What happened to the Lost and Damned Quicklook?

• 48 results
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

Giant Bomb did a quick look of the Lost and Damned long, long ago. 4 years later, I finally got around to playing Grand Theft Auto IV, and wanted to see the GB guys play through some of the Lost & Damned, but that video is gone. All i could find was a news post it used to be in and a forum topic where most people had no idea where it went. I'm sure it's lost to all of us now, but I was hoping someone would be able to reveal to me where it disappeared to, did the archive get left in Sausalito somewhere?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By McGhee

Maybe Rockstar or Take 2 wanted it pulled? I know that people on YouTube that did GTA4 playthroughs got DMCA take downs of their videos.

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Iron_Tool

I guess it's damn lost....

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By UnrealDP

No clue here, but the truth needs to be found! Obviously someone needs to raid the Whiskey Media offices, post-haste.

LordJezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LordJezo

I thought beating SOPA was supposed to prevent this?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrKlorox

Yeah, I wanna hear Ryan say "brother" again.

Tag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tag

Going back through the old content recently(out of a job, good time to watch old things) ive noticed multiple quick looks that i have "memory" of but cant find

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

@LordJezo: Companies can still issue a cease and desist order to take down copyrighted materials.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HaltIamReptar

Retconning yo' reality

LordJezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LordJezo

@DrDarkStryfe said:

@LordJezo: Companies can still issue a cease and desist order to take down copyrighted materials.

Doesn't fall under fair use for review style purposes or anything?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TruthTellah

@LordJezo said:

@DrDarkStryfe said:

They might be able to have legal standing on it, but it may not be worth the time or money to challenge the cease and desist. Though, I'm guessing there is some other reason for its disappearance.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ajamafalous

It was taken down shortly after it went up IIRC. They've explained why several times but I honestly can't remember.

WaylonJennings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By WaylonJennings
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mikemcn
@TruthTellah

@LordJezo said:

@DrDarkStryfe said:

They might be able to have legal standing on it, but it may not be worth the time or money to challenge the cease and desist. Though, I'm guessing there is some other reason for its disappearance.

That's super weird.
TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TruthTellah

@Mikemcn said:

@TruthTellah

@LordJezo said:

@DrDarkStryfe said:

That's super weird.

Well, that's just sort of how it is. A company can request something be taken down, then they can file a formal cease and desist, and then they can take you to court if you don't back down. Of course, it could just be thrown out, but is one video really worth fighting them and possibly making an enemy of a big publisher? Anyway, I don't think that's necessarily the case here. I get the impression that something else happened which led to the video's removal.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TruthTellah

@Mikemcn: Okay. Looking for whatever info I could, this may in fact be an issue of Rockstar just asking them to take it down due to the fact that it showed cutscenes from the game. Apparently, they were big sticklers on anyone posting cutscenes from the game; so, I'm guessing they requested that it be taken down and Giant Bomb kindly followed their request and took down the whole Quick Look instead of chopping all of the cutscenes out and posting just the gameplay.

I would be curious to hear an official staff comment on this though. :)

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mikemcn

@TruthTellah said:

@Mikemcn: Okay. Looking for whatever info I could, this may in fact be an issue of Rockstar just asking them to take it down due to the fact that it showed cutscenes from the game. Apparently, they were big sticklers on anyone posting cutscenes from the game; so, I'm guessing they requested that it be taken down and Giant Bomb kindly followed their request and took down the whole Quick Look instead of chopping all of the cutscenes out and posting just the gameplay.

I would be curious to hear an official staff comment on this though. :)

I'd love to hear from one of the staff too, I like to think there's a hard drive that fell behind a cabinet somewhere before they could back it up, but I doubt that's the case. I hope it's not Rockstar being fussy.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By ShaggE

There was never a TLAD QL.

This is nothing but a case of mass delusion. You wanted to believe in a TLAD QL so badly that you created one in your minds, then claimed it was "removed" upon looking through the archives.

This is just like how everybody believes that there's a "Vinny". For the last time, folks, It's always just been Jeff, Brad, Ryan, and Earl, until Earl died during the Half Life 3 QL and was replaced with Patrick.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Meltac

WELL I'LL BE DAMNED, I GUESS IT'S LOST

EpicBenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 46

#20  Edited By EpicBenjamin
@Meltac

SOUNDS LIKE ANOTHER CASE OF GRAND THEFT AUTO.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mikemcn

@EpicBenjamin said:

@Meltac

I was going to make a witty followup comment in response, instead I think i'll just forget any of this ever happened and move on with my life. It's for the best.

@ShaggE said:

There was never a TLAD QL.

This is nothing but a case of mass delusion. You wanted to believe in a TLAD QL so badly that you created one in your minds, then claimed it was "removed" upon looking through the archives.

This is just like how everybody believes that there's a "Vinny". For the last time, folks, It's always just been Jeff, Brad, Ryan, and Earl, until Earl died during the Half Life 3 QL and was replaced with Patrick.

Vinny is as real as it gets, ShaggE the Mad Prophet.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BisonHero

@Tag said:

Going back through the old content recently(out of a job, good time to watch old things) ive noticed multiple quick looks that i have "memory" of but cant find

I've noticed this as well. I'm quite sure I've seen a Quick Look (or Ask Me Anything, or whatever) for Resistance 2, because this is the only site where I watch people commentate over gameplay videos, and I know I've seen that game's multiplayer mode where people have classes and it sort of rips off the medigun from Team Fortress. But it no longer exists on the site.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShaggE

@Mikemcn said:

Vinny is as real as it gets, ShaggE the Mad Prophet.

Oh, but nay. I distinctly remember the day after Earl's unfortunate fate... the Bombcast went up, and suddenly, the remaining staff kept talking to and about a so-called "Vinny", which was clearly just Jeff speaking in falsetto. I thought it was some sort of sick joke at first, but months went by, and this "Vinny" appeared in Quick Looks, Happy Hours, TNTs... again, it was so obviously Jeff in costume doing a voice, with spliced footage when Jeff needed to appear beside "Vinny".

I kept thinking to myself "Okay, this is really weird, but Giant Bomb is all about weirdness, so c'est la vie." But then I noticed that all of the threads about Earl were gone, and everybody kept talking about "Vinny" as though he were real and a part of the site for years. They even kept referring to his GameSpot days. When I did some research, my heart nearly stopped when I saw some old GS videos with Jeff in that same costume, completely replacing Earl. I then looked at the old, pre-HL3 QLs, and again... Earl was replaced by Jeff as "Vinny".

I decided to play along for awhile, thinking that maybe Earl's wife put out some bizarre request to have all of his content taken down, and the community went along with it in an unprecedented show of compassion. Of course GB wouldn't want to scrap all of that content, so maybe they did this "Vinny" thing so that they could keep it all up and still appease Earl's wife.

But again, something was off, and my curiosity was killing me. No online community is that nice, and surely some new member would have asked about Jeff dressing up. So I sent an email to the Bombcast, asking Jeff what the deal was. Ryan read it to Jeff and Brad, as he does, but stopped halfway. A full minute of silence. Then a bang (what I can only assume was one of them flipping a table over) and Ryan screaming "We're FUCKING DONE HERE." while Jeff kept cursing and Brad started sobbing into the mic. No "Vinny" impersonations, just chaos. I don't know why it got uploaded, but it got pulled the next day and replaced with that one with the pizzasphere discussion. Again, no acknowledgement from the community, and any thread I tried to make about it just wouldn't go through. Maybe a word filter, maybe something else... I just don't know. Nor do I know why I'm suddenly able to talk about it or why you were able to post this thread when it would clearly lead to people starting to discuss the "Vinny" conspiracy.

I take back what I said earlier about mass delusion. No, it wasn't delusion. It was hypnosis. The TLAD QL was planted in our minds.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bicycleham

@EpicBenjamin said:

@Meltac

You guys are the fucking worst.

trav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By trav

@EpicBenjamin said:

@Meltac

STORIES LIKE THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN IN A CITY OF LIBERTY!

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Meltac

@Xolare: ..but look at how much fun we're having.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

any bombers have an archived version or explanation of what happened to this lost quick look? I would like to see it if I could.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@gabriel: It showed up again on the beta site in January 2013, so someone might have it. Basically it was a train wreck that wasn't up to the standard of quality for Giant Bomb.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#29  Edited By LordAndrew

Giant Bomb has quality standards?

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

So an aborted quick look eh, still want to see it.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, that "Vinny delusion" post... totally forgot about that dumb thing.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rise from your grave!

Also, they should post the Red Dead Redemption review.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By szlifier

@gabriel: @fattony12000:

It's alive! Fellow duder @duckchow approached me with his archived version of the video. I used the footage from the short version to make the video quality better in some spots. Here it is, the complete video:

Loading Video...

Spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for posting this!

joey2683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't remember when and what video, but I believe it was Jeff that mentioned it was taken down because of content reasons in respect of or at the request of Rockstar/Take 2.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Can see why, Ryan just ended it with maybe 1 minute of actual gameplay, the rest was cutscenes that they barely talked over cause R* cutscenes take your attention that way.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@szlifier: Wowowow. Nothing ever disappears from the internet.

beomoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joey2683 said:

I can't remember when and what video, but I believe it was Jeff that mentioned it was taken down because of content reasons in respect of or at the request of Rockstar/Take 2.

I think it was in response to Dave Lang's question: Has any publisher/developer ever sent a takedown notice? in his interview of Jeff at PAX east 2015 (saw it at gbunarchived's channel).

AndyC80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mentioned it the podcast today, maybe we can bring it back today?

Rothbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never realized it, I've been suffering from the Vinny delusion all this time!

Hardtarget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@jeff any chance this can go back up after the podcast mention this week?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rothbart said:

I never realized it, I've been suffering from the Vinny delusion all this time!

Follow the money! The Vindawg industry profits immensely from our continued belief! I, for one, think Dan masterminded the whole thing all along... who else is so well-trained in the art of kayfabe?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mikemcn

Christ Guys, I wrote this 5 years ago!!! GB was like a baby back then, so was I.

They should put it back up, it would be so edgy. FU DMCA! (after 5 years)