Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff
No Caption Provided

Welcome to 2013. The 20Doz is gone forever. And soon the Data Dump will be as well. Unfortunately, the metrics that I use to grab all these charts from are not built into the new site yet, which means that this is the last edition of the Data Dump at least for a long while. Rather than just doing a post based on December data, let's just wrap it up by looking at 2012 as a whole and look at who were some of the top users and pages on the site for the year.

Letters & Numbers

Here's some totals from the year.

• 592 Articles
  • 953 Videos
  • 33,000+ Forum Topics Created
  • 374,000+ Comments
  • 3000+ User Reviews
  • 8000+ Blogs
  • 140,000+ Wiki Submissions

Blogs

By almost reaching the century mark, truly was the king of the blogs in 2012.

No Caption Provided

Forums

had nearly twice as many posts as anyone else in 2012. That's...probably not healthy. , , and also broke the 1000 landmark in terms of comments.

No Caption Provided

Clearly, videos get the most activity in terms of comments. actually created more new topics than Patrick did, which is kind of crazy. Unsurprisingly, Mass Effect 3 was the most active game forum. I wouldn't have guessed Guild Wars 2 would be #2 though. And the wrestling thread was far and away the most active topic of the year nearly doubling that of the anime thread. Giant Bomb is your go-to source for all things Antonio Cesaro.

Quests

Okay, you know we haven't had any new quests since Christmas 2011, but I had to post this chart because seriously...what the fuck happened in March?

No Caption Provided

Reviews

No real surprises in the top ten most user reviewed games. The only 2011 release on the list is Skyrim at #10. And the only console exclusives on the list are Halo 4 and Journey.

No Caption Provided

The Giant Bomb community's favorite number seems to be 8 (or 4 stars). And left everyone in the dust in terms of the number of user reviews posted..

Video

The #1 most watched video on Giant Bomb in 2012 was... The SSX Quick Look? Really? I mean...I love SSX more than most, but...huh. The only explanation here is the powerful influence of the man known as .

No Caption Provided

I don't know why is listed twice on the top video commenters chart, but I think it's safe to say he got the #1 spot. Clearly Alex posted the most videos to the site in 2012, but I think something's wrong with that tracker. It says that I uploaded 69 videos, but I remember counting close to 100 or maybe a little over that when I was uploading them during E3 2012. Who knows. I'll take credit for that massive spike in June, though!

Wiki

Unfortunately, the metric for wiki points seems to be broken. So, the only means I have of determining the top wiki editors in 2012 is based on number of edits made. It's probably not the fairest way to do it, but I figure is deserving anyway.

No Caption Provided

ZombiePie has been watching the wiki queue like a hawk all year. Someone out there has been doing the dirty work of adding Release data to the site. So much so that there were more new Release pages than any other type of page on the site. On the submissions chart, you can see that the moderators are still doing about 20% of the approvals of wiki edits. And it's no surprise that game pages are far and away the most edited page type.

These are the top 10 9 most active wiki pages in terms of number of edits made. What's that one at the end?

No Caption Provided

The End

It's no secret at this point that I'm a stats junkie. Hell, I even admitted it over three years ago. So, I've had fun doing this stuff for the last six months or so. Maybe it'll return one day, but I hope some of you have enjoyed looking at some dumb bar graphs once a month.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Marino said:

had nearly twice as many posts as anyone else in 2012. That's...probably not healthy.

*glare*

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SexyToad

Hey I'm on a graph! One of the topic makers!

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Hizang

@SexyToad said:

Hey I'm on a graph! One of the topic makers!

Bow down before me!

It is kind of crazy, but hey his were mostly relevant to the site where as mine were about any thing that popped into my head. Still, I may print this off and frame it.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#5  Edited By MeatSim

Lower case s me beat upper case S me.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#6  Edited By bobafettjm

Bravo good sir on all the work you have been doing to post these. I will be sad to see them go as I love seeing all of the stats for this stuff and the achievements. Hopefully they can one day make a return.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Animasta

there is no prize for 4th place is there ;_;

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By musubi

All Hail the wrestling thread! , , , , , , ,

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By turboman

The Wrestling Thread is the best in the world!

#RESPECT

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#10  Edited By Mento  Moderator

@Video_Game_King: I figured you'd be glaring at the first graph's comment. I don't feel comfortable being called "the King of Blogs" around here.

90-something sounded like way too many, but then I remembered May Madness and Desura December. Still, kind of shocked there wasn't some anonymous soul publishing a dozen blogs a day out there somewhere.

Thanks for the hard work with all these graphs over the months. I take it we're getting the new site before the end of January, then? (I'm sure Dave explained it on yesterday's Sleeping Dogs DLC QL, but I was too entranced by Vinny's amusingly violent sociopathy to notice.)

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Marino  Staff

@Mento: That's the plan. Either way, this seems like a good place to end it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Animasta said:

there is no prize for 4th place is there ;_;

This was the first Google image result for
This was the first Google image result for "fourth place prize", so...no?
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By mracoon

Thanks for making all of these Marino, always cool to see the raw stats of what's going on in the community. This reminded me that Wiki Tasks are also not going to (initially) be in the new site and I need to some kind of send off for them.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By joshthebear
No Caption Provided
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

Interesting stuff.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pyromagnestir

Ok I'm pretty sure I had like 600 posts when this thread started and I've got 2300 now... By my calculation that's 1700 posts since May. I'm not 100% sure about this, but something seems wrong.

Yep. Like 95% of my posts seem to have come from this year. I want the shame I rightfully deserve for giving @Video_Game_King: a run for his money!

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#17  Edited By Slag

This feature was fantastic, I'm really going to miss it.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By MetalGearSunny

...artofwar?

ragbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ragbag

@Marino said:

Giant Bomb is your go-to source for all things Antonio Cesaro.
No Caption Provided
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#20  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

It's sad to this blog feature go, but hey thanks for doing it as always!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By gamer_152

Damn, I'm gonna be sad to see the Data Dump go. It's been good stuff while it's lasted, keep up the crazy degree of wiki work Marino.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By musubi

@pyromagnestir said:

Ok I'm pretty sure I had like 600 posts when this thread started and I've got 2300 now... By my calculation that's 1700 posts since May. I'm not 100% sure about this, but something seems wrong.

Yep. Like 95% of my posts seem to have come from this year. I want the shame I rightfully deserve for giving @Video_Game_King: a run for his money!

Same here I know my posting has severely ramped up over the past year.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King

@pyromagnestir said:

You're not even on the graph :|.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Branthog

Giant Bomb should provide database access to any users who want to register to have it (or premium members -- whatever). Anonymize any data that isn't normally publicly available through the site and either set up a slave db that is uneditable or just provide a weekly or monthly gzipped SQL file that those of us interested in playing with data could import and run reports on, as we like. Hell, charge a buck per download/update for it and use a license that restricts uses that fall outside of what you guys would feel comfortable having it used for.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Video_Game_King:

That's my point! I should be #2 with somewhere around 2000 posts for the year! But for some reason my posts don't seem to count.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King

@pyromagnestir said:

@Video_Game_King:

That's my point! I should be #2 with somewhere around 2000 posts for the year! But for some reason my posts don't seem to count.

I'm guessing because a lot of those were in blogs, which don't count for forum posts half the time, for whatever reason. (Go double check it in the forum tab on your profile...somehow.)

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Video_Game_King said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@Video_Game_King:

I'm guessing because a lot of those were in blogs, which don't count for forum posts half the time, for whatever reason. (Go double check it in the forum tab on your profile...somehow.)

Well that would take a lot of work and I'm not that committed to this cause. But I didn't post that much in blogs. I'll make a wild guess and say that takes away 200 at most.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Video_Game_King

@pyromagnestir:

No, I mean comments you make in blogs only kinda-half-count.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Video_Game_King:

That's what I meant as well. I don't make any blogs of my own, if that's what you're saying.

Fuck now I'm not even sure what you mean.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#30  Edited By Hailinel

I'm seriously not sure how I ended up with over 16,000 forum posts in the past four years. I mean, yeah, I post a lot, But that would mean I posted in excess of 3,000-4,000 posts a year from 2008-2011.

What.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Video_Game_King

@pyromagnestir:

For instance, the posts we're making here probably wouldn't count toward the stats Marino's counting. These posts don't show up in the Forums tab on our profile pages.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jrinswand
@Marino: I just watched that video with you in it from PAX 09. You weren't wearing an Alabama football hat, were you? It looks familiar for some reason.
Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Marino  Staff

@Jrinswand said:

@Marino: I just watched that video with you in it from PAX 09. You weren't wearing an Alabama football hat, were you? It looks familiar for some reason.

That was an Atlanta Braves hat. I do wear an Alabama hat often as well though. And the "A" on each of their logos is fairly similar.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jrinswand
@Marino said:

@Jrinswand said:

That was an Atlanta Braves hat. I do wear an Alabama hat often as well though. And the "A" on each of their logos is fairly similar.

Oh yeah, that's right. I was just wondering whether we had another Alabamian in our midst. I see people with Roll Tide/War Eagle avatars from time to time. I live in Auburn myself but don't really care about sports one way or another. 

So what does your job as a staffer entail, other than making really elaborate statistics posts? Will your job be very different (if at all) once the new site goes live?
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Video_Game_King:

Huh. Your right. They don't. But it still says I have 2050 posts. And there are 103 pages of posts. Posts from within this year start at page 96 of 103. A little math voodoo suggests that means I have roughly 1900 posts from within the past year that count by that metric, yet I'm not on the chart.

*shrugs

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By nightriff

Favorite blog feature, hope you can find time to do these again but I understand, these will be missed...sniff

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Marino  Staff

@Nightriff said:

Favorite blog feature, hope you can find time to do these again but I understand, these will be missed...sniff

It's not about the time available, it's simply that the metrics that keep track of all this stuff aren't built into the new site. Unlike the achievement and review data that I post, I'm not actually compiling the data for this myself. All I'm really doing on this is screencapping the graphs that are available and adding a little commentary.

@Jrinswand said:

@Marino said:

So what does your job as a staffer entail, other than making really elaborate statistics posts? Will your job be very different (if at all) once the new site goes live?

I'm not actually a "real" staff member. I'm really just a moderator with some extra staff powers. I was originally given them so that I could help during E3 2012 while everyone else was in LA. If you watched any trailers during E3 last year, that was probably me that uploaded it. Since then, I've just used the extra features I have access to to do stuff like this and keep the Community stuff on the front page current.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Marino  Staff

@Jrinswand said:

Oh yeah, that's right. I was just wondering whether we had another Alabamian in our midst. I see people with Roll Tide/War Eagle avatars from time to time. I live in Auburn myself but don't really care about sports one way or another.

Somehow missed this part earlier. But, yeah, I'm totally on the Crimson side of the fence in that war. My dad is from Gadsden, AL and always had Bama stuff around the house. Our labrador we had when I was a kid was even named Bama. So even though I grew up in GA, I've always been a Tide fan.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By csl316

Oh damn, how did I break almost 1000 posts? Stupid new commute, that's how.