Mass Effect 3 and Art Envy: Reaping What They Sow

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pleasebecalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pleasebecalm

Instig8iveJournalism hits the nail on the head again with this brilliant documentary on Mass Effect 3.

I also love the fact he points out the flaws of the series, where as others deny it. The Mass Effect series has always been shit, even the widely beloved first one is just as terrible as the others and people hold in high regard because of nostalgia. The naive notion that Mass Effect 3's only major flaw is the ending, when the rest of the game is shit. If I could some up the series in a nutshell, is that Mass Effect would have to be the Call of Duty of RPGs. Anybody who's partaking in the "Retake ME3" petition is wasting their time and should play real RPGs like Fallout.

I also love how he pointed out how overrated Bastion is. Bastion was a mediocre game, that proves that Greg Kasavin was not only a terrible journalist but a terrible game designer as well. Bastion wasn't the first game to feature a real-time narrator, System Shock did.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

This isn't flamebait or anything.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By LordXavierBritish

"There can be a message in them without making a statement."

How did I never see any of this before.

Also this is great.
TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@CL60 said:

pleasebecalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pleasebecalm

@CL60 said:

This isn't a flamebait, I'm educating the feeble minded with honest content.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By adoggz
No Caption Provided

Thanks for sharing.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jimbo

Didn't somebody already do this? And better?

pleasebecalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pleasebecalm

@Jimbo said:

Didn't somebody already do this? And better?

Instig8iveJournalism >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MrBtongue

Yes, somebody already did this. But better? Absolutely not.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ramone

@pleasebecalm said:

@CL60 said:

This isn't a flamebait, I'm educating the feeble minded with honest content.

Amazing, simply amazing. Pat yourself on the back for that reply.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By dtat

I don't entirely agree with the part about Bastion.

As for ME, I never really thought of it that way. I guess it's kind of true that it does reveal how meaningless all of your choices were. That makes me sad. But it's hard to argue against.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By AngelN7

I like Mass Effect.

pleasebecalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pleasebecalm

@Dtat said:

As for ME, I never really thought of it that way. I guess it's kind of true that it does reveal how meaningless all of your choices were. That makes me sad. But it's hard to argue against.

Many people do realize that ME3's choices equate to nothing. But what most people are dishonest to realize is that Mass Effect has always been shit, especially compared to the superior and underrated Alpha Protocol.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Humanity

@CL60 said:

It's not a crouchingspock thread and I haven't heard anyone mention Total War yet so I think it's legit.

pleasebecalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pleasebecalm

@AngelN7 said:

I like Mass Effect.

Good to know you have poor taste in video games.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By egg

I saw this a while ago and thought it was great especially but later I realized I disagree with it just a little.

For one thing so what if the devs think their game is art even if it isn't art? ME3 not being art doesn't suddenly revoke their right to make a shitty ending if they wanted to. Art or not they are still the creators of the game.

also, I haven't played any ME title, but the vid also argues that ME series never changes anything due to your choices. But if that's the case, then there should be no problem with the fact that your choices don't matter toward the ending either. If anything the game is being consistent and in that sense it would actually make less sense for your choices to matter all of a sudden.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@pleasebecalm said:

@Dtat said:

Many people do realize that ME3's choices equate to nothing. But what most people are dishonest to realize is that Mass Effect has always been shit, especially compared to the superior and underrated Alpha Protocol.

Oh, you're one of those people.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By Cincaid

@pleasebecalm said:

I wouldn't be surprise if any of you are reddifags. You aren't honest like us at /v/.

:(

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dtat

@pleasebecalm said:

@Dtat said:

I don't think it follows that it's shit. It follows that it's a big, dumb, and pulpy theme-park ride of a game. And there's nothing wrong with indulging in some empty fun sometimes. As long as you don't confuse it with high art. Which I don't.

veiasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By veiasma

I more or less agree with him on everything.

Especially on the art debate.

@pleasebecalm said:

I wouldn't be surprise if any of you are reddifags. You aren't honest like us at /v/.

I miss that horrible place.

Toug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Toug

@AngelN7: Me too!

*high five*

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zeforgotten

god, I wish and hope and would pay money to have all trolls just shot on the street. In front of their parents. 
Waste of "human" life

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread & poster is like something right out of the 'how to be a terrible person on the internet' handbook.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e28dbaa07135
deactivated-5e28dbaa07135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I alone in thinking that the Giant Bomb community is one of the least likely to act like sheep? I hope I'm right...

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Dagbiker

@pleasebecalm said:

people hold in high regard because of nostalgia. The naive notion that Mass Effect 3's only major flaw is the ending, when the rest of the game is shit. If I could some up the series in a nutshell, is that Mass Effect would have to be the Call of Duty of RPGs. Anybody who's partaking in the "Retake ME3" petition is wasting their time and should play real RPGs like Fallout.

I like how you say its all nostalgia, then in the same paragraph tell them to play Fallout.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Brendan

Congratulations, you're 13 and you just discovered that you're the most intelligent person on the planet. Don't worry, your findings will be refuted in about 6 or 7 years (hopefully).

Avatar image for deactivated-5e28dbaa07135
deactivated-5e28dbaa07135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dagbiker said:

@pleasebecalm said:

people hold in high regard because of nostalgia. The naive notion that Mass Effect 3's only major flaw is the ending, when the rest of the game is shit. If I could some up the series in a nutshell, is that Mass Effect would have to be the Call of Duty of RPGs. Anybody who's partaking in the "Retake ME3" petition is wasting their time and should play real RPGs like Fallout.

I like how you say its all nostalgia, then in the same paragraph tell them to play Fallout.

Is it weird that there's talk of nostalgia about a series that finished a couple of months ago? I find it odd

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By david3cm

Know whats more fun than Fallout, Fallout 3. I say this is all seriousness.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tennmuerti

As probably one of the most dedicated fans of the original Fallout's on GB this is goddamn embarassing.
Please don't associate all hardcore Fallout fans with this kind of attitude, i implore you dudes.

While I agree on a lot of points presented by the linked video, the approach of the poster is disgusting. 
Nor was there any reason to shit on Bastion. This "proving" is a joke.
Also the video made me /facepalm "now confirmed indoctrination theory" lol, when the Final Hours is not actually confirming one way or another, in fact it makes a better case against indoctrination theory.

I do love Fallout and I do love Alpha Protocol and I do dislike ME3 ending (hell i've spent hours upon hours arguing with people and ponting out the negatives)
But FUCK >.<
The video misses so many points, and shitting all over other games, that are quite so different is just not conductive to a good argument at all.
And starting out this conversation by insulting everyone with such petty stuff as "feebleminded" isn't either.
There are plenty of people on GB that have already made massive and better arguments discussing, agreeing with and disagreeing with the points made in the video. (months ago)
The condenscening attitude towards other people's opinions or tastes in video games isn't going to help bring about any good conversation.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@pleasebecalm said:

Anybody who's partaking in the "Retake ME3" petition is wasting their time and should play real RPGs like Fallout.

Just... put yourself out of your misery.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By AngelN7

@pleasebecalm said:

@AngelN7 said:

I like Mass Effect.

I don't know Mass Effect taste like Ryncol to me.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

This again..

Edit: nice I see you made an account just to troll.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SlightConfuse

i feel like the OP just watched the video and now thinks he is the smartest perosn with out forming an opinion, wake up dude

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jay444111

Bastion is an amazing video game. This however... is a very very flamey topic overall...

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@pleasebecalm:

If you're going to troll, you can at least use the correct sub-forum.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By williamhenry

@pleasebecalm said:

@AngelN7 said:

I like Mass Effect.

Get off your fucking high horse and grow the fuck up. Nobody gives a shit if you don't like ME. If someone does, then great, let them like it. Why do you care so much about what others think? If you think the ME series is shit, then you either have ridiculously high standards that will never be met, or you're an asshole that is trolling. Especially when you claim Alpha Protocol is so much better when it is so similar to ME.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By onan

It would be a lot easier to agree with your points or have some civil discourse if you weren't being such a bag of dicks about it. This thread is an obnoxious troll (as is the OP) and should be closed.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@onan said:

It would be a lot easier to agree with your points or have some civil discourse if you weren't being such a bag of dicks about it. This thread is an obnoxious troll (as is the OP) and should be closed.

Which is a shame, because the video raises some good points, and isn't inflammatory nonsense. But I agree, this thread is pretty much trash.

Fozimuth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Fozimuth

Yeeeaaaahh...

No Caption Provided
SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SarjuTheRapper

that video made me feel sleepy and lowered my self-esteem, thanks! 

i think im gonna go down some chloroform to up my spirits

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SarjuTheRapper
@pleasebecalm said:

@AngelN7 said:

I like Mass Effect.

if you said that to my face i would smack you on the back of the head lightly and call you a douchebag. 

but you didn't, so it's whatever
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By zeforgotten
@SuperMeatToy said:

@Dagbiker said:

@pleasebecalm said:

Is it weird that there's talk of nostalgia about a series that finished a couple of months ago? I find it odd

Now that you mention it, that does sound weird. 
Man, I wish things used to be like the good old days, you know, like last Monday. 
jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jking47

You called Bastion mediocre and called Fallout a "Real RPG" your opinion is invalid.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By vitor

@Tennmuerti said:

As probably one of the most dedicated fans of the original Fallout's on GB this is goddamn embarassing. Please don't associate all hardcore Fallout fans with this kind of attitude, i implore you dudes. While I agree on a lot of points presented by the linked video, the approach of the poster is disgusting. Nor was there any reason to shit on Bastion. This "proving" is a joke.Also the video made me /facepalm "now confirmed indoctrination theory" lol, when the Final Hours is not actually confirming one way or another, in fact it makes a better case against indoctrination theory. I do love Fallout and I do love Alpha Protocol and I do dislike ME3 ending (hell i've spent hours upon hours arguing with people and ponting out the negatives)But FUCK >.< The video misses so many points, and shitting all over other games, that are quite so different is just not conductive to a good argument at all. And starting out this conversation by insulting everyone with such petty stuff as "feebleminded" isn't either. There are plenty of people on GB that have already made massive and better arguments discussing, agreeing with and disagreeing with the points made in the video. (months ago)The condenscening attitude towards other people's opinions or tastes in video games isn't going to help bring about any good conversation.

I agree with this completely.

Bashing Bastion, and Greg Kasavin personally, just makes your initial post seem malicious, hateful and tears away from any relevant points you might have wanted to make.

The initial post also denied other people the ability to have their own specific taste in games, so well done in turning away any potentially receptive audience there.

And while it needs no defending here, I'd just like to say that the first Mass Effect was the best of the bunch and a great game and a good RPG.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By connerthekewlkid

lol 4chan? get out of here

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect 3 was a shit game, I agree. Now shut up about it.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@pleasebecalm: gone already? come back dont give up so easily

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Three0neFive

@pleasebecalm said:

The fuck does that have to do with anything?

People like you are the reason why nobody takes us seriously.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By connerthekewlkid

whelp he got out of here fast

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid: Being in the presence of such a kewl kid scared him off.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LiquidSwords

Probably went back to /v/ to let everyone known what a master troll he is!