Geoff Keighley Rips on Interviewer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for lapsariangiraff
lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By lapsariangiraff

I don't know if anyone on this website knows about this particular guy, but there's a game reviewer called Angry Joe, who came to the Spike VGAs with user questions, promised with a serious sit-down 15 minute interview with Geoff Keighley. What actually happens at the VGAs is completely different.  
 Link for video:  http://angryjoeshow.com/2010/12/geoff-keighley-interview/#more-8810 

Not good at all. What do you guys think about Geoff after you watched the video? I just want to spread this video around so more people can see Geoff when he's NOT with his favorite publications and analysts. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

Eh, I think Angry Joe is too full of himself.  Keighley might be a jerk too, but Angry Joe definitely expected too much.  I don't really care for Angry Joe, he's just another of those gaming media people who are more concerned with being popular than providing a quality commentary or service to his watchers.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dany

Umm, im trying to get through that dude yammering, i assume angry joe? and getting kinda annoyed at him. Let the video stand on its own, cutting it with his own commentary and reaction is not helping him because he comes off as an asshole before we even see the video of the claims. 

just got done 

Ok, im skipping aorund and trying to find a part where geoff is in it, and he is coming off ans a degrunted asshole who feels he doesn't care nor give a shit

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By benpack

Yeah man both of them seem kinda like jerks.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Crono11

I think the same of Geoff as I did before watching. I had never heard of Angry Joe before this thread and I don't really want to read of watch anything by him again. 

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Akrid

Angry Joe completely ambushed him with his first question and showed him no respect in the way it was posed.  Keighley has some pride, of course he's going to respond in kind. And then shit just escalates, with backhanded comments flying left and right, regardless of the fairly relevant and respectful questions that follow.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheFreeMan

What we've got here is a failure to communicate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Whoever this Angry Joe guy is seems like a real jerk. 

He's currently harping on Geoff for not knowing that FFXIV came out this year. BUT ANGRY JOE JUST TOLD GEOFF THAT IT DIDN'T COME OUT THIS YEAR. Wut.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By audiosnag

I dunno if Joe really was promised an interview, being left like that till last minute is shitty.
But Geoff clearly knew about Joe and what he was about and probably wanted to get back at him a bit. And starting off the interview calling the show a joke probably didn't help.
The whole MMO thing seemed a little silly. FF14 by all accounts sucked so why should it be nominated?
Lack of professionalism on both sides. VGA's suck anyway so meh.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By FinalDasa

I watched 5 minutes and that is plenty for me. 

I understand that Joe has concerns about the way the VGAs represent video games as a whole but attacking Geoff is not the way to solve that problem. 
He prefaces his video with a rant about how he had an email convo with someone which somehow grants him access to a 15 minute sit down interview. 
That makes me wonder if someone actually said that to him or if he just assumed thats what he deserved.   
Then the video says "full video" so what happens 1 minute into the video? An interruption made to make Geoff look bad. 

Angry Joe is a youtuber with a website. Geoff Keighly is a businessman putting video games on TV and getting them exposure to different people and making them seem more and more comparable to movies and music.

lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lapsariangiraff
@FinalDasa: Did you see the actual interview? I don't care about your opinion, but I care that it came from an informed position. 
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Akeldama

Angry Joe is fucking stupid. End.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At some points, Joe really looks as if he's about to cry. 

This is all the "Angry Joe" I can handle for the rest of my life. I never want to see anything he does ever again.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By buzz_clik

I normally never do this, but I had to bring the TL;DW stamp down on that. I didn't even get through the first question, because I was exhausted and irritated by the preamble.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By FinalDasa
@theoracleofgame: Most of it and I have always thought that Keighly was a bit of a jerk. Doesn't mean Angry Joe is allowed to be a jerk back to him. 

I just think Angry Joe could go about his concerns a different way. We all have those concerns but everyone isn't ranting and making videos. Just don't watch the VGAs.
Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

Angry Joe is an idiot who tries(and fails) to use dissent and negativity to draw attention to himself.  Geoff is an arrogant twat.  This video is nothing more than creamy shit and lumpy shit trying to carry on a half-assed conversation.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#17  Edited By tearhead

Just seems like a situation where two people were forced to talk in an environment they didn't want to be in. Joe wanted a more formal interview and Geoff didn't want to use his time talking to Joe when he has the show to run. They both kind of came off as dicks, but that was inevitable given the situation. Also, Joe is pissing me off more, however, because he just made a video bitching about another person but not really talking about anything (I didn't watch the whole video, so maybe after I stopped watching Joe began to discuss something relevant, I will never know).

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#18  Edited By Mystyr_E

I get the feeling Joe was picked last in a lot of gym classes as a kid

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By DystopiaX

Joe is an asshole, Geoff didn't conduct himself well in this interview but he was clearly provoked. Angry Joe just sounds annoying as hell, no idea how he has a following.

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HubrisRanger

This douche (Angry Joe) is from Austin? 

I feel deeply ashamed and partially responsible.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Geoff's a good host, which is all I care about in his case.

Angry Joe needs to go outside and see the sun some more outside of videogame events, guy needs to take a load off.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By ch13696

Damn, what is that song that plays at the end of the show? It sounds so bad ass.

Tonic7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tonic7

Yikes. I think most people understand the major, major problems that the VGAs have but man...that "Angry Joe" guy came off as a straight amateur. Jesus man, when you look like you're on the verge of tears for the entire interview and ask him some ridiculous questions (best MMO category? really?), of course he's going to come off a bit standoffish. Yes Mr. Angry Joe, he may not have given you a proper interview, and yes, he was certainly a bit too dismissive early in the interview, but it is right before his massive show is about to take place - he's probably nervous as all hell. 

I've never heard of Angry Joe before in my lifetime, does he have a lot of followers? Because I'm surprised Geoff gave him any time at all. 

Also let the record show that I do not wish to defend Geoff as I'm largely unfamiliar with his work. And I didn't watch the VGAs.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24  Edited By wefwefasdf

Geoff was fine. Angry Joe was acting like a douche.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

ANGRY JOE IS ANGRY. 

Didn't watch the video and won't.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By big_jon

Wow thae fact that this moron is ripping on getting owned by the face of the VGA's is pretty funny.
Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vonocourt

I always hated Angry Joe and his reviews that lacked any real substance...and yeah, his screaming at the top of his lungs about being professional at the start of the video doesn't do much to endear him.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WickedFather

Did anyone read the thread title as "Kiera Knightley Strips Off In The Shower"? or have I had too much homebrew?

KyleBaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KyleBaron

Ugh, I feel terrible for having applied to one of the sites that Angry Joe works at (Blistered Thumbs). 

I just graduated from Journalism and I don't think it takes a diploma and an interviewing skills class to know that "I have a bone to pick" is a shite way to start an interview. 
Also not a good way to start an interview: 
-Having an axe to grind. See: Malicious intent 
-Interrupting your subject 
-Demeaning your subject 
-Seeming unprepared, regardless of the circumstances 
-Not doing enough research. Ex: Mountain Dew not having its own award category 

I respect Geoff, and I feel that [Angry] Joe had some - albeit improperly voiced - concerns.  I'd like to think that a good reporter improvises and keeps the readers' right-to-know in mind. The bit at the beginning of the video where he whined about what he was promised etc. might give a bit of context, but it colours the interview in a way that removes the focus from the more valuable idea of 'what Geoff has to say about the VGAs in light of doubtful [non-]viewers.' 

What a waste.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Brendan

Angry Joe made a terrible impression to a guy that could not care less.  He was flippant because he wanted it to end.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By keyhunter

Hahahaha angry joe. I'd probably get pretty hostile if he tried talking to me too.

lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lapsariangiraff

I guess Angry Joe is misrepresented by his name here, and the fact that his video is bitchy.  

The fact remains, though, that Joe (who to his credit, tried to remain calm) got the short end of the stick from a complete douche. 

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By indiana_jenkins

Angry Joe just made the argument that "Best Soundtrack" and "Best OST" are basically the same as "Best Rhythm Game." 

While he does have a reason to be mad at horrible interview conditions I don't see how this makes Geoff Keighley a jerk.   
You don't push someone and expect to not be pushed back.  

Joe should have been more prepared because Geoff sure was.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By crusader8463

Keighly always struck me as a huge douche bag since back in the days when he was on Electric Playground with Victor Lucas, but whoever that Joe guy is seems like a hell of a douche from my first impressions of him in that video. From the bit of the video I watched it looked like Kelighly was in a rush to go start the show, so he stopped by to do a quick interview. If they really promised the Joe guy a real interview then they should have done it after the show.

Not defending Keilghy, as I hate the guy and how he constantly goes out of his way to shit on the PC when ever he can, but it was probably just a miss match of messages along the line. Some one said one thing to one person and another to another guy etc etc. If keilghly was smart though and really believed in what he is selling he would agree to sit down and do a real interview and just explain how the situation really went down.

It might not seem like much now, but if this happens enough times then he will start to get a bad reputation. Better to placate now while it's small, and come out looking like the good guy who went out of his way to right a wrong out of the goodness of his heart. It will never happen, but that would be the right thing to do.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I still don't know who these people are, and I don't care to find out. 

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Three0neFive

this douche should be cutting the chain link fences outside of home depot and smoking skunk, not making shitty videos on my internet

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By LiquidPrince

Actually I saw nothing wrong with Geoff's reaction. At first he was pretty all right, explaining why the show could work for gamers as well as the wider audience, but the dude just cut in before he was finished and said all that yang about the best independent game fueled by Dew. It's not that what he was saying wasn't a valid criticism, it's just he was way more of a dick. Obviously Geoff was going to be annoyed.

lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lapsariangiraff

I guess Angry Joe is misrepresented by his name and his bitchy video, and his less than reputable early videos.  

The fact remains, though, despite how you may feel about Angry Joe, that he was clearly shoved to the sidelines by a total douche. 

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Brendan
@theoracleofgame said:
"I guess Angry Joe is misrepresented by his name here, and the fact that his video is bitchy.   The fact remains, though, that Joe (who to his credit, tried to remain calm) got the short end of the stick from a complete douche.  "

Aren't you the guy who just posted on Angry Joe's site that Giantbomb was "flaming" you?  Noone here personally flamed you, we watched the video and gave you our opinion on what we saw.  What else do you want?  For people to agree with you?
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jeffsekai

I've known Joe was a douche for a long time

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Animasta
@theoracleofgame said:
" I guess Angry Joe is misrepresented by his name here, and the fact that his video is bitchy.   The fact remains, though, that Joe (who to his credit, tried to remain calm) got the short end of the stick from a complete douche.  "
I also noticed that you referenced the fact in the comments for the video that giant bomb doesn't agree with this video.

and I honestly wouldn't take anyone who has the name "angry" anything seriously. If dudes wants to be a serious reviewer (or interviewer, for that matter) that's fine, but act like it.
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Doctorchimp
@theoracleofgame: I think Angry Joe is a complete moron and geoff is trying his best not to punch some troll with a camera... 

So far so good, I'm at the part where Angry Joe is grilling Geoff for the "Best MMO" category...like really? Joe thinks FF XIV deserved a shout out? That's moronic, I think he missed the point Geoff was trying to make...MMOs are usually a joke and the majority doesn't care if a mediocre new one came out...

I also love his most recent reviews listing on the side for Dance Central, Sonic Free Riders, and Kinect Sports....truly a game journalist. Not to mention he claims that he'll only comment at the end of the interview footage, but instead he stops it every 10 seconds to nitpick every little thing Geoff says... 

What a fucking shame the VGAs didn't feel like answering some questions about how much they suck...
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#43  Edited By Yummylee

I appreciate what Joe is trying to do with all this, but jesus was it poorly executed. I don't think Geoff was all that much of an ass in the interview either; he showed alot of constraint and most of the offence Joe got was simply down to him being abit of a whiny twit.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FireBurger

Angry Joe seems like an arrogant, antagonistic douche bag. He tries to defend his own not knowing that FFXIV came out this year by blaming it on Geoff. It's alright to ask tough questions, but the poor interview is largely his fault since he seemed so unprepared. If he couldn't field just a few good questions, what the hell was he going to do with 15 minutes? 

Should Geoff have been more professional, whether he liked the questions or not? Yes. Should Angry Joe (really?) be a little more diplomatic and well-prepared? Yes.

lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By lapsariangiraff
@Brendan: I'm sorry if that's how that comment came off to you. I'm simply reacting to how people, rather than discussing the interview like I asked, simply said "Angry Joe sucks", which is fine, I don't care about opinions here. But I just can't get any valuable information from that kind of statement. Later comments have been better, though.
Raulito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Raulito
@Keenblaze said:
" At some points, Joe really looks as if he's about to cry.  This is all the "Angry Joe" I can handle for the rest of my life. I never want to see anything he does ever again. "
Can we start calling him "Sad Joe" for now on?
jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jim_dandy

Yeah, I'd probably be a douche too if it was immediately pointed out how much I sold out.

"I was young and I needed the money." - Geoff Keighley on Mountain Dew.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By emem

He should call himself "Annoying Joe".. guys like him who try to pressure answers out of people are idiots. I honestly hope he doesn't get more famous than he already is, there are enough people out there who don't deserve any of the attention they get. 

I don't know what kind of person Mr. Keighley is, but at least he is trying to stay rational without raising his voice and becoming offensive.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tearhead said:
" Just seems like a situation where two people were forced to talk in an environment they didn't want to be in. Joe wanted a more formal interview and Geoff didn't want to use his time talking to Joe when he has the show to run. They both kind of came off as dicks, but that was inevitable given the situation. Also, Joe is pissing me off more, however, because he just made a video bitching about another person but not really talking about anything (I didn't watch the whole video, so maybe after I stopped watching Joe began to discuss something relevant, I will never know). "
Well, the reason Joe made this video is that he really, REALLY hates the VGA's and this gave him more of a reason to hate them.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Brendan
@theoracleofgame said:
I just want to spread this video around so more people can see Geoff when he's NOT with his favorite publications and analysts.  "

I can appreciate the fact that you're trying really hard to be some sort of an ambassador for your site, and have probably signed up for multiple websites to post copies of this thread in a bunch of places, but this last line clearly shows that you came in biased, you're looking for biased responses and have probably already accomplished your mission by getting people to visit the site.  Whenever your done, feel free to exit stage left.