• 81 results
xMEGADETHxSLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xMEGADETHxSLY

Another Open Source Android based console wants to get funded.Like the Ouya For Example. that got a lot of traction and actually got funded. Is there a market for this or are people just hungry for new hardware

http://www.otonx.com/

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Sinusoidal

I can't decide if some competition would do the Ouya good, or if I'd rather this just didn't exist and the Ouya got the support this is presumably going to take away from it. In either case it's gonna take a lot of oomph for anyone to successfully break in on the console market competing against Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. I feel if anything, these new Android consoles are going to be dipping into Nintendo's casual market, which has proven to be huge.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By audiosnow

This is either an elaborate joke or the most poorly concocted scam.

The pitch video's narrator is clearly a football announcer.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#4  Edited By audioBusting
OTON will be able to self-create games instantly within minutes without human input.
The acclaimed French designer and internet sensation Joseph Dumary designed the OTON console. [...] Mr. Dumary has over four years experience in concept design and execution, and has won several design awards!

Is.. is this for real? I honestly can't tell.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By laserbolts

The fact that people throw money at this sort of stuff baffles me.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By jaqen_hghar

I agree that this must either be a joke or a scam. Or they might be trying to make the first Beemo.

But if this is actually a proper product, I cannot see it do that well. I mean, how fun can the automatically made games be? I doubt there will be AI generated story, voice acting and cutscenes. The story is a major part of most of the games I play these days.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShaggE

Auto-generated games on the quality of those broken ROM hacks that fill all of the "100 GAMES IN 1 VIDEO GAMING SYSTEM" toys that you see in dollar stores, because this isn't a sci-fi fantasy land where games worth playing for more than 30 seconds can be made by an "AI"? Sign me the fuck up!

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By audioBusting

After some Googling.. apparently they (Engeniux, formerly Envizions) did release a Linux-based console in 2008, and promised another one that never came out. Sounds really shady.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By butano

There's no way that this is real. There can't be....projector built in? Kinect-like gestures and voice commands?

Their "Kickstarter" page is their company website http://www.engeniux.com/ but hey, you get a free copy of Ubuntu 12.10 if you preorder guys!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By TruthTellah

@xMEGADETHxSLY: No one is hungry for... whatever this is. All I see is marketing lingo wrapped in bullshit slathered with a fine gravy of utter nonsense.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cmblasko

"Developing games for OTON doesn’t require any special programming skills."

Uh, what?

" - Co-Op players can create in game real time obstacles for co- players (conjure a wall up to block your friend’s progress)

- Game-play Games of Champions. Play multi-OTON created levels within pre-set time limit"

Again, WHAT? I don't think it's really fair to lump this thing in with the Ouya, regardless of what you think about that project.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

That has to be a scam. Even if you ignore the stupidity of automatically generated games & everything - It has a built in projector... for $99. Yeah, that's totally doable.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Icemo

I did some research on this and looks like the CEO of EnGeniux is a bit shady person.

So the CEO of EnGeniux, the developer of Oton!, is Derrick Samuels according to his twitter page.

Here we have an interview with the founder of Envizions, Derrick Samuels.

Envizions is apparently developing a gaming console called EVO 2

According to wikipedia about EVO 2's release: "The sources state it was supposed to be released in fall 2011, but it has been seemingly delayed. Their website have since stated that the console will ship in 2012."

And if you go to Envizions website, you first see some insane spouting about pandora's box and needing 3 friends to open it.

I would not give this man any money if these two CEOs are the same person.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By vaiz

@Icemo said:

I did some research on this and looks like the CEO of EnGeniux is a bit shady person.

So the CEO of EnGeniux, the developer of Oton!, is Derrick Samuels according to his twitter page.

Here we have an interview with the founder of Envizions, Derrick Samuels.

Envizions is apparently developing a gaming console called EVO 2

According to wikipedia about EVO 2's release: "The sources state it was supposed to be released in fall 2011, but it has been seemingly delayed. Their website have since stated that the console will ship in 2012."

And if you go to Envizions website, you first see some insane spouting about pandora's box and needing 3 friends to open it.

I would not give this man any money if these two CEOs are the same person.

It's Dietrich, It's fucking Dietrich. He's back!

SpiderCabaret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpiderCabaret

3. Why are you charging my credit card before the unit ships?

We have to charge your card in advance because all payments are immediately sent to the manufacturer after the 30 days to speed up the process. This is a very expensive project, and the quicker we can get suppliers paid the sooner we can get OTON into your hands.

Well golly gosh gobble, that doesn't seem dodgy. I'd say that I feel sorry for the 6 people who have decided to back it, but you know what they say about the fool and his money.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By mike

@Icemo: Yeah...this is clearly a scam designed to cash in on the runaway success of the Ouya kickstarter. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no product will ever be shipped and this Derrick Samuels guy will most likely end up in prison over this.

Also thanks to some awesome SEO magic this thread will most likely soon be the number one google result for anyone searching for Derrick Samuels or the Oton.

Oh lol... this is rich. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTON_X_Console

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Icemo

@SpiderCabaret said:

3. Why are you charging my credit card before the unit ships?

We have to charge your card in advance because all payments are immediately sent to the manufacturer after the 30 days to speed up the process. This is a very expensive project, and the quicker we can get suppliers paid the sooner we can get OTON into your hands.

Well golly gosh gobble, that doesn't seem dodgy. I'd say that I feel sorry for the 6 people who have decided to back it, but you know what they say about the fool and his money.

That proves it. It's a scam and those 6 people are fucked.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kerned

@audioBusting said:

OTON will be able to self-create games instantly within minutes without human input.
The acclaimed French designer and internet sensation Joseph Dumary designed the OTON console. [...] Mr. Dumary has over four years experience in concept design and execution, and has won several design awards!

Googling "Joseph Dumary" led me to a portfolio that is obviously nothing but student work that would have been done as part of an industrial design curriculum. Four years of experience isn't anything to brag about, but even less so when those four years were all spent in school.

Sneeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sneeze

Wow.. just.. wow. 
I would probably not give this guy any money.. 

lazarenth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lazarenth

"Your credit card will be charge upon reserving your unit"

Red flag red flag red flag

moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By moncole

This is meant for idiots contribute. Because only a sucker will believe this.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mtcantor

Joining the joke or criminal crowd here. This shit is ridiculous.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By EarlessShrimp

Is there some way to inform the authorities that such... shady, if not illicit practices are being played out?

Avatar image for gamergirl197811
Gamergirl197811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gamergirl197811

You guys are fools!!!! This is going to be an amazing console! You really should check your facts before you just start talking about something you don't know anything about and from a lot of your comments you don't. I checked their FQA questions on their website and it answered a lot of my questions maybe you should do the same! People are so closed minded that they don't know something is great when it's right in their face! I want something new! I'm going to give these guys a chance! They have my support 100%! Love the design! Go Oton!!!!!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By nintendoeats

I don't think that this is real.

Bevinsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bevinsky

@Gamergirl197811: The fact that you used a brand new account makes it rather difficult to know if you're just joking or actually being serious.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By BaneFireLord

And every five minutes, a kitten comes out!

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rflx

This is one of those times where I wish that some sort of internet police existed.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

@Gamergirl197811 said:

You guys are fools!!!! This is going to be an amazing console! You really should check your facts before you just start talking about something you don't know anything about and from a lot of your comments you don't. I checked their FQA questions on their website and it answered a lot of my questions maybe you should do the same! People are so closed minded that they don't know something is great when it's right in their face! I want something new! I'm going to give these guys a chance! They have my support 100%! Love the design! Go Oton!!!!!

The IP address from this account is from Oxford, Alabama. And does anyone want to venture a guess where Derrick Samuels, CEO of the company behind Oton is from? Alabama, according to his twitter account. Oh, and his LinkedIn account specifies even more detail - the Anniston, Alabama area. And you know what a Google Map of Anniston, Alabama shows? Oxford is right next to it!!! Literally, less than a mile away.

Now, I wouldn't be one to post accusations or anything, but one could certainly come to some conclusions based on this information. Stay classy, Derrick Samuels!!!

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31  Edited By buft

@lazarenth said:

"Your credit card will be charge upon reserving your unit"

Red flag red flag red flag

red flag indeed

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mtcantor
WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WasabiCurry

Oh my goodness...

I don't really have much of a thought after reading that page for OTON~

Everything is so wrong with this idea and starter, but this quote right here baffled me.

"Even crazier -recreate certain times, events and places in history or explore the future with radical simulated projected environments! "

I just don't even know anymore~

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mtcantor

So according to Dun & Bradstreet, Envisions has annual sales somewhere in the area of $280,000 and employs 4 people, presumably including Mr. Samuels. Also lists a Warren Blair as the President of the company.

And yes, Samuels lives in Oxford.

(edited)

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bumpton

This is the best damn thread I've ever seen. Thank you for existing,

Also, I wouldn't even be surprised if the 6 backers were fake, just to make it look like someone's interested and contributing money. Does a $1,000,000 goal seem crazy to anyone else? And why was that video so shitty? Omg, my brain can't handle this.

kerikxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By kerikxi

@MattyFTM: Oh man. This is getting interesting.

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bumpton

Anyone else notice that the thing has a projector and a Kinect built into it? Because that's hilarious.

volemaulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By volemaulder

"In a few short years OTON could possibly create original custom TV or movie content catered to your movie choices! Say goodbye to your cable bill!"

All of you naysayers did you ever stop to think that this guy might actually be FROM THE FUTURE?! Hm? Hm?

If there weren't so many things pointing to a scam, this would be some pretty awesome trolling.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By jaqen_hghar

I say it again, slap a screen on this thing, some arms and legs, and you'll have Beemo. So yeah, totally real.

(I really hope this thread continues, 'cause it's always fun to see internet scam people try to convince everyone that their thing isn't a scam)

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ravenlight

@Gamergirl197811 said:

I thought this post was ironic and I was going to laud it as hilarious. Instead I'll laud the most obvious shill in the history of shilling as hilarious instead. I hope you aren't being paid for this.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zuldim

So I can check off a series of boxes, and immediately generate a game? Sounds legit to me.

I don't know what's worse, that this is a scam, or that it's so lazy and obvious.

volemaulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By volemaulder

@Ravenlight: Never trust people who use so many exclamation marks.

Or maybe I've been brainwashed by Kojima to be distrustful towards this punctuation mark, I dunno.

icytower38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By icytower38

I would laugh so hard if this thing gets pulled down in a day or two by EnGeniux and something rather similar shows up with a new name and 'new' company early 2013.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By toowalrus

That's million bucks?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#45  Edited By ArbitraryWater

This is such an obvious scam that it doesn't even warrant any attention.

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By mustachioeugene

@audioBusting said:

four years experience

Four. Years.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By gamefreak9

If it was really next gen they would at least have videos of it :P.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By leebmx

Damn! If I hadn't bought that Playstation 5 at the market last week I would've had enough money for this revolutionary console.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By baldgye

@audioBusting said:

After some Googling.. apparently they (Engeniux, formerly Envizions) did release a Linux-based console in 2008, and promised another one that never came out. Sounds really shady.

...so its like every other 'good' kickstarter then??

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ShaggE

@ArbitraryWater said:

This is such an obvious scam that it doesn't even warrant any attention.

Sure it does. Your average scam isn't this ridiculously funny.