to his gallery. Feel a need to nerd out in a long-winded description of a game's mechanics, story, and its thematic relationship to Vegemite? Then by all means, do so. The only thing stopping you from contributing is yourself.

The Beer and the Pizza

Well, maybe not just yourself. Despite all of the ups, there have been a fair share of downs in the past three years, as well. Most recently, the image uploading system broke down, and last I checked, it's still broken if you're using Firefox. Like all things software related, bugs happen, but the Top Men are in general on top of the worst cases. So don't let the fact that you can't upload that super-awesome picture of Quetzalcoatl get you down. The time will come.

And when you've contributed as much as I have, the time will also inevitably come when someone edits your work. Don't take it personally. Keep in mind that this is a wiki. It is not my personal playground, nor yours. If someone feels the need to clean up that text you added, or move some of it over to a page of greater relevance, they have the right to do so. The last thing that the wiki really needs is a Wikipedia-style edit war. Because holy hell, those guys are cutthroat. For any wiki editing questions you have, use the Editing & Tools forum. If you find a page is a duplicate, or for some reason you believe a page is inappropriate for the wiki, inquire in the Delete & Combine Requests forum. But!

1. Don't be a complete asshole about it. That Rape page might have more relevance than you know.
  2. Don't be offended if someone suggests a page you worked long and hard on should be deleted.

Defend your actions intelligently and firmly, but the moment a moderator or staff member steps in and makes a ruling, particularly a ruling you don't agree with, learn when to let go. It doesn't make your contributions any more or less valid; you just can't win every battle.

And for goodness sake, don't be that guy that, in the early days of the wiki, became so offended by an edit I made to a page he "claimed" that he started deleting the full contents from wiki pages that, regardless of the contributions of others, I happened to be the top editor of at the time. That is what is called being a childish prick. No one likes those.

And Now, A List!

Before writing all of this up, I went ahead and compiled a simple list of pages for your entertainment, derision, and dare I say, arousal. It is a list of ten of my favorite pages on the site that I have contributed toward at degree or another. Egotistical? Most certainly. But it's my list. Contribute some to the wiki, and you too will have the power to stroke your very own Giant Bomb ego.

Favorite Wiki Pages That I Have Contributed Toward.

1. Metroid: Other M

Holy Christ. I spent more time editing this page than any other across nearly every aspect, from the article text to the most esoteric of concepts that could legitimately be associated with the game. Obsessive? Yeah, probably. But looking at some of the other wiki pages and their top contributors, a little north of 3,000 wiki points is still pretty small potatoes.

2. Ike

According to my wiki history, Ike's page is the first page creation submission that I had approved, way back in the first days of the site when everyone and their mother was rushing to be the guy to create the Tifa Lockhart page. Those were chaotic times.

3. Castlevania Judgment

Yes, it's a bad game. But damn it if I didn't at least give it a chance. Probably more of a chance than it deserved, honestly. But I felt compelled to fill in the wiki for it.

4. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

I'm not anywhere even close to being one of the top contributors for this page. Far more people took far more time to fill in every last exacting detail during the height of the P4 Endurance Run. But that collaborative effort managed to create one of the best wiki pages on the entire site.

5. Crossover

Of all of the concept pages I've created, this one is probably the most commonly used and referenced. I was honestly surprised that no one had created it before I had gotten around to it.

6. Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei

When the wiki task system was first instituted, this game was one of the first and biggest tasks I took on. I'd love it if someone with even more knowledge of the game could flesh it out even more.

7. Nene

There are roughly a hojillion Dynasty/Samurai Warriors pages that I've contributed toward, but I just have more of a fondness than Nene than any other. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just the absolute hilarity of the way she's depicted as a ninja housewife (housewife ninja?).

Another big team effort I contributed toward. Beware the true form of Jonathan Frakes!

9. Metroidvania

Another page creation of mine, though others pretty much came in and made it their own. (Call it Castletroid and I will end you.)

10. Queen Zeal

Another page creation of mine from the site's early days, I also wrote the bulk of the article text as it currently stands upon this list's creation. What can I say? I'm a sucker for psychotic women with ridiculous hair and garishly colored dresses.

To those of you that prefer western games, I apologize for the above display.

Actually, no, I take that back. I don't. Sorry!

Contribute What You Want

But in all seriousness, don't be afraid to add what you want, so long as it doesn't violate any guidelines. Hell, I'm the guy responsible for creating the Rape and Incest pages. These aren't topics that are exactly appropriate for polite society, but seeing as there are games that feature or reference them, they are appropriate concepts for the wiki. Once again, if there's a page that you feel is missing and that has a legitimate reason to be here, then by all means, add it.

If you're still not sure where to start, just browse around the different page categories. There are countless games that are missing their full casts of characters. There are location pages that are little more than lists with no description of what makes them significant to the games in which they appear. There are concepts that are so ill-defined that no one can seem to agree on what exactly the page is meant to reference. There are publishers and franchises with no known histories. All it takes is a little searching to find a page that could use at least a little help. You add a little here, a little more over there, you knock down the wall down that way and add a whole new wing, and well, suddenly the place is looking a lot spiffier than it was before you got here.

There's a lot you can do. And regardless of your drive, if you work at it long enough, you'll hit that six-digit point total eventually. The thing is, you won't ever get there if you don't contribute and contribute well. And Giant Bomb can always use more quality contributions.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By AlexW00d

Castletroid sounds like a disease.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hailinel

@AlexW00d said:

Castletroid sounds like a disease.

And a rather painful one at that.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I'm so glad people like you exist to make the Giantbomb wiki as great as it is.

I would never be able to learn or write nearly that much information about anything ever.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By amir90
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

Man, this blog makes me feel like getting involved with the wiki some more. There are tons of obscure games I could work on, but the best I could come up with was Mystic Ark. (That page could use a bit of sprucing up.) I should go write down everything I know about Tear Ring Saga.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Yanngc33

Congrats man! The wiki pages you contribute on are always awesome :) I hope one day to cross the 100k threshold too

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

Nice one. I'd like to eventually reach such a prestigious foothold within the wiki, though with the pace I go at it'll be take a fair few more edits across the years to get there. Plenty of pages that I'm of a particular knowledge about are already filled out well enough, or are in a state of disarray but with so much disarray that I've still feel guilty in just purging the thing and starting over. Ah well, I still enjoy jerking off to my rather detailed Resident Evil 3 page every so often and I'm still making the steps to a hefty 100K slowly but surely. Honestly I look at editors like Marino and I simply can't fathom how the hell he became so motivated and engrossed with the wiki to put the frightening amount of stuff in there.

You make a lot of goods point about treating the wiki too. I'll admit that once I've posted enough into a page I gain some silly territorial feeling of ownership and there's a slight sting once I notice someone's edited or deleted something I've written in there. I don't make a fuss or anything, but it's certainly something I need to get over.

The wiki itself can be fucking headsore with all the glitches, though. Like you mentioned, trying to place images in the wiki can be needlessly cumbersome. I still can't work around the tables, either. Images, again, never place themselves in the boxes that I want them to and the table size consistency can leap all over the place depending on how many words are in one particular box. It's a waste of effort for the most part, though just imagining how much cleaner it can make certain lists look still pushes me through into making it work right.

Anywhoo great read, and congrats again. Brilliant poster-pic for that incest page too btw...

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Afroman269

@LordXavierBritish said:

I'm so glad people like you exist to make the Giantbomb wiki as great as it is. I would never be able to learn or write nearly that much information about anything ever.
Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#10  Edited By Marino  Staff

Welcome to the club. Congrats on being in the top 10 to reach this landmark.

It looks like we'll have #11 pretty soon too.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Alexander

Congrats str1, your commitment to the wiki is an example to all. I have been meaning to work on a particular page for a while and this post has me thinking I'll do that some time soon.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hailinel

@Afroman269 said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

I'm so glad people like you exist to make the Giantbomb wiki as great as it is. I would never be able to learn or write nearly that much information about anything ever.

@Yanngc33 said:

Congrats man! The wiki pages you contribute on are always awesome :) I hope one day to cross the 100k threshold too

@Alexander said:

Congrats str1, your commitment to the wiki is an example to all. I have been meaning to work on a particular page for a while and this post has me thinking I'll do that some time soon.

@amir90 said:

WTF: O

Congrats dude.

Thanks, guys. It's nice to know that my contributions have been able to make an impact.

@Video_Game_King said:

Man, this blog makes me feel like getting involved with the wiki some more. There are tons of obscure games I could work on, but the best I could come up with was Mystic Ark. (That page could use a bit of sprucing up.) I should go write down everything I know about Tear Ring Saga.

I'm sure you have quite a lot to say on the subject, if your blogs are any indication. I'd love to see a full page on Tear Ring Saga. That game has some wild history, despite being a Fire Emblem clone through and through.

@Abyssfull said:

Nice one. I'd like to eventually reach such a prestigious foothold within the wiki, though with the pace I go at it'll be take a fair few more edits across the years to get there. Plenty of pages that I'm of a particular knowledge about are already filled out well enough, or are in a state of disarray but with so much disarray that I've still feel guilty in just purging the thing and starting over. Ah well, I still enjoy jerking off to my rather detailed Resident Evil 3 page every so often and I'm still making the steps to a hefty 100K slowly but surely. Honestly I look at editors like Marino and I simply can't fathom how the hell he became so motivated and engrossed with the wiki to put the frightening amount of stuff in there.

You make a lot of goods point about treating the wiki too. I'll admit that once I've posted enough into a page I gain some silly territorial feeling of ownership and there's a slight sting once I notice someone's edited or deleted something I've written in there. I don't make a fuss or anything, but it's certainly something I need to get over.

The wiki itself can be fucking headsore with all the glitches, though. Like you mentioned, trying to place images in the wiki can be needlessly cumbersome. I still can't work around the tables, either. Images, again, never place themselves in the boxes that I want them to and the table size consistency can leap all over the place depending on how many words are in one particular box. It's a waste of effort for the most part, though just imagining how much cleaner it can make certain lists look still pushes me through into making it work right.

Anywhoo great read, and congrats again. Brilliant poster-pic for that incest page too btw...

Thanks! Despite the glitches and headaches, I've had fun filling the wiki out. And even if you've only contributed to a relative few pages, that's still work done that's benefited the site. You'll get to 100K eventually though, with enough effort.

And as for the Incest page poster pic, well, I must admit that wasn't my idea. Someone else came along and added that after the fact. But I have to hand it to them. It's a much more amusing image than the original one I had attached.

@Marino said:

Welcome to the club. Congrats on being in the top 10 to reach this landmark.

It looks like we'll have #11 pretty soon too.

Thanks! Man, I have no idea how you're such a beast on the wiki, but you do great work, yourself.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yeah, congrats on the milestone! The wiki would be a lot worst without people like you who take their time to fill out pages.

I tend to only focus on pages that are really important to me, so I don't think I'll ever reach nearly as many points. Still, it's always nice to feel that you contributed to making the wiki even a bit better.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By EuanDewar

I would feel incredibly awkward filling in pages based on Rape and Incest.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#15  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Congrats, man. I always feel like I could be doing more to help the wiki out, but I never feel too comfortable editing someone else's work or adding what might be conceived as entirely superfluous information to a page. Subsequently, I've mostly stuck to pages of games I like but no-one else seemed keen to fill, which are limiting criteria to say the least.

I think I'll push myself to reach 10k by the end of this month. I've played thousands of these bleepy-bloopy things, so there must be some pages out there I can create or pad out a bit. So hey, you're an inspiration too.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#16  Edited By bobafettjm

Congrats on the 100k. After reading this blog I went and checked and noticed I am less than a thousand points away as well.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By napalm

Vegemite is Australian. That explains that mystery.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By cookiemonster

Well done!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hailinel

@FluxWaveZ said:

Yeah, congrats on the milestone! The wiki would be a lot worst without people like you who take their time to fill out pages.

I tend to only focus on pages that are really important to me, so I don't think I'll ever reach nearly as many points. Still, it's always nice to feel that you contributed to making the wiki even a bit better.

Thanks! And you're not alone. I think as my wiki history would show, as much effort as I've put in, the biggest contributions have been toward the games that I care more about.

@EuanDewar said:

I would feel incredibly awkward filling in pages based on Rape and Incest.

They're touchy subjects to be sure, but it's hard to avoid talking about when discussing things like the end of F.E.A.R. 2.

@Mento said:

Congrats, man. I always feel like I could be doing more to help the wiki out, but I never feel too comfortable editing someone else's work or adding what might be conceived as entirely superfluous information to a page. Subsequently, I've mostly stuck to pages of games I like but no-one else seemed keen to fill, which are limiting criteria to say the least.

I think I'll push myself to reach 10k by the end of this month. I've played thousands of these bleepy-bloopy things, so there must be some pages out there I can create or pad out a bit. So hey, you're an inspiration too.

Thanks! Sometimes, it can be hard figuring out if the information you want to add would really fit, but everyone seems to have their own idea of what's superfluous. Those smaller details can be really appreciated at times, if they really fit. And hey, good luck in hitting the 10K mark!

@bobafettjm said:

Congrats on the 100k. After reading this blog I went and checked and noticed I am less than a thousand points away as well.

Thank you! I noticed that as well. Like Marino said, pretty soon we'll have eleven people above the mark.

@Napalm said:

Vegemite is Australian. That explains that mystery.

It must be what they eat to get through their days of living on the world's most poisonous continent.

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By Bigheart711

Congratulations, dude! :D

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Slaker117

Great job, man. I kind of wish I would contribute more to the wiki, but most of the stuff I'm knowledgeable about is already filled out, and the lack of clear structural guidelines bothers me in some weird, engineer's mindset way.

Avatar image for runeseekermireille
RuneseekerMireille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congratulations, Hailinel! That's quite an acomplishment!

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By Dagbiker

personaly i have 414 points, the highest amount in one wiki is the creatures set of games for 86 points. i could not imagine getting that many.

obscurefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By obscurefan

Hey congrats on all your fine work. Way to go.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hailinel

@CookieMonster: @Bigheart711: Thanks, guys!

@RuneseekerMireille: @obscurefan: Thank you, as well!

@Slaker117: I know what you mean about the lack of clear guidelines. It was my understanding that an updated style guide was supposed to be published on the site earlier this year, but it doesn't seem to have ever come about. I generally have a layout that I try to follow regularly to maintain consistency, but it would be nice to see more support published on the site.

@Dagbiker: All it takes is a lot of time and dedication, really.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Congrats! I mean, I stopped seriously editing the wiki past the heydays of 2008 when the submission que was backed up to no end, but I've messed with it here and there. Basically, my problem is that I can't really write in the objective style a wiki demands, being far more proficient in the subjective "Here is my opinion on this old CRPG that most of you have never heard of" and the analytical "Here is what these historical documents mean about the Spanish conquest of the Americas". For as weird as it sounds, I have trouble regurgitating information in a way that makes it interesting without inserting my own opinion on the subject, my most major contribution basically being the entirety of the Diablo Hellfire page. Who knows? Maybe I'll do something on some of the other, more obscure stuff I've played... except all of the game pages I just checked have excellent well-written wiki pages. That Wizardry 8 page? Amazing. Also, what the hell is up with the story section for Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu? It's.... so.... long.... And Video Game King isn't even the top contributor.

Also, Veggimite is gross. I can fully understand and enjoy Western Europe's fascination with chocolate-hazelnut spread, but veggimite is pretty much the opposite of that. In that it's horrible, but also extremely good for you.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By MEATBALL

Nice work duder.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ArbitraryWater said:

Also, what the hell is up with the story section for Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu? It's.... so.... long.... And Video Game King isn't even the top contributor.

That freaks me the fuck out. I'd have at least beaten Unknown Pleasures, but corrections don't count for shit, and I corrected a lot. I wasn't really a fan of how some gameplay styles were regarded as canon (getting that item for not letting Lachesis' knights die in chapter 2). But believe me, I'll make up for it with Tear Ring Saga...if I ever get around to writing the page.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hailinel

@Video_Game_King said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Also, what the hell is up with the story section for Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu? It's.... so.... long.... And Video Game King isn't even the top contributor.

That freaks me the fuck out. I'd have at least beaten Unknown Pleasures, but corrections don't count for shit, and I corrected a lot. I wasn't really a fan of how some gameplay styles were regarded as canon (getting that item for not letting Lachesis' knights die in chapter 2). But believe me, I'll make up for it with Tear Ring Saga...if I ever get around to writing the page.

Given the rate and verbosity with which you write blogs, I'm surprised that you haven't already started.

@ArbitraryWater said:

Congrats! I mean, I stopped seriously editing the wiki past the heydays of 2008 when the submission que was backed up to no end, but I've messed with it here and there. Basically, my problem is that I can't really write in the objective style a wiki demands, being far more proficient in the subjective "Here is my opinion on this old CRPG that most of you have never heard of" and the analytical "Here is what these historical documents mean about the Spanish conquest of the Americas". For as weird as it sounds, I have trouble regurgitating information in a way that makes it interesting without inserting my own opinion on the subject, my most major contribution basically being the entirety of the Diablo Hellfire page. Who knows? Maybe I'll do something on some of the other, more obscure stuff I've played... except all of the game pages I just checked have excellent well-written wiki pages. That Wizardry 8 page? Amazing. Also, what the hell is up with the story section for Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu? It's.... so.... long.... And Video Game King isn't even the top contributor.

Also, Veggimite is gross. I can fully understand and enjoy Western Europe's fascination with chocolate-hazelnut spread, but veggimite is pretty much the opposite of that. In that it's horrible, but also extremely good for you.

Well, like everything, it requires some practice. But you do write excellent blogs on old CRPGs, I'll give you that.

And are we sure that the author of that Wizardry 8 page isn't Dave in disguise? My goodness.

Somehow, a tube of Vegemite ended up in the kitchen at my workplace. I'm not entirely sure where it came from, but I'm afraid to try it. Though, my manager apparently likes the stuff, so hey, I guess I could earn some useless bonus points by eating it.

@MEATBALL said:

Nice work duder.

Thanks, duder.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iam3green

congrats on that. it must have been hard work. i tried doing one a couple of times.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hailinel

@iam3green said:

congrats on that. it must have been hard work. i tried doing one a couple of times.

Thanks. Some pages are honestly harder to fill out than others, but it's really just the difference between games I know really well versus games I need to do research on. If you can find the right page that clicks with you, you might be able to write something special for it.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Ah! Vegemite is amazing on toast... Bloody pansy Americans. Anyway, congrats! May the Wiki live a long and healthy life. 

Hargreaves93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By Hargreaves93

Conratulations man! The wiki is something I'd love to get into a little bit more. I have been putting a little bit here and there but I want to be more consistent, but hey, it's a pain when your wiki edit total is less than a 1000.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Milkman

I've got over 100k on the Screened wiki but they are almost exclusively on wrestling wiki pages. So, in other words, they're pretty much useless.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By buzz_clik

Man, now I feel like some Vegemite on toast.

Also, the reason Americans don't like it is this: YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. Don't spread it on there impasto, have a bit of decorum and only put a light covering on.

Oh, and congrats on yer milestone!

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@buzz_clik said:

Man, now I feel like some Vegemite on toast.

Also, the reason Americans don't like it is this: YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. Don't spread it on there impasto, have a bit of decorum and only put a light covering on.

Oh, and congrats on yer milestone!

Exactly, you guys put too much of it on!

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#37  Edited By Brackynews

Great success Hailinel, and some well deserved kudos. And of course the wiki points tend not to show the amount of effort involved in cleaning up existing pages. So good job with the "unseen" work too. ;) Also that Queen Zeal page is pretty great.

By the end of 2011 I might... might be able to get within striking distance of 50k, if I really get cracking with all the additions piling up in my drafting docs. It's been a busy couple of years IRL.

I don't truck with that vegemite weaksauce either. Now marmite on the other hand, that's civilization in a jar.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By NathHaw

Great job, Hailinel! You're an asset to this site.

I was just watching a youtube vid of the infamous Wiegraf fight in FF: Tactics earlier, and I was thinking about how much I know about video games; we all know so much.

My family owned arcades when I was growing up, I was fortunate enough to have computers before most other people, I subscribed to a lot of those old magazines that no longer are in circulation, etc. There's so much knowledge stored in our brains that if we took the time to contribute even a small fraction of all of that, we'd make the wiki in Giant Bomb so much more expansive and hopefully ideally personal. I wanna just blog about how much the pinball cabinet of The Addams Family means to me, but I haven't.

There are some potentialities coming up for me in the next few weeks, and I hope that I don't preach so much about wanting to do all of this; I actually get around to it.

Part of the reason I'm talking about this is that I hope that in-house user video uploads are in the near future for subscribers or even non-subscribers. I don't want to use youtube or some other outside source for that purpose.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hailinel

@mylifeforAiur: @buzz_clik: @NekuSakuraba: Your Vegemite consuming ways are mad. Mad, I tell you!

But yeah, you're probably right in that Americans spreead it on too thick. We like our spreads like we like our women. Er...

...Uh, I really don't have any good way to end that misguided analogy. But thanks for the congratulations!

@Hargreaves93 said:

Conratulations man! The wiki is something I'd love to get into a little bit more. I have been putting a little bit here and there but I want to be more consistent, but hey, it's a pain when your wiki edit total is less than a 1000.

Thanks! Yeah, the first thousand can be a slow grind, but once you get past that, it gets a bit easier. Though, you also have to be more mindful of your edits when they can skip right over the queue.

@Milkman said:

I've got over 100k on the Screened wiki but they are almost exclusively on wrestling wiki pages. So, in other words, they're pretty much useless.

That's about 100,000 more wiki points worth of wrestling knowledge than I have. Nice work on that!

@Brackynews said:

Great success Hailinel, and some well deserved kudos. And of course the wiki points tend not to show the amount of effort involved in cleaning up existing pages. So good job with the "unseen" work too. ;) Also that Queen Zeal page is pretty great.

By the end of 2011 I might... might be able to get within striking distance of 50k, if I really get cracking with all the additions piling up in my drafting docs. It's been a busy couple of years IRL.

I don't truck with that vegemite weaksauce either. Now marmite on the other hand, that's civilization in a jar.

Thanks! I'm really happy with the way that page turned out. And I hear you about things getting busy. There have been stretches where it just doesn't seem like I could get anything done in the wiki because of other things going on (though a lot of those things have actually been really darn good, so I have nothing to complain about). Good luck getting to 50,000!

And man, what is it with you guys and your yeast extract spreads? My goodness.

@nrh79: Thanks! And yeah, if more people contributed their knowledge to the wiki, it could start growing much more substantially than it already has. The fact that Giant Bomb expanded to cover pinball as well as video games is great, as well. I'd love to read more about them.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By Karl_Boss

Congrats dude.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hailinel

@Unknown_Pleasures: Thanks, duder.

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By takashichea

Congrats! It's nice to see a wiki editor who shares a passion in Fire Emblem.

My first character page was Aimee from Fire Emblem. I should have created a Fire Emblem fighter page. It would have been cool that way.

As for dirty wiki pages created or worked on, I worked on implied sex scenes for Anime Vice. I'm indifferent to scenes that are straight or gay and get any scenes.

@Slaker117 said:

Great job, man. I kind of wish I would contribute more to the wiki, but most of the stuff I'm knowledgeable about is already filled out, and the lack of clear structural guidelines bothers me in some weird, engineer's mindset way.

Yeah, that what I thought when I came from Anime Vice to do some wiki edit on Giant Bomb's page. At first, the pages like most Nintendo mascots were filled out, and I only had Nintendo games. It's money issues that seems to kill my GB knowledge.

Then, I saw Fire Emblem characters for Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance. Then I slowly work on them. In short, I don't mind having a style guide because the style guide restricts what you can write. I can go full out on those Fire Emblem characters and put a spin on the pages that I could never do on Anime Vice's wiki pages. Later on, I found another series and its characters to work on, Skies of Arcadia (gamecube version).

It's awesome. I think I probably reach 100,000 in 2 years since I'm too busy with Anime Vice and school.

(Sorry for the belated congrats)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hailinel

@takashichea: No apology necessary, but thanks! I've seen your work on the Fire Emblem character pages, and they're crazy in-depth. Nice work!

Anime Vice is a site that I haven't really visited too much. I've made only a scant few edits here and there, but otherwise, I've been focusing all of my wiki efforts here. I am glad that there are people willing to put time and effort into the other WM wikis, though.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By trylks

@LordXavierBritish: Congratulations and thank you and all contributors that keep the site up to date and with so much relevant information. I myself have only 17 points, and I doubt I'll ever get to 100 (I try to spend the least possible time with games, and not to procrastinate, but there are so many ways to procrastinate...), anyways, thank you for your knowledge, time and effort so that when I search I can find the results I search for ;)