Motion Controls And You. Part 2: MotionPlus and the myth of "1:1"

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Edited By Meowayne
Motion Controls And You. Part 1: Waggle!

Are you still there? This series of blog posts investigates in the field of Motion Controls, from the Wiimote to the Arc, and I will talk a little about each systems technical  side, advantages, disadvantages and (possible) implementations. Last week we had an in-depth look at the Nintendo Wii Remote, and if you want to read up on it, you can do that  here.

It's ... new!
 It's ... new!

We established that the original Wiimote was kinda the worst direction they could have taken for controls initiated by human motion. Devices that are based on three-axis  accelerometers can detect simple linear motion (did you know netbooks have them for detecting when they are dropped so they can park the hard disk head? I didn't!), and basic  rotation when they are hold still, and both of these things they do with a high quota of errors. What that means is.. well, I'm sure almost all of you have played Wii games that  couldn't even detect the simplest of gestures, let alone complex motion.

The reason they did this was simple: Production cost. I'd bet both my hands that they had prototypes with MotionPlus functionality way back in 2004 but had to decide against  them. A wiimote would have cost the customer over $100, and it might have been bigger, less shock resistant, and used more power. Nintendo R&D's Junji Katamotosaid as much himself: It was not until 2008 that they were able to buy technology that they felt should have been in there from the beginning in a form that was  affordable, small, and ready for mass production. They were to deliver " complex motion" via a small white magic plastic dongle you plug into your wiimote.

But before we go into the technicalities, I have a confession  to make. What I initially wanted to do today was open cold and say: "Wii Motion Plus doesn't know shit about where  your hands are", then go on explaining what the device can't do and why people are bound to be disappointed.
    I made assumptions about the capabilities based on what we had seen so far, on what I had played so far, and what seemed to distinguish MotionPlus from - seemingly -  significantly more sophisticated technology like Sony uses with their Arc.

And while a lecture on what not to expect from the device and why people are going to be disappointed is still to follow, I was very much surprised that in my investigation I  found that I was kind of wrong with some of my assumptions.

Circuits! Cookies for who can spot the IDG-600, the X3500W, the CPU and the EEPROM.
 Circuits! Cookies for who can spot the IDG-600, the X3500W, the CPU and the EEPROM.
     Finding out what was inside the device wasn't as easy as I thought. Nintendo, as usual, didn't release any  hardware specifications. The company InvenSense had a press release proudly announcing that they were cooperating with Nintendo and that MotionPlus would feature their custom- made IDG-600 2-axis gyroscope, and this is what the "scene" for a long time believed they would get. Kinda disappointing, since you need a triple-axis gyroscope (combined with  the triple-axis accelerometer of the Wiimote) for the 6 degrees of freedom you need to detect 1:1 motion (yes, I said "1:1"!). Curiously, on the "gaming" page of InvenSense,  they speak of their "dual-axis" gyro, yet in the next paragraph they go on to explain the "three axis" gyro measurements the device is capable of. And it's true, because it is.

Homebrewers opened it up and had a look: There's the IDG-600 alright, plus an additional single-axis gyro by the name of " X3500W" from a japanese-based company named Toyocom.  InvenSense offers single-axis gyros for the same purpose, but Nintendo decided to go with another custom-made, japanese product, probably for cost reduction. Neither the IDG- 600, nor the X3500W are listed on their respective company's product catalogue, and you can only speculate about their specifications. Huh.

Explaining in layman terms and in a few words what a MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical System) gyroscope actually does is difficult, so I'll keep it short and extremely simplified. 
 MEMS. Not actual size.
 MEMS. Not actual size.
The technology used in Motion Plus (and other consumer electronics) is tiny parts made out of silicon on a microscopical level. In MEMS gyroscopes, a pair of tiny " tuning forks"  for every axis are brought to vibration and the resonance is measured. Because of the coriolis effect, a change in orientation  will change the measurements. From this data, rotation is deduced, digitized and sent to the given device.  

This is what happens in the two chips found inside the Wii Motion Plus, and this is the only thing that happens there. Add to that a microchip with firmware, a Wiimote extension  port extension ( :D ) and a small EEPROM for on-chip factory calibration, stir, and you have yourself a MotionPlus.

Whew. Cool. Six degrees of freedom. And yet Wii Sports Resort doesn't use them. That's right: The highly rated (and awesome, btw) game that is supposed to show the world what  Nintendo's future in Motion Controls looks like does not, in fact, have any real 1:1 functionality. Neither does Tiger Woods, nor Grand Slam Tennis. Zangeki no Reginleiv  doesn't, Ghost Slayer won't, and for all we know, Red Steel 2 won't, either. They all use the gyro's rotational measurements for cursor enhancement, fake 1:1 animation mapping  and reliable gesture input.

Why?

It works, but not how you might think it does.
     Yeah, why? I didn't know when I started writing this. In fact most of the information that you can find in this blog post I gathered while looking for this answer. Before I started writing it, I was under the impression that this is what MotionPlus does - deliver rotational motion information without being able to deduce actual 3D space  information, and that it is obviously inferior to Sony's Motion Controller technology. And while this is true in practice, and Wii Sports Resort really shows nearly (but only  nearly!) all that MotionPlus is capable of, the reason isn't inferior controller hardware. The reason isn't developer's lazyness either. It is Nintendo's decision not to part  from the sensor bar in favor of an alternative visual aid to the motion input that prevents the oh-so-popular demand for "1:1". 
This is the only reason.

...What?

It works, but can it work better?
    Gyros and accelerometers are blind. Hold still, they might be able to roughly tell where the gravity comes from, but they have not the slightest clue about where the floor is,  Where your body is, where the TV is, or even the look and proportions of the device they are built into. They use microscopical mechanics (not electronics, mind you -  mechanics!) to measure the changes of X (acceleration), X (roll), Y (acceleration), Y (pitch), Z (acceleration) and Z (yaw)  that is being applied to them. From Position A, the  measurements of these six degrees of freedom is used to give en estimate(!) of Position B.
No matter how precise the measurements are, they will never be 100% accurate. Readings that are slightly different from the actual position B the device has  moved to will accumulate over time to readings that are significantly different from the actual position B. 

Imagine you're being blindfolded and led through an area you are familiar with by a voice telling you how many steps to go in which direction, and asking you for an estimate of  your position every 10 steps. Your first few estimates will be fairly accurate, but after 1000 steps, chances are you are off by half a mile. In Motion Control terminology, this  phenomenon is called drift.

"If there is even a 1% error in our estimate of the direction of gravity, it leads to a 9:8cm=s2 error in
acceleration, which can translate to over 40cm of error in position after just a few seconds."

This is a quote about the Wii Motion Plus from the "director's cut manual" of AiLive LiveMove 2, a developer's platform for Wii motion control development. 40cm (15in) of error in position after 2-3 seconds of movement. In most cases, the sensor bar cannot be used to "correct" the position, because it too does not deliver absolute data, but relative data. It can tell where the Wiimote points to, but it doesn't (or does only vaguely) know where it is, how far away it is, or how it is oriented.
Now you know why Wii Sports Resort isn't fully "1:1", and why no Wii game ever will be.

What's this, then?

This is why all of what I said above isn't as bad as it sounds. What we're looking at here are two things MotionPlus does well. The first thing is what Wii Sports Resort
 The smartest and most impressive use of the technology yet.
does all the time: It ignores the linear motion to reduce drift significantly. Using rotational motion, speed and a cursor, you can still give a good estimate and approximation of movement. The game has no idea that the player in the video above raises his arm to put the sword into defensive position. If he had just turned the Wiimote sideways, the in-game animation would have been the same. This can work very well because human motion almost always has a rotational component.
    Consider Wii Sports Resort Archery: You would think that you aren't rotating the Wiimote at all, right? You're holding it out in front of you, moving it left, right, up and down. Clearly linear movement, right? Wrong! There is a miniscule amount of rotation whenever you move your arm left, right, up and down, and Motion Plus is accurate enough to read it correctly.

The second thing that Red Steel 2 does is cursor enhancement. The moment the camera in your Wiimote loses track of the sensor bar, MotionPlus takes over in estimating where you point at. This estimate is very accurate, and even if it happens to be off, it is corrected instantly the moment the sensor bar becomes visible again. In practise, this enables developers to make games that always know where you point at, all the time, be it directly at the TV or not. In Red Steel 2, this knowledge is used for your sword slashes. They are 1:1 - Whatever direction, speed, and intensity (this is where accelerometer data is used!) you cut your TV in half with is perfectly replicated into the game - even though the technology isn't able to map it perfectly to your in-game polygonal arm and sword.

Like this, but... functional.
    There is a third thing that Red Steel 2 does that isn't shown in the .gif above, one that Wii Sports Resort doesn't use. And that is actual, full 3D space 1:1 motion recognition over short periods of time - the 2-3 seconds mentioned above. Combo moves are triggered by such motions. Gamers have become weary of and cynical about gesture input because of how unreliable it is with the regular Wiimote, prompting developers to have the game accept or just demand any kind of movement. Waggle, yes. In the seconds the Wii Motion Plus is able to detect full 1:1 motion, any kind of gesture input, no matter how elaborate, can be used as input. I am looking forward to seeing this implemented in more games.

Speaking of which, I have not encountered anything that excuses devs from releasing games without MotionPlus support. Games that would clearly have benefitted greatly from a cursor that doesn't spazz out the game once it loses track of the sensor bar, games with hundreds of opportunities for cool and satisfying gesture input, games that boast themselves with dozens of control options.... Since the launch of the device in June 2009, only four MotionPlus-enabled games that aren't sports games have been released, two of which are flat-outbad, comparably unknown titles that don't employ it in any meaningful way.

I'm not asking for dozens of games to require the player to buy an add-on and play with gestures, but is it too much to ask optional MotionPlus support in games that are clearly inferior because of the sensor bar and accelerometer's restrictions?

With Zangeki doing well in Japan, Motion Plus selling in the millions, Red Steel 2 reporting high pre-order numbers, several M+ Wiiware games coming out and the next Zelda requiring it for play, I will continue hoping for more games that feature what we all wanted and imagined the Wii to do from the beginning, and whose absence so quickly turned so many people into bitterness and mockery. 

Finally, the old showcase video of AiLive LiveMove2, which many of you might have seen already. See how the device does 1:1 motion recognition, but only in modes where the position is reset after 2-3 seconds of motion.

And now some of you might think: "Wait, what if we used the exact same technology, but came up with some sort of system that could frequently verify the position and correct the data if necessary?"

That's an excellent idea, wouldn't you think? How could such a system look like? Here's a crazy thought: We could take the controller, and stick a huge glowing ball on top of it.

Next Up: Steal from the best - The Sony Arc.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Meowayne
Motion Controls And You. Part 1: Waggle!

Are you still there? This series of blog posts investigates in the field of Motion Controls, from the Wiimote to the Arc, and I will talk a little about each systems technical  side, advantages, disadvantages and (possible) implementations. Last week we had an in-depth look at the Nintendo Wii Remote, and if you want to read up on it, you can do that  here.

It's ... new!
 It's ... new!

We established that the original Wiimote was kinda the worst direction they could have taken for controls initiated by human motion. Devices that are based on three-axis  accelerometers can detect simple linear motion (did you know netbooks have them for detecting when they are dropped so they can park the hard disk head? I didn't!), and basic  rotation when they are hold still, and both of these things they do with a high quota of errors. What that means is.. well, I'm sure almost all of you have played Wii games that  couldn't even detect the simplest of gestures, let alone complex motion.

The reason they did this was simple: Production cost. I'd bet both my hands that they had prototypes with MotionPlus functionality way back in 2004 but had to decide against  them. A wiimote would have cost the customer over $100, and it might have been bigger, less shock resistant, and used more power. Nintendo R&D's Junji Katamotosaid as much himself: It was not until 2008 that they were able to buy technology that they felt should have been in there from the beginning in a form that was  affordable, small, and ready for mass production. They were to deliver " complex motion" via a small white magic plastic dongle you plug into your wiimote.

But before we go into the technicalities, I have a confession  to make. What I initially wanted to do today was open cold and say: "Wii Motion Plus doesn't know shit about where  your hands are", then go on explaining what the device can't do and why people are bound to be disappointed.
    I made assumptions about the capabilities based on what we had seen so far, on what I had played so far, and what seemed to distinguish MotionPlus from - seemingly -  significantly more sophisticated technology like Sony uses with their Arc.

And while a lecture on what not to expect from the device and why people are going to be disappointed is still to follow, I was very much surprised that in my investigation I  found that I was kind of wrong with some of my assumptions.

Finding out what was inside the device wasn't as easy as I thought. Nintendo, as usual, didn't release any  hardware specifications. The company InvenSense had a press release proudly announcing that they were cooperating with Nintendo and that MotionPlus would feature their custom- made IDG-600 2-axis gyroscope, and this is what the "scene" for a long time believed they would get. Kinda disappointing, since you need a triple-axis gyroscope (combined with  the triple-axis accelerometer of the Wiimote) for the 6 degrees of freedom you need to detect 1:1 motion (yes, I said "1:1"!). Curiously, on the "gaming" page of InvenSense,  they speak of their "dual-axis" gyro, yet in the next paragraph they go on to explain the "three axis" gyro measurements the device is capable of. And it's true, because it is.

Homebrewers opened it up and had a look: There's the IDG-600 alright, plus an additional single-axis gyro by the name of " X3500W" from a japanese-based company named Toyocom.  InvenSense offers single-axis gyros for the same purpose, but Nintendo decided to go with another custom-made, japanese product, probably for cost reduction. Neither the IDG- 600, nor the X3500W are listed on their respective company's product catalogue, and you can only speculate about their specifications. Huh.

Explaining in layman terms and in a few words what a MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical System) gyroscope actually does is difficult, so I'll keep it short and extremely simplified. 
 MEMS. Not actual size.
 MEMS. Not actual size.
The technology used in Motion Plus (and other consumer electronics) is tiny parts made out of silicon on a microscopical level. In MEMS gyroscopes, a pair of tiny " tuning forks"  for every axis are brought to vibration and the resonance is measured. Because of the coriolis effect, a change in orientation  will change the measurements. From this data, rotation is deduced, digitized and sent to the given device.  

This is what happens in the two chips found inside the Wii Motion Plus, and this is the only thing that happens there. Add to that a microchip with firmware, a Wiimote extension  port extension ( :D ) and a small EEPROM for on-chip factory calibration, stir, and you have yourself a MotionPlus.

Whew. Cool. Six degrees of freedom. And yet Wii Sports Resort doesn't use them. That's right: The highly rated (and awesome, btw) game that is supposed to show the world what  Nintendo's future in Motion Controls looks like does not, in fact, have any real 1:1 functionality. Neither does Tiger Woods, nor Grand Slam Tennis. Zangeki no Reginleiv  doesn't, Ghost Slayer won't, and for all we know, Red Steel 2 won't, either. They all use the gyro's rotational measurements for cursor enhancement, fake 1:1 animation mapping  and reliable gesture input.

Why?

Yeah, why? I didn't know when I started writing this. In fact most of the information that you can find in this blog post I gathered while looking for this answer. Before I started writing it, I was under the impression that this is what MotionPlus does - deliver rotational motion information without being able to deduce actual 3D space  information, and that it is obviously inferior to Sony's Motion Controller technology. And while this is true in practice, and Wii Sports Resort really shows nearly (but only  nearly!) all that MotionPlus is capable of, the reason isn't inferior controller hardware. The reason isn't developer's lazyness either. It is Nintendo's decision not to part  from the sensor bar in favor of an alternative visual aid to the motion input that prevents the oh-so-popular demand for "1:1". 
This is the only reason.

...What?

Gyros and accelerometers are blind. Hold still, they might be able to roughly tell where the gravity comes from, but they have not the slightest clue about where the floor is,  Where your body is, where the TV is, or even the look and proportions of the device they are built into. They use microscopical mechanics (not electronics, mind you -  mechanics!) to measure the changes of X (acceleration), X (roll), Y (acceleration), Y (pitch), Z (acceleration) and Z (yaw)  that is being applied to them. From Position A, the  measurements of these six degrees of freedom is used to give en estimate(!) of Position B.
No matter how precise the measurements are, they will never be 100% accurate. Readings that are slightly different from the actual position B the device has  moved to will accumulate over time to readings that are significantly different from the actual position B. 

Imagine you're being blindfolded and led through an area you are familiar with by a voice telling you how many steps to go in which direction, and asking you for an estimate of  your position every 10 steps. Your first few estimates will be fairly accurate, but after 1000 steps, chances are you are off by half a mile. In Motion Control terminology, this  phenomenon is called drift.

"If there is even a 1% error in our estimate of the direction of gravity, it leads to a 9:8cm=s2 error in
acceleration, which can translate to over 40cm of error in position after just a few seconds."

This is a quote about the Wii Motion Plus from the "director's cut manual" of AiLive LiveMove 2, a developer's platform for Wii motion control development. 40cm (15in) of error in position after 2-3 seconds of movement. In most cases, the sensor bar cannot be used to "correct" the position, because it too does not deliver absolute data, but relative data. It can tell where the Wiimote points to, but it doesn't (or does only vaguely) know where it is, how far away it is, or how it is oriented.
Now you know why Wii Sports Resort isn't fully "1:1", and why no Wii game ever will be.

What's this, then?

This is why all of what I said above isn't as bad as it sounds. What we're looking at here are two things MotionPlus does well. The first thing is what Wii Sports Resort
does all the time: It ignores the linear motion to reduce drift significantly. Using rotational motion, speed and a cursor, you can still give a good estimate and approximation of movement. The game has no idea that the player in the video above raises his arm to put the sword into defensive position. If he had just turned the Wiimote sideways, the in-game animation would have been the same. This can work very well because human motion almost always has a rotational component.
    Consider Wii Sports Resort Archery: You would think that you aren't rotating the Wiimote at all, right? You're holding it out in front of you, moving it left, right, up and down. Clearly linear movement, right? Wrong! There is a miniscule amount of rotation whenever you move your arm left, right, up and down, and Motion Plus is accurate enough to read it correctly.

The second thing that Red Steel 2 does is cursor enhancement. The moment the camera in your Wiimote loses track of the sensor bar, MotionPlus takes over in estimating where you point at. This estimate is very accurate, and even if it happens to be off, it is corrected instantly the moment the sensor bar becomes visible again. In practise, this enables developers to make games that always know where you point at, all the time, be it directly at the TV or not. In Red Steel 2, this knowledge is used for your sword slashes. They are 1:1 - Whatever direction, speed, and intensity (this is where accelerometer data is used!) you cut your TV in half with is perfectly replicated into the game - even though the technology isn't able to map it perfectly to your in-game polygonal arm and sword.

There is a third thing that Red Steel 2 does that isn't shown in the .gif above, one that Wii Sports Resort doesn't use. And that is actual, full 3D space 1:1 motion recognition over short periods of time - the 2-3 seconds mentioned above. Combo moves are triggered by such motions. Gamers have become weary of and cynical about gesture input because of how unreliable it is with the regular Wiimote, prompting developers to have the game accept or just demand any kind of movement. Waggle, yes. In the seconds the Wii Motion Plus is able to detect full 1:1 motion, any kind of gesture input, no matter how elaborate, can be used as input. I am looking forward to seeing this implemented in more games.

Speaking of which, I have not encountered anything that excuses devs from releasing games without MotionPlus support. Games that would clearly have benefitted greatly from a cursor that doesn't spazz out the game once it loses track of the sensor bar, games with hundreds of opportunities for cool and satisfying gesture input, games that boast themselves with dozens of control options.... Since the launch of the device in June 2009, only four MotionPlus-enabled games that aren't sports games have been released, two of which are flat-outbad, comparably unknown titles that don't employ it in any meaningful way.

I'm not asking for dozens of games to require the player to buy an add-on and play with gestures, but is it too much to ask optional MotionPlus support in games that are clearly inferior because of the sensor bar and accelerometer's restrictions?

With Zangeki doing well in Japan, Motion Plus selling in the millions, Red Steel 2 reporting high pre-order numbers, several M+ Wiiware games coming out and the next Zelda requiring it for play, I will continue hoping for more games that feature what we all wanted and imagined the Wii to do from the beginning, and whose absence so quickly turned so many people into bitterness and mockery. 

Finally, the old showcase video of AiLive LiveMove2, which many of you might have seen already. See how the device does 1:1 motion recognition, but only in modes where the position is reset after 2-3 seconds of motion.

And now some of you might think: "Wait, what if we used the exact same technology, but came up with some sort of system that could frequently verify the position and correct the data if necessary?"

That's an excellent idea, wouldn't you think? How could such a system look like? Here's a crazy thought: We could take the controller, and stick a huge glowing ball on top of it.

Next Up: Steal from the best - The Sony Arc.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By august

I find this post to be highly educationamous, for my brain.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By iam3green

cool really like these blogs. keep them coming.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

The glowing ball idea sounds pretty good to me... as a golf fan. I'm all for the love of the game.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

For the lack of Motion+ games, I blame Nintendo being a bit stingy. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but why the hell doesn't my wireless nunchuck fit in the damn thing? Those stupid little feet on the bottom? Why the hell do I need those, the jacket would fit fine anyway, it's rubber! Sorry, I just needed to get that rant out. Decent blog, otherwise. Almost reminds me of Mode 7: not full 3D, but it is possible to generate something that can be easily mistaken for 3D.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By oldschool

Wow, that was quite a read and I am smarter for having done so.  Well done.  I have no other comments to make, just that I enjoyed it.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Geno

Looking forward to the next one. 

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By rallier

My old laptop used to have a nice little motion detection chip in it that would make it boot up before even opening up the lid, problem was that whenever i would accidentally bump into my desk it would do that. 

Great job on the blog. This is front-page material (actually it outclasses the stuff that is on the front page)

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Meowayne
@Video_Game_King said:
 Almost reminds me of Mode 7: not full 3D, but it is possible to generate something that can be easily mistaken for 3D. "
That's a good comparison, I like it. 

As for Nintendo being stingy: Maybe? Maybe they have all kinds of regulations and complications devs need to go through to develop M+ games, but I doubt it, considering Wiiware releases and that Spongebob game. 

Of course, they need to license AiLive LiveMove2 unless they want to create their own code for M+ reading, and licensing it for one game dev cycle should cost about $10 000. That may be a reason. Or developers, just like gamers, are kinda just waiting for Red Steel 2 to be released to see how it plays and fares financially. (That's what the game's creative director actually believes, btw.)

This is front-page material (actually it outclassed the stuff that is on the front page)

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Meowayne: 

Actually, (and I was kinda clear about that), I'm just pissed that my wireless nunchuck won't fit with my Wii Motion+. That just feels mean on Nintendo's part, especially since they had to have been sold before the accessory.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By penguindust

That was awesome and it's work like yours which make Giant Bomb forums the best video game forums anywhere.  Well done.

Newportdadde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Newportdadde
@Meowayne:  Nicely done, very informative. 
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

Wow, really nice write-up. Learning stuff from the forums is always so fun!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

Just wanted to say it absolutelly doesn't matter for the majority of games that the controller doesn't know the distance from the floor or the TV and the like, as your movements will always be translated relative to the on screen character (in an FPS, the character's view). If I swing left, it doesn't matter where I'm standing when I swing left, it matters where the in-game character is standing and what is to his left. I play from my position, but I picture myself as playing from the character (who is controlled by the analog stick, and not my own movements, as my room isn't the game's level) 's position.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Meowayne

Yes and no. Of course the game world and character don't need information about you and your room, but people very quickly and naturally assume that the controller knows "where it is", and where it has been 10 minutes ago, and that, for the controller, there is a difference between being held sideways to your left and being held sideways to your right, or between making a certain motion in front of you or above your head, while of course all the things in italics have absolutely no relevance at all. What I was saying is: They have nothing to orient themselves on but their own data.

In games that use the sensor bar distance function, once people realize something changes when they move closer to the sensor bar, the next time they start in this position and wonder why the game handles it differently ("what? I'm close to the TV, like last time"), because it is the change in distance, not the actual distance, that matters. 

I've seen this a lot.

MrMr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrMr
@Meowayne: Awesome work. So awesome I signed up just to respond.

There are 2 killer peices of data you have been unjustly deprived of. I'd love to see your thoughts on how they fit into the puzzle.

The wiimote IR is actually FAR more advanced than almost any wii game has ever used it for.

It has 3 modes.

Basic: This is the mode 99% of all wii game suses, and the thing anyone with a sharp eye will immediately thus assume to be what the IR does.

It tracks 4 dots (Yes, the Wii IR ALWAYS records 4 dots, even though the sensor bar only has 2..... Sensor bar + anyone?) X/y co-ordinates. sends the info together in pairs of 5 bytes each for a report of 10 bytes.

BOOOOOOO....

Extended. Has all the info of basic, BUT also sends a rough size value for EACH of the four dots. I can already tell this fact is buzzing around in your head. Yes, each dot has its own seperete size value. That means not only can it REALLT tell how close/far you are, it can tell from which side/angle you are pointing, as the side you are angled towards will have a bigger value. 

Each dot is 3 bytes, for four dots its a report of 12 bytes.

Getting warmer.

Full mode. 

Evrything basic/extended has, PLUS a pixel bounding box for EACH INDIVIDUAL DOT (angle measurment) and a MUCH MUCH MUCH more accurate size value for each dot. How much more accurate?
 Well, check this out, the last mode sent reports of 12 bytes right? this mode sends nine bytes per dot. thats 36 bytes total information. Over THREE TIMES THE DATA of what the wii typically uses.

It gets x/y co-ordinates, distance for each dot, and left/right angle. Adding two more dots (remember it can track 4) would enable data for up/down angle as well. I'm talking mills, not general angles.

The other peice of the puzzle. The wii refreshes input data at the bare minimum of 24 MHz minimum. (I also have run into Nintendos annoying lets not let anyone know what the hell we are using policy. So have to base what 8051 the broadcom SoC is using. Going with  thefirst gen 8051's from back in the 80's.)

Sony's ARC rely's on the playstation Eye for unobtrusive calibration and translational movement (hence the glowy bulbs), a top of the line camera for input. Almost the fastest in ANY market.
 It refreshes in two modes, one with a larger input resolution at 60 Hz, and one with a smaller resolution at 120 Hz..

Thats 24,000,000 Hz minimum refresh rate for wii. And a 120 Hz refresh rate Maximum for Arc.  You can see it in Sony's demo videos. The demonstrator moves like a snail compared to any random people playing sports resort swordplay.

This is why Nintendo said no to natal when devoloping the wii, and why they dont use real cameras for input.

1:1's also just not a good game mechanic. Its impossible to program AI for, videogame players are no where near as cool or flashy as heroes, typically arent skilled swordfighters or a trained warrior monk.

1:1 for most game applications (Think uh, FPS, or adventure game that type of deal) pretty much has no rules, which is a big problem as video games as games are defined by their rules.

What 1:1 is best used for is cosmetics. Have 1:1 like tracking when it doesnt matter, like moving your hand around in front of the screen, and then snapping to fit those motions when its time to attack with sharp profession swipes made by the game makers.

So.... You doing one on natal?  Did one already on natal? Cant wait to see what youve got.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Dalai

Knowledge is indeed power. Nice work.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Meowayne

@MrMr: Wow, thanks for the response. So much input!

I had no idea of what the IR camera was capable of, and surely there must be a downside? Wii Devs obviously don't use this functionality, and homebrewers also don't. Where did you get this information? I have never heard that before, and I've been using the IR camera a lot.
Still, the fact that all of this is useless once the camera loses track of the dots, AND the fact that it easily gets confused by windows/daylight and reflecting surfaces remain. 

And I largely agree with you on the 1:1 notion. I am waiting for what the industry is going to do once the Sony controller and the razer sixense hit the market, though. I do think there is a lot of room for experimentation when it comes to "real" 1:1 gameplay - if only for the next Mario Party and Cooking Mama!

I am planning on writing about Sony Arc and Natal, yes, and maybe about the sixense.

MrMr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrMr
@Meowayne said:

" @MrMr: Wow, thanks for the response. So much input!  I had no idea of what the IR camera was capable of, and surely there must be a downside? Wii Devs obviously don't use this functionality, and homebrewers also don't. Where did you get this information? I have never heard that before, and I've been using the IR camera a lot.Still, the fact that all of this is useless once the camera loses track of the dots, AND the fact that it easily gets confused by windows/daylight and reflecting surfaces remain.  And I largely agree with you on the 1:1 notion. I am waiting for what the industry is going to do once the Sony controller and the razer sixense hit the market, though. I do think there is a lot of room for experimentation when it comes to "real" 1:1 gameplay - if only for the next Mario Party and Cooking Mama! I am planning on writing about Sony Arc and Natal, yes, and maybe about the sixense. "

I helped out with wiibrew.org. Ive been hooked on figuring this stuff out since I first got my hands on rend386 and a hacked powerglove. Didnt think Id have to wait this long, lol.  

They have a fantastic compilation of whats been figured out about not just the wiimote, but the wii as well. 

Heres a link to the wiimote page.
 http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wiimote

Aye, theres a rub.

The data format MUST match the data report 100% exactly, bit for bit. Even if it has more than necessary, it will not work. Which means i of course cant go over either.
 Which makes certain combinations impossible because there arent enough bytes.

So, getting something like the accelerometers, motion+,  buttons, and extended/full IR would be a tricky proposition, you might have to turn off things like the speaker and player lights for example. And you still might not be able to attach a nunchuck to it. Its like a freaking puzzle!!!

It would be the developers job to design a game where the player never felt the need to do something that would have the camera lose track of the dots long enough that the gyro and accelerometers cant compensate for. red steel 2 is an excellent example of this. 
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Meowayne

By the way, I have two exams and a term paper coming up, so it might be a while till I have time to finish the next one.

Arwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Arwin

Just wanted to really, really thank you about this article. It was extremely helpful in understanding the WiiMotion+ functionality. I'm writing a little paper myself that catalogues the features, strenghts and limitations of all three systems and this article filled in a lot of gaps and details at once.  If you ever start working on the next one, I'll be happy to share my work so far with you - I'll publish it somewhere at some point once I'm happy with it anyway, though fortunately the other two systems actually seem a little less complex (or maybe I just think that because I already read so much about them)