Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Dogma

Some cool news just went up!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/30/obisidian-to-co-develop-wasteland-2-on-one-condition/

If the Wasteland 2 project hits 2,1 million dollars inXile will get help from Obsidian including Planescape: Torment Mastermind Chris Avellone, to help them make the game. Now that's quite a cool proposition if you ask me.

Is this a cool incentive for getting more pledges? Many people have been worried about the know-how at inXile since the haven't produced any noteworthy games but how about Obsidan? Could these people together put together something really remakrable? Obsidian tends to be extremly good a storytelling.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

But they'll just break it. BOOM.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By napalm

Uh, no? Alpha Protocol is a buggy piece of shit? How is this a good idea?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@rebgav said:

Are inXile really so out of their depth that they need to bring in an outside company to break their game for them?

C'mon guys, have some faith in yourselves. You can totally fuck this up all on your own.

Outside company??  

Dude, inXile and Obsidian (and some other dudes too) all used to be part of one big company.  Interplay.  You may have heard of them?

I predicted this would happen.

YAY.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Let's get the fucking band back together.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By LordXavierBritish
@Napalm said:
Have you played Alpha Protocol?

It's buggy as fuck but it still does a lot of things right that no other modern RPGs are doing.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Animasta

@Napalm said:

because avellone is one of if not the best writer in the games industry?

also alpha protocol owns shut your mouth

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Marz

alpha protocol was awesome.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Funkydupe

I just want a shotgun and a physics engine in there, how much will that cost in donations?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By napalm
@rebgav said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@rebgav said:

Are inXile really so out of their depth that they need to bring in an outside company to break their game for them?

C'mon guys, have some faith in yourselves. You can totally fuck this up all on your own.

Outside company?? Dude, inXile and Obsidian (and some other dudes too) all used to be part of one big company. Interplay. You may have heard of them? I predicted this would happen. YAY.

That was a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago. The proposition that we're looking at right now is to combine the minds behind Hunted: The Demon's Forge and Dungeon Siege 3. Let that sink in for a few minutes.

Fucking goddamn it.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Animasta

@rebgav said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@rebgav said:

Outside company?? Dude, inXile and Obsidian (and some other dudes too) all used to be part of one big company. Interplay. You may have heard of them? I predicted this would happen. YAY.

That was a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago. The proposition that we're looking at right now is to combine the minds behind Hunted: The Demon's Forge and Dungeon Siege 3. Let that sink in for a few minutes.

pretty sure avellone did not work on dungeon siege 3

edit: he did not

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Snipzor

The gang's back together. Oh god yes, now I have full confidence about this project. Almost tempted to give them more now. And yea, this is a huge incentive for many people who were hesitant before.

I should get Alpha Protocol.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Animasta said:

@rebgav said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@rebgav said:

pretty sure avellone did not work on dungeon siege 3

You are correct.  Back in the Interplay days those guys were pretty much untouchable.  They were HUGE, successful and largely independent and most importantly, they made great games!   This is a good thing guys, Hunted was arse raped by being shopped around far too much and DS 3 was hideously dumbed down for consoles and both games were directly affected by collective publisher intervention on MANY occasions.   You should look up the Hunted post mortem - it gives real insight into why THQ are so fucked at the moment.

This game will be grand.
Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Funkydupe
Uwe:
Uwe: "Great! Can I has make the Wasteland 2 movies no? DO YOU WANT TO FIGHT ME?"
Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather see a $2M inXile game, instead of paying Obsidian to muck it up. I guess if the game turns out less than stellar, people can just use Obsidian as a scapegoat.

In the case of Alpha Protocol, even if the story is genuinely good and if it has a couple cool game mechanics, the gameplay is still flawed. It's like reading a good book but being required to have a phallic object up your rectum while doing so. Some people may have no problem with that, for me, I'll have to pass.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@Animasta said:

@Napalm said:

Did they patch that game of all? I've been thinking about picking it up to try out, but don't know much about its buggy state.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

That doesn't sound like something I'd want if I was supporting them via kickstarter.

I mean the people who spend their money expend these guys to do the job and suddenly a rather big bunch of the excess funding gets thrown to Obsidian? Seriously?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Animasta

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@Animasta said:

@Napalm said:

Did they patch that game of all? I've been thinking about picking it up to try out, but don't know much about its buggy state.

I didn't have any bugs on PC myself, even when it was new, so if you're getting it for PC it's relatively stable. i don't know about consoles though

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Funkydupe

How much do I have to pay to get Supergiant Games to work on this game with inXile?

Tumbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tumbler
My contribution just went from $15 to $50! I'd love to see them get involved!
SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SomeDeliCook

inXile, can you please just make and finish Hei$t? Thanks you

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Anyone shitting on this is a complete numbskull. Chris Avellone is the best writer in the history of this medium. Bar none. Houser, Schafer, Karpyshyn, Levine, Spector... Chris Avellone. The overall plot, the fiction, the characters, the incidental stuff; it's incredibly clever and extremely well done.

If I wasn't already in for 100 dollars, I'd put more.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By BlackLagoon

@rebgav said:

Obsidian has their own game engine, Onyx, which did isometric very well in Dungeon Siege III. Also it saves on licensing costs and gives inXile direct access to the people who know exactly how the engine works. And Avellone & Co. have a lot of cred among old school RPG fans, and is likely to push more people on the fence (like me) into taking the plunge.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WinterSnowblind

If I had spare money at the moment, I'd have upped my donation.

But this is a really good thing. Obsidian have made some really great games in the past.. Many of their recent ones have been somewhat flawed, but that's typically been because of rushed release dates and the fact they've been used as a studio to pump out quick and dirty sequels. Their writing is second to none in the industry and Alpha Protocol does the choice/consequence thing better than anything else out there too (Dungeon Siege 3 is the possible exception, that was just not a good idea).

Not to mention the fact they were part of the same company that originally created Wasteland and Fallout. If you think Obsidian are going to ruin the game, you're a moron who should not have donated money to the project to begin with.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zippedbinders

@Brodehouse said:

Anyone shitting on this is a complete numbskull. Chris Avellone is the best writer in the history of this medium. Bar none. Houser, Schafer, Karpyshyn, Levine, Spector... Chris Avellone. The overall plot, the fiction, the characters, the incidental stuff; it's incredibly clever and extremely well done. If I wasn't already in for 100 dollars, I'd put more.

I'd feel pretty safe throwing Suda and Shu Takumi in there, but you pretty much nailed all the great western vidya writers.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Yes. I am totally down for this collaboration between people who know what old RPGs are. Sure, this will contribute to more inflated expectations of what the game will actually deliver, but the idea of Obsidian working on their own terms without publisher meddling appeals to me quite a lot.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Napalm said:

Having played it thoroughly, the patched PS3 version at least, I'd say AP is neither particularly buggy or a "piece of shit". Yes, it does have some design issues and jank, but that does not make it "buggy". And yes, it makes a poor third person shooter, but that's not far from complaining that Silent Hill makes a poor brawler. The combat system works fine if you accept its peculiarities (the charged aiming, properly using your active abilites) and it's obviously intentional that Thornton will never have much success at running and gunning without using an ability like Chain Shoot or Room Sweep. The only really significant bug I encountered was the checkpointing, where reloading would sometimes screw with the alert state or revive eliminated enemies.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gike987

Amazing news! If I hadn't already pledged $300 I would definitely increase it. Although, I will most likely end up increasing it anyway.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By AndrewB

Oh man. I'm starting to love being a backer in this more and more. It's all kind of crazy.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Funkydupe

I'm thinking Collector's Edition now. God damn... fees to get shipment here will be immense for me.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Brendan

@Funkydupe said:

Uwe:
Uwe: "Great! Can I has make the Wasteland 2 movies no? DO YOU WANT TO FIGHT ME?"

Yes, I do want to fight you.

PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PokeIkzai

Wonderful. One big happy family making Wasteland 2. So awesome.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dogma

Now the news is up on their on Kickstarter with a piece of information that we didn´t know before. Anyone that was worried about Obsidans programmering skills dont have to worry. Obsidians part in this is writing and design, not coding, even if they are lending tools to make stuff easier for the inXile guys.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/199078?ref=activity

While the programming work will remain with us here at inXile, we are looking to use a host of tools that Obsidian has created which will help us get assets into the game faster. The faster we can implement and iterate on content, the deeper the game and the more varied choices the gamers can make.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Animasta

@Dogma said:

Now the news is up on their on Kickstarter with a piece of information that we didn´t know before. Anyone that was worried about Obsidans programmering skills dont have to worry. Obsidians part in this is writing and design, not coding, even if they are lending tools to make stuff easier for the inXile guys.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/199078?ref=activity

While the programming work will remain with us here at inXile, we are looking to use a host of tools that Obsidian has created which will help us get assets into the game faster. The faster we can implement and iterate on content, the deeper the game and the more varied choices the gamers can make.

I assume this means they would be using the onyx engine from DS3 then

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dogma

@Animasta: Is that a good thing? I have no knowledge about Dungeon Siege 3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Onyx the graphics engine from DS3, because that game kind of looked like a cleaned up downloadable game and not a 60 dollar retail product. Then again, the buy-in point and budget for Wasteland is the same as Stacking and Costume Quest, so how much could we really expect.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Animasta

@Brodehouse said:

Is Onyx the graphics engine from DS3, because that game kind of looked like a cleaned up downloadable game and not a 60 dollar retail product. Then again, the buy-in point and budget for Wasteland is the same as Stacking and Costume Quest, so how much could we really expect.

well, wasteland 2 is going to be 15 dollars innit? also oynx may not look the best, but it is hella stable (apparently)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Animasta said:

@Brodehouse said:

well, wasteland 2 is going to be 15 dollars innit? also oynx may not look the best, but it is hella stable (apparently)

Like I said "the buy-in point and budget is the same as Stacking and Costume Quest".

The only part of DS3 that I'll say looked good was the character faces. The models and the landscapes were greatly helped by the camera being a mile above them so you couldn't actually look at the relatively crap textures.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By stonyman65

@TheHT said:

But they'll just break it. BOOM.

Sadly, yes.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BlackLagoon

@rebgav said:

It would be unrealistic to expect them to rekindle some portion of the magic which made Icewind Dale or the original Fallout games so great even if they had a more typical budget and timeframe - expecting something special out of a shoestring budget and a much shortened dev cycle seems completely crazy. I'm not suggesting that they won't or can't make a brilliant game, I'm saying that expecting it to live up to the lineage of the best games that these guys ever made is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Personally, I'm not really that invested in Wasteland - to me this is as much about putting my money where my mouth is and supporting Obsidian, than it is hoping for a great game. That said, I believe the original Fallout had a budget of only $3 million, and a somewhat troubled development. I'd say it's not unbelievable that a carefully planned and well managed development cycle could pull off something of comparable quality with the Kickstarter funds.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To everyone who is saying Obsidian will fuck this up, the one thing Obsidian does well is writing, which is all they are being tapped to do. All the programming will remain in-house.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Scrawnto

@Animasta: This probably won't use the Onyx engine. Tools in game development are usually separate from the game itself.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By Enigma777

Eww. Do not want.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BlackLagoon

@President_Barackbar said:

To everyone who is saying Obsidian will fuck this up, the one thing Obsidian does well is writing, which is all they are being tapped to do. All the programming will remain in-house.

I do find it amusing that people who get hung up on the whole Obsidian = bugs thing, are seemingly oblivious to inXile's history. I had lots of fun playing through Hunted: The Demon's Forge with a friend, but that game was still kinda janky and unpolished and the story/writing was nothing special. To take it on faith that they'll be able to pull off a much more complex game on a tight budget, while simultaneously disparaging Obsidian seems rather absurd.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MrKlorox

What's the last game that either studio had complete and total freedom of control over? 

I trust these minds to make something incredible without an out of touch publisher trying to fuck it up or pull funding.

edit: Also hasn't the game story already been written? That's what the pitch seemed to imply. Yes Avellone is great, but that particular forte seems to have already been covered.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By coakroach

I am so down with this after Fallout New Vegas.

I'm gonna go ahead and ignore every other busted piece of shit they released.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Funkydupe

I'm guessing there's no physics in that engine?

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Karkarov

@rebgav said:

Who also happen to be the same minds who made Fallout 1/2, Fallout New Vegas, blah blah blah. You know, all the games all the people funding this one love and consider better than anything that has come out since? Sure they are letting the nostalgia goggles do their thinking but that is their prerogative.

I find it far more alarming that he has almost 2 mil for this thing and half of the so called fans want it to be a top down based game with 2d sprites.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Funkydupe

@Karkarov: What the fuck is wrong with an isometric perspective?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@MrKlorox said:
What's the last game that either studio had complete and total freedom of control over?   I trust these minds to make something incredible without an out of touch publisher trying to fuck it up or pull funding.  edit: Also hasn't the game story already been written? That's what the pitch seemed to imply. Yes Avellone is great, but that particular forte seems to have already been covered.
Sorta, the story has been written but it's a LONG time between drinks so it's definitely going to go through some rewrites and edits.  

IRRADIATED RAT ATTACKS.  

*oh sorry, my nostalgia goggles confused me for a mo*

I'm pretty sure this will end up as another great Interplay game.  William Gibson stated that he loved working with the guys too so here's hoping this leads to more modern rendition of Neuromancer and possibly the rest of Sprawl and Bridge series as games.  It's a longshot but I've always wanted a modern WG RPG.