"Bad Sport"/"Dunce Cap" - Do You Like The System?

• 73 results
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Poll "Bad Sport"/"Dunce Cap" - Do You Like The System? (142 votes)

Yes. 42%
No. 25%
Whaa? See results. 32%

After 2-3 weeks of playing, I finally got put in the dunce pool for the first time. Guess all those blown up personal cars and rage quits finally caught up with me. And I fucking hate it. Matchmaking has been shit before, now it's just impossible. I guess as a punishment, it is effective - but really, I was on the verge of quitting before, and this just kinda pushes me over the edge.

It's definitely taking things too far, as far as I'm concerned.

• 
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51  Edited By Seppli

@demoskinos said:

This is GTA Online not Forza people are going to try to check you into the wall. These people are easily enough dealt with. And you can't honestly be surprised by this when you know quitting gives you negative Karma.

Dude. I've driven over 300 races, I've won over 200 of 'em. I've quit 20 races tops. I'm not a frequent ragequitter. Less than 10% in over 300 races? Have you seen the kinds of players that are in these rooms sometimes? From verbal abuse to ganging up on *the high level player*, there are plenty of good reasons to leave a game. It's probably only 5 races I've quit because I've done poorly over the 150+ hours I've played.

From what I see in the Dunce pool, it's mainly high level players in there, who just accumulated enough Bad Sport cred over time to get thrown in there. Eventually, everybody will land in there, if you play enough. Or else you are a flippin' Saint, who takes any abuse with coolness.

Hell - I've been in a room once with a married Australian couple, she was a clumsy loud annoying bitch, and his only goal was it to run interference for her. After racking up 5-6 wins against these skillless idiots, he finally got me bad enough - so I flippin' threw the race and was out of there. More often than not, I leave because of Bad Sports in the race, rather than being a Bad Sport myself.

That said, I just assumed due to my overwhelming amount of Good Sport cred, that it wouldn't matter if I quit every now and then. Hell - I've even gotten Good Sport payouts after quitting at times. What was I supposed to think? Anyways - it's easy enough to avoid the Dunce pool. It's a shitty place to be. I definitely did not deserve to be stuck there for 48 real world hours.

The whole personal car thing is misguided design if I ever saw it. I guess it's to prevent players to destroy each other's rides with miniguns and RPGs in the endgame or something. Nonetheless, it's dumb. Nothing quite like giving a pursuer the slip, then mine a road with a sticky bomb, and blow the bastard up grinning into my rearview mirror as he catches up.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

cant you turn on something that makes people not be able to kill you? just turn that on. otherwise it should be free game to do whatever i want

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@seppli: I solve the problem of people being annoying on the mic by not playing with the sound on. I either stream music on spotify or listen to podcast while playing online games.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@seppli: I solve the problem of people being annoying on the mic by not playing with the sound on. I either stream music on spotify or listen to podcast while playing online games.

Or, you know, you could mute them..

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Seppli

@sharkethic said:

@demoskinos said:

You can't mute players in GTA V. At least if you aren't the host (not even sure if the host can). You only can mute players in Free Roam, and it's a hassle there too.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By SharkEthic

@seppli said:

@sharkethic said:

@demoskinos said:

You can't mute players in GTA V. At least if you aren't the host (not even sure if the host can). You only can mute players in Free Roam, and it's a hassle there too.

The system is shit, agreed, but if you mute players in Free Roam they're also muted in missions etc.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op16GL-xcow&t=3m50s

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#57  Edited By UncleDisco

I think the whole destroying personal cars, counting as being a bad sport, is a bad design choice. If they don't want people blowing up those cars, then why am I able to do it in the first place?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By musubi

@sharkethic: Nah, I always like listening to podcasts or music while I play multiplayer games anyways so it just so happens to fix the annoying people on the mic problem as well. =D

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: I actually do that as well, just saying, when it comes to avoiding random 13-year-old's racially charged hate speech online, you have options:)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gnubberen: Makes even less sense when every death costs you 2k yet they aren't cool with blowing up your car. I think its fairly tolerant. I was in a number of scuffles the other day that resulted in me blowing up 4-5 personal vehicles. Still didn't get put in the separate pool.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a good system. Along with the flawed passive mode, Rockstar basically has a really inelegant workaround to simply having pvp or non pvp lobbies. I also don't like the idea of getting bad sport points for quitting games. Just reward players who stay.

Vigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only blew up 2 personal cars so far, and my reasons were completely justified. Don't leave your personal car parked in front of the pay n spray, blocking its entrance, and I wont be forced to have it removed with C4.

Being marked as a bad player for blowing up cars is pretty clownish, if your car isn't insured then its your own fault. Don't be cheap people.

Double0hFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

What's the point of GRAND THEFT AUTO if you can't blow shit up? If I want to keep a car, I get it insured because I assume it will be blown up at some point, other than that, I could care less. If people are so bothered by people killing them/blowing up their cars, why don't they go into passive mode? I haven't been a bad sport yet but my friend has for blowing up player's cars who were trying to kill him first and what better way to defend yourself than to put them out of commission?

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Stop playing Free Aim. Traditional GTA has a much bigger pool.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vigil: Since you can do some Bad Sport behaviour without repercussion it seems more like a warning to me. Not knowing the math that Rockstar use it could very well be that certain conditions would mean things get flagged less than otherwise.

And the phrase it 'couldn't care less' since if you say you could care less then you are saying you do care somewhat.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Sounds like you deserve to be in the dunce pool, duder. No offence.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By Sarumarine

I'm still shocked that blowing up personal vehicles is considered Bad Sport behavior. I was trying to steal a helicopter that actually had guns on it when someone shot me out of the cockpit and stole it instead. However, he left his vehicle behind so I figured the only revenge I could get was putting a sticky bomb on the thing and watching it burn. I was really confused and angry when the Bad Sport warning popped up.

So killing people and costing them thousands of dollars is a-okay? But once you mess with another man/woman's automobile that's too far? This is Grand Theft Auto right? I don't understand this "anything but the vehicle!" mentality. You insure that thing or you take your chances. I wish I had the Ignition Bomb unlocked for that, but I'm not sure if it carries over through matchmaking and doing jobs. It would have been like a free-form Marco's Bistro mission from GTA III.

Anyways, still baffled destroying other people's cars after they've wronged you is considered bad behavior, considering how many missions are based around doing bad things to another person's car for little to no reason.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still shocked that blowing up personal vehicles is considered Bad Sport behavior. I was trying to steal a helicopter that actually had guns on it when someone shot me out of the cockpit and stole it instead. However, he left his vehicle behind so I figured the only revenge I could get was putting a sticky bomb on the thing and watching it burn. I was really confused and angry when the Bad Sport warning popped up.

So killing people and costing them thousands of dollars is a-okay? But once you mess with another man/woman's automobile that's too far? This is Grand Theft Auto right? I don't understand this "anything but the vehicle!" mentality. You insure that thing or you take your chances. I wish I had the Ignition Bomb unlocked for that, but I'm not sure if it carries over through matchmaking and doing jobs. It would have been like a free-form Marco's Bistro mission from GTA III.

Anyways, still baffled destroying other people's cars after they've wronged you is considered bad behavior, considering how many missions are based around doing bad things to another person's car for little to no reason.

Eh, fuck those pussies. The day I am put in the "Bad Sport" pool of players is the day I wear it like a badge of honor. It's GTA. PK'ing and blowing shit up is the name of the game. If some asshole doesn't like it, perhaps they should go play some care bear video game where their hand is held 24/7.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sarumarine said:

Eh, fuck those pussies. The day I am put in the "Bad Sport" pool of players is the day I wear it like a badge of honor. It's GTA. PK'ing and blowing shit up is the name of the game. If some asshole doesn't like it, perhaps they should go play some care bear video game where their hand is held 24/7.

haha I think the issue here is why is PKing ok but not collateral damage?

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sarumarine said:

It sounds like you should love the bad-sport system, after all it's going to put you into a pool with like-minded players, right?

Oh, what's that? You don't want to be with people who play like you, and just want to grief others who don't?

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubberbabybuggybumpers: Actually, it's GTA. A single player game only now really made multi player so what it is, is whatever they are defining it as.

You can blow as many player vehicles up as you like, you have the freedom to do so. If you do that sort of thing enough then you'll be pooled with other players with like minds. I don't see the issue.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aishan said:

@rubberbabybuggybumpers said:

@sarumarine said:

It sounds like you should love the bad-sport system, after all it's going to put you into a pool with like-minded players, right?

Oh, what's that? You don't want to be with people who play like you, and just want to grief others who don't?

Actually, I would like that a lot. Like minded players would make things more interesting. Why is it that I always have to initiate a giant gunfight on the map with other players who aren't doing jack shit but driving around?

Opus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Convenient that this is one of the top threads, I just received my first wag of the finger after blowing up the car of some guy that tried to run me over as I was strolling down the sidewalk, it left a really bitter taste.

Fine, charge me the $400 to replace their car, but don't slap me on the wrist for blowing up a car, it's GTA, friggin' everyone is in a car most of the time.