woltkezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By woltkezero

Was hoping for a new GAME CONSOLE with built in iTUNES....;-( 

APPLE ONLY YOU CAN DISAPPOINTMENT ME THIS MUCH......no I take that back..Your number 2.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By Atlas

I see what you did there.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Megalon

I'm sure you weren't seriously expecting an Apple game console...but still, iPad sounds kinda lame. I thought iSlate was better.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By nanikore

They announced it already?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB

I'm baffled... sort of blown away with how little I care about it so far. I'm not seeing any advantages over using a laptop. In fact, there are many, many disadvantages. Even if they start talking about gaming soon, I'm really not interested.

I'm also waiting to hear the price tag on this thing. That'll be the big decider.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AndrewB

The problem is that, so far, everything they're talking about is marketing the device towards the casual market. The youtube browsers. The facebook crowd. Just seeing some movies, but... what advantage is there to watch movies on a tablet over a TV, a Laptop, or mobile phone?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AndrewB
@woltkezero said:

" @AndrewB: I guess the only advantage would be that the device is lighter then most Laptops and Larger than All Mobile Phones and that you can Take it with you unlike TVs..  I Wonder How much the HP Slate will cost compared to the iPad???   "

If I'm going to lugging around a large device, I'd much rather it be an ever so slightly heavier laptop that has a screen that's protected from scratches. Pretty much the only difference between this and my Macbook is an extra layer of aluminum adding the clamshell design.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By iam3green

what are u talking about?

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By jNerd

Fuck the iTablet and FUCK Apple in the gaming industry. They barely belong in the computer business, nonetheless trying to get into the game industry.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AndrewB
@iam3green said:
" what are u talking about? "
Apple's event is live right now, unveiling their tablet PC.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By TheHBK

It seems pretty retarded, to trade this in for a laptop which is what they are hoping people will do while on the go.  We have to wait and see how much it costs.  But damn, Apple needs to shut the fuck up about gaming.  No other phone company talks about it though they can all play tetris.  The only reason games are even mentioned is because they are downloaded a lot.  Because they are free or cheap.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nanikore
@jNerd: Wow, you've really got a hard-on for PCs, don't you. Like some guy before me said, Apple were the ones who made it so you got to have a computer in your own home. Be grateful, you little prick.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fwylo
nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By nick_verissimo

After reading the little write up on engadget this device seems pretty useless and just seems like an oversized iPod Touch with more Macbook like functionality.  I really don't know who this is being marketed to.  @AndrewB said it best:

" The problem is that, so far, everything they're talking about is marketing the device towards the casual market. The youtube browsers. The facebook crowd. Just seeing some movies, but... what advantage is there to watch movies on a tablet over a TV, a Laptop, or mobile phone? "
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AndrewB

Alright, gaming is coming up.

Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Magresda

Apple is doing so amazingly well with the games on the App Store, why the hell would they release a gaming console? They've already got the casual gaming market in the palm of their hand, releasing their own console makes no sense. 

This device looks really sweet, and I can definitely see several uses for it - however, it all depends on the price. 

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fwylo
@woltkezero: $699.99 USD
nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nanikore
@fwylo said:
" @woltkezero: $699.99 USD "
That's pretty cheap for an Apple product. 
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fwylo
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AndrewB

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Images courtesy of Engadget.

Also, probably much more meaningful if you see it in motion.

Edit: argh, I got beat to the punch.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Emilio

I'm only interested in it if I can install Photoshop 7 and draw on it with a pen.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AndrewB

Wow, talk about direct competition with the Kindle. They actually showed the Kindle when they were talking about books.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r

So, it's a netbook - keyboard + touchscreen. I think I'd prefer to have the keyboard in there also. Maybe detachable clam shell like. I'm not interested either way though, it does nothing new for media/browsing which means all that's left to differentiate it is gaming. I doubt it's gonna be a platform gamers care about without an actual controller for it. I mean, sure, market wise it could get big, but it's a whole different market than what we lot are into, and more of a side activity for any developer who wants some more cash. This is just gonna have better looking ipod/phone games if it has better specs. Will such gamers even care that they're better looking? The ipod/phone itself isn't too shabby lately, or soon, with that unreal engine running on it. Maybe this thing will get even less "conventional" games than the ipod/phone since you can't just hold it like a normal portable and use your thumbs for the controls as you can do on an ipod/phone. Playing with your index fingers pushing visual directional and action buttons? Meh, that's only suitable for very specific genres. A RTS for example. Anything involving actual character movement wouldn't quite work out. Unless it was point and click only. So, Diablo-likes are in too I suppose. Though these genres would also have compromises made to the gameplay. This is just a netbook, you can play all sorts of low-spec PC games, casual or otherwise, on a normal netbook already. This seems pretty useless so far.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AndrewB
@Al3xand3r said:
" So, it's a netbook - keyboard + touchscreen. I think I'd prefer to have the keyboard in there also. Maybe detachable clam shell like. I'm not interested either way though, it does nothing new for media/browsing which means all that's left to differentiate it is gaming. I doubt it's gonna be a platform gamers care about without an actual controller for it. I mean, sure, market wise it could get big, but it's a whole different market than what we lot are into, and more of a side activity for any developer who wants some more cash. This is just gonna have better looking ipod/phone games if it has better specs. Will such gamers even care that they're better looking? The ipod/phone itself isn't too shabby lately, or soon, with that unreal engine running on it. Maybe this thing will get even less "conventional" games than the ipod/phone since you can't just hold it like a normal portable and use your thumbs for the controls as you can do on an ipod/phone. Playing with your index fingers pushing visual directional and action buttons? Meh. This is just a netbook, you can play all sorts of low-spec PC games, casual or otherwise, on a normal netbook already. This is useless. "
Which is incredibly funny, because at the beginning of all of this, they bashed netbooks for being slow and clunky. The processor in this thing is a custom 1Ghz. I'm not sure about GPU, but I can't imagine it being better than an Nvidia Ion. Of course, I'd still buy this over a netbook, any day. At least it's got the aesthetic appeal.
Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Magresda
@woltkezero: No, my point is that they wouldn't necessarily make more money with a full-on console. Casual gamers don't want to buy a device specifically for gaming, and the iPhone's gaming strength comes from the fact that it's on your phone. Targeting hardcore gamers sounds even more ludicrous. 
Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Magresda
@AndrewB said:
" @Al3xand3r said:
" So, it's a netbook - keyboard + touchscreen. I think I'd prefer to have the keyboard in there also. Maybe detachable clam shell like. I'm not interested either way though, it does nothing new for media/browsing which means all that's left to differentiate it is gaming. I doubt it's gonna be a platform gamers care about without an actual controller for it. I mean, sure, market wise it could get big, but it's a whole different market than what we lot are into, and more of a side activity for any developer who wants some more cash. This is just gonna have better looking ipod/phone games if it has better specs. Will such gamers even care that they're better looking? The ipod/phone itself isn't too shabby lately, or soon, with that unreal engine running on it. Maybe this thing will get even less "conventional" games than the ipod/phone since you can't just hold it like a normal portable and use your thumbs for the controls as you can do on an ipod/phone. Playing with your index fingers pushing visual directional and action buttons? Meh. This is just a netbook, you can play all sorts of low-spec PC games, casual or otherwise, on a normal netbook already. This is useless. "
Which is incredibly funny, because at the beginning of all of this, they bashed netbooks for being slow and clunky. The processor in this thing is a custom 1Ghz. I'm not sure about GPU, but I can't imagine it being better than an Nvidia Ion. Of course, I'd still buy this over a netbook, any day. At least it's got the aesthetic appeal. "
And knowing Apple the software is most likely the best around. I'm interested in what developers (not just games) can whip up with this thing - Apple is known for having great SDK's. 
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Cube

you actually thought they would come out with a game console? really? 

sheesh

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By mracoon

It looks hideous. Not what I'd usually expect from Apple when it came to aesthetics.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By the8bitNacho
@fwylo said:
" @woltkezero: $699.99 USD "
Not bad.  Initial rumors put it at $1000.
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AndrewB
@Magresda said:

" And knowing Apple the software is most likely the best around. I'm interested in what developers (not just games) can whip up with this thing - Apple is known for having great SDK's.  "

I'll give you that. They definitely put more thought into building software that takes advantages of the hardware than other companies. Although, as I say that, they're unveiling iWork running on the device without any sort of physical keyboard. I really wouldn't want to do my typing on that, regardless of the solution.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By fwylo
@Kombat: Ya It's hard to say.  I could see myself paying 700 for it.  Its not as powerful as a macbook pro or anything like that so they can't put it up there.  But they have to charge for the functionality of the touchscreen shit.

Tough call.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#32  Edited By wefwefasdf

Looks awesome but definitely is not meant for me. If I had to get anything from Apple it would be a MacBook Pro. I have an iPhone and don't really want another touchscreen device.
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AndrewB
@fwylo said:

" @Kombat: Ya It's hard to say.  I could see myself paying 700 for it.  Its not as powerful as a macbook pro or anything like that so they can't put it up there.  But they have to charge for the functionality of the touchscreen shit.  Tough call. "

Technically, the touchscreen doesn't add much of anything to the cost, especially in the bulk that they bought the things in. They also have slower internals, and overall less hardware and exterior to manufacture. Although the big cost will come in the SSD. I imagine the 64GB one costing well over $1000.

Edit: well... maybe not  *that* much, but it'll be what drives the price to the grand mark.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cube
@woltkezero said:
" @Cube said:
"you actually thought they would come out with a game console? really?   sheesh "
No I did'nt think they would make a game console......   I HOPED!!!  Very different huh?  Come on, I read the rumors (on tech) on the internet Websites like the rest of you.. "
yes but if you actually - even for a second - believed in the smallest way apple would make a console, i'm at a loss for words.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fwylo
@AndrewB: I'm just saying, its the idea of it that you'll be paying for.  The fact that its not some other tablet, that its Apple's iPad.  Just Apple upping price because its Apple basically.
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AndrewB
@fwylo said:
" @AndrewB: I'm just saying, its the idea of it that you'll be paying for.  The fact that its not some other tablet, that its Apple's iPad.  Just Apple upping price because its Apple basically. "
Oh, yeah, most definitely. That's the big thing I'm afraid of. My opinion of this device could change with the right pricing, which is why I wait with great anticipation. If it's the typical Apple overcharge, I'm gone. If they ease up a little, it might still have a place.
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AndrewB

Wow, $9.99 for each iWork application (assuming you don't need them all) sounds good.

dutch42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dutch42

man even if i wanted this (which i really don't - not a huge fan of touch screen tech and have a pretty poor history with dead ipods) I would have to wait until the second version is released and all the fuck ups are ironed out.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fwylo

Nice 3G

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AndrewB

Ouch, they lost me on the 3G data plan. $14.99 for 250mb, $29.99 unlimited. At least there's no contract.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By fwylo
@AndrewB: I bet you can tether it with your iPhone
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Cube
@woltkezero said:
" @Cube: Well actually they did in the past..the Pippen back in the earily 90's.  But that was before iTunes, and High speed internet, and so and so on.  The system FAILED because their was to much competion, 3do, Jagaur, SNES, Genesis-32x, PSX, Saturn and even Phillips was making a gaming console... and Turbo Duo too :-|   "
an apple console would fail today for the same reason today.
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By OllyOxenFree

People will still eat this shit up.  Slap an Apple logo and gloss on anything and the masses will purchase it.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fwylo

The bigger issue is that it is a deal through AT&T and that might mean they renewed their contract.  AKA not going with Verizon.  But maybe both I guess.  They do multiple companies here in Canada

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cube
@OllyOxenFree said:
" People will still eat this shit up.  Slap an Apple logo and gloss on anything and the masses will purchase it. "
you mean like apple tv?
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AndrewB

Fuck yeah! $500. I could buy that right now. Of course, that's only 16GB.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fwylo

500, 600, 700 || 16,32,64

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AndrewB

But it also costs a shitton more for the 3G modem model, which is pretty messed up.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By fwylo

Ships in 60 days.  90 for 3G models.

I'm done with this I want to hear about iPhone 4.0

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Hot_Karl
@AndrewB: That's 16 GB without 3G functionality. That'll cost you another $120 on top of that.

Not bad, but besides the iBook thing, what does it really do that an iPhone and a netbook can't?