PC gaming is doomed unless something is done.

• 123 results
Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Ferginator4k

Yes i know that there have been tons of people in the games industry and community that have been saying this for a while now., but i'm actually beginning to think this might be true.

More and more publishers/developers are scrapping PC versions ( Alan Wake and Darksiders ) and going to the consoles, now lots of silly reasons have been brought up for this such as the whole "a gaming PC costs $5000" bullshit but the fact is that this is because of the piracy which has always been rampant on the PC but due to the ever increasing development costs involved in making a game this piracy is really having a devastating impact on the industry with very few developers at this point focusing on PC development those being Relic, Blizzard, Valve and The Creative Assembly with the majority of those developers branching out into console gaming and lets be honest 5 developers cannot keep cannot keep the PC gaming industry going.
But lets look at what the PC gaming industry has going for it-

• RTS Games- despite the genres waning popularity the PC is the place to play RTS games although consoles are beginning to catch up.
  • MMO''s - I think the genres popularity is beginning to wane whilst WoWs popularity just keeps growing whilst the genre branches out to consoles.
  • Indie games - The PC is great for indie games like Braid, World of Goo and Torchlight although a good number of these indie games are making the move towards consoles in the form of the PSN and XBLM
  • Mods- Thankfully one of the few things PC gaming has kept from its console brethren mods allow for a the customization of your games and can breath new life into old titles.
  • Digital Distribution- At the moment i think only the PC and the Iphone have managed to nail digital Distribution, despite the process not being foolproof and having certain drawbacks.

And going against the PC-
  • The Rampant Piracy-nuff said
  • Hackers in online games- this also happens in consoles but is far more prevelant in PC gaming despite anti cheat measures like VAC and Punkbuster
  • The lack of games being made due to the aforementioned piracy.

Many people say that the benefit of the PC is that everything is backwards compatible and that there is always an old game that you could try and while this is true if Devs stop making PC games that back Catalogue is going to run out.
I also think Valve is onto something with steam and its devious Weekend Sales which get you to buy a ridiculously cheap game and in all likelyhood never play it, but as previously stated we really are going to run out of games to go back to on the PC and then where will we be?

I think the PC industry needs change despite how strongly it opposes it (MW2 lacking dedicated servers) otherwise it really is going to die, one of the main changes we need to make is to stop piracy without draconian DRM systems because if we dont buy PC games there wont be PC games to buy.
 Im calling out to all the PC gamers out there to support this.  

No Caption Provided

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

You're funny. And no. It's only been changing throughout the years just like any market. This generation of consoles is also different to the last in many ways, being primarily dominated by Western developers and online games now, which means former PC developers found a fertile new market to sell the same old stuff they had been making on PC the last decade, while PC gamers have had enough of a lot of it by now so don't fall for repeats that aren't special. That is part of what leads to the declining sales misinformation, PC gaming is not dead or dying even though we've been hearing it since the 90s. What would you expect the publishers and hot shot celebrity developers to tell you? That they fucked up, that they lost touch with what gamers want, that it's their own fault? Of course not, they'll pretend they're doing everything right, that the platform is at fault, and they'll pamper console gamers who haven't yet had enough and think gritty "realism" first person shooter #2328378 is a fresh new concept just because they weren't PC gamers to know how stale they are since last gen they all had a PS2 and played Eastern developers' games for the most part. That leads to another harm of the overall industry by the way, and that is people asking Eastern developers to change and provide titles of the same style. God will that be a shitty day for gaming when even they start doing muddy grey FPS titles. You'll have enough of those games soon enough guys, and there won't be anything else to play if you keep complaining like that. Sigh. Anyway, this is getting off topic.

If a single game can be a huge success, like Blizzard's games, Valve's games, some of EA's titles, niche games like Stardock's output, indie games like World of Goo, casual games, hardcore games and just about anything you can think of, then any quality game has the same potential to meet if it's handled right. The PC platform has provided fertile ground for a large number of companies who have grown immensely in the last years. Valve was just the developer of Half-Life, see what they've become? Several digital distributors are supported. Indie developers have made fortunes. Smaller publishers/developers like Stardock earned strong fanbases to support their niches. Franchises continue for decades. Online games are as strong as ever, WoW isn't the only success out there. Perhaps it's the only one that appeals or would appeal to you, but there's a fuckton of MMORPGs and more are being made all the time. Alternative payment methods are introduced for new markets. Some flop, others profit. If one doesn't last for a freaking decade like WoW is (an extreme case duders, not every game needs to do that) it wasn't necessarily a loss for the company, otherwise NCSoft would have gone bankrupt by now instead of develop even more titles like they keep doing.

If something needs to change further at all then that is the majority of the current hot shot publishers who don't know what the fuck they're doing on the platform. The market is there, people are paying for games despite piracy and they're paying a lot of money. If a company can't compete enough to get people to buy their products it's not the platform's fault, and PC gamers don't care if they leave since they weren't buying their games for a reason. Nobody's going to lower his standards and buy crap he doesn't want for the publishers to keep putting out crap instead of attempt to immitate the success of the previously mentioned examples through the quality and proper handling of projects. Whether they do that or not however, will not kill PC gaming. It is merely up to them to profit off of it. If they can't, it's their loss. Others do and more will come to join them. Maybe PC gaming isn't for you or the majority of users around here because you prefer the output on consoles. You aren't that important, PC gaming can and is surviving without you just fine. Play what you want and don't look back or worry, just don't kid yourself believing you jumped off a sinking ship.

Also, its greatest asset is nothing as simple as a given genre which may be popular at one time and hated at another. It's merely the fact it's an open platform where anything goes. That is all that's caused all the other things you think are its strengths, and it will lead to many more. Western type games were born on it, and only arrived to consoles in a big way with the Xbox. Online games were born on it and only arrived on consoles this generation. MMORPGs are the new big thing, those will probably show up on consoles in a big way next gen (or by the end of this one if it's prolonged enough as many speculate these days). The whole market is changing all the time as people don't dwell on the same stuff and the PC is usually leading the way. That consoles catch up doesn't mean it will die (or that it will die when/if there's no such big breakthrough to rely on), especially when computers will always be needed by tons of users, and those uses have the side effect of also making them capable gaming machines. Since those users are humans, many of them will be interested in entertainment and therefor gaming, so games will be made for them.

Final edit, over and out :-)

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By sjschmidt93

It has Modern Warfare 2 working against it. Everything that MW2 does wrong for the PC version will be done by others soon. (price, no dedicated servers, etc.) 

And it has Valve and Blizzard working for it.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Coombs

No Caption Provided

....Forever.

And the console gamers rejoice.
Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Babble

The amount of money I've spent during the Steam sale says otherwise.

FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FartyMcNarly

Wow you think that the stuff people in the industry have been saying for years might actually be happening? No way! 

PC games will most likely not die any time soon, they simply are no longer the major way to play games. More people play games on consoles now so developers shifted their focus to consoles. You put a disk in the console and it works, no min specs, no need to upgrade anything, no need to install it launch day to find out that your video/motherboard/sound card combo makes the game unplayable and you have to wait a week until it's patched. Games on the PC will not die any time soon, it will just be different.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee
@Nemesis said:
"PC gaming will live as long as people use PCs, and there are a lot of people using PCs. PS3 gaming is most likely doomed since Sony can't even make any money of their console. "

Lol
handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By handlas
@Abyssfull said:

" @Nemesis said:

"PC gaming will live as long as people use PCs, and there are a lot of people using PCs. PS3 gaming is most likely doomed since Sony can't even make any money of their console. "
Lol "
All his posts are like that...i flag them every time I see them.  Don't think that does anything tho.  That's one of the tame ones actually.
Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mariek430
@Babble said:
" The amount of money I've spent during the Steam sale says otherwise. "
^ This, though most of mine is gifting torchlight to my friends list...oh and Space Siege for myself because it was 5 dollars, and I have no self control.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By shirogane

There was a Darksiders for PC? Whoah... Not that i would've gotten it. 

Piracy was probably much worse for consoles than it was for PC last gen. If you don't believe me, go to asia, stores selling retail games don't exist, but pirated games stores are everywhere, with only very few stocking PC games. However, this gen has changed that somewhat, especially the PS3 and the crazy blu-ray stuff. 360 and Live. Wii and games not even worth pirating.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jimbo

Slowest death in history.  PC gaming deserves an Oscar for how long it's been dying.

True, PC exclusives aren't driving the industry anymore, which is a shame, but PC versions of games are still obviously selling well enough to warrant making them.  That said, there have been multiple 1m+ selling PC exclusives this year (eg. Empire, Sims 3, Wrath) - without counting digital sales - and I doubt many of those games had the budget that your typical million selling 360 or PS3 game has.

If the GB daily plays list is anything to go by, PC gamers haven't gone anywhere, they're just all playing WoW still.  Those WoW numbers every day amaze me.

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ferginator4k
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" It has Modern Warfare 2 working against it. Everything that MW2 does wrong for the PC version will be done by others soon. (price, no dedicated servers, etc.)  And it has Valve and Blizzard working for it. " 

Thats a good way to put it.

@FartyMcNarly said:
" Wow you think that the stuff people in the industry have been saying for years might actually be happening? No way!  PC games will most likely not die any time soon, they simply are no longer the major way to play games. More people play games on consoles now so developers shifted their focus to consoles. You put a disk in the console and it works, no min specs, no need to upgrade anything, no need to install it launch day to find out that your video/motherboard/sound card combo makes the game unplayable and you have to wait a week until it's patched. Games on the PC will not die any time soon, it will just be different. "
I think thats a better way to put it.

Although i cant say i expected to have a friendly response to a thread like this.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Snail

You know, it's late so I didn't really read all that thoroughly. 

What I can say is that the PC gaming industry is not looking too good, and it is a shame, because I love it. It's a shame to see how big companies with great titles, like Modern Warfare 2 completely disrespect this industry. It is crazy to see RTS and FPS titles NOT being released for the PC. They are meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard if you ask me. Consoles are inferior when it comes to videogames if you ask me. I much prefer PC's for every genre except rhythm games and platformers, and even when it comes to platformers I can utilize a gamepad on the PC, whereas I do not think you can use a mouse and key board in a gaming console. All in all, the PC is the most versatile platform of them all. It is also the most elitist and the most hardcore of them all! :'D 

Oh, and you totally forgot to mention dedicated servers.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Vinchenzo

If you only have a PC these days, then shame on you. Times change. Suck it up and get a console. I hate PC elitists anyway.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox

The fate of PC gaming depends on what happens to console gaming. If "cloud gaming" services such as OnLive get their shit right, they will essentially replace consoles.

PC gaming will stick around longer than console/handheld gaming if only for the "open nature" of the platform. By this I am referring to mods and the ability to write code.

Once cloud gaming has the infrastructure to make it work, almost nobody will own a console. They will own a device that works just like a console over the internet for a monthly fee. Except they will be able to hook a mouse and keyboard up to it for some click and drag action and play PC games through it (just without the modability). Dragon Age is a great example of a game that would flourish with such a service. People could play the game the intended way without having to own an actual gaming rig.

If anything, 'cloud gaming' will be the savior of the PC because the primary flaw with the platform is all but defeated for the mass of players: the stupid expensive hardware. Sure those that wish to keep their rigs up to date with all the latest gear could still do that and benefit from having access to the game data itself, but it's nice to not be required to do so. Hardware prices would surely be affected though -- not sure which way.

Watch Steam become its own true gaming platform once it allows full cloud instead of just a download service/store. GFW would merge with Xbox to create a single platform (hello again, monopoly) and Sony would either combine Viao into it's Playstation brand and try to keep afloat with the other guys or go the Sega route and focus as a publisher.

I'm tellin ya, Cloud will change everything. It may take 20 years. FF7 was like a metaphor or something.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By ch13696

Wow. Did people just all of a sudden forget Steam and Impulse?

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By apathylad

Well, Blizzard isn't making any console games, so I'm sure PC games will still be around. Seriously though, where the hell is Starcraft 2?

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Alex_V

I don't agree in the slightest - this idea that PC gaming is dying is the most tired cliche around.

Piracy is worse on the DS and PSP than it ever will be on the PC, yet nobody says those platforms are dying. It's a lazy argument. Piracy has been around since PCs arrived so why's it suddenly so much more of a problem? I don't buy that for a second.

Heck Facebook games are being measured by the tens of millions in terms of players. Presumably the bulk of those are PC users. These avenues may not suit the traditional hardcore gamer, but they are already much more popular (and potentially lucrative) than console gaming.

I think the truth is that PC gaming is ahead of the curve, as it often has been in its history. The free-to-play model, the browser and casual market, the games as art movement - all are principally based on the PC and leading the way forward for the industry in my opinion.

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ferginator4k
@ch13696 said:
" Wow. Did people just all of a sudden forget Steam and Impulse? "
No plenty of people have brought that up.

@Vinchenzo said:
" If you only have a PC these days, then shame on you. Times change. Suck it up and get a console. I hate PC elitists anyway. "

I have a console 

@Snail said:
" You know, it's late so I didn't really read all that thoroughly.  What I can say is that the PC gaming industry is not looking too good, and it is a shame, because I love it. It's a shame to see how big companies with great titles, like Modern Warfare 2 completely disrespect this industry. It is crazy to see RTS and FPS titles NOT being released for the PC. They are meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard if you ask me. Consoles are inferior when it comes to videogames if you ask me. I much prefer PC's for every genre except rhythm games and platformers, and even when it comes to platformers I can utilize a gamepad on the PC, whereas I do not think you can use a mouse and key board in a gaming console. All in all, the PC is the most versatile platform of them all. It is also the most elitist and the most hardcore of them all! :'D  Oh, and you totally forgot to mention dedicated servers. "
No i'm pretty sure i mentioned dedicated servers towards the end there.
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By bacongames

I've been a PC gamer during the entirety of this console generation and I never see where people are coming from when they say the market is dieing.  The PC hasn't been the focus since the late 90's/early 00's.  So what?  That hasn't stopped millions of PC games getting sold every year and through more open and diverse sources than any other console system.  It just seems popular to say this every once in a while because consoles seem to hold most of the market.  The reason is that there is definitive ownership of each console and so there is a vivid, defined boundary that people can talk and focus on.  That's why the E3 press conferences get so much attention and the PC doesn't because the PC by its very nature isn't a definitive platform and that's what sets it apart.  When it's been like for decades, how can I be surprised people say its dead when consoles have become the focus.  Sales numbers are very much affected by this because the industry standard, the NPD, doesn't consider digital avenues.  Arguably that's the most important part of the PC game financial market and it doesn't factored. So it gets less press.

I personally think PC gaming is growing and getting better.  Steam should be argument enough.  They are making piles of cash and guess what, someone has to be purchasing all those games.  In the last couple of years we've seen two major games from the Ukranian make it in the western market, Telltale single-handely reviving the adventure game market and making a new goddamn Monkey Island game, Valve making TF2 utterly bananas with its post release support, Bioware, Bethesda, id software, Valve, Blizzard and a number of other developers going strong, and the indie games...oh the indie games.

I personally have never run across someone hacking and if they secretly have, me noticing at all.  Piracy is the only deal but digital distribution's freedom has allowed for other incentives to be provided.  I certainly recognize the massive pirating issue but thanks to different services it is no longer as large a barrier of entry as it was in the past.

Besides PC games get discounted faster and more often than console games do.  As a cheap-ass it's my perfect platform.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Slippy
@handlas said:
" @Abyssfull said:

" @Nemesis said:

Lol "
All his posts are like that...i flag them every time I see them.  Don't think that does anything tho.  That's one of the tame ones actually. "
But he's right. Sony aren't going to stick around on a sinking ship - already 4 billion dollars down the drain, wasted on Cell R&D. They will probably be the first to launch a next-gen console and PSP2. 

And as for PC gaming, he's right as well. The number of people using the PC is... most people in the developed world. It's not even 'market share' - it's its own market and can't be compared.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Diamond

It's nuts that in a conversation like this I rarely hear people talk outside of absolutes.  Either PC gaming is dying or will never die, ever.  PC gaming is 'dead' or people have been claiming that since the 90's (and while that is true, not nearly as much as people claim it today).  People have to disagree with all the points, even if some are right, or agree completely and shout it from the mountain tops.  What ever happened to separating yourself from what you discuss and looking at things rationally?

@MrKlorox:

You make interesting points, but if cloud computing is to replace consoles, it won't be the savior of PC gaming.  It won't benefit PC gaming at all, if and or when it comes to pass.  Games would be designed for cloud computers, not PC in such a universe.  There's even the potential of the hardware being completely outside the economic capacity of enthusiasts (they'll be making mainframe / supercomputer hardware in such a world, not consumer hardware for $300-$1000 bucks a pop).  Basically cloud computing is the death of both PC and console gaming as we know it, if it comes to pass.  Lately I've been wondering why people believe that cloud computing must necessarily be the future when you consider the economics all around.  I don't think cloud computing is as written in stone for the immediate few hundred years by any means.  But, that's another discussion...

For people that truthfully don't understand the 'PC gaming is dying' perspective : 
It has to do with the amount of high profile development resources devoted to PC games.  It does seem like it has shrunk greatly since the 90's.  Where in the 90's it felt like a good 50% of all games really were focused on the PC side, tons of exclusive features, versions of games so much better than the console versions that it makes Dragon Age look like a console game.  You had dozens if not hundreds of games like Doom or Wing Commander that you wouldn't see a half decent console version for years.  Today it feels like 95% of high profile games are strongly focused towards consoles.  A game comes out months after the console gamers are already moving on to the next big title.  PC exclusives are rarer and less ambitious than perhaps any time I can remember.  Games are developed for console hardware, to be playable on a gamepad, using console network infrastructure... The list goes on.

For people that truthfully don't understand the 'PC gaming is not dead and will never' perspective :
When you look at what is still being released on PC, it doesn't look that bad.  PC is probably getting a larger portion of console ports than ever in history.  PC gaming is carving out very large 'side' markets in casual gaming (Facebook, WoW, even elements of the TF2 community, for example).  PC's natural hardware advantages still give it graphical superiority in multiplatform releases 98% of the time.  PC gaming is growing in some gaming regions (much of Asia).  Naturally the deals in PC gaming are better than ever, although that is a two sided coin, but it is advantageous to the gamer.
DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DCFGS3

I think the market is changing, rather than dying. Most people still prefer FPS on pc, and RTS is still only playable on PC, anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. PC games are likely to change, to become more and more complex, where you need a mouse and keyboard. Essentially, the PC is still the smart man's console, it just seems there's more consolers these days who don't want to delve into a complex RTS or simulator, ergo, more money in consoles.

Also, the rise in indie games, aided by digital distribution, should be indicator enough. But I've noticed on Giantbomb the community here seems to be very console orientated.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MeierTheRed

I don't own a Windows based PC, but i'm still tired of hearing this thing over and over. PC gaming isn't going anywhere and from what i understand this year was a very good one for PC gaming. 

And the PC also gets some of the consoles block buster titles, only they are better on that platform, at least visually.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2010 will change everything.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Afroman269
@Jimbo said:
" Slowest death in history.  PC gaming deserves an Oscar for how long it's been dying.  True, PC exclusives aren't driving the industry anymore, which is a shame, but PC versions of games are still obviously selling well enough to warrant making them.  That said, there have been multiple 1m+ selling PC exclusives this year (eg. Empire, Sims 3, Wrath) - without counting digital sales - and I doubt many of those games had the budget that your typical million selling 360 or PS3 game has.  If the GB daily plays list is anything to go by, PC gamers haven't gone anywhere, they're just all playing WoW still.  Those WoW numbers every day amaze me. "
this.
No Caption Provided
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bacongames
@Tru3_Blu3 said:

" 2010 will change everything. "

I love how that has no context whatsoever.

If Steam and digital distribution never happened, then I might say it's much weaker but even then it probably wouldn't die.  People always seem to imply that it's not dead now but... like it's going to in the future.  However it always seems to be doing just fine whenever the next guy stands up and says it will die.  Kinda like apocalypse predictions.  No one seems to remember how much people missed the mark and just listen to the next guy.

Have a happy flying-car future everyone!
Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ferginator4k
@Tru3_Blu3 said:
how?

@Tuffgong said:
" I've been a PC gamer during the entirety of this console generation and I never see where people are coming from when they say the market is dieing.  The PC hasn't been the focus since the late 90's/early 00's.  So what?  That hasn't stopped millions of PC games getting sold every year and through more open and diverse sources than any other console system.  It just seems popular to say this every once in a while because consoles seem to hold most of the market.  The reason is that there is definitive ownership of each console and so there is a vivid, defined boundary that people can talk and focus on.  That's why the E3 press conferences get so much attention and the PC doesn't because the PC by its very nature isn't a definitive platform and that's what sets it apart.  When it's been like for decades, how can I be surprised people say its dead when consoles have become the focus.  Sales numbers are very much affected by this because the industry standard, the NPD, doesn't consider digital avenues.  Arguably that's the most important part of the PC game financial market and it doesn't factored. So it gets less press.

I personally think PC gaming is growing and getting better.  Steam should be argument enough.  They are making piles of cash and guess what, someone has to be purchasing all those games.  In the last couple of years we've seen two major games from the Ukranian make it in the western market, Telltale single-handely reviving the adventure game market and making a new goddamn Monkey Island game, Valve making TF2 utterly bananas with its post release support, Bioware, Bethesda, id software, Valve, Blizzard and a number of other developers going strong, and the indie games...oh the indie games.  I personally have never run across someone hacking and if they secretly have, me noticing at all.  Piracy is the only deal but digital distribution's freedom has allowed for other incentives to be provided.  I certainly recognize the massive pirating issue but thanks to different services it is no longer as large a barrier of entry as it was in the past. Besides PC games get discounted faster and more often than console games do.  As a cheap-ass it's my perfect platform. "

I think you're correct about the whole cheap ass platform part but most of the devs you mentioned are multiplatform devs.
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bacongames
@Ferginator4k said:
" @Tru3_Blu3 said:
how?

@Tuffgong said:
" I've been a PC gamer during the entirety of this console generation and I never see where people are coming from when they say the market is dieing.  The PC hasn't been the focus since the late 90's/early 00's.  So what?  That hasn't stopped millions of PC games getting sold every year and through more open and diverse sources than any other console system.  It just seems popular to say this every once in a while because consoles seem to hold most of the market.  The reason is that there is definitive ownership of each console and so there is a vivid, defined boundary that people can talk and focus on.  That's why the E3 press conferences get so much attention and the PC doesn't because the PC by its very nature isn't a definitive platform and that's what sets it apart.  When it's been like for decades, how can I be surprised people say its dead when consoles have become the focus.  Sales numbers are very much affected by this because the industry standard, the NPD, doesn't consider digital avenues.  Arguably that's the most important part of the PC game financial market and it doesn't factored. So it gets less press.

I personally think PC gaming is growing and getting better.  Steam should be argument enough.  They are making piles of cash and guess what, someone has to be purchasing all those games.  In the last couple of years we've seen two major games from the Ukranian make it in the western market, Telltale single-handely reviving the adventure game market and making a new goddamn Monkey Island game, Valve making TF2 utterly bananas with its post release support, Bioware, Bethesda, id software, Valve, Blizzard and a number of other developers going strong, and the indie games...oh the indie games.  I personally have never run across someone hacking and if they secretly have, me noticing at all.  Piracy is the only deal but digital distribution's freedom has allowed for other incentives to be provided.  I certainly recognize the massive pirating issue but thanks to different services it is no longer as large a barrier of entry as it was in the past. Besides PC games get discounted faster and more often than console games do.  As a cheap-ass it's my perfect platform. "
I think you're correct about the whole cheap ass platform part but most of the devs you mentioned are multiplatform devs. "
Does it matter?  Games are getting released on the PC and most developers know that doing both is the best way to get the most sales.  Console only devs are just as rare as PC only devs and multiplatform developers are the reason gaming is what it is today.  Without them we would be knee-deep on console war bullshit and the problems with each platform will shine that much more brightly.  PC games are getting released and good ones at that and the fact that it comes out on the console first or at the same time makes no difference.

By that token, I could easily say that console gaming is dieing because how many console exclusives get released each year?  And how many of those are actually great?  Not more than the number of multiplatform games even with all three systems combined.  As a matter of fact that is the reason the Wii has such a distinct problem with its market and direction vs. the other platforms but that's a different discussion.

Yes PC gaming isn't doing as well as consoles, but that doesn't mean it's dieing.  Market shift is all.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrKlorox
To continue the conversation it would be good to define PC gaming. Does it all boil down to modability?

@Diamond: Cloud computing might not necessarily be the future for home gaming, but it's most likely the future for handheld gaming. Something that could really blow up as a result.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By asurastrike

PC gaming is only dying in the eyes of people who don't count Free to Play MMO's, and browser based games. Maybe less of the games you like to play are receiving PC ports, but there are more people playing PC games now than there ever have been.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bacongames
@MrKlorox said:
" To continue the conversation it would be good to define PC gaming. Does it all boil down to modability?

@Diamond: Cloud computing might not necessarily be the future for home gaming, but it's most likely the future for handheld gaming. Something that could really blow up as a result. "
Cloud computing will hit the PC first, that is a guarantee.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Akeldama
@Babble said:
" The amount of money I've spent during the Steam sale says otherwise. "
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Diamond
@Tuffgong said:

Console only devs are just as rare as PC only devs and multiplatform developers are the reason gaming is what it is today.

I can't agree with a statement like that, especially if I replace 'devs' with 'games'.  Unless you're counting 1-man indie PC game developers against large companies like From Software, Nippon Ichi, Bungie, Namco Bandai, Tecmo, Naughty Dog, a plethora of JRPG games/developers, most Sega releases, Konami, Rare, the first party development inside MS, Sony, and Nintendo...  No doubt consoles have a much more significant exclusive development base.  That's part of the reason this kind of discussion comes up in the first place.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@ch13696 said:
And Good Old Games (gog.com) and Gametap and Stardock and so many other online retailers.

PC gaming is not dead.  Piracy isn't killing it.  Posts like the OP are killing my brain and patience though.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MrKlorox
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @ch13696 said:
And Good Old Games (gog.com) and Gametap and Stardock and so many other online retailers.  PC gaming is not dead.  Piracy isn't killing it.  Posts like the OP are killing my brain and patience though. "
Impulse is Stardock.... just sayin'
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Al3xand3r

Bungie games have been on PC, SEGA publishes big PC only franchises like Football Manager and Total War and have put out on PC some of their Japanese games too like Outrun, Konami has put out PC versions of games like Silent Hill and Metal Gear Solid. Why not count indie devs? It's a legit newly rejuvenated field that's showing growth and some people are into indie games just as much as anything else. Then there are MMO devs, simulation devs, and other types that are primarily on PC, as well as a vast casual industry that puts Wii to shame with PopCap, MumboJumbo, etc.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Diamond
@MrKlorox said:

@Diamond: Cloud computing might not necessarily be the future for home gaming, but it's most likely the future for handheld gaming. Something that could really blow up as a result.

Yea, I definitely think the mobile format is where cloud computing would be the most useful.  Although I don't think that will necessarily translate into overall home success, I do imagine a sort of future not long from now where I could be playing a handheld game that looked amazing and flip it over on to a HDTV on the fly without stopping play. @Tuffgong said:

Cloud computing will hit the PC first, that is a guarantee.

It depends on what you mean by hit.  It could have the first major success on mobile formats, but odds are the first cloud computing ever was done via a PC (but that moment has already passed).

@Al3xand3r said:

Bungie games have been on PC, SEGA publishes big PC only franchises like Football Manager and Total War, Konami has put out PC versions of many games, etc.

In the past, sure.  Maybe Bungie will also return to PC gaming after Halo Reach, I don't know.  The point is development though, not publishing.  Still, as I said, consoles have MUCH more exclusive development than PC these days.

@Al3xand3r said:
Konami has put out PC versions of games like Silent Hill and Metal Gear Solid.
Not recently, and that's the whole point.

@Al3xand3r said:
Why not count indie devs?
They definitely need to be considered, but people shouldn't act like the guy that made Armadillo Run counts as much as Nippon Ichi software, for example.  You can point out all the exceptions you want, because there are many more console exclusive games / developers where that comes from.  Nitpicking the points won't get us anywhere.
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bacongames
@Diamond said:
It depends on what you mean by hit.  It could have the first major success on mobile formats, but odds are the first cloud computing ever was done via a PC (but that moment has already passed).
Well I mean a cloud computing game service to be used by people.  That will be on the PC first or at least not hit consoles before the PC in that sense.

@Diamond said:

" @Tuffgong said:

Console only devs are just as rare as PC only devs and multiplatform developers are the reason gaming is what it is today.

I can't agree with a statement like that, especially if I replace 'devs' with 'games'.  Unless you're counting 1-man indie PC game developers against large companies like From Software, Nippon Ichi, Bungie, Naughty Dog, a plethora of JRPG games/developers, most Sega releases, Konami...  No doubt consoles have a much more significant exclusive development base.  That's part of the reason this kind of discussion comes up in the first place. "
I'm not including the Eastern only developers because that's a different model/market all together.  That is a predominant console market no matter how you cut it...unless you talk about the MMO market but again different place for that subject.

What I counted was, did this developer make only console games?  Was it released in the western market?  If yes then I counted it.  Same thing but for PC.  That would have to include smaller PC developers versus the larger console ones yes.  I agree that the number of relatively large developers on each.  However a vast majority of developers that I can recall have for one game or another released both a console and a PC game.  Either may be exclusive but strictly exclusive to either I think is more rare in my mind.  I could be wrong but from where I stand, that's what I can see.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Diamond said:
" @Tuffgong said:

I can't agree with a statement like that, especially if I replace 'devs' with 'games'.  Unless you're counting 1-man indie PC game developers against large companies like From Software, Nippon Ichi, Bungie, Namco Bandai, Tecmo, Naughty Dog, a plethora of JRPG games/developers, most Sega releases, Konami, Rare, the first party development inside MS, Sony, and Nintendo...  No doubt consoles have a much more significant exclusive development base.  That's part of the reason this kind of discussion comes up in the first place. "
Those dev teams you list have ALWAYS seen consoles as their  primary targets.  PC gaming had a sharp increase during the 1990s due to the rise of  multimedia hardware and relative cheapness of the said hardware on PCs vs the first CD based consoles like the SEGA CD and 3DO.  The market for PC has just levelled off.  Very few developers need to target the PC as their first port of call but the good ones make sure their PC releases are PC centric, like Bioware or 2K and the bad ones like Infinity Ward with the POS that MW2 is on PC, do it as an Afterthought. 
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Diamond
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Diamond said:
" @Tuffgong said:

I can't agree with a statement like that, especially if I replace 'devs' with 'games'.  Unless you're counting 1-man indie PC game developers against large companies like From Software, Nippon Ichi, Bungie, Namco Bandai, Tecmo, Naughty Dog, a plethora of JRPG games/developers, most Sega releases, Konami, Rare, the first party development inside MS, Sony, and Nintendo...  No doubt consoles have a much more significant exclusive development base.  That's part of the reason this kind of discussion comes up in the first place. "
Those dev teams you list have ALWAYS seen consoles as their  primary targets.  PC gaming had a sharp increase during the 1990s due to the rise of  multimedia hardware and relative cheapness of the said hardware on PCs vs the first CD based consoles like the SEGA CD and 3DO.  The market for PC has just levelled off.  Very few developers need to target the PC as their first port of call but the good ones make sure their PC releases are PC centric, like Bioware or 2K and the bad ones like Infinity Ward with the POS that MW2 is on PC, do it as an Afterthought.
I don't think that changes much though because in addition to console exclusive developers staying exclusive to consoles in many cases, many formerly PC exclusive developers are now multiplatform.  Many of the cornerstones of PC gaming, Epic, id, Valve, as well as more obscure / niche developers like Maddox and Red Lynx.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Al3xand3r

Not recently? Pro Evo 2009, 2010, Silent Hill: Homecoming in 08, Saw (lol) in 2009, and MGS: Rising may show up on PC. If we're mentioning tiny niche developers as more legit than indies then let's count all the Korean and Chinese MMO developers for PC and of course the casual developers like MumboJumbo and PopCap (whch I guess you may have missed since I added them to the last post after a while). Perhaps they don't come to mind because you're personally not interested in those games but then again someone who's been gaming on PC alone the past decade will hardly care for some of the niche console games either, yet they're most certainly worth the mention.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Diamond
@Al3xand3r: As far as Silent Hill and MGS are concerned, neither of those games were/are being developed by Konami.

@Al3xand3r said:
PopCap
I've honestly never heard of MumboJumbo, but PopCap is as multiplatform as it gets.  Mobile, consoles, and PC.  I don't disagree that you should consider Korean or Chinese developers, although you have to weigh the quality and quantity of their products realistically.  When you start considering every indie game it gets more complicated, especially with all the indie development on consoles these days as well.  It would become a semantics discussion rather than about the subject at hand.  Maybe you disagree that consoles have more exclusive development by far, but it seems clear to me.  I don't think there's anything I can say to convince you if that's what you believe.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Al3xand3r

Um, what? You won't count them if Konami assigned the port to another? The game was still developed by Konami and they wanted it on PC. True about PopCap, but the vast majority of their output isn't on consoles. If you don't count Konami for PC then don't count PopCap for their lesser fields. And lol @ now considering quality. Sorry, but what you're considering is personal interest. You don't care about Korean MMOs, hence you think they aren't worth as much as another... Then again tons of Asian dudes play them even though they can just as easily access WoW or other bigger (here) games. Well okay then, let's count company worth. How many console companies is Blizzard worth? NCSoft? Stardock? Where do you count Microsoft for providing the very technology games run on PC through? And do they make more money on consoles or on PC? Do we then exclude Sony from the field altogether because they mostly do other electronics so they fit neither on PC (despite Sony Online) nor on console? Do we exclude Blizzard from PC because they're alongside Activision who is clearly multiplatform orientated? Etc.

It gets pretty complicated eh?

I never said there aren't more console devs (though given all the different markets I have no interest in to watch and see how they grow therefor I'm pretty clueless about them I'm not sure at all, since you said mobile SEGA is pretty big on that field also for example), I just didn't like the way you confronted the other dude with those companies, implying there are so many it's unreal when even some of your big examples were already flawed. What I feel is in my first post and I've seen nothing that confronts it in a meaningful way.

Not being the biggest has nothing to do with dying in any case. Otherwise only one console would be alive too.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bacongames

Multiplatform + digitial distribution = PC is doing just damn fine.

That's really the essence of my argument against the PC as a dieing platform.  As more and more developers go mutliplatform (including PC in that list) the PC is getting new games it otherwise wouldn't (Resident Evil for instance) and consoles are getting games they otherwise wouldn't (Oblivion, id software games).  It's a win-win I think and I certainly can play more games are a result and that's the end goal for me.  Outside of the exclusives for each console I can count on one hand, I am able to play just as many games on the PC as a console player.  Certainly a majority of games that are talked about and matter.

If one kid can see that PC gaming is thriving, how could it still be around if there was only a few other people like me?

I will say that PC gaming has the worst PR in the world and that needs to change.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Slippy
@Diamond said:
" @Al3xand3r: As far as Silent Hill and MGS are concerned, neither of those games were/are being developed by Konami. "
Metal Gear Solid Rising is coming to PC, as far as we know it's being handled by Kojima Pro themselves. 
Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Chyro
@Vinchenzo said:

" If you only have a PC these days, then shame on you. Times change. Suck it up and get a console. I hate PC elitists anyway. "

Not really.  I only have a PC and it's basically a better Xbox 360 if you prefer keyboard/mouse.  Almost all the games that come out on Xbox 360 release on PC.  And if you are not a huge fan of Halo or Gears of War 2 you won't miss much.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Diamond

This conversation has gotten rather sad.  People are only caring about defending the platform they're a fan of.  I'll make a few points but this sort of discussion is feeling more and more hopeless on Giant Bomb these days.

@Chyro said:

Not really.  I only have a PC and it's basically a better Xbox 360 if you prefer keyboard/mouse.  Almost all the games that come out on Xbox 360 release on PC.  And if you are not a huge fan of Halo or Gears of War 2 you won't miss much.
Couldn't the same be said if you owned a 360 instead of a PC?  If you're not a huge fan of World of Warcraft or Crysis you wouldn't miss much?  It's a pretty ignorant claim either way, IMO.  Any platform exclusive gamer really is missing a LOT.

@Slippy:  I may have misheard something at some point as I heard it was being developed by a Western studio (like Silent Hill Homecoming).  If I am wrong I gladly withdraw that point.

@Tuffgong said:
Outside of the exclusives for each console I can count on one hand, I am able to play just as many games on the PC as a console player.
Are you saying you only personally know of 5 console exclusives for each or are you claiming that as true?  Because I can name dozens for each, if you absolutely need me to.

@Al3xand3r said:
If you don't count Konami for PC then don't count PopCap for console for the same reason.
I don't count PopCap for console, I count them multiplatform.  Konami is strongly console focused.  MGS2, 3, 4 got no PC release.  The majority of their internally developed titles don't get PC releases.  Perhaps MGS Rising is going to change that and set them in a more Capcom-like direction, I don't know.  For now though I claim them to be a console focused developer.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By Jeust
@Al3xand3r said:
" You're funny. And no."
Hell of a time to make these threads.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Diamond said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Diamond said:
" @Tuffgong said:

I don't think that changes much though because in addition to console exclusive developers staying exclusive to consoles in many cases, many formerly PC exclusive developers are now multiplatform.  Many of the cornerstones of PC gaming, Epic, id, Valve, as well as more obscure / niche developers like Maddox and Red Lynx. "
My point exactlty.  It doesn't change much at all.  The Exclusive PC Roster of Developers mostly died out during the '90s like Microprose, ORIGIN and so on because the market shift was already in the wings.  Still, PC gamers have a large library of product and a lot of the so called console exclusives would have no business being on PC at all.  Take the Wii library for example.  Which PC gamer would want ANY of that, save for the possible exception of SH Shattered Memories? They wouldn't.  The same goes for the 360 and PS3.  Sure there are some titles that might be fun to see on PC, especially those that are supposedly only possible on the PS3 like Uncharted and KillZone 2 to which I heartily  say BOOOOOOLLLLLSHIIIIIIIT.  But other than a few spare titles, it really doesn't matter.  The debacle of IWnet / MW2 has only shown that while it sold well and some people complained in the same breath (protests lol) it really doesn't reflect a trend all over the industry.  GTA IV still looks and plays better on PC,  Crysis still looks better than anything on a console, Dragon Age : Origins still looks better and plays best on PC (tactical zoom ftw), Bioshock still looks and plays best on PC as will Bioshock 2.  No matter how many console exclusives there are now and in the future the best gaming experience will always be on the PC.  I have no PC Bias, I own a 360 and have owned a PS3 and almost every other console (still have my PSP, DC, N64, Megadrive and Atari Lynx) but the facts are the facts.  

I know  many PC gamers fear a console centric world as to them it heralds the death of PC gaming but in truth that will never happen.  For every 10 console exclusives from older teams, there's always going to be one Crytek coming up from the realm of the PC.  That will never, ever change because even with XNA's arrival it's only free on PC.  MS knows the market trends and history well enough to understand that you can't foster really new and innovative ideas within a closed system, so they leave the PC side as open as possible.