EpicSteve's Guide to Playing Videogames

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

Edited By EpicSteve

Do you find yourself getting lost in Final Fantasy XIII? Do you not know your d-pad from your face buttons? Maybe you aren't the best Super Street Fighter IV player. Then look no further! These exclusive pro-tips used by MLG players, John Carmack, and Captain Picard will increase your gaming ability by 100%! Training of this magnitude can cost people hundreds of dollars! However, I'm giving them to you for FREE! Simply post your social security number, full name, drivers license number, bank account number, last three schools you attended, two phone numbers, mother's maiden name, your doctor's information, your employer's information, address, age, and credit card number below.    

1. Shoot those guys! 

In most games, you're typically defending yourself against waves of relentless foes or mercilessly murdering anyone that doesn't look like you. In Call of Duty, it's easy. The player simply has to hold down the trigger and proceed to walk forward. However, titles like Fallout 3 or Grand Theft Auto throw some curve balls.

Depending on how the game is designed, there may be civilians or other targets you don't want to harm through collateral damage. Killing a pedestrian in Grand Theft Auto will trigger a fight with local law enforcement. In Fallout 3 you run the risk of killing a potential ally or quest giver. Other people in the game's world may frown upon murder, therefore hindering your future progress. Some games may require you to be more tactical in how you approach encounters such as Arma. In Left 4 Dead, it's imperative the player knows the layout of the level and have constant situational awareness. While Left 4 Dead doesn't rely on headshots or tactical play, there's a strong emphasis on coordinated play and controlling the situation.

Regardless of whatever game you're playing, if you're given a gun you need to shoot dudes who want to shoot you. Not shooting guys will result in failure. If all the enemies are dead, there's no one that can kill you, right?

2. Get that stuff

A voluminous amount of games revolve around gathering resources in order to properly play or merely progress. World of Warcraft,Torchlight, and Diablo are primarily about collecting “phat loot”. It's all about getting a sword that deals larger DPS, bigger shoulder pads, or a more powerful wand. Not looting bodies will run you the risk of missing out on rare items and useful potions.

It's not all about the loot. In certain games, the player will have to scavenge for ammo and other items in order to survive. Gathering weapons and ammo in Halo isn't necessarily designed for players to explore the enviornment and discover a hidden chest or something. But in other games like Dead Space and Bioshock, the bulk of your inventory won't be gathered by simply walking over your dead foes.

It takes some getting used to understanding the differences of which games will entice you to explore for new stuff. The Legend of Zelda revolves around solving environmental puzzles to access new items, World of Warcraft asks players to complete quests and kill difficult bosses for a chance to get new items, and in Call of Duty you simply walk over corpses to gather ammo automatically. Regardless of what game you're playing, you have to get stuff to be successful. 

3. Don't get hit

It's a simple concept. Most failure in games are due to the player dying. Dying is typically a result of the player getting hit by a lethal attack from an enemy. Not getting hit should be at the top of any gamer's priority list, for it's imperative for success. If you follow this simple rule, you can be the next world champion in Street Fighter or Halo. Maybe you want to be at the top of the Smash TV leaderboards or want to finish Mega Man 9? This is a crucial tip for anyone who plays videogames.

4. Talk to those people

A lot of progression in modern videogames revolves around having the player engage in conversation with NPCs. Characters in the game world can have quests, tips, or in some cases items to give to the player. Most people of interest have some visual indication that can be a viable asset to the player. This can be an exclamation mark over their heads, they can be standing in a glowing circle, or in some cases standing in an obvious spot that catches the player's eye.

In most cases when you're playing videogames, if something catches your eye it's probably worth checking out. Now we're getting into an age were the game's plot can rest on how god or bad you treat other characters. You might be able to get certain things out of people by being an asshole, but treating other characters with a positive moral compass might earn you rewards down the road.

5. Use More Skill

So you can't control weither or not you get hit. The puzzles are too damn hard. Is this your fault, or is the game just jacked up? In most situations it's your fault. If you're unable to get your kill/death ratio in the positives while playing Quake, using more skill will probably improve your game. A lot of people complain about not being able to play fighting game correctly. Well, if you utilize more skill you will be hard-pressed to not find better performance in your game.

I play a Tank in World of Warcraft. It was hard for me to generate and maintain the aggro I needed to keep mobs off of my DPS guys. This is when I came up with the idea to use more skill. After that, I'm holding 5 mobs at once and I'm the only member of my party that's taking damage. My healer loves me!

6. Don't suck

If you fail at using more skill, you might suffer from an illness called “sucking”. Well, have you thought about not sucking? When a player sucks, it's hard for them to win or even simply progress through a single player game.

When gamers simply not suck, their success rate in videogames go up 100%. Remember, no one likes a shitbag. 

7. Shoot better

A lot of games involve shooting. In the last decade especially, shooting has become reliant on accuracy. Headshots should take priority in the majority of modern shooting games. Players that shoot center mass or not even hit their target won't be having good scores in Halo and will have a rough time getting through Left 4 Dead.

Shooting better will result in more enemies being killed faster, thus eliminating all obsticles and allow easier progress through a game or guarentee victory in an online match. Shoot those guys! In most cases you want to shoot dudes in the head and shoot dudes quickly. Speed is key!

8. Stop Dying 

And here's the granddaddy of all tips, stop dying. Virtually all games are designed for players to overcome an obstacle. Failure to do so typically involves in-game death which wins the player nothing other than a gameover screen. You may be able to survive skipping over a couple of the above tips but whatever you do, do not skip number 8. 
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

Do you find yourself getting lost in Final Fantasy XIII? Do you not know your d-pad from your face buttons? Maybe you aren't the best Super Street Fighter IV player. Then look no further! These exclusive pro-tips used by MLG players, John Carmack, and Captain Picard will increase your gaming ability by 100%! Training of this magnitude can cost people hundreds of dollars! However, I'm giving them to you for FREE! Simply post your social security number, full name, drivers license number, bank account number, last three schools you attended, two phone numbers, mother's maiden name, your doctor's information, your employer's information, address, age, and credit card number below.    

1. Shoot those guys! 

In most games, you're typically defending yourself against waves of relentless foes or mercilessly murdering anyone that doesn't look like you. In Call of Duty, it's easy. The player simply has to hold down the trigger and proceed to walk forward. However, titles like Fallout 3 or Grand Theft Auto throw some curve balls.

Depending on how the game is designed, there may be civilians or other targets you don't want to harm through collateral damage. Killing a pedestrian in Grand Theft Auto will trigger a fight with local law enforcement. In Fallout 3 you run the risk of killing a potential ally or quest giver. Other people in the game's world may frown upon murder, therefore hindering your future progress. Some games may require you to be more tactical in how you approach encounters such as Arma. In Left 4 Dead, it's imperative the player knows the layout of the level and have constant situational awareness. While Left 4 Dead doesn't rely on headshots or tactical play, there's a strong emphasis on coordinated play and controlling the situation.

Regardless of whatever game you're playing, if you're given a gun you need to shoot dudes who want to shoot you. Not shooting guys will result in failure. If all the enemies are dead, there's no one that can kill you, right?

2. Get that stuff

A voluminous amount of games revolve around gathering resources in order to properly play or merely progress. World of Warcraft,Torchlight, and Diablo are primarily about collecting “phat loot”. It's all about getting a sword that deals larger DPS, bigger shoulder pads, or a more powerful wand. Not looting bodies will run you the risk of missing out on rare items and useful potions.

It's not all about the loot. In certain games, the player will have to scavenge for ammo and other items in order to survive. Gathering weapons and ammo in Halo isn't necessarily designed for players to explore the enviornment and discover a hidden chest or something. But in other games like Dead Space and Bioshock, the bulk of your inventory won't be gathered by simply walking over your dead foes.

It takes some getting used to understanding the differences of which games will entice you to explore for new stuff. The Legend of Zelda revolves around solving environmental puzzles to access new items, World of Warcraft asks players to complete quests and kill difficult bosses for a chance to get new items, and in Call of Duty you simply walk over corpses to gather ammo automatically. Regardless of what game you're playing, you have to get stuff to be successful. 

3. Don't get hit

It's a simple concept. Most failure in games are due to the player dying. Dying is typically a result of the player getting hit by a lethal attack from an enemy. Not getting hit should be at the top of any gamer's priority list, for it's imperative for success. If you follow this simple rule, you can be the next world champion in Street Fighter or Halo. Maybe you want to be at the top of the Smash TV leaderboards or want to finish Mega Man 9? This is a crucial tip for anyone who plays videogames.

4. Talk to those people

A lot of progression in modern videogames revolves around having the player engage in conversation with NPCs. Characters in the game world can have quests, tips, or in some cases items to give to the player. Most people of interest have some visual indication that can be a viable asset to the player. This can be an exclamation mark over their heads, they can be standing in a glowing circle, or in some cases standing in an obvious spot that catches the player's eye.

In most cases when you're playing videogames, if something catches your eye it's probably worth checking out. Now we're getting into an age were the game's plot can rest on how god or bad you treat other characters. You might be able to get certain things out of people by being an asshole, but treating other characters with a positive moral compass might earn you rewards down the road.

5. Use More Skill

So you can't control weither or not you get hit. The puzzles are too damn hard. Is this your fault, or is the game just jacked up? In most situations it's your fault. If you're unable to get your kill/death ratio in the positives while playing Quake, using more skill will probably improve your game. A lot of people complain about not being able to play fighting game correctly. Well, if you utilize more skill you will be hard-pressed to not find better performance in your game.

I play a Tank in World of Warcraft. It was hard for me to generate and maintain the aggro I needed to keep mobs off of my DPS guys. This is when I came up with the idea to use more skill. After that, I'm holding 5 mobs at once and I'm the only member of my party that's taking damage. My healer loves me!

6. Don't suck

If you fail at using more skill, you might suffer from an illness called “sucking”. Well, have you thought about not sucking? When a player sucks, it's hard for them to win or even simply progress through a single player game.

When gamers simply not suck, their success rate in videogames go up 100%. Remember, no one likes a shitbag. 

7. Shoot better

A lot of games involve shooting. In the last decade especially, shooting has become reliant on accuracy. Headshots should take priority in the majority of modern shooting games. Players that shoot center mass or not even hit their target won't be having good scores in Halo and will have a rough time getting through Left 4 Dead.

Shooting better will result in more enemies being killed faster, thus eliminating all obsticles and allow easier progress through a game or guarentee victory in an online match. Shoot those guys! In most cases you want to shoot dudes in the head and shoot dudes quickly. Speed is key!

8. Stop Dying 

And here's the granddaddy of all tips, stop dying. Virtually all games are designed for players to overcome an obstacle. Failure to do so typically involves in-game death which wins the player nothing other than a gameover screen. You may be able to survive skipping over a couple of the above tips but whatever you do, do not skip number 8. 
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dany

Hmm, I figured out use more skill, talk to people and get that stuff but the rest is really interesting. I'll try ASAP and see how it works

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By benpack

Man I dunno, this seems like it's encroaching on "Garry Whitta's Patented Guide to Playing Video Games ™. "

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

I would add being patient. I died in games like GTA IV and Red Dead because I went in guns blazing. Outcome... dead. I just started playing Far Cry 2 and again, I wasn't patient and...dead.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By FourWude

This guide me 20% better just by reading it. 

To summarise this guide: Stop being shit at videogames.

Kieran_ES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Kieran_ES

Where has this been all my gaming life!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

How guides have changed. I remember when there was a whole section dedicated to cheat codes =O

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EpicSteve
@Abyssfull said:
" How guides have changed. I remember when there was a whole section dedicated to cheat codes =O "
I'm currently thinking about more projects in the future to assist the gaming community. If that's what you want, you might be happy in the future. 
hencook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By hencook

Left4Dead does have headshots. 2 does at least.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

All, amazing tips! Surely my gaming will improve now. 

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By jorbear

Have you forwarded this to Brad yet?

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By carlthenimrod
Pro-tip: Never punch an explosive barrel.
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By csl316

#2 and #8 are revelations for me, thank you so much.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By ssj4raditz

Captain Picard used these tips? Then they must be fool-proof!

Mattxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Mattxx

Maybe I can finally finish my run of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on Hard with this information, thanks.

fitzoperfecto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By fitzoperfecto

"Meet the winning conditions" always seemed like my best word of advice for gaming.  But that's because I am not much of a talker.  Now I can direct people to the 8 simple tips.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Dalai

Now I know where I've been going wrong all these years.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rockanomics

You forgot "Punch punch punch!"

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iam3green

nice guide lol. very simple things that most people know about.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By JJWeatherman

This is pretty good stuff.  :) 

You totally didn't credit Gary Whitta though. Didn't you know? He invented: "Shoot that guy!"

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lead_farmer

I like step 4

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By mordukai
@EpicSteve:  Ohh man...You got me with #6.
Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Oni

These tips could do wonders for one Brad S.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#24  Edited By Soap

ahhh that is what I was doing wrong!  
@Oni said:

" These tips could do wonders for one Brad S. "
Also this :P
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Daveyo520

Use more skill.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Oh, shoot those guys! 

I knew I was doing something wrong.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#27  Edited By Little_Socrates

The only thing that would've made this funnier is if they'd all just been completely random numbers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does jumping qualify as skill?

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Example1013

In Street Fighter, there's really only one way to win: 

Hadouken! Hadouken! Hadouken! Hadouken! Shoryuken! Hadouken! Hadouken! Hadouken! Hadouken! Shinku Hadouken! 

And you win! 

EDIT: I should totally put this in the guide section for SSFIV. It's good for like half the characters in that game.

DoubleKR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DoubleKR

"Remember, no one likes a shitbag."