Top Ten Games of 2011 That Didn't Actually Come Out In 2011

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No0b0rAmA

While people are fawning over Battlefield 3, Saints Row: The Third and Deus Ex for their 2011 top tens, the majority of games I played this year seems to be stuff released in the past. So because I haven't played enough new shit to build a 2011 top ten of my own ( I don't want to be left out in the cold), I'm going to go ahead and talk about my personal top 10 that I played a lot of and/or enjoyed in 2011. Also feel free to post your own "Top ten games of 2011 that didn't actually come out in 2011 that you played this year" lists.

Also bear with me, as every single game on this list is a PC game. In fact some of these aren't even full releases.

1. Europa Universalis 3

No Caption Provided

Yes, I agree, what the fuck. I picked up this game on Steam back in July and I've been hooked on it ever since. For those who don't know (everyone?), EU3 is a "grand strategy" game by Paradox Interactive. You can choose any nation that existed between 1399 and 1821 and play. It's basically like a hardcore version of Civilization. Although I'm trash at strategy games, it was enjoyable learning the mechanics of the game. Something about having my nation go bankrupt and plunged into a civil war is surprisingly fun. I found this game extremely appealing and I still haven't figured out what the appeal is. That said, I've easily put over 150 hours into this amazing game. For strategy fans looking for a bit more variety or challenge it's definitely worth checking out.

Also if you enjoy cheating, this game is heaven.

2. ARMA 2/ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead

No Caption Provided

I really like military simulators. In fact, I can say I thoroughly enjoyed Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising even though every human being in the world hated it (not that OF:DR was a legitimate military sim in anyway). Arma 2 is amazing. I love it in every way except how it runs on my shitty PC. Sure it runs like shit, but I love it. In fact, I haven't even touched the multiplayer and I have 60 hours in it. How? It has a mission editor. This is the only game I can just place a car in the middle of the desert, and just drive around the map for 5 hours, since it has a module that dynamically generates combat around my character. How fucking awesome is that? This is a pretty terrible description of what I think the game is: A giant military simulation sandbox. If that makes you a bit curious about the game, do check out the Arma 2 OA demo or the Arma 2 free, which is a gimped version of the full game where you can play vanilla multiplayer and other semi cool things that's not the editor.

3.Guild Wars

No Caption Provided

Fuck this game. No really, fuck this game. I feel like I have an obligation to play this game so I can fill up my Hall of Monuments (the thing that gets you pointless titles and minipets for Guild Wars 2). It goes on this list in sheer hours of playtime. If anyone wants to vanquish or do silly titles that waste swaths of time with me, add me up as Horsemeat Pastries.

4. Resistance and Liberation: Open Beta 1.6

No Caption Provided

This isn't even a game. It's a mod for Half Life 2. RnL 1.6 as I will call it is a World War 2 full conversion modification for Half Life 2. The closest game I can compare this to would be Red Orchestra 2, except it's Americans VS Germans. The reason I got this game was because I didn't have Red Orchestra 2 and I wanted to feel better about myself, and you know what? I did. It's a fantastic mod, great enough to be a retail product, and really shows how amazing the mod community is. This video more or less sums up what the gameplay is like:

5. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

No Caption Provided

This game was a big disappointment for me when I got it. It didn't have a bot skirmish mode, singleplayer was awful, it lacked bot support, no mod support, no bots and the multiplayer ran like shit (probably my fault but whatever). However earlier this year, AhmadMetallic got a Bad Company 2 community together and set up bombing runs almost every week. It was fucking awesome, I met a lot of people and had fun. That's the reason this game makes it into my top 10 of 2011 that didn't actually come out in 2011.

6. Fallout: New Vegas

No Caption Provided

MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS.

Thank you again AhmadMetallic.

7. World in Conflict: Soviet Assault

No Caption Provided

I find it disappointing that not a lot of games are set in the Cold War period, so I play World in Conflict. I've had this game for 3 or so years now, but somehow I still actively play it. This year, instead of the vanilla game, I've been playing a mod called "Modern Warfare". Yeah, it sort of defeats the purpose of me enjoying the setting of the game. However, the mod itself is amazing. Contrary to it's title, it's a well researched and well made mod that pits the modern day American and Russian militaries against each other. The game itself distances itself from most RTS games and is very action oriented. I also recommend strategy fans check this game out if they haven't already.

8.Company of Heroes: The Eastern Front

No Caption Provided

I thought it was an actual expansion pack for Company of Heroes. Words cannot describe how well they did this mod. From the character models to the top notch voice acting, Company of Heroes: The Eastern Front really shows how fucking insane (in a positive way) the modding community is. The mod adds the Soviet Union as a playable faction in Relic's critically acclaimed Company of Heroes, and holy shit do they do it well. If you have Company of Heroes, get this mod right now, if not, get Company of Heroes and play this mod.

9. Suicide Survival

It's a HL2 mod where you play as either a WW2 Airman or exploding shrubbery, and it looks like this:

Link

10. Counter Strike: Source

No Caption Provided

I enjoy playing Counter Strike Source all the time.

Oh hey look! A Giant Bomb Counter Strike Group on Steam!

Well there's my list. Goes to show I don't really play that many games considering like half of these were mods. But hey, feel free to post your own 2011 list of games that came out before but you played this year anyways. Be sure to check some of these out!

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By No0b0rAmA

While people are fawning over Battlefield 3, Saints Row: The Third and Deus Ex for their 2011 top tens, the majority of games I played this year seems to be stuff released in the past. So because I haven't played enough new shit to build a 2011 top ten of my own ( I don't want to be left out in the cold), I'm going to go ahead and talk about my personal top 10 that I played a lot of and/or enjoyed in 2011. Also feel free to post your own "Top ten games of 2011 that didn't actually come out in 2011 that you played this year" lists.

Also bear with me, as every single game on this list is a PC game. In fact some of these aren't even full releases.

1. Europa Universalis 3

No Caption Provided

Yes, I agree, what the fuck. I picked up this game on Steam back in July and I've been hooked on it ever since. For those who don't know (everyone?), EU3 is a "grand strategy" game by Paradox Interactive. You can choose any nation that existed between 1399 and 1821 and play. It's basically like a hardcore version of Civilization. Although I'm trash at strategy games, it was enjoyable learning the mechanics of the game. Something about having my nation go bankrupt and plunged into a civil war is surprisingly fun. I found this game extremely appealing and I still haven't figured out what the appeal is. That said, I've easily put over 150 hours into this amazing game. For strategy fans looking for a bit more variety or challenge it's definitely worth checking out.

Also if you enjoy cheating, this game is heaven.

2. ARMA 2/ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead

No Caption Provided

I really like military simulators. In fact, I can say I thoroughly enjoyed Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising even though every human being in the world hated it (not that OF:DR was a legitimate military sim in anyway). Arma 2 is amazing. I love it in every way except how it runs on my shitty PC. Sure it runs like shit, but I love it. In fact, I haven't even touched the multiplayer and I have 60 hours in it. How? It has a mission editor. This is the only game I can just place a car in the middle of the desert, and just drive around the map for 5 hours, since it has a module that dynamically generates combat around my character. How fucking awesome is that? This is a pretty terrible description of what I think the game is: A giant military simulation sandbox. If that makes you a bit curious about the game, do check out the Arma 2 OA demo or the Arma 2 free, which is a gimped version of the full game where you can play vanilla multiplayer and other semi cool things that's not the editor.

3.Guild Wars

No Caption Provided

Fuck this game. No really, fuck this game. I feel like I have an obligation to play this game so I can fill up my Hall of Monuments (the thing that gets you pointless titles and minipets for Guild Wars 2). It goes on this list in sheer hours of playtime. If anyone wants to vanquish or do silly titles that waste swaths of time with me, add me up as Horsemeat Pastries.

4. Resistance and Liberation: Open Beta 1.6

No Caption Provided

This isn't even a game. It's a mod for Half Life 2. RnL 1.6 as I will call it is a World War 2 full conversion modification for Half Life 2. The closest game I can compare this to would be Red Orchestra 2, except it's Americans VS Germans. The reason I got this game was because I didn't have Red Orchestra 2 and I wanted to feel better about myself, and you know what? I did. It's a fantastic mod, great enough to be a retail product, and really shows how amazing the mod community is. This video more or less sums up what the gameplay is like:

5. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

No Caption Provided

This game was a big disappointment for me when I got it. It didn't have a bot skirmish mode, singleplayer was awful, it lacked bot support, no mod support, no bots and the multiplayer ran like shit (probably my fault but whatever). However earlier this year, AhmadMetallic got a Bad Company 2 community together and set up bombing runs almost every week. It was fucking awesome, I met a lot of people and had fun. That's the reason this game makes it into my top 10 of 2011 that didn't actually come out in 2011.

6. Fallout: New Vegas

No Caption Provided

MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS.

Thank you again AhmadMetallic.

7. World in Conflict: Soviet Assault

No Caption Provided

I find it disappointing that not a lot of games are set in the Cold War period, so I play World in Conflict. I've had this game for 3 or so years now, but somehow I still actively play it. This year, instead of the vanilla game, I've been playing a mod called "Modern Warfare". Yeah, it sort of defeats the purpose of me enjoying the setting of the game. However, the mod itself is amazing. Contrary to it's title, it's a well researched and well made mod that pits the modern day American and Russian militaries against each other. The game itself distances itself from most RTS games and is very action oriented. I also recommend strategy fans check this game out if they haven't already.

8.Company of Heroes: The Eastern Front

No Caption Provided

I thought it was an actual expansion pack for Company of Heroes. Words cannot describe how well they did this mod. From the character models to the top notch voice acting, Company of Heroes: The Eastern Front really shows how fucking insane (in a positive way) the modding community is. The mod adds the Soviet Union as a playable faction in Relic's critically acclaimed Company of Heroes, and holy shit do they do it well. If you have Company of Heroes, get this mod right now, if not, get Company of Heroes and play this mod.

9. Suicide Survival

It's a HL2 mod where you play as either a WW2 Airman or exploding shrubbery, and it looks like this:

Link

10. Counter Strike: Source

No Caption Provided

I enjoy playing Counter Strike Source all the time.

Oh hey look! A Giant Bomb Counter Strike Group on Steam!

Well there's my list. Goes to show I don't really play that many games considering like half of these were mods. But hey, feel free to post your own 2011 list of games that came out before but you played this year anyways. Be sure to check some of these out!

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Rudyftw

I really hated Battlefield 2 too. I don't know why it gets the praise it gets. It's not like it's the first FPS to introduce helicopters.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By No0b0rAmA

@Rudyftw said:

I really hated Battlefield 2 too.

Do you mean Bad Company?

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rudyftw

@No0b0rAmA: Same thing, no?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Rudyftw:

No, they're different things. Also, I liked Bad Company 2's single player. Is that so bad?

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rudyftw

@Video_Game_King said:

@Rudyftw:

No, they're different things. Also, I liked Bad Company 2's single player. Is that so bad?

yes. get out

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hitchenson

@Rudyftw said:

Oh you.

Stalker: SoC and CoP would be some of my non 2011 best games this year. Only got around to playing through them during the Summer. Both are fucking amazing. Not Clear Sky though, never Clear Sky. Hope things go well for GSC and they're able finish development on Stalker 2 and make loads of dosh to continue making Stalker titles with.

Eastern Front is the bomb, it's done so well, it could be sold as an official expansion for CoH. I'm going to play some EF now, get my sniper team on.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@Video_Game_King

@Rudyftw:

I prefer a super serious singleplayer campagin. I didn't really like the characters for some reasons, but thats probably just me.
Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rudyftw

@Video_Game_King said:

@Rudyftw:

Nah. I'll just stay here, with this battle music playing.

Battle music? This sounds like music that would play during a rape scene with clowns.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@Hitchenson

@Rudyftw said:

Oh you.

Stalker: SoC and CoP would be some of my non 2011 best games this year. Only got around to playing them during the Summer. Both are fucking amazing. Not Clear Sky though, never Clear Sky. Hope things go well for GSC and they're able finish development on Stalker 2 and make loads of dosh to continue making Stalker titles with.

Clear Sky happens to be my favourite in the series. People really hate it, but it was the game that got me into the franchise because I really enjoyed it. Again, it has some sort of appeal I cant figure out. Have you tried the Stalker Complete mods?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rudyftw
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Rudyftw:

I can promise you that it's not Persona 4 hentai. I'm not even sure if the Internet's made that, yet.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic

That's a lot of not-new games.. Old game overload! I gotta say though, I really admire your dedication and persistence with these games that you're always playing on my Steam friends list, you're kinda crazy there, but it's commendable! 
I'll read your thoughts on those title and come back with some comments! 

P.S. I really enjoyed the BC2 bombing runs too, it was amazing.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rudyftw

@Video_Game_King: That Pokemon battle was intense!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Rudyftw:

The best part was when the Dark Magician kicked the crap out of the Winged Dragon of Ra.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rudyftw

@Video_Game_King: The best part was the digital monster champion tits I saw at the 20 second mark. Ash has been accessorizing a little too much.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#19  Edited By ArbitraryWater
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@ArbitraryWater I see through your lies. You went back in time didnt you?
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hitchenson

@No0b0rAmA: Yeah, I've played through SoC and CoP with complete, sure are some great mods, Complete 2012 for SoC is going to be so good. I might try Clear Sky again with it at some point.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#22  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@No0b0rAmA said:

@ArbitraryWater I see through your lies. You went back in time didnt you?

That's right. After seeing this blog, I went back in time and wrote mine 12 days ago! I AM THE UNDISPUTED OLD GAME PERSONAGE ON THIS WEBFORUM

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@Hitchenson

@No0b0rAmA: Yeah, I've played through SoC and CoP with complete, sure are some great mods, Complete 2012 for SoC is going to be so good. I might try Clear Sky again with it at some point.

You should give Clear Sky complete a chance. Fixes the game breaking bugs.
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By AlexW00d

I like thus blog list thing. You playing EU3 all the time is why I bought it myself. Admittedly I still don't know what the fuck you're meant yo do.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Vexxan

Suicide Survival seems fucked up yet very enjoyable.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By No0b0rAmA

@AlexW00d:The answer is playing more I guess?

@Vexxan: It's awesome, but not a lot of people play it.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By AlexW00d

@No0b0rAmA: I am going to play more tomorrow as I have the day off work and can let it fully engross me.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#28  Edited By Brackynews
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By No0b0rAmA

@Brackynews said:

@No0b0rAmA: Mods?

Holy shit that is amazing.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#30  Edited By Brackynews

@No0b0rAmA: Lol, I continue to be surprised when people say either "holy shit" or "amazing". :) Thanks, enjoy.