Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Edited By Jensonb

Wall of Text Alert. Here is a Summary of my Position for Forum Dwellers:

Giant Bomb Community Content is as important as Editorial, and the two should be integrated to give Community Content the same prestige as Editorial, 
which it deserves.

You can read the full Blog Post below. If you wanna speed through it, the highlights are in Bold Italics Underlined.

And the Wall of Text (Highlights are in Bold Italics Underlined):

Recently, a good friend I've made through Giant Bomb, by the name of Sweep, posted this. It's a Blog detailing his thoughts on the Giant Bomb Community Content & how it should be promoted, amongst other related things. If you haven't read it, check it out, it's a good read. He makes a lot of great points - and Jeff has revealed in there that the staff are considering a lot of it.

It, and the discussion that erupted in the comments, got me thinking though. Thinking about the site, where it's come from...Where it's going. Most  thought provoking of all was a sentiment in the comments there that I've seen all the way through the site's life which runs completely counter to what Giant Bomb is all about to me.

That sentiment? "It's their Bomb and we're just living in it."

It usually manifests whenever someone is trying to promote Community content - even the staff. Yep, it's most evident in the comments on the Answers to the QOTY. There it takes the form of people complaining about how much they hate the contributions and how they just want to see and hear from the Editorial Team. In discussions like the one Sweep prompted, it takes the form of people projecting that opinion onto the masses - r epeated claims that "Most people are only here to see what the Staff say", or "the Community is dumb, the only thing worthwhile is the Editorial".

Those statements, made as absolutes as they are, are complete and utter bullshit. I've been here this whole time, right back from when we used the Comments on the Wordpress Blog as a Forum, through the Chatroom on the Justin.tv channel on launch day when I sat up all night waiting for, and eventually playing with, the site, and up until now where the site has ballooned into something much larger than I ever imagined. And through all that time, I have never seen a scrap of evidence that "most people are ONLY here for the Editorial".

Never in all my time on the internet have I ever seen a Community create so much amazing content, so fast, in such a broad array of media as right here at Giant Bomb. Sometimes I sit in awe at the things people have contributed - the Mass Effect 2 Mega Guide, some of the amazingly detailed Wikis, everything ZombiePie does, TurboMan's burger review videos, the sheer masses of Forum Posts and Wiki Points a lot of my fellow users have, awesome Lists like the "Doing a Brad" List, the VOLUME of reviews some users have contributed.

Y ou guys in the Giant Bomb Community make me ashamed of how little I've contributed sometimes. I look back at my largest contribution - The Bomb Should Have A Face Podcast and wonder how we ever thought something as miniscule as a Podcast was supposed to contain a summary of everything you guys are doing. I've been here this whole time, and I'm a nobody. Because Giant Bomb's users are some of the finest content creators on the entire internet. I can't keep up with you! The only place I've come close is in the F1 2009 Wiki - and that's because I think I'm the only significant F1 fan on the site!

And as ashamed as I feel of my own paltry contribution, I feel nothing but pride in Giant Bomb. All of you, together with Editorial, have made this site a joy to use. I've made friends here, launched my pseudo-Career as a broadcaster here and I've spent hours, maybe days, consuming just a tiny portion of what's produced.

So I'm saying here, right now: The belittling of our Community & its contributions has to stop.

A big step in the right direction would be the Bomb Shelter concept Sweep conceived, but it has to go further.The Staff alone can't stop all the hate. Not even with the help of a few Community Managers. If (When) the Staff find a way to get the Content up there alongside Editorial, we have to help. Way back when, a bunch of us tried to use Bomb Should Have A Face to spread the love. It was too small. The "Bomb Shelter" concept requires us to all come together and help eachother, the staff and the mods out. If you see a way to vote up content, or vote it down, use it. If people are in the comments hating on users' content for no reason, consider drowning them out with praise, or constructive criticism. I've been remiss in doing this myself. But no more, It has to be done. I genuinely believe, based on what I've seen since I came here, that there is a whole lotta love in the Giant Bomb Community. Let's use it.

Lastly, I would like to tack something onto Sweep's "Bomb Shelter" idea. I feel that the Engineering team's concept of promoting content on various pages is not flawed. It just needs refining. The "Bomb Shelter" Tab should act as an engine driving which content makes it out into the "Editorial" walled garden. That way, the best content on the site can be seen by those who just read Editorial (Eg, the unregistered lurkers, link followers etc.).

For example, the homepage currently shows a featured review at the bottom, and some Topics. I say, throw that review into the promo bar at the top of the page, with the Editorial. Do the same with the Cream of the Crop in other categories - Blogs, Lists, even Wikis. This has sort of been done in the past. But it's through Jeff or another Editor manually adding in a post, like the one pimping out the Mass Effect 2 Mega Guide, or through the since defunct Weekly Bomb Drop (Which was a fairly inefficient way of doing it - since evolved, via "The Community is Still a Threat" into The Community Spotlight Redux - incidentally my favorite Forum Topic).

Anyway, I didn't mean to ramble on at you so much. My point is, the attitude that Community & Editorial are these two separate walled gardens must end. In the words of Jeff Gerstmann: "building a community of people...is a big part of what Giant Bomb is all about". The Community is in this site's blood. It's pumped through the site's very core, the Wiki Database. It's our Bomb too.

And if that bomb's going to go off, then Bomb Should Have A Face.

PS: That last part was just for old time's sake, I miss the old community show. ;)
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jensonb

Wall of Text Alert. Here is a Summary of my Position for Forum Dwellers:

Giant Bomb Community Content is as important as Editorial, and the two should be integrated to give Community Content the same prestige as Editorial, 
which it deserves.

You can read the full Blog Post below. If you wanna speed through it, the highlights are in Bold Italics Underlined.

And the Wall of Text (Highlights are in Bold Italics Underlined):

Recently, a good friend I've made through Giant Bomb, by the name of Sweep, posted this. It's a Blog detailing his thoughts on the Giant Bomb Community Content & how it should be promoted, amongst other related things. If you haven't read it, check it out, it's a good read. He makes a lot of great points - and Jeff has revealed in there that the staff are considering a lot of it.

It, and the discussion that erupted in the comments, got me thinking though. Thinking about the site, where it's come from...Where it's going. Most  thought provoking of all was a sentiment in the comments there that I've seen all the way through the site's life which runs completely counter to what Giant Bomb is all about to me.

That sentiment? "It's their Bomb and we're just living in it."

It usually manifests whenever someone is trying to promote Community content - even the staff. Yep, it's most evident in the comments on the Answers to the QOTY. There it takes the form of people complaining about how much they hate the contributions and how they just want to see and hear from the Editorial Team. In discussions like the one Sweep prompted, it takes the form of people projecting that opinion onto the masses - r epeated claims that "Most people are only here to see what the Staff say", or "the Community is dumb, the only thing worthwhile is the Editorial".

Those statements, made as absolutes as they are, are complete and utter bullshit. I've been here this whole time, right back from when we used the Comments on the Wordpress Blog as a Forum, through the Chatroom on the Justin.tv channel on launch day when I sat up all night waiting for, and eventually playing with, the site, and up until now where the site has ballooned into something much larger than I ever imagined. And through all that time, I have never seen a scrap of evidence that "most people are ONLY here for the Editorial".

Never in all my time on the internet have I ever seen a Community create so much amazing content, so fast, in such a broad array of media as right here at Giant Bomb. Sometimes I sit in awe at the things people have contributed - the Mass Effect 2 Mega Guide, some of the amazingly detailed Wikis, everything ZombiePie does, TurboMan's burger review videos, the sheer masses of Forum Posts and Wiki Points a lot of my fellow users have, awesome Lists like the "Doing a Brad" List, the VOLUME of reviews some users have contributed.

Y ou guys in the Giant Bomb Community make me ashamed of how little I've contributed sometimes. I look back at my largest contribution - The Bomb Should Have A Face Podcast and wonder how we ever thought something as miniscule as a Podcast was supposed to contain a summary of everything you guys are doing. I've been here this whole time, and I'm a nobody. Because Giant Bomb's users are some of the finest content creators on the entire internet. I can't keep up with you! The only place I've come close is in the F1 2009 Wiki - and that's because I think I'm the only significant F1 fan on the site!

And as ashamed as I feel of my own paltry contribution, I feel nothing but pride in Giant Bomb. All of you, together with Editorial, have made this site a joy to use. I've made friends here, launched my pseudo-Career as a broadcaster here and I've spent hours, maybe days, consuming just a tiny portion of what's produced.

So I'm saying here, right now: The belittling of our Community & its contributions has to stop.

A big step in the right direction would be the Bomb Shelter concept Sweep conceived, but it has to go further.The Staff alone can't stop all the hate. Not even with the help of a few Community Managers. If (When) the Staff find a way to get the Content up there alongside Editorial, we have to help. Way back when, a bunch of us tried to use Bomb Should Have A Face to spread the love. It was too small. The "Bomb Shelter" concept requires us to all come together and help eachother, the staff and the mods out. If you see a way to vote up content, or vote it down, use it. If people are in the comments hating on users' content for no reason, consider drowning them out with praise, or constructive criticism. I've been remiss in doing this myself. But no more, It has to be done. I genuinely believe, based on what I've seen since I came here, that there is a whole lotta love in the Giant Bomb Community. Let's use it.

Lastly, I would like to tack something onto Sweep's "Bomb Shelter" idea. I feel that the Engineering team's concept of promoting content on various pages is not flawed. It just needs refining. The "Bomb Shelter" Tab should act as an engine driving which content makes it out into the "Editorial" walled garden. That way, the best content on the site can be seen by those who just read Editorial (Eg, the unregistered lurkers, link followers etc.).

For example, the homepage currently shows a featured review at the bottom, and some Topics. I say, throw that review into the promo bar at the top of the page, with the Editorial. Do the same with the Cream of the Crop in other categories - Blogs, Lists, even Wikis. This has sort of been done in the past. But it's through Jeff or another Editor manually adding in a post, like the one pimping out the Mass Effect 2 Mega Guide, or through the since defunct Weekly Bomb Drop (Which was a fairly inefficient way of doing it - since evolved, via "The Community is Still a Threat" into The Community Spotlight Redux - incidentally my favorite Forum Topic).

Anyway, I didn't mean to ramble on at you so much. My point is, the attitude that Community & Editorial are these two separate walled gardens must end. In the words of Jeff Gerstmann: "building a community of people...is a big part of what Giant Bomb is all about". The Community is in this site's blood. It's pumped through the site's very core, the Wiki Database. It's our Bomb too.

And if that bomb's going to go off, then Bomb Should Have A Face.

PS: That last part was just for old time's sake, I miss the old community show. ;)
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By LiquidSwords

TL;TR 
So are you with us or against us?
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jensonb
@LiquidSwords: Depends, do you love the Community and what it produces? If so, I'm with you.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Milkman

This site is great and all but this whole "taking pride in a video game website" is more than a little strange. It's just fun. That's all. I have been around this site since day one of, not just the site launch, but "Jeff Gerstmann is Still Alive" and even before that. And I have a whole bunch of posts as you can see. But at the same time, it seems that a lot of other people take this site a lot more seriously than me. I'm not saying that if the site shut down tomorrow, I wouldn't be bummed. But I don't really take pride in my "accomplishments" here, mostly because they're not accomplishments. If anything, all my posts here are just a big waste of time. A fun waste of time but there are certainly better things I could be doing with my time. I don't consider anyone here a "friend" and if the editorial section of this site went away then I definitely wouldn't come back just for the forums. I come for the editorial content. I stay for the community, I guess. Whatever the staff decides to do with this whole "Community Spotlight" thing is up to them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is no matter what, I am going to continue to post about how much the QOTW week sucks, each and every week.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I couldn't agree more. Everyone hating on the community and saying that the site is only good for the staff editorials need to open their eyes. There are tons of good users on the site that creates quality content. I also love Sweep's idea. I really want the "guys upstairs" make it happen.

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By chstupid

No thats what happend to Screwattack.com an it's hard to find stuff.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Snail

Well, that was an amazing read. It made feel reminiscent of the old community, nostalgic, even. All your mentioning of the Community growing, and the website when it was just a blog format. Ha, good times. 

That being said, it's time to get this post started. 

Even though I agree with you in most things you say, I think you missed an important point. Now, I've been around the community for a long time, as you have, I've been practically living on these message boards since the website was launched. I first became a frequent shortly after it was ported from Arrow Pointing down. I love Giant Bomb, I love its community. But the truth is, it is not moved by "love" dude, its moved by hate. Hate and bashing have always been around in Giant Bomb, and if you ask me, it is more absent today than what it was back in the day. With the "heavier" moderation we have going on now the community has a more "adequate" behavior than what it used to have. I remember all the hate and all the bashing. I remember Levio, I remember all the facepalm macros on every freaking thread, I remember the community often scaring off new users on their "I'm new here!" threads (and then Hamz had to go "Knock it off guys, you're being dicks."). That was not love.

But I believe that I understand what you truly are referring to. Not so much the "love" but rather the sense of comradeship, which is probably the best thing about the community. There might be a lot of hate around here, but the Giant Bomb community is everything you say in your post. 

"Never in all my time on the internet have I ever seen a Community create so much amazing content, so fast, in such a broad array of media as right here at Giant Bomb. Sometimes I sit in awe at the things people have contributed..."

Sure, the community is not the same 2000 guys it used to be. It's not really an environment where everyone knows every user around per se, but if you are to compare it to other internet message boards, it is clear that the mood here is a lot more welcoming, we're more of a "family" (don't want to sound too corny here) than any other internet community out there. And that still holds true despite all we have grown. Our comradeship and our dedication is what makes this community feel so unique. 

So, I do agree with you in the changes you propose. I believe this community is kind of going downhill, and that it requires to be interpreted with the correct attitude. We're amazing. That's a fact! Thanks for taking the time to write this. 

P.S.: You should totally bring BSHAF back.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By breadfan
goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By goodwood

So you would like it would be somewhat like bitmob but the community would have its own tab? sounds fine to me.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jensonb

I've modified the Post to make it more palatable for Forum viewers - I never meant for it to get so long...Hopefully it's easier to get through quickly now. @LiquidSwords:  was right about the length.

@Snail: I do know what you mean. I tend to think the hate is a vocal minority. There's a whole lot of goodwill when you talk to people in Chat, or on Skype or on Twitter or something. It just so happens that the haters love to sit in Comment threads and moan, whilst the love is being felt but left unexpressed - that's why I really want everything to have a prominent "ThumbUp" button or something like that, so you can show the love fast.

Also, I would totally bring back the show if I got the impression enough people wanted it. But every time it comes up I get told to let it die.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Binman88
@Jensonb said:

"Giant Bomb Community Content is as important as Editorial,

No, it's not.

@Jensonb said:

"and the two should be integrated to give Community Content the same prestige as Editorial,

No, they shouldn't.

@Jensonb said:

"which it deserves."

No, it doesn't.

By all means, people should contribute whatever they want to this site as they have been doing, but the primary draw for Giant Bomb is it's editorial staff and the content they produce, and that should be the way it remains. For the most part, personally, I couldn't give a flying fuck what the community has to say. People are posting those QOTW complaints for a reason. Most of the submissions are downright abysmal and cringeworthy. There's literally one pair of dudes submitting videos that I actually enjoy.

As for the forums; every forum I've joined eventually has a thread where everyone talks about how great the community is there and how it's not like any other forum on the internet... The forums are fun to mess around in, sure - that's why I hang out in them - but I certainly don't come here for deep, intelligent discussion or for making internet buddies.
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jensonb
@Binman88:  Disagree 100%. Like I said. Giant Bomb was founded with the Community at its core. Community is the lifeblood of Giant Bomb's beating heart - the Wiki Database. Editorial is our shared value and its what brought us together. But it is not the be all and end all. The Community makes lots of great stuff.

As for the QOTW responses...Hardly anybody makes them. The reason being, regardless of quality, most of the comments are just complaints and hating with no constructive criticism. it's a hostile environment, so even if someone has a great idea and the means to pull it off, they're often unwilling to waste the effort just to be demeaned and moaned at. And who can blame them?
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By trophyhunter

" @Jensonb said:

No and if think so go fuck yourself

@Jensonb said:

"and the two should be integrated to give Community Content the same prestige as Editorial,

No no no no no fuck no  nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
some fourm posters should never get the same prestige as any member of any staff

@Jensonb said:

"which it deserves."

No, it doesn't and your delusional
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Binman88
@Jensonb said:
" @Binman88:  Disagree 100%. Like I said. Giant Bomb was founded with the Community at its core. Community is the lifeblood of Giant Bomb's beating heart - the Wiki Database. Editorial is our shared value and its what brought us together. But it is not the be all and end all. The Community makes lots of great stuff.  As for the QOTW responses...Hardly anybody makes them. The reason being, regardless of quality, most of the comments are just complaints and hating with no constructive criticism. it's a hostile environment, so even if someone has a great idea and the means to pull it off, they're often unwilling to waste the effort just to be demeaned and moaned at. And who can blame them? "
Fair enough. For me though, the editorial is the be all and end all of Giant Bomb. If you took the staff and their content away, this website would have zero appeal to me. I don't believe I'm the only one who feels that way.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By trophyhunter

Giantbomb is staff reviews, the bombcast, quicklooks and video features. 
The community does not make any of those things so the community can go to hell for all I care. 
This whole thing your putting out is nothing more than hipster bullshit.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jensonb
@Binman88:  Sure, if you take away Editorial it would suck. Giant Bomb is the sum of its parts. There's lots of great stuff in the Community, that's all I'm saying. It's (More often than you'd think) just as good as Editorial.

@trophyhunter: That's tunnelvision. Your free to have it, but it does not make you right.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By Cube

It's just a website...

Also GB's community isn't all that great.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jkz
@Milkman said:
" This site is great and all but this whole "taking pride in a video game website" is more than a little strange. It's just fun. That's all. I have been around this site since day one of, not just the site launch, but "Jeff Gerstmann is Still Alive" and even before that. And I have a whole bunch of posts as you can see. But at the same time, it seems that a lot of other people take this site a lot more seriously than me. I'm not saying that if the site shut down tomorrow, I wouldn't be bummed. But I don't really take pride in my "accomplishments" here, mostly because they're not accomplishments. If anything, all my posts here are just a big waste of time. A fun waste of time but there are certainly better things I could be doing with my time. I don't consider anyone here a "friend" and if the editorial section of this site went away then I definitely wouldn't come back just for the forums. I come for the editorial content. I stay for the community, I guess. Whatever the staff decides to do with this whole "Community Spotlight" thing is up to them.  I guess what I'm trying to say is no matter what, I am going to continue to post about how much the QOTW week sucks, each and every week. "
Nothing has summed up my feelings on this issue as well as this post.
Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Not_Rage

Do not let the Bshaf die! Your guaranteed at least 1 person will listen to it

Wasn't there a "lost" episode that was recorded last year? You should release that.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jensonb
@Not_Rage:  There are bits of one, yes.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By trophyhunter
@Jensonb said:
" @Binman88:  Sure, if you take away Editorial it would suck. Giant Bomb is the sum of its parts. There's lots of great stuff in the Community, that's all I'm saying. It's (More often than you'd think) just as good as Editorial.

@trophyhunter: That's tunnelvision. Your free to have it, but it does not make you right. "
If the stuff in the community is soooo great. Go enjoy it because the rest of us don't give a shit. 
You just have to learn that no one cares that some guy wrote a great 5 star review for halo or a very well written thing about bioshock. 
Just learn no one cares what some forum poster has to say. As you can see I have alot of posts, I like talking about stuff on here but really I don't give a shit what really anyone has to say.
Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ramyun
@chstupid:  Yeah me too, it felt like everything was a bit too cluttered. However, it would be good to have a separate 'Community Spotlight' so I can find out about this amazing stuff that I've been missing apparently.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@trophyhunter said:
" Giantbomb is staff reviews, the bombcast, quicklooks and video features.  The community does not make any of those things so the community can go to hell for all I care.  This whole thing your putting out is nothing more than hipster bullshit. "
Why are you a registered user then? If you don't care for the community at all, then why contribute to it?
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cube

Honestly I am pretty tired of this crowd on Giant Bomb who act like they are community idols. Nobody gives a shit about you...sweet you guys talk in the IRC and make podcasts but the truth is that you're all so self-important and dramatic you guys come off as Jr. High kids.

Example: AjayRaz. 

Seriously. WHO. GIVES. A. SHIT. You will NOT die because some Ayane loving kid lost their internet. And the whole SuperMooseman thing. OMG THE COVER UP HURF HURF DURRRR.

Sure there are people I follow on this site. But there's only one person who even messages me and isn't totally douchey and internet-dramatic. Bleh.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By trophyhunter
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" Giantbomb is staff reviews, the bombcast, quicklooks and video features.  The community does not make any of those things so the community can go to hell for all I care.  This whole thing your putting out is nothing more than hipster bullshit. "
Why are you a registered user then? If you don't care for the community at all, then why contribute to it? "
Like I said in my post after the one you quoted. I like to talk about games and game news but I honestly in the end don't care what you have to say.
If you want to talk to me about how awesome dragon age is or how awesome disaster report is that's great but if you don't  I don't care.  
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
@Cube: Are you trying to say that for one to support the expansion of the community, they have to be a douche or something? I'm not sure that that's true. I love the community just because there are a lot of cool people on here and I actually like to hear what some of them have to say, not because I want to get noticed or anything. I understand that not everyone feels that way, but there's no reason to just write it off because it doesn't appeal to you.
BackpackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BackpackKat

I agree with you. When I look at the community spotlight and see about half a page are my post of things I have found, or in rare cases created, I feel sad. Some of my favorite things on the site are community focused, such as JohnTheGamer's seaman blog or the awesome list that are made. I wish everyone would feel the way me and you feel, but idk if it will happen. In a perfect world we wouldnt have to wait for a new endurance run or a rapelay QL (JK) because the community would its own page of videos along with the editorial, but that is my own personal dream and I am in the minority. In conclusion Giant Bomb will always rock! but your suggestions would make it rock harder!
RaisingIndiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RaisingIndiana
@trophyhunter said:
" @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @trophyhunter said:
Why are you a registered user then? If you don't care for the community at all, then why contribute to it? "
Like I said in my post after the one you quoted. I like to talk about games and game news but I honestly in the end don't care what you have to say. If you want to talk to me about how awesome dragon age is or how awesome disaster report is that's great but if you don't  I don't care.   "
Disaster Report was pretty damn awesome
LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#29  Edited By LaszloKovacs

Doing a better job of promoting the best user content seems like a good idea - most major outlets do it these days. I liked Sweep's idea. I just don't get the militant attitude or this sense of entitlement. This shit reads like the Communist Manifesto.

@Jensonb said:

" That sentiment? "It's their Bomb and we're just living in it.""

It's like, woah, calm down there with your rejection of the bourgeoisie. Other websites exist if you feel that strongly.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@Cube said:
" Honestly I am pretty tired of this crowd on Giant Bomb who act like they are community idols. Nobody gives a shit about you...sweet you guys talk in the IRC and make podcasts but the truth is that you're all so self-important and dramatic you guys come off as Jr. High kids. "
I talk in the IRC and create podcasts. Do I give a shit about what people think of me? No. I've actually made some friends posting on the site and I never once thought myself of a "community idol."
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By breadfan

What's with all the hate regarding more of a focus on the community? Sure Giant Bomb has awesome videos, great editorial work, and one of the only podcasts I follow, but I really stick around for the community. Before Giant Bomb I never posted on an internet forum, aside from the casual Gamespot browsing.  

For those saying that Giant Bomb is more about the editorial than the community, you are right to some degree. Most users come here simply for game reviews and all that, but a lot of people are here for more than that. Nobody is asking to have their review or something posted on the main page in replacement of the staff's, there are plenty of people who produce interesting content that should have a better outlet to showcase just how great the community here is.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cube
@Dr_Feelgood38 said:
" @Cube: Are you trying to say that for one to support the expansion of the community, they have to be a douche or something? I'm not sure that that's true. I love the community just because there are a lot of cool people on here and I actually like to hear what some of them have to say, not because I want to get noticed or anything. I understand that not everyone feels that way, but there's no reason to just write it off because it doesn't appeal to you. "
No, if I was trying to say that I would have...you know, said it. 
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Milkman
@Cube said:
" Honestly I am pretty tired of this crowd on Giant Bomb who act like they are community idols. Nobody gives a shit about you...sweet you guys talk in the IRC and make podcasts but the truth is that you're all so self-important and dramatic you guys come off as Jr. High kids.   Example: AjayRaz.   Seriously. WHO. GIVES. A. SHIT. You will NOT die because some Ayane loving kid lost their internet. And the whole SuperMooseman thing. OMG THE COVER UP HURF HURF DURRRR.   Sure there are people I follow on this site. But there's only one person who even messages me and isn't totally douchey and internet-dramatic. Bleh. "
Yeah, I'm going to have to also echo this. I never really understood the Giant Bomb "clique".
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By trophyhunter
@RaisingIndiana said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @trophyhunter said:
Like I said in my post after the one you quoted. I like to talk about games and game news but I honestly in the end don't care what you have to say. If you want to talk to me about how awesome dragon age is or how awesome disaster report is that's great but if you don't  I don't care.   "
Disaster Report was pretty damn awesome "
damn straight
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By JJWeatherman

Wow. I can't believe some of the community hating going on in here. I love the community and I think this thread and Sweeps thread make good points.

@Jensonb:
I'd give this thread a thumbs up to "show the love fast" if I could.   : )

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By trophyhunter
@Br3adfan said:

" . Nobody is asking to have their review or something posted on the main page in replacement of the staff's

That's exactingly their asking

@Jensonb said:

@Jensonb

said:

@Jensonb

said:

"which it deserves."

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By breadfan
@trophyhunter said:

" @Br3adfan said:

" . Nobody is asking to have their review or something posted on the main page in replacement of the staff's

That's exactingly their asking

@Jensonb said:

@Jensonb

said:

@Jensonb

said:

"which it deserves."

"
Maybe you should put what I said into context. 

@Br3adfan said: 

Nobody is asking to have their review or something posted on the main page in replacement of the staff's

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jensonb
@trophyhunter: Wrong, I don't recall saying anything about replacing Editorial. i said it should be up there with editorial.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cube
@Jensonb said:
" @trophyhunter: Wrong, I don't recall saying anything about replacing Editorial. i said it should be up there with editorial. "
No, it shouldn't. At all.
Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vamino
@Binman88 said:
For the most part, personally, I couldn't give a flying fuck what the community has to say.  

This. 

I enjoy lurking in the forums, though I only occasionally post myself, but either the forums or community content are not the reason I came to this site or keep coming to this site. It's purely for the editorial content. If it weren't for the fact that four of my favourite personalities from GameSpot run this site, I would not be here. Period.
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
@Cube said:

" @Dr_Feelgood38 said:

" @Cube: Are you trying to say that for one to support the expansion of the community, they have to be a douche or something? I'm not sure that that's true. I love the community just because there are a lot of cool people on here and I actually like to hear what some of them have to say, not because I want to get noticed or anything. I understand that not everyone feels that way, but there's no reason to just write it off because it doesn't appeal to you. "
No, if I was trying to say that I would have...you know, said it.  "
Well, then I apologize. I misinterpreted your first few sentences as a generalization of the people who want something like this to happen. My bad. Though, I still think that people should give this a chance at the very least.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Milkman
@Jensonb said:
" @trophyhunter: Wrong, I don't recall saying anything about replacing Editorial. i said it should be up there with editorial. "
No, it shouldn't. Give the community its own page. But not on the front page. If it was on the front page, it would just drive new viewers away.
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

Frankly I don't care one one thousandth as much what Joe Giant Bomber has to say about a game as I do Vinny, Jeff, Ryan or Brad has to say. They are professionals trained in this field and we are at best enthusiasts. It would make the page ugly and less functional if user editorials got as much room as giant bomb staff content. I think there need to be changes to give more power to the community (more front facing forums, combine forums with almost no posts, better updating of what is going on in your favorite areas when), but this desire just speaks of hubris. 

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By Fallen189
@Cube said:
" Honestly I am pretty tired of this crowd on Giant Bomb who act like they are community idols. Nobody gives a shit about you...sweet you guys talk in the IRC and make podcasts but the truth is that you're all so self-important and dramatic you guys come off as Jr. High kids.   Example: AjayRaz.   Seriously. WHO. GIVES. A. SHIT. You will NOT die because some Ayane loving kid lost their internet. And the whole SuperMooseman thing. OMG THE COVER UP HURF HURF DURRRR.   Sure there are people I follow on this site. But there's only one person who even messages me and isn't totally douchey and internet-dramatic. Bleh. "
As always, you're spot on. It's just a website, really. Granted, the community is relatively active, but it's still just a videogame website. It's no different to any other. For all the hate Gamespot/IGN/Kotaku/ <Insert website here> gets, they're all the same. People can claim "The GB community is just different man, we're all cooler" , but it's just a website. It's not real, you know maybe 1% in real life, and Cube is sexy.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By trophyhunter
@Br3adfan: 
The very idea that something some forum poster says is as important as the staff or should be given the same prestige as the staff is the stupidest thing I've heard.
If they are so great why don't they start a website and run giantbomb out of business.  You know why they don't do that? because no one gives a shit what they have to say.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Cube
@Dr_Feelgood38 said:
" @Cube said:

" @Dr_Feelgood38 said:

No, if I was trying to say that I would have...you know, said it.  "
Well, then I apologize. I misinterpreted your first few sentences as a generalization of the people who want something like this to happen. My bad. Though, I still think that people should give this a chance at the very least. "
I'm not writing off anything, I really did try to get into the whole community thing but I just can't stand the pretentiousness. 

This thread is a platinum example of it.  GB users actually believe their opinions and content is good enough to go on the front page with the editors (some of which have been in this sort of business for over 10 years).

The community needs to realize that Giant Bomb is a business, and not a cesspool where people can shoot the shit. At least, not the front page. There is a reason forums exist.
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jensonb
@trophyhunter:  Why are you so full of hate? What, you don't think people in the community are capable of producing quality content? Have you not, like, bothered to look at it? Have you heard of the Giant Bomb Wiki at all? Check it out some time, I hear it's pretty good.
Eyepatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#48  Edited By Eyepatch

Heh, reading the replies in threads of this subject are a lot like reading old PvP threads on the Alliance side in WoW back in the Classic days. Someone tries to rally the troops and half the replies are, "Meh, we're the Alliance, we suck, so why bother? I wish I was Horde." 

For example, this sort of post:

@Cube said:

If anyone's acting self-important it's you, by over-emphasizing your destructive personal opinion. It's great that you have one and I hope that negativity does well for you in life, but it doesn't exactly make the community any better. If you don't like a community and aren't willing to help it improve, get out and find another one. So many people with similar attitudes fail to realize that THEY are the problem that they so love to complain about. 

Let me remind you of the hypocrisy of such a post as yours -- you sound like a jaded 15 year old sitting in the corner of the classroom, annoyed at the popular jocks, thinking they're completely superficial and none of their "friends" actually like them, while you with your one or two friends and your cynical outlook on life know the "real deal". 

Also, a great example of a typical WoW player's response:

@trophyhunter said:
"If the stuff in the community is soooo great. Go enjoy it because the rest of us don't give a shit.  You just have to learn that no one cares that some guy wrote a great 5 star review for halo or a very well written thing about bioshock.  Just learn no one cares what some forum poster has to say. As you can see I have alot of posts, I like talking about stuff on here but really I don't give a shit what really anyone has to say. "
Apathy makes the world go round, doesn't it?

"I don't care if I just jacked all that loot that guild worked hard to get, it's just a game and I couldn't give a shit about these people." And yet these people have no problem letting everyone know their opinion. Seriously -- this is a fucked up attitude. If you're so apathetic, get out of conversations that supposedly mean nothing to you. Go do something that is more "worth" your precious time.

Yeah I'm sitting pretty on my high horse at the moment, but whatever; screw you naysayers and apathetic opinion-belchers. Go buy a megaphone and tell the world your complaints... or could it be that no one would actually listen to you in reality so you come here because no one can tell you to shut the hell up?

*ahems* That was a good read, Jensonb. I don't necessarily see it as dramatically as you do (though my attacks on the previous posters may say otherwise), and I'd be happy with Sweep's idea of a seperate page; I'm happy with the front page of the site, but yours is still a well-voiced post.
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By TheHT

Wow some people@Jensonb said:

@trophyhunter: That's tunnelvision. Your free to have it, but it does not make you right. "
lol wut? It's an opinion, and he's free to have it, and it's neither right or wrong.

you know after reading sweeps blog post i initially agreed with him on the whole community page and the blog things and disagreed on the other stuff (i enjoy reading staff reviews and then scrolling down and checking out user reviews and i've got no problems with the layout), but now that i think about it, it doesn't seem all that necessary. as it is i'm exposed to as much user content as i want really.

as far as your post goes: voting system? no thanks. stop people from expressing their opinions? no thanks.
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jensonb

Newsflash:

Since some of you apparently haven't seen the homepage...Ever...I would direct you to take a quick glance at it. Notice the Community Content on there? Like, already?

All I'm saying is if we're putting it there anyway, let's put the best of it in a spot where it will get a bit more attention.