So what IS open-world jank, anyway?

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Deusoma

I've heard the Bomb Squad (primarily Ryan) refer to "open-world jank" a few times in Quick Looks and the Bombcast, and while the word "janky" usually means a game is crap, they seem to use the OWJ term with something close to reverence when discussing Crackdown or the Just Cause games, though they never really go into exactly what it means, seems to be one of those things you just need to already understand.

So I'll put this in an amusing way: If you were starting the Open-World Jank concept page, how would you define it?

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Akeldama

See:  

Red Faction, Crackdown, InFamous, Just Cause 2, etc. 

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Common glitches in open world games. That's how I would define it. One of my favorites is seeing a vehicle dancing where it spawned, usually clipping through the ground or another object.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Deusoma: 
I thought there actually already was an open world jank concept page. Also, I wish I could remember the exact Bombcast, but they did discuss it in some detail at a point.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
  • Clipping
  • Pop-in
  • Bad draw distance
  • Bad collision (bad physics, in other words)
  • Underworld/Blue hell
takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By takua108
  • NPCs acting weird (pedestrians, usually)
  • Triggered events not occurring at the right time, or at all (e.g. a character is supposed to do a thing, but doesn't, or does at the wrong time)
  • Massive framerate hits for doing things you're not "supposed to" do (or doing too much of it at once) 

EDIT: Also, "janky" doesn't mean bad... 

adjective used to describe a person, place or thing which is questionable, fucked up, wrong, strange, broken down, undesirable, and/or just some thing you can't think of another word for. The origin of this work is explained somewhat in the conversation example. Friends and I were sitting around drinking coffee one morning, and I was bitching about my empty cup when my friend blamed the lack of coffee on the "janky ass coffee maker." I have since heard the word in the movie Friday. 
Other forms: janked, janked up, janked out,
I was dancing with my friends and some janky old mutherfucker came up to me and started grabbin' my ass! 

Michelle: yo, when's that coffee going to be ready? 

Crystal: I don't know. This janky ass coffee maker takes forever. 

He was a weirdo and made me feel all janked out, so I left. 

I didn't get into Harvard. I don't know what I'm going to do now - it's totally janked up.  

Urban Dictionary, "janky," third definition
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel
@JJWeatherman said:
" @Deusoma:  I thought there actually already was an open world jank concept page. Also, I wish I could remember the exact Bombcast, but they did discuss it in some detail at a point. "
There was an Open World Jank page, but it was deleted on the grounds of being too subjective.
Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Quacktastic
@Deusoma said:

" If you were starting the Open-World Jank concept page, how would you define it? "

An accepted level of buggy or unpolished content due to a games large-scale ambition.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Quacktastic said:
" @Deusoma said:

" If you were starting the Open-World Jank concept page, how would you define it? "

An accepted level of buggy or unpolished content due to a games large-scale ambition. "
Thats the perfect way to describe it.