Street Fighter X Mega Man Released! =D

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By fobwashed

It's out, but it's a sloooooow download currently.

I'm at 7.3/33.8 with a hot 47 min left -_-;;

Go grab it here at Capcom's Unity site and then let's discuss!

I for one am super interested to see what a fan made full on game feels like. Also psyched to check out some new chip tunes Mega Man/Street Fighter music.

Trailer

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

So there's a big pet peeve of mine that almost every single Megaman romhack does that makes me extremely angry and annoyed. Every rom hacker loooooooooves Sniper Joe, and feels the need to put him in narrow corridors with very little room to move, and put him right on the path you need to go with no way to skip him.

C.Viper's stage is 90% this.

Somebody please bring me a table so I can FUCKING FLIP IT OVER IN RAGE.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fobwashed

@Morbid_Coffee: I actually haven't played any non official MegaMan games before. Are there any good ones out there? And how crazy do they get? Also, do you know what they're made in? Flash, Unity, straight up hacking a rom? =P

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Snail

Page won't even load! D:

EDIT: Okay, never mind, it works now. Though, yeah, the download is pretty slow - estimate is about 24 minutes for me, at 17.7 KB/sec.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

:D

Edit: even the download speed seems to be a retro throwback :o

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

@Fobwashed: A lot of them are just hacked roms of the classic games. A lot of them are terrible too!

There is a flash Megaman clone though. Rokko Chan. It kind of blows almost every other Megaman fangame out of the water while being more of a parody and homage.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#7  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

I played through Ryu and Chun-Li's levels and it seems pretty sub-par. Really boring repetitious level design.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fobwashed

@Taku128: What do you think of the boss fights?

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#9  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@Fobwashed: They're okay I guess. They have a super meter that fills up as you hit them like in Street Fighter, and that's neat I guess. Take off a huge chunk of your health from a single hit with any attack, just like an actual Mega Man boss.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By D_W

Played it... eh.

The controls don't seem to map right. Using a gamepad you can't use the d-pad and for some reason have to use enter on the menu screen to select someone. The analog stick on the character select screen is WAY too responsive. Too the point where shacking the controller even slightly sends the cursor all over the place.

Rebinding keys is also awkward. And you can only do it at the pause menu. Hitting ESC instantly exits the game without a confirmation. I hit it as a common back button so this was a big problem as it should have just functioned like a pause button instead.

Level design doesn't seem terribly wonderful from what I've seen so far. I only really tired C. Viper's Level though.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#11  Edited By wumbo3000

It's weird to nitpick about a free game, but I'm gonna do it anyways.

It sucks how you can't use the d-pad to move Megaman with the 360 controller. And somehow the movement feels a little off. I'm not used to Megaman stopping on a dime like that. The backgrounds and levels are also pretty bland too. But whatever, it's free, why am I complaining?

Onto the good things. Love the little things they throw in there, like if you get killed by a boss without hurting them, PERFECT shows up on the screen. And if you get killed by a boss' ultra, then the screen has that orange flare similar to SFIV. As a fan of both Megaman and Street Fighter, this is rad.

It's also balls hard. I consider myself a pretty good Megaman player (I've beaten Megaman 1-8) but I couldn't beat Ryu or Rose. Gonna try again tomorrow.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Morbid_Coffee
No Caption Provided

Beat it. Thoughts:

• The boss fights are really hit or miss. Some of them are really fun (Ryu, Rolento, Urien, Vega, M.Bison) while the others are kind of boring (I'm looking at you, Chun-Li.)
  • The only stage that felt fun to play was Urien's stage. Most of the others are super bland and unforgettable.
  • POOR POOR LEVEL DESIGN DECISIONS ALL AROUND. I had this worry when I first saw the game like a year ago, and it really does some of the worst things romhacks do. The challenge of Megaman games should be based around the platforming in the level, and learning the boss pattern at the end. This game got half of that right. The levels are bad. If it's not filling a hallway with Sniper Joes, it's filling it with a billion other enemies just to make your life hell and to say "ha ha you can't dodge this!" And then there's Dhalsim's stage, which is just filled with arbitrary dead ends just to annoy the player. Making a maze level might have been a good idea, but once you play it it's really not.
  • Lighting legs are like the metal blade if it has no range.
  • Charge shot pretty much beats everything, just like Megaman 4. Personal gripe of mine, not a big deal.
  • The super finish sunburst and "PERFECT" if you die without hitting the boss are really clever. I got a laugh out of both.
  • The continue screen with the beat up Megaman was pretty great.
  • There is no save or password system at all. You either beat the game in one sitting, or you don't. Seems a little dumb not to have at least a password system, but I have zero knowledge on game programming so I can't say for sure how easy it would be to make.

The game had it's moments, but you can really tell this is a fan game, because there are a lot of obvious flaws. Maybe I'll make a post or blog about what they are sometime. And if you feel like spoiling yourself on weaknesses:

Ryu: Aegis Reflector

Chun-Li: Hadouken

C.Viper: Lightning Legs

Dhalsim: Optic Shot

Blanka: Yoga Fire

Rose: Blanka's weapon (can't remember the name right now.)

Rolento: Soul Satelite

Urien: Rolento's weapon (again, can't remember the name)

Balrog: Walking right

Vega: Lightning Legs, but charge shot does the same amount of damage and you're safe

M.Bison: Hadouken

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#13  Edited By BeachThunder

Was playing for about 1.5 hours; I was constantly getting my ass handed to me D:

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By MocBucket62

Yay! I don't care what most of you are saying, I want to download this and go Megaman on Blanka's ass!

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

So anybody know if the E-Tank spawns are random or is my game just messed up? Because I started a buster-only run and I was getting E-tanks floating in mid air in random places, and one spawned in the boss room.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fobwashed

@D_W said:

Played it... eh.

The controls don't seem to map right. Using a gamepad you can't use the d-pad and for some reason have to use enter on the menu screen to select someone. The analog stick on the character select screen is WAY too responsive. Too the point where shacking the controller even slightly sends the cursor all over the place.

Rebinding keys is also awkward. And you can only do it at the pause menu. Hitting ESC instantly exits the game without a confirmation. I hit it as a common back button so this was a big problem as it should have just functioned like a pause button instead.

Level design doesn't seem terribly wonderful from what I've seen so far. I only really tired C. Viper's Level though.

I agree about the lack of d-pad support being sorta crazy. The sticks are super sensitive and the buttons aren't mapped correctly imo. I beat Chun Li, and played a bit of the other stages so far and it plays nicely but the levels I tried seem a bit bland. Though, maybe I'm expecting too much and the way I recall mega man games of old is through rose tinted glasses. Still, game is mighty impressive coming from a fan rather than a team of programmers. I also enjoyed what music I've heard so far =)

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By Daneian

@Morbid_Coffee: Which classic style Mega Man do you think is the best? I love the shit out of 9 and the way its levels take a concept and keep building on it.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

@Daneian said:

@Morbid_Coffee: Which classic style Mega Man do you think is the best? I love the shit out of 9 and the way its levels take a concept and keep building on it.

2 and 3 are by far the best in every regard. 4 has some interesting levels, but everything else about 4 just ins't that good.

Also I finally figured out why the controls seem off: The game is super sensitive about diagonal inputs. If yo're not perfectly straight on the d-pad/stick, you're going to slide when you wanted to jump. It's really annoying! I plugged in my USB SNES controller specifically to void the unresponsiveness of the keyboard and 360 controller and it has the exact same problem.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

Double post!

The secret boss is pretty fun. The boss fights are definitely where all the work went, and I kind of wish the game was just a boss rush gauntlet. I'd be more forgiving if it were.

Also if you guys want something pretty great pause the game when you're in a level, hold jump, and press up, down, down down, really fast.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ducksworth

Downloading right now but man, this is a sad excuse for a 25th Anniversary. At least there was a positive reaction to there being something at all, hopefully it'll show Capcom that they should throw some money at the blue bomber.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I beat Chun-Li and I'm working on Crimson Viper's stage. I love the idea but I've never been a fan of the 8-bit Mega Man games so I'm not getting a lot out of it besides all the Street Fighter stuff.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Phatmac

Wish we got more stuff for Mega Man's anniversary.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Morbid_Coffee
MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By MikeFightNight

Saw them announce this at the SF 25th anniversary tournament and was reminded of "I wanna be the guy" Evo edition. Never been a big Mega Man guy, but I like what i've played so far. Played Urien's stage first and the second I heard his music and saw the aegis reflectors I was in. Can't complain for free, and I like a lot of the nods they make. Haven't seen it all but I don't think it will have a moment that can ever live up to this.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By casper_

please put urien in every game thanks