SoCal Giant Bombers E3 Meetup 2011 (or SoCAGiBoE3MeUp 2011)

misclet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By misclet

Help GB Community!

So as E3 approaches, the stress of making appointments and scheduling meetings start to build and maybe falter one's hopes for fun and video games. Well, there's a cure for that.  
Alcohol. 
Or other people. 
My name is Kenny and I have a proposal for this year's E3... 

LET'S MEET UP!

I'm a SoCal Giant Bomber and being a lazy journalist, I didn't send my press credentials on time this year. Even after two attempts in various E3 contests, my efforts proved fruitless. Broken but not beaten, I am still going to make the 40 minute drive to the convention center and do my best to cover E3 as the E3 LURKER. 
What I see E3 as is the opportunity to meet some of the coolest people and this is what I'm proposing. I think Giant Bomb doesn't give SoCal enough love since there is nothing really to come down here for, video game-wise, other than E3, and that's strictly business. Other opportunities for the Bomb Squad to meet the community are usually never in SoCal. I know E3 is a busy time and casual meetups are low priority, this is still worth a shot. 
So here's what I need help with... 

A Venue.

I've been thinking about this for a while now. I like bars. My knowledge of Downtown LA bars consist of Little Tokyo's Far Bar (my favorite), La Cita and Bar 107. All these bars are reasonably priced and the beer is good. One thing about bars though, not everyone is 21 and over, so any venues where all ages can go would be a helpful suggestion. Any other places or activities are more than welcome, especially if they are closer to the convention center. I was also thinking about maybe a Street Fighter Tourney at the Japan Arcade in the Little Tokyo Mall (I've spent quite some time in Little Tokyo as you can deduce). That might be cool too. 

A Time.

For a meeting time, I was thinking after the first day of the expo, around 6-7 p.m. All of the big conferences will be over and done with by that time and also the expo floor should be shut down so perfect time to relax and discuss the amazing shit the first day has brought. I don't know when the live Bombcast will happen but when the times are known, we can change the time. Also, don't know about any other parties so it would be greatly appreciated to get some help with the time management. 

In conclusion. 

This is just an idea. An idea that should bloom into an drunken wager. Then a drunken wager vomited out into a maybe occurrence. I hope you all can help me out with this sleep-deprived idea. If I'm just being too much of a dreamer, be sure to let me know. I'm looking forward to E3 and video games are good. I'm looking at Sunday at the latest for this shit to be finalized and planned. If not, I'll be at the bar throughout. Come hang out! You know it'll be fun. 

-misclet 
Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Lunar_Aura

If you guys get a somewhat solid structure for this meetup then I'll probably be down. Let me just say that if you're looking to schmooze a pass for E3 you're really better off using said schmoozing skills to score into a publisher's after party as those are way more fun than the convention itself.

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By TJ311

As ive said before, i am down, but not over 21 

im okay with anytime, anyplace that allows people under 21. if any of those bars that you mentioned allows minors, that will be cool.  

im more of a care free guy when it comes to this stuff and im not as familiar with some of the stuff downtown has to offer.  

but if anyone has any ideas just put them out there cuz i really wanna meet some socal giant bombers.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Slaker117

Could be cool, but I'm under 21 and am not really sure what there would be to do.

Nonentity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By Nonentity

I got my badge, I'll be around. Pick a place.

Not sure how insanely crowded places around DTLA will be, but Casey's Irish Pub off of Grand and Wilshire is nice, and they have ping pong. Not sure if that is too far for non-LA locals, though.

misclet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By misclet

@LunarAura: I'm not trying to schmooze my way into E3 but I'm not above it. :P I did the lurking deal in '09 and still was able to meet a lot of cool people, but if you know where the industry parties are at, let me know so I can put on my best schmoozing gear and hat.

@Nonentity: Once I read ping pong, I got instantly excited. But maybe. I've got an idea brewing right now.

imachicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By imachicken

I'm reticent to meet people on the internet. Also I'm under 21. Fudge.

misclet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By misclet
No Caption Provided

Here's what I've got planned. Rough edit but it gets the job done. Tell me what you think!

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TJ311
@misclet said:
No Caption Provided

Here's what I've got planned. Rough edit but it gets the job done. Tell me what you think!

pretty cool. there is a lot going on on the poster though. ill try to make a couple. the live streams start at 8.
misclet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By misclet

@WR311: Yeah I knew if I said 8, fate would HAVE to make the Bombcasts at the same time. :( Well, I'll still be outside of west hall throughout the expo.

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TJ311
@misclet: alrite, if i dont make it to the meetups, ill be sure to try to meet you.
Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I might go to the Japan Arcade meet.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Hot_Karl

that sounds awesome guys, have fun. I'm stuck in Irvine with finals for the week, so I can't make it out, but under different circumstances, I'd be there, raging with y'all.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lunar_Aura

So any updates? Turnout? I might go tomorrow as planned (Japan Arcade).