#1 Posted by Brenderous (1103 posts) -

The panel just said "Storytime with Peter Molyneux" and I said to my friend "it's probably just going to be him talking his bullshit iOS game."

Not only was I complexity wrong about Godus being an iOS game, it ended up being the most impressive thing I saw at PAX.

You can get it on Steam Early Access right now.

#2 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2403 posts) -

Are you Peter Molyneux? You have to tell us if you are.

#3 Posted by Brenderous (1103 posts) -

@oscar__explosion: imagine if it ended up being true that YOU were Peter Molyneux! These are the kind of ideas we can expect to see from 22cans.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

The rule of thumb when looking forward to a Molyneux game is to keep your expectations in check and never allow the hype to carry you. You will be disappointed otherwise.

#5 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2403 posts) -

@oscar__explosion: imagine if it ended up being true that YOU were Peter Molyneux! These are the kind of ideas we can expect to see from 22cans.

GASP.

#7 Edited by ShaggE (6699 posts) -

We're ALL Peter Molyneux, don't you see? THAT is the 22nd can.

#8 Posted by Kidavenger (3628 posts) -

I bought it.

#9 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3986 posts) -

I didn't know it was early access already.... hesitant to do that, but I love me some Pete Molyneux games. Big fan of him. Glad it looked good though either way.

Top seller on Steam right now too.

#10 Posted by L1GHTN1N (543 posts) -

I backed it during the Kickstarter, and got my beta/early access code for it earlier today. After an hour of playing it, it seems... well... interesting? I was expecting a little more game to it then what there seems to be, but I'm still pretty early (and it's a early beta) so we'll see.

#11 Posted by Sergio (2249 posts) -

It wasn't the best game I saw at PAX, but I did think it looked great. I'll be picking it up.

#12 Edited by ModernAlkemie (366 posts) -

I generally dislike buying early access games. However, I did enjoy what I saw on the Steam page, and I'll keep an eager eye on the game as it develops.

#13 Posted by davegoestomayor (17 posts) -

Peter got us again :'( ....this game is a grindy ass click fest.....literally you will click your mass probably 6000-10000. In lieu of game play they have you click on the same shit over and over and over and over again to get your god power to progress. This thing was clearly made with F2P and Tablets in mind, so far I'm a disappointed backer.

#14 Edited by davegoestomayor (17 posts) -

Peter got us again :'( ....this game is a grindy ass click fest.....literally you will click your mouse probably 6000-10000 in the 1st hour alone. In lieu of game play they have you click on the same shit over and over and over and over again to get your god power to progress. This thing was clearly made with F2P and Tablets in mind, so far I'm a disappointed backer.

#15 Posted by Brenderous (1103 posts) -

I played it for like 3+ hours last night. It's *pretty* good.

*collects cheque*

(that's how Peter and I spell it)

#16 Posted by Cakeface (12 posts) -

Looks great, will give it a try

#17 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Keep in mind its only 40% done.

Peter got us again :'( ....this game is a grindy ass click fest.....literally you will click your mass probably 6000-10000. In lieu of game play they have you click on the same shit over and over and over and over again to get your god power to progress. This thing was clearly made with F2P and Tablets in mind, so far I'm a disappointed backer.

PC version will NOT have micro transactions.

#18 Posted by Rowr (5824 posts) -
#19 Posted by Ares42 (2796 posts) -

I don't wanna throw superlatives around, but after having played through what's in the early access so far I could easily see this game being the game that out-minecrafts minecraft. Unfortunately it cuts off just before things gets really interesting though, so there's still a great chance of getting molyneux'ed again. Still I had the same exact experience I had the first time I played minecraft, went in knowing little about the game or what to do and hours later I was left wondering what just happened. I even forgot about the midnight launch of GTA 5.

The game is by no means a god game though (as it implies), it's much more inspired by (as mentioned) minecraft as a sandbox for creativity. It follows many of the same ideas, like not having any specific goal and encouraging exploration and experimentation. If you're expecting the more traditional RTS-style gameplay it's not that kinda game, although the "multiplayer" that's in so far implies they might want to take it that way.

There's still a ton of work left to be done on the game, but there is a brilliance to the core idea here. The only question now is if Molyneux will stand in it's way or not. (also, the supposed 40% completion-rate seems quite generous.)

#20 Edited by Khann (2913 posts) -

@ares42 said:

I don't wanna throw superlatives around, but after having played through what's in the early access so far I could easily see this game being the game that out-minecrafts minecraft. Unfortunately it cuts off just before things gets really interesting though, so there's still a great chance of getting molyneux'ed again. Still I had the same exact experience I had the first time I played minecraft, went in knowing little about the game or what to do and hours later I was left wondering what just happened. I even forgot about the midnight launch of GTA 5.

The game is by no means a god game though (as it implies), it's much more inspired by (as mentioned) minecraft as a sandbox for creativity. It follows many of the same ideas, like not having any specific goal and encouraging exploration and experimentation. If you're expecting the more traditional RTS-style gameplay it's not that kinda game, although the "multiplayer" that's in so far implies they might want to take it that way.

There's still a ton of work left to be done on the game, but there is a brilliance to the core idea here. The only question now is if Molyneux will stand in it's way or not. (also, the supposed 40% completion-rate seems quite generous.)

Wait... what? How on earth is this game in any way like Minecraft? It's not even remotely similar.

edit: Sorry, I sounded like a massive douche there.

#21 Posted by Ares42 (2796 posts) -

@khann: It might not be super obvious, but they're both games about meticulously shaping a world. In minecraft you do it brick by brick, in Godus you do it voxel by voxel. Sure, you can't build castles or silly Mario statues in Godus, but you can move mountains, create canyons etc. They are also both games about exploring a world, finding resources and using them to enhance your tools.

I'm not saying they're the same game, but it's the same kinda experience of getting lost while trying to create something you enjoy.