Braid is hard: Did you use a guide?......honestly?

AlwaysCrashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlwaysCrashing

I know it's a little old now, but I'm playing Braid now for the first time. I breezed through worlds 2-6, felt really bummed out when I realised unlocking the last level means solving EVERY SINGLE PUZZLE to get the jigsaw pieces.

Now I'm working through and I am kinda enjoying it, but I came up against a couple that I found impossible! I thought about them all day, even when talking to my girl, my family, and my friends, I spent the whole day in a daze, mentally playing the game, trying to think of all possibilities. I came home and used a guide for one, and feel so dirty and like less of a person now.

But surely people didn't finish all the puzzles in Braid without either consulting a guide for a couple or spending hours and hours on it? Right guys? Please, make me feel better about myself.

AlwaysCrashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AlwaysCrashing

Sorry, I mean worlds 2-5. Please don't post spoilers of the last world, I've yet to reach it, and I want to preserve the big twist that I know exists there.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By weltal

Yeah, there were two or three puzzle pieces that I just couldn't figure out so I youtubed them. It does make you feel bad, I agree, but at the same time I'd  feel worse for not completing the game.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tanuki

I found that if I was stuck on a puzzle to just skip it.  If I couldn't figure it out within like... 20 minutes, to just come back to it the next day.  I found that if I spent any longer on the puzzle it meant I was obviously thinking in the wrong direction.  And so I just slept on them and would come back to them the next day, and then I'd go, "ooooh, I see!  That's clever!".  In the end I got every puzzle piece without a guide.  Just don't think so hard.  They look complicated, but just remember they're not NEARLY as complex as your mind may think they are.

-Edited for spelling

ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ShiroMe

No guide. Once I started I couldn't stop, and a couple hours later the game was solved. Just keep at it and forget about the visuals and look closely at the laws of each world.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

Nope.  I just got drunk and high.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

I did after i'd moved onto other things after several months and wanted to see the end. Though, I did feel incredibly cheap doing it.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24

Uh...I used a guide a few times. Nothing to hamper my enjoyment at all.  Here's what: watch the youtube walkthroughs or something, but don't watch them again or more than one time. You get a taste of what to do, but you don't get totally handheld, because you might forget a few things, eh?

HelixSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HelixSnake
jakob187 said:
"Nope.  I just got drunk and high."
This shit makes Braid make more sense and easier to play. I think it was designed with that in mind.
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Yeah, for like two puzzles. Didnt feel bad about it either...when you arent having fun with a game anymore over something like that, it's time to break out the guide.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I had to cheat on 3 puzzles. I feel pretty good about having figured out all the rest on my own, though some of them did take quite a bit of time and required me to come back to them again and again before the answer presented itself to me. One great thing about the presentation of the game is that you can replay levels whenever you want, and it tells you which areas you still need to complete. So believe me, if you want to complete them without cheating, you're going to need to spend a lot of time with some of these puzzles.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By CoolDrMoney

I didn't use any guides. There were a handful of roadblocks for me, but i just screwed around with the time mechanics and level until I had a eureka moment.