The Giantbomb Community's Top Ten Games of the Year for 2012!

• 166 results
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By thatfrood

The Giantbomb Community's Top Ten Games of the Year 2012

No Caption Provided

HAPPY NEW YEAR! YOU MADE IT!

Over six hundred and fifty people submitted lists this year! That's fantastic! That's easily 200% more than last time!

2012 was definitely an odd year for games. Easily the strongest year for downloadable titles ever, as the top ten list will clearly show. A big year for narrative in games as well. It's shocking to see how sparse the list is of AAA titles and sequels. Partially that may be because many of the AAA titles this year turned out to be disappointments, but the "smaller" titles picked up the slack with ample ability!

If you want a complete and thorough rundown of all submissions go to the following google spreadsheet where I have uploaded all the data I drew from the code. Each game received 10 points for being at the number 1 spot on a user's list, 9 points for being second, 8 for being third and so on and so forth. The "Appearances" column lists how many times the game appeared on someone's list, regardless of its placement. Then after that, it shows how many people voted for a game to be number 1, number 2, so and so forth etc. etc.

Now! Onwards to the list!

1. The Walking Dead

Are you surprised? You aren't. No one is. Not only is The Walking Dead the Giantbomb Community's #1 Game of the Year, it is #1 BY A LANDSLIDE. Sitting comfortably at near DOUBLE the score total of the runner-up. 68 percent of users put The Walking Dead on their GOTY lists and the majority of them put it as their favorite game that year!

Score: 3613 Distribution: 181 102 39 31 24 20 15 9 7 11

2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown

XCOM: Enemy Unknown, A turn based strategy game, makes it to 2nd place, losing to an interactive point and click adventure. Tie me down and slap me silly. XCOM was evenly featured among the top 3 on most users' lists.

Score: 2255 Distribution: 69 54 53 33 30 21 17 10 17 7

3. Journey

Journey makes it to third place. Impeccable art direction and design make it a nearly faultless game with a compelling take on multiplayer communication.

Score: 1944 Distribution: 52 67 42 29 19 12 14 6 14 6

4. Mass Effect 3

Scandal be damned, nothing is going to stop Mass Effect 3 from making it to the Top Ten.

Score: 1686 Distribution: 22 41 29 41 37 28 19 22 24 26

5. Borderlands 2

Borderlands 2 makes it to fifth place. It's damn fun and it's damn addicting. Maybe you aren't going to be crying over it, but you are going to be smiling. And more importantly, you're going to spend hours playing it and still see no end in sight.

Score: 1432 Distribution: 26 30 29 33 20 24 27 19 10 14

6. Far Cry 3

Though a late arrival Far Cry 3 makes a strong impression. Complaints about the story's ending aside, few games deliver on the quantity and quality of experience as Far Cry 3 does.

Score: 1339 Distribution: 26 32 36 22 23 16 18 11 9 8

7. Sleeping Dogs

There were few people who would have told you Sleeping Dogs was going to be anywhere near a Top Ten list before it came out, and yet here we are. Doing little revolutionary, Sleeping Dogs manages to take the features from games it borrows from and create an absolutely solid and engaging open world.

Score: 1165 Distribution: 13 17 22 34 24 30 23 14 14 12

8. Hotline Miami

I think my favorite thing I've ever heard said about Hotline Miami was this: forget Mortal Kombat, forget Doom, if the media ever blamed Hotline Miami for violence... just throw your hands up and say "yeah, sorry, we f***** up." No other game this year is as psychotic, as hypnotizing and as violent as Hotline Miami. It has a way of getting somewhere deep inside you and sticking there like an itch.

Score: 1048 Distribution: 11 17 27 19 22 19 24 20 18 17

9. Mark of the Ninja

Mark of the Ninja makes it to ninth by virtue of tight and engaging game design. You feel like you can pull off anything and you feel damn cool every time you do.

Score: 1030 Distribution: 13 11 22 20 25 27 23 24 16 4

10. Dishonored

And another stealth game ends 2012's Top Ten list. Like Mark of the Ninja, Dishonored makes a compelling stealth game by providing player choice through gameplay that is exciting and fun. It will be interesting to see what the designers do with the sequel because a re-invention and revolution of the stealth game seems nigh if not already here.

Score: 953 Distribution: 10 14 22 22 18 26 16 18 15 11

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Great list, surprised by Dishonored and Mass Effect. Dishonored because it seemed to be forgotten by everyone.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By kerse

This list isn't too surprising, I'm just happy to see Sleeping Dogs on there.

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By PK_Koopa

Sheesh, I only own 2 of the games on this list! Guess I missed out on a lot of 2012's best.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

I am genuinely surprised to see Mass Effect 3 not only appear on the list, but on the top half at that.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#6  Edited By Kidavenger

@Yummylee said:

I am genuinely surprised to see Mass Effect 3 not only appear on the list, but on the top half at that.

Me too, despite that, it's probably the best top ten list I've seen this year.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Phatmac

I bet that you'll still find people complaining about this list even though it was done democratically! I wish Mark of the Ninja was higher, but I'm glad it's still there! I'm also surprised that ME3 and Dishonored are on that list! Still, I like most of these games. Great job for doing this!

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

This is a good list.

JJRage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By JJRage

I guess I'm one of the few NOT surprised to see Mass Effect 3 on the list. Set aside the vitriol over the ending, it's still a great game and the culmination of a fantastic trilogy.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By napalm

@Yummylee said:

It's still a great game. It just stumbles during a lot of really important areas.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Glad that Sleeping Dogs is there and that Journey is 3rd. Least year for each of the games you showed the amount of times it was put in each spot and the total points. I miss that.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#12  Edited By D_W

The biggest surprise to me is how similar it is to the staff list.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel

And not a single game on my list made it.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Mezmero

I don't know how I feel about Dishonored beating out both Fez and FTL. Guess face and neck stabbing holds more influence over the user base than I thought. Pretty cool list otherwise. Happy New Year ya filthy animals.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thatfrood

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Glad that Sleeping Dogs is there and that Journey is 3rd. Least year for each of the games you showed the amount of times it was put in each spot and the total points. I miss that.

That data's still available, maybe I'll edit the list to add it to the main post. But you can see it all here.

Edit: edited list to have the top ten's distributions.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By TheHT

This might be my favourite list on the site.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By golguin

5 of my games made it on the list. We have walking dead, journey, mass effect 3, borderlands 2, and sleeping dogs. I was hoping asuras wrath would make the cut.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Not my favorite list, even though Sleeping Dogs did make it in there, but THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

Awesome stuff.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@ThatFrood said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

That data's still available, maybe I'll edit the list to add it to the main post. But you can see it all here.

Yeah, I noticed that. I'm going to start looking through it now.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Animasta

hotline miami trick (WOO WOO)

also good to see sleepy dawgs on there.

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#22  Edited By mcmax3000

Great list, and thanks for putting to together. Really interesting to see what made it, and what didn't.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Turns out someone put Dead or Alive 5 above me. I wonder whom.

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#24  Edited By mcmax3000
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#25  Edited By BeachThunder

:D Hooray.

Thanks for putting this together, really interesting to look at our combined list - Four of my games made it.

Also, we are an elite club, the four of us that put VLR at #1 ^__^

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Animasta

haha crusader kings 2 made it higher than black ops 2

IN YOUR FACE WOODS

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Cubidog1

Where is FTL? That seemed to be on a lot of developers' and journalists' lists. It was amazing, although it was a little too luck based. Only 5 of my favorite games made it on. The 5 games that didn't were Halo 4, Torchlight 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, Fez and FTL. The 5 games that did were XCOM, Borderlands 2, The Walking Dead, Far Cry 3, and Mass Effect 3.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kerned

You motherfuckers forgot FTL.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thatfrood

@Kerned: @Cubidog1: FTL made it to 12th place, just behind Fez at 11th. Interestingly, FTL was on more lists than Fez, but Fez scored more overall as it was ranked higher on average.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By MezZa

I'm pretty happy with this list overall. Good picks duders. 6 of the games I picked ended up being on there. Still need to give Journey and Far Cry 3 a run through, and I might actually get around to trying Dishonored sometime in 2013.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Superkenon

Logic has the day!

Avatar image for pistolpackinpoet
PistolPackinPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By PistolPackinPoet

Looks like i need to play dishonored and mass effect 3. Time to dust off that 360

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#33  Edited By Hailinel

I was the only one to put Warriors Orochi 3 and Hakuoki on a list?

SADNESS.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By benspyda

Its funny noticing some non 2012 games lower on the big list.

The community list is far closer to my list than the GB crews were. Mainly because of Syndicate and ZombiU which ended up no where on the community list. But I guess everyone has their personal obscure favorite this year, Dragon's Dogma was mine.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hippie_genocide

You assholes left out Dust: An Elysian Tale

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Skytylz

Good job guys, that's probably the best list I've seen this year. I'd say ME 3 and Borderlands 2 are a little high, but other than that it's excellent.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TruthTellah

@ThatFrood: Cool! I'd love to see the overall stats, Marino-style. Honorable mentions and all. Though, this is still an interesting result. :)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Animasta

@TruthTellah said:

@ThatFrood: Cool! I'd love to see the overall stats, Marino-style. Honorable mentions and all. Though, this is still an interesting result. :)

the raw stats are in that google doc he posted

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thatfrood

@TruthTellah said:

Overall stats like how? Graphs? I could get around to it. The info dump is here though.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#40  Edited By korolev

Good list. I have every game on this list - although I haven't finished Mark of the Ninja or Dishonored yet.

downtime58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By downtime58

My biggest surprise is that Syndicate didn't make number 7 on the community list...just kidding, I'm actually not surprised at all.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TruthTellah

@Animasta said:

@TruthTellah said:

I was thinking more like graphs or something along those lines(Marino-style), but it sounds like understood what I meant. It's fine if they can't get around to it. I just thought it would be quite interesting as an addition to this final top 10. :)

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TruthTellah

@ThatFrood: Looking at the raw data, it's interesting to me that Fez and FTL got so close to being in that Top 10. Those were both in my top 5, and I'm glad to see they were appreciated by so many people as well!

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#45  Edited By TheMasterDS

Rad. Wish XCOM beat the Walking Dead because I have issues with Walking Dead's shit action sequences but I'm one to talk as XCOM was not on my list but Walking Dead was at 7. Well, at the rate I'm going through XCOM having just got it a week ago maybe it'll be my 2013's 2012 Game of 2013. The game I feel most sorry for is Syndicate. Hey people, you really should've played Syndicate!

I like that it's published because it means I get to rename my Best Of 2012 list to be what I want it to be named. GOTY 2012 is a poor name for a list!

aznan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By aznan

Great job compiling these lists! It's always interesting to see what the community thinks. Also, happy new year :)

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By thatfrood

@TruthTellah said:

@Animasta said:

@TruthTellah said:

I was thinking more like graphs or something along those lines(Marino-style), but it sounds like understood what I meant. It's fine if they can't get around to it. I just thought it would be quite interesting as an addition to this final top 10. :)

Graphs have been added to the google spreadsheet. May add more later. Just click to a different sheet on the google doc. You'll find them at the bottom.

@TheMasterDS: Yeah, I'm aware that GOTY 2012 isn't the best title, but I need something that is hard to screw up. The more complicated I make instructions, the worse things get.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Yummylee

@Hailinel said:

I was the only one to put Warriors Orochi 3 and Hakuoki on a list?

SADNESS.

I placed Warriors Orochi 3 as my #10. My list must have evidently been omitted for some reason.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By thatfrood

@Yummylee: Did you submit your username to the google doc? I do not see it there.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Yummylee

@ThatFrood: Ermmmm... no. Though, iirc, when you set this up last year you only had to make a list titled ''GOTY 2011'' and then it would just magically be gathered into the ether. At least I think so. I can definitely remember my picks making it on the overall list because I was the only one to place Lego Star Wars III on there.

Doesn't matter anywhoo. I don't think my picks would have budged the overall placements across the list :P